What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRose

Some guy decided that The Purge was a good inspiration and that he should organize one in his city. Various other kids/teens reposted for their own area. For some reason many of them call for a special effort targeting the police.
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/faits-divers-justice/un-iserois-en-garde-a-vue-apres-avoir-appele-a-une-purge-des-policiers-le-ministre-de-l-interieur-1540832209
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Beguile's Mistress

Donald and Melania have plans to visit Pittsburgh tomorrow.  This is really a bad idea because there will be funerals starting tomorrow for the murdered members of the Tree of Life congregation.  Can this man not understand that he is not wanted by the families because of his attitude to white nationalists?  Even if you are the president you have no right to intrude on this time of grieving for these loved ones! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/president-trump-first-lady-to-visit-pennsylvania-on-tuesday-to-commemorate-synagogue-mass-shooting-victims/2018/10/29/d7bb657e-db9a-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html?utm_term=.770267f3ff08

Mr. President, stay home!  We don't want you!

Sara Nilsson

https://medium.com/@Phaylen/all-references-to-transgender-americans-scrubbed-from-government-websites-45a455259e4c

QuoteThe official websites of the United States Health Department and the Office of Civil Rights have removed all language applying to Transgender identities as the effort to delegitimize between 1.4 million and 1.6 million Transgender Americans across the nation continues.

Regina Minx

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on October 29, 2018, 02:00:35 PM
Donald and Melania have plans to visit Pittsburgh tomorrow.  This is really a bad idea because there will be funerals starting tomorrow for the murdered members of the Tree of Life congregation.  Can this man not understand that he is not wanted by the families because of his attitude to white nationalists?  Even if you are the president you have no right to intrude on this time of grieving for these loved ones! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/president-trump-first-lady-to-visit-pennsylvania-on-tuesday-to-commemorate-synagogue-mass-shooting-victims/2018/10/29/d7bb657e-db9a-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html?utm_term=.770267f3ff08

Mr. President, stay home!  We don't want you!

The cruelty is the point.

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Regina Minx on October 29, 2018, 04:53:00 PM
The cruelty is the point.

Actually, for this one, I don't think he wants to deliberately twist the knife in the fresh wounds. He's just ignorant. He really wants to think he is wildly appreciated. I mean, didn't he get the biggest inauguration crowd of all presidents? In his own mind, he did.  :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Two priests protest against Jeff Sessions during his Religious Liberty Taskforce meeting, by quoting from the bible at him, and are forcibly removed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/national/i-call-upon-you-to-repent-sessions-heckled-by-priest/2018/10/29/dfeeb54c-db9b-11e8-8bac-bfe01fcdc3a6_video.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.329f8c555cff

He shows his true colors as the false prophet he is. I hope more stand up.

*Checks video on youtube, only to find people calling the priests pedophiles and fake Christians*…….you know suddenly I'm finding it hard not to think we deserve a rapture and the whole end of days.

Flower

The Lovely Tsaritsa

I almost regret, getting US citizenship when I lived there. I was very proud of American ideals, then. Mr Trump and other politicians, the government, they believe any those ideals those. They are corrupt and greedy, they don’t care about citizens they pretend for serving. It’s very sad.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: The Lovely Tsarina on October 30, 2018, 08:27:07 AM
I almost regret, getting US citizenship when I lived there. I was very proud of American ideals, then. Mr Trump and other politicians, the government, they believe any those ideals those. They are corrupt and greedy, they don’t care about citizens they pretend for serving. It’s very sad.

I am regretting spending the thousands of dollars to get mine. I am now pondering selling the store I worked so hard on and trying to persuade the fam to move to Sweden. I honestly don't feel safe in this country anymore with all the anti immigration, anti lgbt that flies in the air these days. Some people try to tell me I was lucky to get out of Sweden, with all the immigrants.. *snort* I lived in Malmo, in the area with almost all immigrants and they always treated me better than most swedes did.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on October 30, 2018, 11:22:34 AM
I honestly don't feel safe in this country anymore with all the anti immigration, anti lgbt that flies in the air these days.

You can't get much whiter than Swedish, so you ought to be cool from that angle. For whatever that's worth.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 30, 2018, 11:30:10 AM
You can't get much whiter than Swedish, so you ought to be cool from that angle. For whatever that's worth.

This morning, I read a ridiculous Letter to the Editor in a leading Stockholm daily: the guy writing it attacked an education company over here whose schools are mostly working in English, aiming to offer their pupils an immersive understanding and confidence in a world language (of course, they also have subjects such as Swedish, German and French). Now, what made the guy so angry?  Well, he claimed 1) that these school,s were given a free ride from the laws and rules all other schools over here have to follow, and 2) that teachers who are working with English as the primary language in class are *drumroll* "traitors to the nation". Yes, he used just that word, it was even in the headline of the text.  ???

Many of the teachers of the schools he was venting at are native Swedes - if they had all been from English-speaking countries the stab about treason would have seemed completely crazy. I don't know what he'd think of university - a big part of the reading lists at many uni courses is in English rather than Swedish, although the lectures and training are normally done in Swedish.

Just one example of how heated the issues of cultural confidence, cultural unity and migration have become even here.

gaggedLouise

Edit to the above: actually that guy wrote that these teachers are engaging in "language national treason" (or "treason against their country and language" with language emphasised) which is a concept I've never heard of before in the modern world.  :-X

I'm bilingual myself, if not trilingual, and the idea that this would be an affront to anyone's culture is just ridiculous to me.

Hades

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-kepler-space-telescope-dies-194100838.html?.tsrc=fauxdal&fbclid=IwAR28vcEyrXs7m0wVp4OSnLHwwh-U_7NGzCXGUTeCx3XXMi1kVfnLQEsQIbQ

After spending nearly 10 years on the job, NASA called an end to the Kepler Space Telescope mission.  The article mentions 2600 exoplanets discovered by the telescope, but a quick check at the NASA Exoplanet Archive puts the total number of potential exoplants at 3800.  Either way, it's a big loss to the search for habitable planets beyond Earth, as the replacement James Webb telescope has been hit with major delays and won't be launching anytime soon, and there's no other telescopes in service now that can dedicate enough hours to a single section of the sky like Kepler did.

legomaster00156

Rest in peace, Kepler space telescope.  :-(

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

Lustful Bride

Sara Nilsson

what can possibly go wrong by shooting people with paintballs like that, not like you can get someone with a concealed gun who thinks he might actually be shot at and return fire.. no that can't happen.

Tolvo

That's actually been happening for a while around here. Drive by airsoft and stuff as well. It is dangerous in a lot of ways, especially in the gang heavy areas.

Beguile's Mistress

You shoot someone with a paintball and they shoot you and everyone with you with real bullets.

gaggedLouise

Speaking of shooting, in a bizarre news item around here, a billionaire CEO has been arrested, charged and could go to jail for hunting down and killing several wild wolves, lynxes and golden eagles and...cremating their bodies in the fireplace of an old sawmill of his, to get rid of the corpus delicti., especially the wolves. These animals are all off limits for hunting or trapping in Sweden.

One of the best-known experts on crime and detection in the country, a well-known and much loved tv personality and researcher, told the press: "Yeah, that guy is one of my hunting buddies. I had no idea he was doing this stuff though..." ^_^

gaggedLouise

Oh by the way, Mr. Wolfburner seems to be the suspected leader of a poaching gang. A couple of other men have been taken into custody.

RedRose

Paintball/airsoft is a thing here as guns are illegal and only "real" gangsters or terrorists get a hold of them… That's why they're getting harder to buy too. People will find something else...

I was overconfident that there would be no purge despite the crap I posted above. How many times can I be disappointed?  ::) https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpm_Ws3g0AK/?taken-by=kartier2france_ll&fbclid=IwAR2EFXXDMS9_p-NU8L4DLBxnEDFfnIc-4ghIyspRPLdvts2kGqGbv_xS_x0 (injuries only but…)

Beorning

Quote from: RedRose on November 01, 2018, 08:37:11 AM
I was overconfident that there would be no purge despite the crap I posted above. How many times can I be disappointed?  ::) https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpm_Ws3g0AK/?taken-by=kartier2france_ll&fbclid=IwAR2EFXXDMS9_p-NU8L4DLBxnEDFfnIc-4ghIyspRPLdvts2kGqGbv_xS_x0 (injuries only but…)

Wait, please explain this to me. What happened???

Lustful Bride

France Purge Riots lead to over 100 arrested.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-violence/french-police-arrest-over-100-after-halloween-purge-night-riots-idUSKCN1N64VD

I'm fully behind the police on this one. You must maintain order, control. Society is maintained by a social contract between people and a government, but that contract can mean nothing if its rules are not enforced and the protection that the government guarantees is not applied. These kids and aggressors decided it would be fun to break the rules, set fires, rob stores and attack others, so they deserve everything they get as punishment for it.