Book Burning

Started by ShrowdedPoet, June 12, 2008, 11:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Quote from: Jineriq on June 21, 2008, 01:22:33 AM
Just as they, not I, can't have their cake and everyone's slice, neither can we take their slice. I'm not advocating that their stance is right, but I am arguing that you can't possibly take away their freedom of speech no matter how horribly their using it. Either all speech is free or none is free. It's really that simple.

The 'conservatives' will never be able to deny anybody of their freedom of speech. I personally don't believe all conservatives want to deny my freedoms, just I believe not all liberals want to raise my taxes and enact a type of Nanny Government. Don't get me wrong, they'll try and almost make themselves look stupid for doing it, but it won't happen. There are more than a few men and women in service that have sworn to uphold the constitution, "from enemies foreign and domestic."

We're already having to deal with them on gay marriage, so I think your fight may already be here. I see the evidence of this fight all the time in California, and while they can say it's wrong all they want, they shouldn't be infringing on such basic rights, rights to which we're all entitled. I defend their rights to be bigots, racists, and generally close minded assholes, regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

Thank You!

I appreciate that you called attention to the fact that not ALL conservatives come from a cookie cutter model. Not ALL liberals do either. I also agree with your thoughts almost fully.

Celestial Goblin

That's why I believe in actively opposing those people's opinions.
Taking away someone's right to free speech, even if they're evil, comes back to bite you in the ass sooner or later.
On other hand, one can defend a person's right to have an opinion and still do all in their power to convince everyone that the opinion is wrong. Of course that takes effort, but that's that 'vigilance' that is supposed to be the price of freedom according to some often quoted person.