Eclipse Phase: Through the Looking Glass [System] [Interest Check]

Started by Blythe, April 08, 2016, 11:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Just mentioning--as a GM, I'm not too terribly concerned about character gender ratio. Sexual content isn't a priority for me for this game; sexual content will have its own thread separate from main plot threads. Sexual content would most likely occur during downtime in Chat Noir.

If it's important to y'all as players, I can keep character gender in mind when selecting the six characters for the group, but otherwise, character gender won't really be something I consider when I'm looking at which characters to include.

Angie

I don't personally care about gender ratio, ESPECIALLY not in this setting. Balanced party should mean we have the Holy Trinity of Tank, DPS, and Healing, not equal amounts of sausage and clam!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

ChaoticSky

This is true, I mean, even mental gender doesnt exactly matter alot given that half the time well probably either be neuter (synths unless you work really hard at it), or in bodies with probably-random genders(if we egocast, or die, or if anyone has a sexswitch, etc)

ReijiTabibito

Blythe has made it pretty clear that most of what will be happening in-story will be based around the Fissure Gate on Oberon on Uranus, with gatecrashing and Chat Noir antics spliced in together.  Death is possible, but I doubt egocasting will happen.

Blythe

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 11, 2016, 10:56:25 PM
Death is possible, but I doubt egocasting will happen.

This.

Each character will be assumed to have backup insurance (no need to purchase it--it's automatically a given). Should something unfortunate happen when on a Gatecrashing op, a backup will be activated after a set amount of time passes--from the cortical stack when possible/if retrievable, but otherwise from the most recent backup available. It is generally assumed Sentinels will have an up-to-date backup just before the mission begins. (That'll be the NPC Arvind's doing)

For everyone: let me know what sex you prefer your morphs to generally be, and should your character have to be restored from a backup, I'll place them in a morph with that sex.

Angie

To take the most advantage of being Right At Home in a Synth body, Lyscaris will do with feminine appearing Synth morphs.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Blythe on April 11, 2016, 11:03:32 PMFor everyone: let me know what sex you prefer your morphs to generally be, and should your character have to be restored from a backup, I'll place them in a morph with that sex.

Světlana's focus when selecting a new morph usually goes down a checklist something like "high maneuverability, low profile, excellent sensors." This makes Blackbirds or modified Blackbirds a highly desireable go-to when she can manage it.

She's never managed to get along well enough with her own species (frankly, other avian-uplifts are more likely to notice her flaws and be wierded out by them than human-type posthumans are) for sex to be a significant element of her life. (Which I suppose might make her a challenge, if anyone so desires.)

And that makes it occur to me that her background-as-posited could be interpreted as making her appear very much as an independent, introverted and possibly standoffish type...And those often aren't fun to roleplay with. This isn't really the case. What Světlana is, is someone who has problems with communication. Having difficulty with is not the same as having lack of desire. I tend to create characters with some elements of social/emotional growth arc idea in mind. In Světlana's case, this will hopefully pan out as becoming better at communicating her thoughts and feelings with the other team elements, as well as becoming better able to understand theirs.

Probably one of the few places where her 'socialness' and 'not being an independent murderhobo' is apparent (since her point-of-view is necessarily about her own, personal experience) is where she breaks orders after accomplishing her part of the mission and goes off-course to check on (and eventually to help out) her siblings.

She is a team player. She's just a team player who is frequently frustrated at trying to understand and communicate with the team when it comes to subtleties.

Obviously this is easier when communication is about something she's extremely experienced with. She can communicate threat warnings and situational information and accept orders quite handily...If she couldn't do those things, she'd never have survived this long (for definitions of "survival" which include multiple reincarnations!), much less been able to participate in inherently mutual survival situations like gatecrashing and search-and-rescue. Where she falls down is trying to deal with subtle and social things.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

wander

I have a higher preference for male morphs for my guy to be sleeved into, though Fox is generally easy when it comes to it.

Basically, I don't really mind what he's sleeved into if their current Splicer body gets jacked. ^^

Blythe

Hey, all! If submitting a stat sheet, please tell me how you allotted your points during chargen (what you spent & where). This helps me review sheets; since I've never GMed this before, this will strongly let me speed up reviewing.

ReijiTabibito

Blythe?  Is there a way we can send you a document?  I have an Excel sheet that does all of the calculations for you, but I would need to get it to you somehow.

Also, what's everyone thinking in terms of Background & Faction?

Blythe

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 12, 2016, 12:32:01 PM
Blythe?  Is there a way we can send you a document?  I have an Excel sheet that does all of the calculations for you, but I would need to get it to you somehow.

Also, what's everyone thinking in terms of Background & Faction?

Will PM you with an e-mail you can send it to. :)

Angie

Hypercorp Infolife. I have the story of why this is ready to go, but I wanna make sure my crunch (numbers) are good before I deal with the Fluff (story).

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Angiejuusan on April 12, 2016, 12:50:09 PM
Hypercorp Infolife. I have the story of why this is ready to go, but I wanna make sure my crunch (numbers) are good before I deal with the Fluff (story).

There's sooooo much crunch in setting up an EP character, unless you're comfortable with it, it might be good to be sure the concept will fly with the GM first, IMHO. :) Although it sounds fine to me so far, and character faction doesn't necessarily represent where your character's head is at (the core rules spell this out explicitly on p.132, "You may be a dissident member
of your faction, living among them but opposing some (or all) of their core memes and perhaps agitating for change.").

Světlana is, pretty predictably, coming from an Uplift/Mercurial headspace, although her current mindset is probably edging closer to Extropian/@narchist. She isn't super-fussed about property beyond her own body/equipment, in emergencies isn't about to stand on propriety of property but rather "who can make best use of this to save everyone's collective butts," but also definitely has become aware of the advantages in much of the system which accrue to having cash on hand.

If her Muse didn't handle her finances, she'd probably work cheap just to have the work. Certainly she doesn't try charging @narchist collectives when it's made clear that she's expected to pitch in and help. She is what she is, she enjoys best doing what she does...

EDIT: If anyone needs help with crunch, feel free to drop me a note. I'm happy to help hash out numbers/ideas/ability dynamics.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Blythe

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 12, 2016, 01:19:44 PM
There's sooooo much crunch in setting up an EP character, unless you're comfortable with it, it might be good to be sure the concept will fly with the GM first, IMHO. :) Although it sounds fine to me so far, and character faction doesn't necessarily represent where your character's head is at (the core rules spell this out explicitly on p.132, "You may be a dissident member
of your faction, living among them but opposing some (or all) of their core memes and perhaps agitating for change.").

Angie's already run her concept by me and submitted a stat sheet for review.  ;)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Blythe on April 12, 2016, 01:20:54 PM
Angie's already run her concept by me and submitted a stat sheet for review.  ;)

Cool beans. Just trying to offer help/counsel. :)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Angie

I pretty comfy with Crunch, honestly, it's just that I'm currently sitting at what I THINK is 965 CP spent, and I wanna make sure I'm accurate before loading on 35 CP extra of stuff.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Blythe on April 12, 2016, 12:29:37 PM
Hey, all! If submitting a stat sheet, please tell me how you allotted your points during chargen (what you spent & where).

OK, I will send you a chart of points spent.

Do you have a copy of Singularity, the official chargen program for EP? If not, I just accidentally bought a new copy thinking there was a version update. >.< So I can legally send it to you…or any other one person. (If Blythe doesn't want it, FCFS, I suppose.)

ReijiTabibito

Is Singularity out now?  I might have to see if I've got money for it.  Riv, if Blythe doesn't want it, I'm calling dibs.

Blythe

Quote from: Riveda on April 12, 2016, 01:39:00 PM
Do you have a copy of Singularity, the official chargen program for EP? If not, I just accidentally bought a new copy thinking there was a version update. >.< So I can legally send it to you…or any other one person. (If Blythe doesn't want it, FCFS, I suppose.)

I don't have it; if you have a legal copy to share, I would be very grateful for it, as I don't currently have money to purchase it.

Rook Seidhr

OK, Blythe, I'll PM you a URL for download.

EDIT: What OS do you run? We gots the Windows, we gots the Mac OS X, we gots the Linux Ubuntu.

Blythe

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Oh! They got it working and out? That's awesome. I presume it's got all of the goodies from Transhuman in it as well?

Going to have to try to squeeze that into next month's budget.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Rook Seidhr

Yeah, unlike the cool spreadsheet it is up to date with all published material.

EDIT: It is not the easiest program to use, and there is no help file…but it works and it doesn't crash and it has all the data.

EDIT EDIT: US$30 from posthumanstudios.com .

Blythe

Singluarity is love. Singularity is life.

This is going to make checking sheets a lot easier.

ChaoticSky

Uuugh. I used a online generator (the Next Loop/EPCC one) that doesnt display a itemized list of how you spent everything as far as i can tell... i could rebuild it, but id need a copy of singularity first :<