News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Sea Wolves

Started by HairyHeretic, June 22, 2015, 07:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Quote from: King Serperior on June 23, 2015, 08:08:10 PM
Thanks for the clarification!

No worries.

Quote from: King Serperior on June 23, 2015, 08:08:10 PM
Judging from this, I am thinking I'll play as a Sellsword.  He'll be born of magical blood, but be highly skilled with the blade.  His blade, pale blue and almost translucent, as if it were made of ice, was forged using both spell and hammer, thus creating an edge that is extremely sharp, sharper than a razor, and bites with the deepest cold, numbing the foes body with even the smallest of cuts.  Wielding Frostbite, this 'outsider' was hired by a local merchant from a northern region and is well-known for his skills.  His magical talents don't end at his blade though.  By entering into a semi-trance state, he can enter the mind of a wild beast and coordinate his efforts with that of the beast to aid his combat. 

I think trancing out in combat is a good way to get yourself killed :)

It sounds like what you have in mind in something like the wargs in Game of Thrones, able to take control of an animal, which wouldn't be a bad idea. Having a trained animal companion that would help in combat is also doable, but I'm not sure that merging the two ideas would work so well.

Quote from: Amarlo on June 23, 2015, 10:27:38 PM
So any preference for the type of information going onto character sheets? :)

Not so far. Basic appearance, maybe a little on the personality, and any noteworthy equipment, skills or abilities should cover the essentials.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

King Serperior

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 24, 2015, 02:01:21 PM
I think trancing out in combat is a good way to get yourself killed :)

It sounds like what you have in mind in something like the wargs in Game of Thrones, able to take control of an animal, which wouldn't be a bad idea. Having a trained animal companion that would help in combat is also doable, but I'm not sure that merging the two ideas would work so well.
Haha, true!  :P

That said, the Wargs are where I got the idea (even though I am only about halfway through season 3 and barely 200 pages into the first book).  The way I see him is that he has a trained 'blood-hawk' (A really hardy bird that is an omen of death where he hails from.  It's effectively a larger and more dangerous Raven and just as smart) as his animal companion.  Depending on how other characters get set up, I may have him hired to either side, following the riches. 

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

HairyHeretic

Well, there's no reason you couldn't modify the idea a bit. Have it trained to assist in combat, or have him able to warg it out of combat. Would that work for you?

Also, what sort of story do you envision with him? Which side does he start and finish on? Would be betray whoever had hired him if he started off opposing the raiders?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

IrishWolf

Two questions,
How common would enchanted weapons be? And does this world have metals with special properties, like mithril?

King Serperior

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 24, 2015, 03:23:28 PM
Well, there's no reason you couldn't modify the idea a bit. Have it trained to assist in combat, or have him able to warg it out of combat. Would that work for you?
That's what I was thinking.  In combat, it would provide aerial support.  To those who haven't been to the northern lands where he hails from, it would just look like a regular carrion bird awaiting bloodshed, not something that can swoop in and take out someone's unprotected eyes.  Outside of battle, his use with the bird would be very valued.
Also, what sort of story do you envision with him? Which side does he start and finish on? Would be betray whoever had hired him if he started off opposing the raiders?
Well, the story I see him doing is searching for the 'Legendary Nine,' a set of nine swords forged long ago, each having magical properties.  His sword, Frostbite, is one such blade, though he will never say where he found it or how he obtained it.  He knows it's unlikely that he will ever find all nine in his lifetime, but he dares hope.  Meanwhile, he travels with whomever pays him best.

As for where he starts and finishes, that depends on what other characters fall into.  It wouldn't be unlikely that he has decided to travel with the Sea Wolves.  However, if he didn't start on the side of the raiders, he would betray whoever he started with if they paid him more than whomever he was receiving his pay from.  Of course, he's not so greedy that he's blinded by it.  He's smart enough to know who is on the winning side and will join them without hesitation, so long as there is profit to be made.  Otherwise, he'd quietly slip away and be far away by the time the bodies are counted.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: IrishWolf on June 24, 2015, 04:01:47 PM
Two questions,
How common would enchanted weapons be? And does this world have metals with special properties, like mithril?

I think magic should be somewhat uncommon. A person of note such as a noble or hero type might have a magic weapon, or one thought to be magic. Think of it as common enough that everyone would know stories, but rare enough that many people wouldn't have any experience with it, though it would be more common in larger population centres where you would have major temples and such like.

I don't see why there couldn't be metal with special properties. What sort of thing are you thinking about?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Amarlo

Name: Priestess Inanna of the Amonian Temple
Species:  Human
Sexuality:  Heterosexual

Appearance: Inanna is a bodacious babe easily recognized for her exotic beauty. With dark hair and painted mocha flesh befitting an ancient Sumerian goddess, our little shaman stands only at a height of five feet and three inches. Green hazel eyes mark her in Gaia’s creation.
More Images

Gear: Clay or stone pots, bowls, jars, pestles and utensils; macramé or woven baskets and clothing. A fishing spear and bolline, decorative beaded and shell strung jewelry, small leather purses full of various herbs and poultices.

Special talents:  Inanna is a first class Shaman and Amonian Priestess that pays homage to no tribe or people and caters too all in exchange for various trade. She is an exceptional healer(Both spiritual and physical) and herbalist. Although healing is not an instant thing she can speed up an injury that would take a month to recover to only a couple of days at the cost of extreme fatigue, bedrest and sometimes temporary coma in the injured person. She is also quite an accomplished apothecary, weaver and macramé enthusiast.

History: Time forgotten or not, wars happen and it was a war of tribes that saw to the end of her own. The Na’ku’tAa were long ago extinct, cut down at the knees when she was just old enough to remember their horrors. Her mentor, the great shamaness of the tribe at the time, was quick to whisk her away from all the bloodshed and retreat to the dangerous but welcoming arms of the forest. It was there that Inanna spent a few short years of her life in relative peace hiding away from the rest of the world while she continued her studies as an apprentice.

Alas, nothing is meant to last. Her mentor, Moga, was only human and had long ago grown accustomed to a life of reverence and comfort. She succumbed to her own sins of greed and to acquire a more accommodating life Inanna was sold into priesthood for her unusual magical talents. She could have found worse, right? And while the life of a priestess was not the most liberating one her tragedies could have left her much worse off – or at least that’s what she told herself.

Today she can be seen collecting vegetation or shells on the beach, usually humming or quietly singing amongst herself. She is rumored to help those abandoned, lost and in need but otherwise has never been known to actually speak.

Sexual ons: Same as player
Sexual offs: Same as player

Foot Note: Amonian religion is a polytheistic and animistic religion with pantheistic undertones much like the Druidic teachings but primarily focuses on the ocean as the cradle of all life. This is because the somewhat salty taste of the ocean is heavily associated with the female womb. It is very ritualistic in practice and usually involves ocean water, ocean vegetation, fish and salt. The temple can hold multiple Priests and Priestesses.

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

HairyHeretic

Quote from: King Serperior on June 24, 2015, 04:08:28 PM
That's what I was thinking.  In combat, it would provide aerial support.  To those who haven't been to the northern lands where he hails from, it would just look like a regular carrion bird awaiting bloodshed, not something that can swoop in and take out someone's unprotected eyes.  Outside of battle, his use with the bird would be very valued.Well, the story I see him doing is searching for the 'Legendary Nine,' a set of nine swords forged long ago, each having magical properties.  His sword, Frostbite, is one such blade, though he will never say where he found it or how he obtained it.  He knows it's unlikely that he will ever find all nine in his lifetime, but he dares hope.  Meanwhile, he travels with whomever pays him best.

So, is he originally from the same lands as the raiders? That would make it easier for him to change sides, or claim he sailed in on a different ship, or ahead of the raid as a scout.

Quote from: King Serperior on June 24, 2015, 04:08:28 PM
As for where he starts and finishes, that depends on what other characters fall into.  It wouldn't be unlikely that he has decided to travel with the Sea Wolves.  However, if he didn't start on the side of the raiders, he would betray whoever he started with if they paid him more than whomever he was receiving his pay from.  Of course, he's not so greedy that he's blinded by it.  He's smart enough to know who is on the winning side and will join them without hesitation, so long as there is profit to be made.  Otherwise, he'd quietly slip away and be far away by the time the bodies are counted.

Makes sense *nods*

Okay, I'm going to get a proper OOC thread and character thread up in the next day or two, when I have a bit more free time (and more importantly, a less early start in the morning :) ). I'll also update the first post here with a little on the characters we have, so it will be easier for any newcomers to see what we have and what we don't have. If you know anyone that you think might enjoy this, feel free to direct them this way as well. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Sara Nilsson

question, what will the story arc be? or will it just be player made content?

HairyHeretic

Little from column A, little from column B

I have an idea or two that I can use once the initial raid would finish up, but if the players want to drive the story, or work in personal storylines, I'm all in favour of this :)

It's a big world out there, and a bad storm can drive a single ship all kinds of interesting places :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

King Serperior

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 25, 2015, 05:07:00 PM
So, is he originally from the same lands as the raiders? That would make it easier for him to change sides, or claim he sailed in on a different ship, or ahead of the raid as a scout.he
Indeed.  He is probably farther north than from where the raiders come from as he comes from an icy, landlocked land.  That said, he more than likely knows of the raiders and perhaps they know of the man who wields an icy blade.
Okay, I'm going to get a proper OOC thread and character thread up in the next day or two, when I have a bit more free time (and more importantly, a less early start in the morning :) ). I'll also update the first post here with a little on the characters we have, so it will be easier for any newcomers to see what we have and what we don't have. If you know anyone that you think might enjoy this, feel free to direct them this way as well. :)
Alright, I think I'll begin working on a CS fairly soon.  This week has been really, really busy for me. 

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

IrishWolf

Alright, so here’s my idea for my character and the metal.

There’s a large, mountainous isle, off the coast of the northlands. Its soil makes for poor farming but beneath the rocky peaks, rich deposits of iron and Gullhstál or in other languages, Golden Iron or Fire Gold. A rare metal, only found on the island, it is the color of pure gold and can be mistaken for that precious ore, at least until one tries to refine it, for it metals at a higher temperature than iron, never mind that of gold and will remain cool to the touch, until it is almost ready to metal. As such, it's a hard metal to work with, save for the methods of the island’s smiths, who have almost become a cult, with their secretive ways. However, once it has been forged into weapons and armor, the beautiful golden hues take on a reddish undertone, as if the fire is trapped within the Gullhstál and makes a metal stronger than steel, to which magic is easily bound.

The Thane of the islands rules a small clan, as not much food is grown there and living off the bounty of the sea, can be tricky. Although fewer in number, than other clans of the northman, few have tried to invade them and all have failed. The rocky nature of the islands means numbers are useless, the defenders can always find a way to force the attackers to face them on an equal front and their strongholds are half craved from the island. Not to mention, nearly every seax, sword and axe of the islanders are of Gullhstál and their spears, arrows and mail are of fine steel. The Thane himself is clad in coat of Gullhstál mail and his helmet is the same, as are the helmets of his household warriors.

The Thane has been able to resist the new leader among the Northmen and has pledged himself as an ally, not a vassal to this great man. As such, he has brought along a small but well equipped contingent, for the raiding of the southern lands.

What do you think?

A Painter

Interested!

Does this have room for a seer from a tropical island?  Agendered, potentially bisexual, and whose powers/status of magical person are linked to their staying androgynous.
Potentially a slave already, kidnapped or sold to a noble in Albrook, willing to turn on the people who enslaved them.

Max

Is there anyone that is going to defend our fair city, not sell it out or betray it?  :)

Slave seer?  Interesting.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Julles

Quote from: Max on June 26, 2015, 12:22:29 PM
Is there anyone that is going to defend our fair city, not sell it out or betray it?  :)

Slave seer?  Interesting.

Haha. Yeah, I was thinking of playing a high priestess or something. Now I think I'm just going to play a kick ass warrior chick. For the city!! Lol. Idk. Kind of lonely on this side. :/

HairyHeretic

Quote from: IrishWolf on June 26, 2015, 05:16:38 AM
There’s a large, mountainous isle, off the coast of the northlands. Its soil makes for poor farming but beneath the rocky peaks, rich deposits of iron and Gullhstál or in other languages, Golden Iron or Fire Gold. A rare metal, only found on the island, it is the color of pure gold and can be mistaken for that precious ore, at least until one tries to refine it, for it metals at a higher temperature than iron, never mind that of gold and will remain cool to the touch, until it is almost ready to metal. As such, it's a hard metal to work with, save for the methods of the island’s smiths, who have almost become a cult, with their secretive ways. However, once it has been forged into weapons and armor, the beautiful golden hues take on a reddish undertone, as if the fire is trapped within the Gullhstál and makes a metal stronger than steel, to which magic is easily bound.

So would his blade be enchanted, or just capable of being enchanted, and for the moment it is, in effect, a very high quality steel?

Quote from: A Painter on June 26, 2015, 08:59:05 AM
Does this have room for a seer from a tropical island?  Agendered, potentially bisexual, and whose powers/status of magical person are linked to their staying androgynous.
Potentially a slave already, kidnapped or sold to a noble in Albrook, willing to turn on the people who enslaved them.

I don't see why not, though we already have one Priestess type. Are you happy doubling up, or would you prefer something more unique?

Quote from: Julles on June 26, 2015, 12:31:03 PM
Haha. Yeah, I was thinking of playing a high priestess or something. Now I think I'm just going to play a kick ass warrior chick. For the city!! Lol. Idk. Kind of lonely on this side. :/

Mercenary? Military? Civilian militia? Someone from a Knightly order (or something along those lines) perhaps?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Dark Raven

This sounds interesting.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

HairyHeretic

You're more than welcome to join us :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

IrishWolf

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 26, 2015, 03:15:11 PM
So would his blade be enchanted, or just capable of being enchanted, and for the moment it is, in effect, a very high quality steel?

It would be capable of being enchanted, at the start of the story

King Serperior

In regards to enchanted blades, as part of my character's story (most of which is his secret), he will start with one of 9 legendary blades, Frostbite.  As said earlier, it was forged with spell and hammer over 3,000 years ago.  No one knows who exactly forged the blades and they were scattered over the world over time.  In regards to Frostbite's enchantments:  It requires no whetstone as it will keep it's edge as sharp as the day it was forged;  It's sharper than nearly all man-made blades as well as stronger;  It's made from an unknown metal that is an icy blue and appears almost translucent;  The blade itself repels blood quickly;  If anyone but the one who it considers the 'owner' touches it, it will become extremely cold to the point of pain;  Cuts from this blade chills to the bone and numbs the body where it cut;  If the blade's cut is not properly taken care of, frostbite will quickly set it.

A powerful and dangerous weapon, yes, but not unbeatable.  My character will still be a man if someone manages to disarm him.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Amarlo

Quote from: King Serperior on June 26, 2015, 04:17:06 PM
In regards to enchanted blades, as part of my character's story (most of which is his secret), he will start with one of 9 legendary blades, Frostbite.  As said earlier, it was forged with spell and hammer over 3,000 years ago.  No one knows who exactly forged the blades and they were scattered over the world over time.  In regards to Frostbite's enchantments:  It requires no whetstone as it will keep it's edge as sharp as the day it was forged;  It's sharper than nearly all man-made blades as well as stronger;  It's made from an unknown metal that is an icy blue and appears almost translucent;  The blade itself repels blood quickly;  If anyone but the one who it considers the 'owner' touches it, it will become extremely cold to the point of pain;  Cuts from this blade chills to the bone and numbs the body where it cut;  If the blade's cut is not properly taken care of, frostbite will quickly set it.

A powerful and dangerous weapon, yes, but not unbeatable.  My character will still be a man if someone manages to disarm him.

Would your character be a leader of some sort? If he was the leader of the raiders maybe that's the whole shtick behind it. It's a legendary blade that chooses its own wielder and after one tribe leader dies there are a series of tests where people try to touch the blade without said pain in the end :D Could be a cool way to keep it from being something inherited through family lines and maybe even start up rumors outside of the tribe about their leader being immortal because of holding said legendary sword for such and such generations without them really realizing the switch up xD

You know, because of the whole 'every one they come across dies!" "but how do we have the stories?!" kind of thing =P

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

King Serperior

Name:  Arren Ironskin
Species:  Human
Employment:  Sellsword/Adventurer
Sexuality:  Not very picky (Read as Pansexual);  Has a slight preference to females

Appearance:  Arren is a slight, but firm man with long, dark hair that reaches down past his shoulders.  His body is lean and hard, which comes from being a sellsword and his adventures across the land and seas.  It is rare to see him not wearing his emerald ring, the only thing he has to remind him of where he came from.  He stands at a little under six feet tall.  His eyes are a bright green and are full of wit and humor.

Other Images:  1, 2

Gear:  Frostbite, an Axe, a worn travel cloak, a wineskin, a couple of daggers, an emerald ring, well-worn light armor, and various nicknacks that he has come to collect out of curiosity.
Frostbite:  One of the Nine Blades of Legend, it forged with spell and hammer over 3,000 years ago.  No one knows who exactly forged the blades and they were scattered over the world over time.  In regards to Frostbite's enchantments:  It requires no whetstone as it will keep it's edge as sharp as the day it was forged;  It's sharper than nearly all man-made blades as well as stronger;  It's made from an unknown metal that is an icy blue and appears almost translucent;  The blade itself repels blood quickly;  If anyone but the one who it considers the 'owner' touches it, it will become extremely cold to the point of pain;  Cuts from this blade chills to the bone and numbs the body where it cut;  If the blade's cut is not properly taken care of, frostbite will quickly set it.
Axe:  Not only is it a useful tool, but it is also his backup weapon should he be unable to reach Frostbite in time.  He has the strength and skill to split a man's skull in two with ease.
2x Daggers:  Mainly used for skinning animals or spearing meat, they are also extremely useful as concealed weapons.

Special Talents:  Arren is one of a rare number of individuals who are said to be one with the spirits.  As such, he can enter into a trance-like state and enter the mind of his animal companion, Windreaper, a Blood Hawk from his lands.  This allows him to be a useful spy and scout.
Windreaper:  Windreaper is Arren's animal companion.  A Blood Hawk, they are long-living, incredibly intelligent, raven-like birds that can fly as silently as any owl.  In the lands where he comes from, Blood Hawks are the omen of death and decay, a very bad sign for anyone.  Colored a deep, dark red, almost black, one can easily mistake one for a carrion bird....until they look into it's eyes and see the malicious intelligence in its eyes.

History:  Hailing from a frozen, landlocked piece of land, Arren's life was tough.  However, that never stopped him from seeking adventure, especially after hearing one of the elders of the small town he lived in tell stories that most consider myths and legends.  By the time he came of age of 16, with just an axe in hand, he left his home far behind.  For the next nine years, he traveled farther than he would have ever hoped, nearly dying sometimes.  It was all great fun to him though as it beat wasting your life away.

On the age of 25, he was wandering in a frozen part of his homeland, nearly frozen over.  Just when he believed it was the end, he noticed a bird that seemed to give him the strength to carry on into a small cave with a pool of heated water:  A hidden spring.  As he collapsed on the hot rocks, his mind took him into the mind of the bird that saved him.  He saw many things, some that seemed too extraordinary to be real.  One of those visions was of a beautiful sword, it's blade the color of ice.  Three days later, he awoke to find the bird staring at him, a Blood Hawk.  From that moment on, he knew he found his destiny and a relationship like no other was forged.

The following 10 years was spent traveling where, at some point, he came across the blade in his vision.  How and where he found it, he will never say.  During that time, he began to make himself known as a sellsword who's skill was worth every piece of gold his price demanded.  More often than not, he is seen enjoying life, be it women, wine, or gambling.  He still travels in search of the other 8 Blades of Legend and, in his heart, feels he is close to discovering the resting place of one of them.....

Sexual Ons:  Same as player (PM first)
Sexual Offs:  Same as player (PM first)

Other Notes:  I would prefer that the other Eight Blades of Legend not be under the ownership of PCs.  This is part of my character's story, his search for them.  Thank you!

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

HairyHeretic

A blade with a history, perhaps even some kind of curse, is a fairly cool element in a number of fantasy stories. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

King Serperior

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 27, 2015, 06:03:56 PM
A blade with a history, perhaps even some kind of curse, is a fairly cool element in a number of fantasy stories. :)
Cursed?  Pray tell what gives you that idea.

That said, I'm glad you like what you see.  ^.^  I still haven't decided whether he'll be on the side of the raiders at the start or on the side of someone in the city. 

If you have questions/comments/concerns regarding him, please let me know.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

HairyHeretic

The cursed comment was in response to Amarlo's post, sorry for any confusion :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die