Exporting Information from E

Started by Kythia, January 09, 2015, 06:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

So I've been learning Python by setting myself little projects.  What I'd really like to make is one of those things (tag clouds?) where its a collection of all words used with the size of the word proportional to the number of times it has been used.  Specifically, it'd be cool if I could do one for my E output.

Obviously I can see all my posts (here) but I don't much fancy copy/pasting them one by one in to a text document.  Is there a way of automatically dumping them in to Notepad or something?  If there is, can that be refined even further - All my posts in, say NC Human Solo or everything but my posts in Ladies Only or whatever?

If anyone knows of a way it'd be awesome if they could just throw me some key terms to Google and I'll figure it from there - if that's not too much to ask.

Lrrr

Since you still haven't gotten a response I'll take it that the powers that be know of no easy way to export your posts directly from E.  That being the case, I would suggest using a macro recorder like Ghost Control to record the keystrokes/mouse commands needed to display the next page of your posts, select everything on the page, copy it, and paste it into notepad or whatever.  It's not that hard once you get the hang of the macro recorder, but it is slow and putsy to get the macro script set up and working.

Once you get the posts extracted into something reasonable like a text file, you run into the bigger challenge - parsing the file to extract only your posts (no embedded quotes, titles, etc.).  This is slow and putsy work too but you're a clever girl and can work it out.

I might play with it a bit just for fun.  It would definitely be a challenge to make the parser elegant so it handled all the goofy stuff that would appear in the output.

If I've been online here on E but I haven't replied to your post or message, there are several possible reasons - none of which involve ignoring you.  Be patient - I'm worth it.
ONs & OFFs Plus Other Goodies!    2018-01-16 Updated A/As

Beguile's Mistress

Look up and to the right.  See the print button?  Click it.  You'll get a text only version of the thread.  You can copy it from there ot a word doc.

Lrrr

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on February 03, 2015, 09:42:51 PM
Look up and to the right.  See the print button?  Click it.  You'll get a text only version of the thread.  You can copy it from there ot a word doc.
Yeah, but there's no nice Print button on the web page listing all of a person's posts.  I think Kythia is looking only for her writing here on E, or did I miss the original question?

If I've been online here on E but I haven't replied to your post or message, there are several possible reasons - none of which involve ignoring you.  Be patient - I'm worth it.
ONs & OFFs Plus Other Goodies!    2018-01-16 Updated A/As