Vagabonds: New World of Darkness Game. (interest)

Started by Senti, December 03, 2010, 07:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senti

We follow the taillights out of the city
Moving in a river of red,
As the colours fade away from the dusky sunset
We roll for the darkness ahead.

Chorus:
We are old, we are young, we are in this together,
Vagabonds and children, prisoners forever
With pulses a-raging and eyes full of wonder
Kicking out behind us again .

Night-time City Beat the radio is calling
The lost and lonely in vain,
Out here we are running for the wide open spaces
The road-smell after the rain.

Chorus:
We are old, we are young, we are in this together,
Vagabonds and children, prisoners forever
With pulses a-raging and eyes full of wonder
Kicking out behind us again.

And watching as a boy alone at the quayside
The ships loading cargo in the night.
Their names all calling to faraway places
The years go past, the miles go by
And still this childhood romance will not die.

Vagabonds, New Modal Army

As it says on the tin this is a New World of Darkness game, and is an interest check.

The game is set in the late eighties / early nineties in Britain. I will now suggest that though the events that may happen in the game are in fact ‘real’ they may not completely be historically correct. Forgive me for that...though it is a ST’s prerogative.

The game is one that I intend to be a mixed game including all the supernaturals, (save Prometheans, Hunters too, (unless  we can come up with an interesting reason for hunters being here)) So I am more than happy to welcome most of you Wolves, Lings, Mages, Vamps... etc.

Now the game will revolve around a group of New Age Travellers, who live in bus’s, vans and all manner of vehicles and obviously travel within Britain, usually in the summer months to festivals and Raves and the like. However in the winter they often find somewhere to squat. It is a very tight knit community; though one that obviously understands secrets and secrecy.  Characters need not start from this background but in the end I hope they will become a part of it. As what is the saying ‘seven degrees of separation?’  Thus many events could cause a character to take up this lifestyle and I am more than happy to play this through this.

This is not foremost a sexual game however relationships can and I am sure will happen. It will be EX due to the possible violence.

This is just an interest check more information will follow if needed.

Thank you

RubySlippers

I'm in for a mortal, not a hunter but humans can be fun and not overly complicated. Unless you have to be a supernatural?

Hellion000

Sign me up. Blitzy too, as long as we're talking about a small group.

Blitzy

O_O

How are you signing me up for this without me saying it was fine? You're a brat.

Honestly, I might be interested after the new year but until then I can't take on any more games. I'm already struggling and I'm going to be even MORE sparse because I'm going to be moving back to Florida.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Senti

A mortal is absolutly fine, after all most of the folks in the world are.

Naughty Hellion!!!

Blitzy

He is naughty. I personally think he just wants a spanking.

Hellion000

Naughty? Yes. Wanting a spanking? No.

Teaser:

Seeming: Darkling/ Beast
Kith: Leechfinger/Venombite
Court: Spring

Basic Image: Jared Leto meets The Goblin King.

Elf

This has some interest for me, but I have to admit that I am not at all familiar with the "New World of Darkness" game system.
Would I need to study the system? Or would just some basic information be enough? I can and will do some research on my own.

If at all possible, I would like to use a were-tiger as my character. If not a wolf will do.

Hellion may not want a spanking, but perhaps is in need of one.

Muse

Elf, New World of Darkness has a very straightforwards and approachable core mechanic that works nicely on line.  :) 

Though I personally have a deep and abiding love for the Classic World of Darkness, the New World has a lot to recommend it, and it's system is very high on that list. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Senti

The system will not be overly important in the game, it’s more a guide for the players  and myself than anything else. I can PM you details if needs be.

I think a wolf would be more applicable in the setting, bearing in mind that if werewolves are rare... tigers are almost non existent. The Werewolves are a little different to those in the old setting but again I will PM all you need to know.

Thanks Muse :)

Elf

Thank you, Muse.

I am not familiar with either the new or the old, the differences really are not important for this. I have actually never played any of White Wolf's games. My experience with gaming systems is basically limited to AD&D 2nd edition, Champions, and Nightlife. All I would really need to know is what are the limitations on the races in question and what character information you need. I realize that tigers would far more rare then wolves, which is kind of why I want one. If there is nothing in the system covering tigers and/ or it is what you prefer a wolf is acceptable I have played and RPed with both before. Either way I will most likely be starting my character as a solitary individual, probably from the US.

Senti

Will send you a PM later today (if not tommorow).

Elf

Sounds good. looking forward to receiving your message.

Keelan

I'm interested, and the only books I have are Core, Mage, Changeling, Promethean, and Geist... so would you be cool with a Mage?  Nothing makes a WoD game complete unless one party member risks having the fabric of reality eat someone every time she casts a spell ^_^

...which means I'll be hoping for more Vamps, Mages, and Wolves to show up so I can actually do the really fun stuff >.>

This would be at base xp I assume?

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

Senti

A mage would be so lovely :)

Are you thinking of a ‘Vagabond?’ Or someone that happens to end up there?  Either way is fantastic.  There are ways and means to get folks together.

Ruby Slippers  she looks great  to me.

Muse if you wish to step up that would be lovely indeed.

thanks

Blitzy

*Stretches.*

I've been pushing this around in my head a bit. I do think that I would enjoy playing, when I have the time, and I'd likely make a Changeling or Werewolf. Those are my two favorite venues within the nWoD arena.

The question I have is... are you intending for everyone to know what each other is? How will you explain their co-mingling when some of the splats are pretty... antagonist to each other? It's not as bad as in oWoD, no, but there are still some rivalries and hatred there. Distrust. Is it just that they've all been brought together by circumstance and believe there's trust or...?

>_> Lots of questions, I know.

Blitzy

Oh! Also...

Is it strictly by the book? Any banned merits? Are you offering XP incentives?

Hellion000

Character sheet is finished. Now I need to work on a background.

Senti

Right well....

In the circle of the ‘Vagabonds’ it is very close knit society. There are secrets within secrets.  There is also varying matters that each person might be allowed to know. However they as a group, and have a common enemy. 

Think of this group of folks (whether NPC or PC) as family you cannot choose them but hey they are always there. For better or worse.  Bearing in mind they  except ‘most folks’ without  too many questions as long as they pull their weight and don’t bring harm.  It’s a great place to hide out... 

Those that are not a part of the group or not accepted may find a harder time to find acceptance.
There are levels of knowledge in the game that will be PMed to those that need it, as in the different factions..

Werewolf  or Ling would be good, as for XP or Start off XP  give me a super background  and all will be well for extra’s.

As for banned merits, it is dependant again on the story, and character....though a Jedi/werewolf /ling /mage hybrid might be a little too much.

My view  is  if a background can seriously justify it , that’s usually alright.

Hope that helps.

This game is based on the idea of  The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and war makes strange bedfellows.

Blitzy

*Grins.*

Alright. That is helpful, Senti. Thank you!

Crovonovin

Definitely interested in this game!  Before I set off to create a character (and for the time being, I'm thinking of a vampire), are there any specific bloodlines that you don't want to crop up?  Furthermore, will we be starting off at basic Neonate-level experience or something slightly higher than that, in terms of experience?

Senti

First, I won’t crop bloodlines if they fit with the setting; however it is worth remembering that Vampires only get to play at night. (Will allow a ‘human’ extra if needed.)

As for XP if I am given an interesting and sensible background more XP is allowed for a start off character.

The Great Triangle

Is there anybody up to playing a mage yet?   I'd be fairly interested in playing a Moros ghost hunter type who's interested in trying to keep the spirits of the world at rest and in balance, and travels with the Vagabonds in a sort of "Damage Control" capacity.   He'll likely specialize in death and spirit magic, with perhaps a bit of mind magic mixed in.   Perhaps he's loosely associated with the Guardians of the Veil, though mostly in the capacity that they have open lines of communication and occasionally ask favors of each other.

I think my main concern in designing the character would be making sure his abilities are tailored to help uphold the masquerade and keep the peace among the many different supernatural factions without becoming a threat to the rest of the vagabonds.  If there's a changeling in the group, he could be oathbound in a couple of instances not to interfere in internal politics of the group, or perhaps a one or two drink viniculum to one of the vampires.  The hypothetical character isn't the law among the group, but when they're making trouble, he'll want to know about it.  (which isn't exactly hard for a mage)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Senti

There is a possible mage but another would be welcome...

And that sounds a very interesting concept and one that would be most needed.

The Great Triangle

I'd be quite interested in playing it then.  *nods*  What level of experience do you think would be ideal?  I could see the concept being playable as an idealistic young mage not quite willing to get with the program on the orders, though it might work better for the character to be a little older/more experienced.  (though the older and more powerful the character gets, the more constrained and conservative it needs to become in return)  Here are some of the ways I think the concept could get implemented:

-An old, crone style witch who spends much of her time on the streets begging for money and telling fortunes as a way to invisibly blend into the crowd.  (quite possibly, she has used magic to make her look particularly old and unremarkable, perhaps a custom rote)

-A middle aged biker type with more than a few piercings, the kind of guy who seems to come out of the woodwork when there's a concert, and vanish into dive bars at all other times. 

-A wheelchair bound, one-legged combat veteran who always seems to sit on the sidelines looking pathetic, but acts as a sort of "good luck charm" to the vagabonds.

-A young, flamboyant blond man in a garish purple star covered robe and pointy hat who won't stop yelling loudly to anyone in ear shot about how he's a wizard and will blow you up with his fireballs.  (which, if pressed, are actually ping pong balls coated in lighter fluid and set on fire)  His act is designed to distract others from strange things happening in the area, which must just be his pranks.

-A dark skinned young woman posing as an investigative journalist in the midst of writing a story (or filming a documentary, writing a poem, researching a video game... nobody can really remember) on the vagabonds, who never seems to finish her research, or be remembered clearly. 

Ons and Offs

Keelan

I'm the other Mage potential TGT ^_^

I'm considering a Guardian of the Veil character, likely an Obrimos Prime/Space with Forces or an Acanthus Fate/Prime with Time.  The Obrimos is more of a counter-mage who can get to any reported problem quickly due to Space magic, while the Acanthus is more of a 'save the parties asses' sort via fate magic with some level of counter-mage potential.

Flavor wise, I was figuring she'd be an Irish woman (northern or southern Ireland, haven't decided yet), who is/was a college professor of (field to be determined), and I imagine her being rather sarcastic and cynical, but overall a rather disciplined and dedicated person to any and all of her duties.  Since there is a relationship potential in-game, it's worth noting she's a lesbian (last time I played a mage this was important to note against some type of promethean whose effect was determined by sexual attraction).  Other than that, it's a very rough idea, but I'm working on it a lot and should have plenty of time to finish it tomorrow.

Crovonovin

TGT, I absolutely adore your fourth option there, playing off your mage as nothing more than an infuriating and harmless trickster rather than a real threat.  I think one danger of playing any World of Darkness game is the tendency to have things spiral into morbidity without the sort of lighthearted breathing room that just about anyone needs in order to have any real fun.  If everything's depressing, scary, or tense, things tend to get muddled and run together without any interesting variation!

Not that I'm so bold as to assume my word carries any weight whatsoever with anyone, but if it's worth anything at all I would love to see how you bring that character to life.

The Great Triangle

To be honest, that idea is basically directly inspired by how the historical figure Aleister Crowley acted.  XD  The big obvious wizard hat and cloak is inspired by what Crowley discovered worked as a perfect "invisibility cloak" in the streets of London.   The robe would probably end up being some kind of magical artifact, or possibly the lynchpin in an oath with a changeling.

Ons and Offs

Crovonovin

So it's sort of an elaborate "Somebody Else's Problem Field" that forces the average citizen to completely overlook what's surely too bizarre to possibly be true?  Brilliant!

Hellion000

*eyes people that are talking about contracts with Changelings*

As the only currently confirmed CtL character, I'm a bit concerned!

Blitzy

*Eyes Hellion.*

'Confirmed' is such a harsh term. I prefer to say... I am intrigued with making a CtL char.

RubySlippers

My character is just a busker juggling in the streets for money, she is not that good but is so good looking and skilled at playing the crowds that shouldn't matter.  ;D

The Great Triangle

I see pledges with changelings as a great way to pick up extra merit dots and establish story relationships, as well as giving changelings a good amount of brokering ability.  Having other PCs to make pledges with is extra helpful, since it often enables a changeling to get some benefits without having to set up annoying obligations. 

Ons and Offs

Hellion000

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 05, 2010, 07:49:34 PM
I see pledges with changelings as a great way to pick up extra merit dots and establish story relationships, as well as giving changelings a good amount of brokering ability.  Having other PCs to make pledges with is extra helpful, since it often enables a changeling to get some benefits without having to set up annoying obligations.

Send me an FPM, we'll chat in private. I'm playing a Darkling/Beast of the Spring Court.

Senti

Private is it? As the ST I do hope I will be included :P

I am getting things together now, so lets give it a few more days for characters  to be made and organised and then I will set it up.

Now do I need to do a list of Senti's rules ?

Crovonovin

I suppose it couldn't hurt to know them, if there are any particulars that deviate from the standard Elliquiy codes of conduct.

Geeklet

Hmm, I've been wanting a good nWoD game for a little while now. Could possibly do Mage or Wolf....

RubySlippers

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 05, 2010, 07:49:34 PM

What's a Pledge?

The Great Triangle

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 07, 2010, 05:59:58 AM
What's a Pledge?

If you make a promise to a changeling, it will be supernaturally enforced.  If that promise is sufficiently powerful, you also gain power to help fulfill that promise, or it might be the point in the first place.  A simple example is agreeing to leave a saucer of milk outside your house every night so a changeling will come and clean your house.  (though the changeling might gain more than the saucer of milk in the arrangement)  Pledges are a lot more potent for mortals than they are for supernatural creatures.  (being able to grant them 5 dot merits reasonably easily, among other things)   Just like vampires have ghouls, changelings have oathbound servants, who are humans who agreed to serve changelings in exchange for power. 

The main limiting factor of pledges is that a changeling can only maintain so many before it has to start using things like its true name, its passions, and its supernatural substance to start sanctifying them.  Therefore, for practical purposes, most changelings who aren't of elder power can only have two or three oathbound humans at most.  (oathbound are also sometimes called  the ensorcelled, since the minimum level of transformation is to give a human the ability to see the things of faerie, a process known as ensorcellment) 

Ons and Offs

Senti

Thanks Mister Triangle for answering the question.

Geeklet you are more than welcome. Either a mage or a wolf is fine, though a wolf might work better.

RubySlippers

By the way she is all for connections to the Supernaturals in some way being an innocent little mortal.  O:)

fallensaviour

ooh...i've always wanted to try a siten uzu from skinchangers

Senti

Yes you may have your beasty fallen saviour.

Hopefully tomorrow  UK time I will be setting up the game or at least the OOC part.  So if folks can organise characters and the like I will appreciate it. As for rules they will be posted there. Don’t worry I am not a hard Taskmaster.

fallensaviour

cool do i need to make/rp the kitsune or is that going to be purely npc?

Senti

Muse

So, I defiantly want to adapt one of my free runner concepts.  Would a changeling or a mage fit better at this point? 

Senti

Hellion000

As I understand it we have:

1 Mortal
1 Vampire
1 Werewolf
1 Changeling (confirmed and 1 potential)
and
3 or 4 Mages.

So... yeah. Another Changeling would be a better choice than a Mage, and a Giest or Promethian would be even better. Though, to be honest, wrangling a Promethian into the group with the curse in effect would be difficult at best.

Senti

Senti

Right folks can I please have a headcount.  Goodness I sound like school teacher.

Anyway I would like a quick head count, then I will set up an OOC  and an IC.

Characters can come here or by PM if folks want to be more secretive.

I am looking forward to this.

Crovonovin

I'm right here!  I'll have the Cohort statted up and fleshed out before we start in on this.

Muse

Still intrested! 

I couldn't find my hardcoppies last night, so I'll use digital  That means a mage since I know them a tad bit better. 

Elf

I'm definitely still interested. If you want a bio with stats from the game system I will need a little help setting those up.

Senti

I can help with the number crunching... all I need is a Bio

rememder its the 80's/90's.

Blitzy

Still here, Senti!

This is just going to be a crazy week for me. I have a little over a week before I am leaving from Minnesota to Florida. So I won't be able to have a char involved and invested yet. But I will bring one in once I get settled and things calm down at home in FL!

Muse

Gah.  I was trying to find Shana to adapt into a mage, but I can't find our sheets, only our RP thread. 

Senti

there is no rush, the first scene is relaxed and anyone Vagabnd or not is free to join in.

Blitzy I hope your move goes well and just join in when it suits RL.

Muse dont stress too much about points...background is more important...

Muse

Senti

Dont stress then....but do remember its set in the late 80's early 90's.

Elf

Quote from: Senti on December 09, 2010, 10:47:42 AM
I can help with the number crunching... all I need is a Bio

rememder its the 80's/90's.

I believe that the only thing missing from that which I PMed you is a character name, and the game stats.

Senti

I have you Elf....and will PM some bits and bobs for you :)

Elf

Thank you. I am still trying to come up with a name, but will have it by the time it is needed.

The Great Triangle

I'll be playing the figure known as Bloody Chav, Dexter Wright to his friends.   He's a nomadic jack of all trades who was once a licensed pyrotechnician, but lost his license in a near death experience.  Since then, he's been haunted by spooky things, and tends to run around with a robe and wizard hat being obnoxious a lot.  Naturally, nobody ever pays him any attention when he does this.  He's pretty good at making or buying fireworks, and seems to be the go-to guy if you ever need something set on fire. 

What he looks like:

Ons and Offs

Geeklet

I'm still interested in a wolf, though, as Blitzy can attest to, when it comes to making a sheet for a WoD char... I can take a while. *L*

Blitzy

Not just making the sheet.... Finding the right picture, getting the history right, getting the personality right.... *Grins.* Geeklet takes a while. But it's why I love hir! :P

The Great Triangle

I actually based a lot of my character on a particular actor, which made finding the right picture really really easy.  :-)

Ons and Offs

Geeklet

*snickers at Blitzy* Hey.. thats what you get when you mix a perfectionist with a procrastinator. May take a while to do, but dammit, I make sure its done right!

Hellion000

My basic sheet is done, and the rough sketch of the background is firmly in mind. I just need to sit down and hammer out a few details.

Senti

Just a little extra ask... if anyone wants to think about a 'theme song'  or the like for their chracter I love that.

Muse

Once upon a time,
There was a beautiful tropical island,
With blue lagoons and clean white beaches,
Blacktop roads winding through green jungles,
And little frogs singing in the trees. 

A girl grew up there in idyllic bliss. 
She didn’t know it was idyllic bliss,
because she’d never known true suffering. 
She didn’t have much money. 
But she had food to eat,
School to attend by day,
Beaches to dance on at night,
And a boy with a motorcycle to love with all her heart,
Who grew up into godlike Adonis of a man,
And gave her a ring,
And a baby,
And a home. 

She didn’t know she lived in idyllic bliss. 
Or that her heart was so pure,
And her beauty so great,
That she would attract the jealousy of a queen from the other side of the sunset. 

So jealous grew Titania herself
That she stole  the girl away,
And carved her face upon a soulless fetch to leave behind,
To love her husband and raise her child. 

“You will be my new handmaiden,” Titania said,
“Untill I tire of you, then I will add  you to my collection,
“And you will be but another treasure. 
“A pretty bird in a gilded cage.” 

In humiliated servitude Titania’s slave did all she could to please her mistress,
Yearning for her smile and caress with every fiber of her being,
Waking every night screaming in dread of her displeasure,
Driven by desperation to retrain the tenuous personhood of a slave,
Crying as she danced for the girl’s who’d already been diminished to dolls. 

The beauty of her dance was irresistible. 

At last one day Titania gathered her slave in her arms,
Stroking her hair with proprietary passion,
Cooing with possessive love, she whispered,
“My girl, my girl, my pretty slave,
“I have a new handmaiden now to take your place,
“but not for you the life of a dancing doll.” 

With a last transcendent kiss,
Of ecstasy that seared her soul to ash and made her anew,
The girl was reshaped into a dragon,
With scales of red and gold,
Bones of adamant,
Blood of fire. 
“This is my final command to you, monster who was a girl,
“Guard my treasure ‘til the end of time and dance no more.” 

Bitter and broken,
Driven by hate for her beloved mistress,
Consumed with covetousness for the new girl’s prized place in her arms,
The monster stalked a daily patrol amongst the tens of thousands of dancing dolls,
Forgetting that she was to have been one,
Heart beating in vain hope for the day when her mistress would be pleased enough to take her in her arms once more. 

Then, one day,
for no particular reason at all,
The monster looked up,
And saw that the hall was vast and wide
With a vault so high it stretched towards the heavens. 

Days later,
She decided to do something about it.
She spread her wings. 
And beat at the air,
Breaking the chains of the ground,
Soaring into the sky. 
For just a few precious moments. 
Then she dropped to the ground again. 
And for days after she wept bitter tears,

The girl remembered freedom. 

An eternity later,
She flew again. 
And wept again. 
Then flew again. 

The pain grew heady. 
The pain gave her life meaning. 
In pain and exlation,
The girl danced through the domed skies. 
And the world itself watched. 

Daily, now, she danced her yearning prayer for freedom,
Til at last the world understood her desire,
Daily, now, she danced her yearning prayer for freedom,
‘Til at last th world fulfilled her prayer. 
The wall pealed back too bare a thorny hedge,

Confused and terrified, the girl did not hesitate,
But crashed her draconic body into the hedge,
Thorns ripped at her hide,
Rended her wings
Shredded her scales,   
She did not look back. 
Fleeing between the hedgerows now,
She sought her home, 
The thorns rent and tore,
Ripping away her burning blood,
Ripping away her adamant bones,
But when she reached the human world,
She was still fairer than ever before,
Stronger than ever before. 
She could still here the fire singing,
And make the world yearn and weep when she danced. 

Senti

Thank you Muse...

Right ok I can set up OOC and IC, as the start does certainly not require character sheets, and folks can turn up when they are ready.

All alright with that?

Muse

ReijiTabibito

I'm an OWoD fan, but NWoD appeals to be in certain lines.

I have the books for Hunter and for Geist.  (Well, the corebook for Geist, anyway)

I did have this one idea for a possible Hunter character who isn't trying to actively kill the other supernaturals.

It's a Null Mysterii character (think mad science in the form of Ghostbusters-ish style) who is conducting a study on the various other characters.  His job is to investigate, gather info, and stay low on the radar, since Hunters and the other supers don't exactly get along well.  It's like TGT's concept - the journalist - in that fashion.

Senti

Will he be a part of the Vagabonds group?

Just organising how people will fit in.

ReijiTabibito

In theory?  Probably.  The way I had it in my head was that the character was sent by the NMs to be undercover with the Vagabonds.  Is that fine?

Also, are we doing just base creation, or do we get something a little extra...?

Senti

I can be tempted with offering a few more points with a good and interesting background. In general though they are pretty much start out.

As for being undercover, thats fine, but one might have to be very careful.

Who knows what might happen during the game.

ReijiTabibito

Mkay.  I'm also a fan of the Loyalists of Thule, with a similar character concept (hunter sent undercover to learn more about the opposition), but I figured that the FOR SCIENCE! thing of the Nulls would resonate a little better.

Also, I am looking into building a Geist, so...yeah.

Senti

ReijiTabibito

One other thing.  NWoD characters don't get the 'bonus points' that OWoD characters do.  Are we arranging that in some way, or no?

Senti

ReijiTabibito

No, I mean...usually, after OWoD characters bought Attributes, Abilities, Backgrounds, and whatnot with their allotted creation points, they'd get 15 bonus points to spend on any of those, right?  So, for NWoD, all we get are points for Attributes, Abilities, and Merits (the new Backgrounds).  So, do we get those bonus points, or no...?

Senti

I am afraid not. 

Any chosen flaws go towards XP's if they are played,

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  Where does it talk about flaws?  Or their point values, more specifically.  It seemed kinda odd to me to have Merits but no way to gain more points by taking on complications...

Senti

Flaws it appears...or at least in Senti World are a grey area, as it will depend on the setting. For example here, with the Vagabonds a phobia of dogs would get lots of XP's if the character played it out in play.

From what I have seen the NWoD system is that they were merely trying to stop CHEESE.... be honest some flaws are just points gainers. At least in my opinion. And said flaws are often very eaily forgotten by the players.

Anyway give me a good background and there may be extra points.....

As it is flaws are the players choice and we can work out XP's as the game goes on.

The Great Triangle

If you're playing as a supernatural creature, you can also get an extra 10xp to garnish your character with by taking a hit to your initial humanity score.  (or whatever the equivelent for the type you're playing is)  Since you're already likely to fall to that level if you play like a typical PC, there's not much of a downside in taking that route.  (unless your character is one of the especially pure types.  It's a bit of a system flaw in the nWOD that morality is ridiculously expensive to buy up the further up you go, and there's no way to start at a high level.)

The basic character creation system in nWOD is for making characters fresh from their supernaturla transformation and initial training, so if your character is past that point, and you've got the skeletons in your closet to prove it, you should be able to harvest some xps from Senti to cover things.  (my character, for instance, is 8xp over standard character creation)

Ons and Offs

ReijiTabibito

Well, TGT, here's the thing.  The type of supernatural that I'd be playing is a Sin-Eater (from the Geist line), and as far as Sin-Eater's Humanity - referred to in series and hereafter as Synergy - goes, it's very difficult for Sin-Eaters to suffer from degeneration.  Sin-Eaters have a very different sense of Morality than most other supernaturals.  Humans, Hunters, and Vampires are directly subject to Humanity.  Mages are close, with Wisdom.  And Werewolf's Harmony is a bit more lax, but still has shades of Humanity.  Changelings I can't speak for, but Sin-Eaters?  Get a lot of leeway.  They can steal and lie with impunity - and they're mostly immune when it comes to murder, as long as it wasn't unintentional, or they don't becomes a serial killer.

So, given the sins on the Synergy meter, it's very difficult for Sin-Eater PCs to worry about degeneration.

The Great Triangle

The Geist morality meter is definately pretty well PC proofed, though there are a few points on which you could still degenerate pretty easily.  Destroying a ghost is something a geist is frequently tempted to do, and raising the dead is something that can justify a degeneration while being a really cool background element.  Sure, you do have to bend your PCs backstory a bit to justify having done sins against synergy, but flaws basically put you in the same boat. 

One main consideration with Geists is that they're built on a different power scale from other supernaturals because they don't have any extremely broad powers.  They're just plain nasty within their niche, and incapable of mustering powers outside of it.  On the other hand, we've got a lot of mages, (or so I hear) who take the opposite extreme in character design.  For balance reasons, I'd caution you against using xp to pick up additional keys, because that can give geists an unfair jump in power level.

When you're designing the background of a Geist, remember to think of your Geist and what it's trying to do, what its goals are.  Geists are led around by powers beyond themselves quite deeply, or at least on a far more personal level than other supernaturals. 

(The way I think of nWOD supernaturals in general, by the way, is that Mages have the most flexible powers, but with a signifigant risk of failure and limitations in pure power, Changelings are halfway between mages and vampires in terms of power level, and can generate a lot of power really fast at the risk of being caught by the fae.  Vampires have the most robust power set and find it very easy to fuel, but they pay through the nose in flexibility.  Promethians and Geists are roughly equal in power, slightly below vampires, though Promethians have the edge of being able to apply permanent boosts to their abilities, while Geists can rapidly arm a vast arsenal of powers, as well as having a major edge within their theme.  Werewolves are pretty much the gimpy ones, without house rules to improve them, though the pack instinct makes them reasonably scary foes if you don't have a good supply of silver.  Anything about werewolves goes double for hunters, though letting werewolves use the rules of hunter is pretty awesome.)

Ons and Offs

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 13, 2010, 01:27:15 PM
The Geist morality meter is definately pretty well PC proofed, though there are a few points on which you could still degenerate pretty easily.  Destroying a ghost is something a geist is frequently tempted to do, and raising the dead is something that can justify a degeneration while being a really cool background element.  Sure, you do have to bend your PCs backstory a bit to justify having done sins against synergy, but flaws basically put you in the same boat. 

Oh yes, with a couple of exceptions, unless you are pure out-and-out evil, and trying to drive down your Synergy all the way, then you rarely need to worry about committing sins against it.  The only sins that I could see reasonably happening are three: reviving a dead person, destroying a ghost, and destroying a Sin-Eater (or, destroying a Geist).

The first one I would only see happening in a 'Pushing Daisies' sort of manner - bringing back a dead person (temporary or no) to try and help solve a mystery.  The latter two I would only see happening in the case of the entity being patently evil.  I plan on working such a scenario into my Sin-Eater's backstory, though whether or not he loses Synergy because of it (if I were GMing the situation, I'd provide the player bonus dice to resist degen, both because of the situation, and possibly depending upon the player's Virtue) is up in the air.

Besides, I think that if I can come up with a suitable enough backstory, then I won't need the 10 xp from the point of Synergy. I'm hoping for 10-15 XP, at the most, I think.

One main consideration with Geists is that they're built on a different power scale from other supernaturals because they don't have any extremely broad powers.  They're just plain nasty within their niche, and incapable of mustering powers outside of it.  On the other hand, we've got a lot of mages, (or so I hear) who take the opposite extreme in character design.  For balance reasons, I'd caution you against using xp to pick up additional keys, because that can give geists an unfair jump in power level.

Well, you are correct that in most places, the powers of Geists are mostly suited for their own niche.  There are a handful of exceptions (the Rage and Shroud Manifestations, as well as certain categories of the others), but yeah, mostly Geists are Ghostbusters.

And for the most part, any XP I get from Senti will be used in one of three categories: Merits, Manifestations, or maybe Psyche, depending on whether or not I spend 3 Merit points at creation to boost it from 1 to 2.  Probably will, though.

When you're designing the background of a Geist, remember to think of your Geist and what it's trying to do, what its goals are.  Geists are led around by powers beyond themselves quite deeply, or at least on a far more personal level than other supernaturals. 

Mmm.  *thinks*  I'm coming up with a character concept now for a Forgotten Sin-Eater...perhaps I can rack your brain for some inspiration?

(The way I think of nWOD supernaturals in general, by the way, is that Mages have the most flexible powers, but with a signifigant risk of failure and limitations in pure power, Changelings are halfway between mages and vampires in terms of power level, and can generate a lot of power really fast at the risk of being caught by the fae.  Vampires have the most robust power set and find it very easy to fuel, but they pay through the nose in flexibility.  Promethians and Geists are roughly equal in power, slightly below vampires, though Promethians have the edge of being able to apply permanent boosts to their abilities, while Geists can rapidly arm a vast arsenal of powers, as well as having a major edge within their theme.  Werewolves are pretty much the gimpy ones, without house rules to improve them, though the pack instinct makes them reasonably scary foes if you don't have a good supply of silver.  Anything about werewolves goes double for hunters, though letting werewolves use the rules of hunter is pretty awesome.)

I couldn't really speak too much about this, given that I only have Geist and Hunter.  But, the fact that Geists have a large assortment of powers does resonate with me.

Senti

Well a Giest is more than fine with me.

so send away....

As I said XP extras depend on background.

Also will be posting the first IC post tommorow but stats are not needed for the first scene ...or at least for some of it. :)

Senti

IC started, anyone that still wants to join is welcome, after all the vagabonds come and go.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=92150.0

Prakkie

We're still looking for dedicated players. Anyone interested in some story-driven, free-form NWoD set in the 1980's? Werewolves, Mages, Geists, Vamps and others very much welcome.

Currently active characters:

- Whitney Cooper, Geist [played by Cadavar]
- Betty Hamelin, Werecat [played by Prakkie]
- Felicity Moreno, Changeling [played by Muse]
- Sam Phoenix Benit, Werewolf [played by Grovercjuk]

OOC here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=91818.0
Story thread here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=92150.0