languages other than english?

Started by jeff25sweet, October 18, 2010, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff25sweet

Hi all, I was wondering it it is allowed to play forum games in a language other than english? Just curious.

Oniya

I believe I've seen an RP that was in German - that's between you and your RP partner.  If you're talking about the socialization areas, where anyone can take part, you should probably be prepared to give a translation if anyone inquires.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

I thought I had seen a guideline somewhere that all non-English posts or phrases had to have an English translation supplied (at least on request), since this is an English language writing site. Right now I'm unable to find the thread/post where I saw that but it is probably somewhere in the Help section.

It might well have been here - under 'In General'.

https://elliquiy.com/guidelines

Though I may have misread it as it seems to refer to acronyms and other forms of compressed modern English.

Will

The actual wording says that if -asked- for a translation, you should give it.  I honestly can't see anyone demanding a translation for an RP they aren't involved in, so I can't imagine it being an issue.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oreo

It shouldn't be an issue. There are simple page translators like: Google Translator,to make it easy to check on the content.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Haibane

An Admin person needs to supply the correct answer but my feeling is that stories and games here should be in English as the guidelines say it's an English writing site.

It might be a one in a thousand chance that a translation is asked for but it would seem that its up to the poster to supply a translation if asked, since online translators often give you complete rubbish that totally garbles all the subtleties of the meaning and a rough approximation isn't the point where its a literary piece.

I always supply a translation as a footnote under the post for the Japanese I use in a few games.

Trieste

It's largely not an issue unless people make an issue of it.

jeff25sweet

Thank you all for your answers. I was actually looking to play something in Hindi, I was wondering if there are other members here who understand Hindi. Given that there are so many members, I am sure there are many who know Hindi. Any suggestions how to find members who speak a particular language? Shall I just state this wish along with the RP idea when I post it in one-on-one section? Thanks again everyone. And the trouble with translation is that one can never quite get the feel of the 'original' in a translated version however good the translation is, that is the point why I get a craving to play in Hindi from time to time.

Another suggestion I need is the following? I watched some interesting videos that are in Japanese and Russian. The clips are at most 5-10 mins and I want to use them to build a RP story around them. For that I need to know what they are saying in those videos. I am sure there must be someone who speaks Japanese or Russian here, how do I find those members and request them to help me with the video translations. Also is it ok within E rules to post video links in the 'RP ideas' sections?

Thanks a ton again dears!

jeff25sweet

Another general suggestion: If the views of a particular post are increasing, but the replies are not, then the post should be automatically removed as it is most likely not an interesting one but is wasting others' time by attracting them to read it.... no pun intended :).

cheers, jeff.

Lilias

We have a non-deletion policy; posts are not removed except for violation of rules. Even indulging in deleting your own posts can land you into trouble.

All posts on E, apart from rules and stickies, are optional to read. If you choose to read something and end up finding it uninteresting and a waste of your time, well, your time is your own, as is your choice, and we can do nothing about either.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Not to mention, some people like to keep their request thread 'neat', and ask that people only respond by PM.  A thread like that could garner a thousand views easily on a site the size of Elliquiy, plenty of responses via PM, but still show up as a thread with 'no replies', or limited replies as the original poster adds story ideas.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17