Breaking Bad: Lingering Questions (Spoilers)

Started by Slave2Fantasy, June 04, 2014, 01:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slave2Fantasy

There are a few things I would like to know. Given the storytelling propensity for leaving open ended questions, I understand the practice of not answering them. However, we can discuss them, just for fun.

I would really love to have an epilogue for this whole series. What happens to Skyler? What happens to Saul Goodman? Etcetera.

But my most pressing question is what happens to Jesse Pinkman? I want him to have a happy life so badly, because he seemed like a relatively nice person. (And he was very cute. >_> )

In the last scene, we see him laughing hysterically and driving away from the Neo-Nazi compound. Seemingly, with Walter dying in the meth lab, he is set up to get off scot free. I'm presuming the video of his confession was destroyed, because it implicated Todd. I'm not a lawyer by any means, but lets assume that Jesse got caught.

Could it not be argued that every illegal thing Jesse did after being recruited by Walter White was under duress? The only reason he worked with him in the first place was that Walter threatened to turn him in to the DEA in the opening episodes, and certainly he was chained to the neo-nazi meth lab against his will. What about the murder of gale? Could he be charged for that? In addition, Walter White was public enemy number one. I would think it would be fairly easy to paint Jesse as an unwilling participant in the court of public opinion.

Even if he got away, could he recover from all the horrible stuff Walter put him through, mentally I mean? Or perhaps he wants to go to prison, to atone for his guilt?

Let's puzzle this out!
I am not currently looking for co-writers.

RedPhoenix

These are just my guesses.

What happens to Skyler?

Well we don't know but we can guess. There was a case against her but she wasn't in jail. They probably had all the evidence they were going to get against her, but Walt left that message about how he was forcing her to do it the whole time. If I had to guess she probably got a plea bargain and is on probation or something. She doesn't have any of the money or the fronts anymore I would guess and is basically starting over with nothing. The message that all Walt did in the end HURT his family, should be pretty obvious.

Whether his kids ever get that trust fund he left with the Gray Matter folks or whether they turn it over to the cops the moment he walks out is up for speculation. I kind of want that one both ways. Walt was a monster, he was evil, but as much as I don't want anyone to gain from what he did, I don't want it to hurt his family so much either. Skyler was hardly innocent (and I really didn't like her as a character which doesn't help) but Walt Jr. and Holly didn't have jack to do with it, and Walt Jr. screaming at Walt in the phone call is what Skyler should have done the moment she found out.

Of course Walt Jr. was supposed to get dismembered at the end of Season 1 originally so.....maybe nobody was ever supposed to call Walt out on how much he hurts everyone.

What happens to Saul Goodman?

He's managing a Cinnabon in Oklahoma. :D Nah, I'm pretty sure he's fine. He's got tons of resources and no morality and unlike Walt is not too proud to actually stick to his new identity. I bet he's doing pretty decent. Also we may find out in the spin off Better Call Saul which I'm sort of looking forward to, although it may be all before he meets Walt. Still, I think Saul's the kind of guy who is quick to lower his expectations and I imagine he's pretty happy with whatever he's got going on. He probably isn't going to have anything to do with any drug dealers anytime soon though!

But my most pressing question is what happens to Jesse Pinkman? I want him to have a happy life so badly, because he seemed like a relatively nice person. (And he was very cute. >_> )

I, yeah, pretty much me too exactly. I was disappointed he didn't get an epilogue. In his last moments though, he's free. I like to imagine it stayed that way. And its not just being free of the Nazis, he's free of Walt. And in the end he didn't pull the trigger, he was the better guy (he was always the better guy, but this should prove it to him at least).

The series creator actually answered this in an interview:

“My personal feeling is that he got away,” Gilligan told the magazine. “But the most likely thing, as negative as this sounds, is that they’re going to find this kid’s fingerprints all over this lab and they’re going to find him within a day or a week or a month.

“And he’s still going to be on the hook for the murder of two federal agents,” he continued. “But yeah, even though that’s the most likely outcome, the way I see it is that he got away and got to Alaska, changed his name, and had a new life. You want that for the kid. He deserves it.”

- http://www.mtv.com/news/1718192/breaking-bad-what-happened-jesse-pinkman/ -

I would love to imagine Jesse in Alaska, spending his time by himself or working with kids, dating a nice local girl that gets him the way Jane did. Although letting Jane die was the first thing Walt did that made me really hate him.

As far as being under duress. Well, I mean, sort of but probably not really. There were some things that Walt definitely threatened him about, but a lot of it Jesse only really agreed to do because he was part of the whole scheme too. He tried to quit a lot, had really obvious problems with a lot of the stuff people did, but ultimately he never really walked away. I mean he has a shot I guess but...it's pretty iffy. I mean even Skyler isn't going to walk away scott free here, I very much doubt Jesse gets away with anything. Especially murdering Gail, Walt wasn't even there at the time, hard to say a guy forced you to do something from the other side of town.

I don't see Jesse as the type that would want to go to prison. He wants to give all his money to the people he hurt, he wants to try to fix what he did wrong. Him going to prison doesn't fix anything. He's really not a danger on his own. I can see him selling all he can of what he has left (although I'm not sure how he does with without Saul) and giving all the money to the people he hurt and their families (or trying to), but I don't see him surrendering. He's finally FREE in the last moment we see him, he isn't going to give that up, and he shouldn't!

....and thank you for giving me a chance to babble about this. =)

...and also for giving me an excuse to post this :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y_Kd9ZoA6Q
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Slave2Fantasy

I'm in agreement regarding Goodman and Skyler. (I didn't like her either. Although she had her moments, like the gambling story, and saving Ted from the IRS.)

I did not see this interview! Thanks for the link. Well, I suppose if the creator says so, he's free in Alaska, CSI be damned!

He is probably right about him probably getting caught though, and this makes me sad. However, assuming he did get caught, and he tells the truth, the evidence of him being in that meth lab would fit the 'being under duress' theme. There is the cage, the picture of his girlfriend, and the shackles/track thing. As far as the rest of it, I agree that he probably had opportunities to quit, and he didn't. So he is legally guilty.

But none of this matters because he's a bush pilot in Alaska, dating a cute little country girl and being nice to children, RIGHT?! RIGHT!

Thanks for the video too, that was a laugh. XD

RedPhoenix

I'm my headcannon Jesse is totally Deadliest Catch-ing it up while a sweet lil thing waits for him with his baby back home, a huge pile of cash buried in a safe in their frozen backyard just in case. Every once in awhile a pile of money appearing guardian angel style for a family that needs it. =)

Slave2Fantasy

RedPhoenix

That would be adorable, but I don't think he'd have the guts. He'd be too worried he'd be caught!

Slave2Fantasy

Your right. Brock is probably doing fine with his grandmother, actually. We can be sure she won't put up with any gang nonsense! ^_^