[D&D5] The Last Ray of Light (Epic fantasy, Group or solo) CLOSED

Started by FragarachZ, February 10, 2015, 10:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FragarachZ

Hello E!

I've been itching to run a 5th edition D&D (link to free basic rules below) game for a while and I've been playing around with some ideas. I'm looking for 3-4 active players for an an epic fantasy game in a homebrew campaign. That is to say: it is a story of good vs evil. Good is good and evil is evil, with very little if no grey inbetween the two, and while the overall theme of the campaign and the world will be dark and filled with peril, the story will be an epic of heroes who brave against those evils... or a tragedy where the heroes fail against the tide of darkness.
The starting point of the game is nothing less than the end of the world: the evil god triumphs and all servants of goodness are killed, except for one. Breaking away from the traditional "party of same-power level heroes", there will be one character in the story who will be lower level than the others and face more restrictions, but is granted powers and magic items the others won't be able to access. These, divine in nature can be lost however, so the player must be careful. This character - with the title of "lightbearer" will be crucial to the main plot, and their death would lead to an ending where while not everyone dies, the world can no longer be saved and is eventually consumed by darkness.
The other characters will be more experienced and higher in level: like Han Solo was to Luke Skywalker, or Merlin to Arthur. They will also enjoy more freedom and of course, have chances at heroism (or betrayal?), and it will be their duty to protect their lower level comrade. In fact, only by working together can the ultimate goal be accomplished. While the lightbearer is irreplaceable and important towards banishing the big bad, their task is too monumental to undertake alone, and they will lack many skills required to succeed, having them rely on their companions and friends for help.

I have a definite idea of what I'd like this game to be like, so certain house rules and rule variants will be used (see below). The main quest will be set, but you will be free to try and solve it as you like. It's up to you to find the path to the goal.
The game will be in the NC-Exotic forum, defeated and captured characters will be at the mercy of monsters and villains who rape, pillage and murder. If victorious however, the party will be the most celebrated heroes of the world and will likely become state founders and legendary figures at the least, while the lightbearer will be either rewarded by Lux or take her place.

I'd like one player to take on the role of the last divine magic user who:
-will be hounded by the forces of darkness, to be corrupted or killed
-will have less experience with the world and fighting than the others, but receive blessings and divine items they can use
-likes to feel important
-won't quite the game halfway through
-seeks to banish evil and strive for the spiritual healing and restoration of their world

I'm also looking for 2-3 players to take on the roles of heroes who despite having no divine inspiration or powers themselves, struggle against the forces of darkness and wish to see their world freed from evil. They:
-will be higher levels than the lightbearer, being more experienced with the world
-will share the lightbearer's ultimate goal, but look for more than just stopping evil
-will have ties and connections to places, factions and people
-will go down in history as either the greatest of heroes, most vile of traitors or nameless victims among millions fallen

If there is a lack of interest or people don't feel like playing in a party where one character (though handicapped and more restricted) has more importance than the others, I'm also willing to run this as a solo game where the player takes on the role of the lightbearer, and must travel alone or find support from npcs.

Background
For a millennium, goodness and peace ruled in the land, the civilizations of the good-natured races guided by the Tablet of Lux, the colossal standing stone engraved with the commandments of the goddess of light, located in the great city of Latun.
Every year, on the winter solstice, the goddess manifests and descends from the sky, smiling on her followers and shining her merciful light on them, bringing daylight slowly back to the world at the turning point of winter. After a thousand years however, on the very holy day of her worshippers, darkness prevailed, choking the light and bringing about an age of constant twilight. The moon blocked the radiance of the sun, and the holy goddess emerged broken and defeated, as she was claimed by Tenebrax, the god of darkness, king of rape and master of all evil. The people were thrown into despair, and the monstrous forces of the destroyer emerged from the shadows, slaughtering thousands while Lux was raped by their evil overlord. As the radiant lady was stained by the black seed of her eternal rival, her followers, the Order of Light were completely eradicated. Or so it seemed, for a flicker of light remained in the darkness, a last ray of hope: a young follower of  Lux, paralyzed with fear looked on at the triumph of evil. The moment before Tenebrax's ultimate triumph, the goddess spoke directly into the mind of her last servant.

"Shadow may prevail this day, but fear not! Dawn will come and the world will be filled with light again one day. I bestow upon you, the last pure light I can muster... seek the holy relics of light, and drive away the darkness in my name..."

With the loving warmth and heavy words of the goddess came the blessing of Lux, a light that manifested both within the hands, and soul of the lightbearer... along with the responsibility and quest the radiant lady left. If there was a future for all the good races of the world, the sacred artifacts had to be recovered, but first the lightbearer had to escape the defiled ground that darkness has claimed...

Three years later...

The lightbearer has gathered companions and has mastered the blessing of Lux, the sunmaiden silent ever since her defeat and enslavement. Tenebrax and his dark minions rule across the former kingdom, and prepare to invade the other countries as well in the name of their master, eternally hungering for more... Those other countries, each of which guards one of the sacred treasures that can, only when assembled and wielded by the goddess of light or her favored, defeat the lord of darkness.

LUX, Goddess of Light and Good

TENEBRAX, God of Darkness and all things Evil

World map
http://www.mediafire.com/view/h3odjvs773ivp04/Zodia.jpg

It's a big map, and image hosting sites are being dicks. You can download the map from here.

House Rules

-All characters must be of good alignment.
-The party will know eachother at the start of the game. Being family members or romantically involved is possible, though it is hard to be lovely-dovely when everything around you seems doomed.
-Characters can be either male or female, and everyone in the world is considered bisexual unless otherwise noted.
-Experience points will not be used. Levels will be bestowed on the party at certain points of the story, and after difficult challenges. For players who like to plan their character advancement: don't expect to reach double digit levels.
-One character will be designated as the lightbearer: this character must be a first level cleric or paladin at the start of the game. Multiclassing is allowed into any class open to the other player characters as long as the character fulfills the normal requirements for that class. The lightbearer will begin with starting gold by their class, and additional equipment they obtain at the start of the game.
-Characters other than the lightbearer start at level 3, single or multiclass from the following class list: Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard. Multiclassing works as usual, but requires someone to learn from.
-The party will own a ship and its crew as the start of the game. One character other than the lightbearer may be the owner of the ship, otherwise the captain is a friend to the party.
-No day-night cycle. The world is in a perpetual twilight until divine order is restored.
-There are only two deities: Lux and Tenebrax.
-All divine magic is "good" in this game, consequently there are no clerics or paladins of other alignments. Tenebrax has warlocks instead.
-Magic originates from "evil" in this game. Other than the racial abilities of certain races (like eladrin), arcane magic comes from imitating the powers that minions of Tenebrax possess. Wizards discovered arcane magic researching the evil creatures, and devised a method to use the same sort of power without being corrupted. Sorcerers have an inner taint that allows them to use the same magic, and warlocks tap into the power of Tenebrax directly.
-There are no fey lords in this world, though celestials (servants of Lux) and fiends (servants of Tenebrax) exist. All warlocks are either infernal or star pact and as an opposite to clerics, evil aligned. For the same reason, Oath of the Ancients is unavailable for paladins.
-Bardic/song magic along with primal/druidic magic are not aligned. The former taps into the soul of creatures, the later into the spirit of the land.
-No dragonborn/drow/half-orc/tiefling characters. They don't exist and most half-orcs are about 3 years old, horrifying the world that monstrous races can breed with humans. Variant humans are available.
-No kung-fu monks, ninjas, samurai and so on. I'm sorry, but I like my western mediaval culture-based world to be such.
-Permanent magic items are all unique, and cannot be created by mortal beings, with the exception of spell scrolls and potions that require more knowledge and resources than the PCs will have access to initially. Translation: loot is found, not made.

Character creation rules are: 30 point buy, cannot purchas higher than 15 in a score. After 1st level, hit points are average gain instead of die roll. Any background and feat is allowed, but you can't pick cleric spells for the Magic Initiate feat, unless your character is already a divine caster (cleric or paladin). Please include a character picture (preferably non-manga art or photographic) with character applications/sheets!

Thanks for reading, if you have any interest please leave a reply or PM me!

P.S.: Free to download basic rules to D&D5 can be found here, I'm also happy to help with character creation for those who are interested but don't know this system.
O&O

Miroque

Elizah, the Street Urchin

Years were harsh and when the war of gods ripped through the material plane town of XXX faced its blunt force. Elizah's parents were slaughtered on the aftermath and she was orphaned to fend for herself.
Somehow she managed to find food and shelter but more that ones, she slept on dirty backalleys and ruined buildings, feeding from rats and garbage. Needlesly to say, her childhood was bleek at best.

She cant even remember the names of her parents, as she had been too young when they had died, but last year, something miraculously happend. Elizah was scavenging for scraps, when she found an halfburned and mangled silvery symbol. As she grabed the symbol and rubbed the dirt away from it, trying to estimate its value, it started to shine and in blink of an eye, she was glowing from head to toes. Soon as the light had merged, it vanished, only to leave soft hue under few broken blanks and fallen bricks. As her curiosity won, she pulled the blanks and bricks away, revealing an burried chest, filled with items long lost by someone, someone who had perished when the war hit the town. She clothed herself and equiped those treasures and for the first time in longwhile, she felt no hunger. It was like something otherworldly had filled her, soul and body.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

FragarachZ

I forgot to note the character creation process. Done it now in the opening post. Everyone is welcome though I'd like to cap this at 4 characters for easier game management and speed. More people can come if they are interested of course, in that case I'll be handpicking the applications I like, or run a solo game or two for those I can't fit into a group. For now I'm just wondering if there's even interest in my idea :)
O&O

rikka

If your old gang  from age of war manages to get the slots I still hope you could somehow shoehorn my application in your latest venture.  :-)
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

FragarachZ

Like I said, anyone who has interest is welcome. Post your character applications if you have any, so far Miri came up with a light domain cleric but nothing is fixed yet. If someone else wants to play the divine character I won't deny them a chance, so everyone can go for either the lightbearer role or the ship captain/veteran adventurers part.
O&O

Miroque

I will post my application tomorrow, after I get off from work.. got most of it down.. (Youngish human female, Street urchin, Cleric, Lightbringer), probably rescued by mr/ms X, who might work or own a ship...

rikka

Are magic-users: sorcerers, wizards, and warlocks in this world shunned and branded as evil for using magic?

Ons/Offs

FragarachZ

Warlocks are evil and shunned. Wizards are ok and sorcers too unless they do something really freakish. Like mutating into monsters or unleashing chaos by being unable to control their power.
O&O

rikka

Thalya Balworth
Appearance:

Background: Thalya always believed that magic is never evil in itself but becomes so in the hands of those who uses it for evil and selfish purposes.  However the vast majority does not share in her ideals and brands those who uses magic as evil and as servants of the evil god, Tenebrax, and only deserve to be hunted down and put to the sword.  And thus Thalya became a hermit, secluding herself from the norms of society, and retreated to an isolated forest, so that she may continue practicing her sorcery undisturbed and unopposed.   

In time she became to be known as the “Witch within the Woods”, and that anyone who enters her accursed forest is never seen again.  Of course these are out of proportion tales and rumors were meant to frighten the ordinary, and Thalya did not even dissuaded these falsehoods of continuing on in their notoriety about her, affording her more opportunity of being left alone to her devices.  She does however help those in need especially those who get lost in her forest, guiding them out with the use of her magic; or by rescuing some hapless souls from wild animals, or monsters, or from evil men like bandits, again using her magic to assist.

Thalya eventually realized that she could do more good with her magic by helping more people in other places, and decided to end her hermithood by leaving the forest that has been her home for many years and go out into the world and use her magic for the greater good.  There is another reason why she decided to leave and that is to see what has become of her niece/nephew (the lightbearer) since she only remembered her/him as a babe when she went into seclusion.

Secrets/Truths
Discovery (Hermit Feature) - During her seclusion Thalya made a startling discovery.  Through dabbling with cosmic powers, she learned of a time of great tribulation that will befall the world.  Where darkness and evil will reign unopposed and that world’s only hope lies with a sliver of light – a Lightbearer.  One who is destined to fight and turn the tide of evil and to restore peace throughout the land.  And Thalya believes that her niece/nephew and the Lightbearer are connected.  Her worst fears were confirmed when the 'Time of Twilight" overshadowed the world.  She had to find her niece/nephew as soon as possible, for she/he will definitely need her help in the Lightbearer's battles. It has been three years now, and Thalya had find the Lightbearer's whereabouts.

Ons/Offs

Togashi

Varis Galanodel

Background - "In the village of the east, a knight will ascend. The lady of light will call the emissary. The eagle star foretells sorrow. Through darkness the light will shine, and a child of the lady will rise." These words were muttered by the Prophet Ar'a, the high priestess in the city of Varis' birth. On the day of his birth the "Eagle Star," a constellation known as L'Shara, was shining bright over the village. But nothing of the rest of the prophecy came to be. Varis was raised like most of the boys in his village in the art of combat. He trained in the art of shooting arrows, sword fighting, and even learning to hide in plain sight by playing childhood games. To the Wood Elves, everything had a purpose, even games children played.

As he grew up, Varis discovered the world, and became skilled in his combat techniques. He could fight his friends, specializing in shorter swords rather than the long swords most of his companions chose. They worked for reach, while he sought a way to fight to his body's leanings. He wasn't the weaker with a bow compared to most he trained with, the best only being a little better than he was. He could shoot with the best of them, though he was more effective in a fight.

His life was satisfactory, and he was happy to be a ranger. Patroling the woods of his home, and protecting the forests from those that would intrude on the land, or take too much from the nature there. But nineteen years ago the clerics in his home village began to have visions. Some were more accurate, but it wasn't until one declared Varis the downfall of his people that he paid attention. Longtime rivals, Varis had never been friends with the cleric that called him out. They had both sought the same lady. And now the other was declaring the prophecy of the Eagle Star signifying of Varis.

After much debate, arguments, and even being socially outcast, Varis was exiled. Rather than slay him, they gave him everything he wears on his back. After several years of wandering, he made the forest his home. Befriending a black wolf, Varis decided to seek someone that might be able to reinterpret the prophecy. So he sought the city of Latun, hoping one of Lux's chosen could help him. Almost as soon as he entered the city, did the attack begin, causing his heart to sink. Not one to stand by and let these people be slaughtered, Varis put everything he had into saving as many as he could.

Animal Companion below.

Dae - Wolf
HP: 12
AC: 15
Speed: 40

Skills: Perception +5, Stealth +6
Senses: Passive Perception: 13

Keen Hearing and Smell - The Wolf has advantage on wisdom(perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Pack tactics - The wolf has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and isn't incapacitated.

Bite - Melee Weapon Attack - +6 to hit,  Reach 5 ft. One target. Hit: 2d4+4 damage. If the target is a creature it must succeed on a dc 11 Strength save or be knocked prone.

Miroque

posted my application...(I need stil time to buy starting equipments but otherwise its ready)

tuckers02

I've always wanted to try 5th ed.  Most of my experience is from 3.5 and from what I've seen of 5th it's a streamed down version of 3.5.  I'll create my character tonight.  I'm thinking of a human fighter for a tank since the other three archtypes have been covered.

Chulanowa

tuckers02

Alyssa
Background: Alyssa was the 'son' that her father never had.  First born of two girls, Alyssa grew up amidst her father's disappointment.  There was no boy to carry on the Manon name and groom into the soldier that he himself was.  And so that's what he did with Alyssa.  From an early age, Alyssa was trained with a sword and shield to follow in her father's footsteps.  At the age of 16, she 'joined' the town guard.  It was the proudest moment of her life.  If only her Captain-of-the-Guard father would have let her do anything other than polish swords and armor or shovel out the watch stables.  If she had been a boy, her father would have let 'him' go out on patrols and jobs with experienced guards to hone those skills.  But even though her father had taught her everything he knew and she had worked hard to prove herself over and over again, she was still his precious daughter whom he could never bring himself to put in danger.

That is why she left home to become a soldier on a merchant marine ship.  Despite her elite training, her relative inexperience in fighting delegated her to swabbing the deck and helping in the galley.  She had joined the crew to get away from the menial tasks only for it to be handed back to her.  But out in the middle of the ocean, where else could she go?  Plus, there were bound to be pirate attacks right?  She just had to wait it out.  Of course it had been a coincidence that their port was in Latun the day Tenebrax defeated and claimed Lux.

Most of the crew of the ship quit that day but Alyssa was not one of them.  She stayed on getting an immediate promotion for doing so.  As the ship took on new crew and old crew either left or died to the sea or pirates over the last couple years, Alyssa steadily moved up until she was finally First Mate. 

She had gotten a letter from home saying that her parents had been killed and her younger sister taken along with some bone pipes that was found in her bedroom.  Alyssa had begged the Captain to help her go look for her, but the Captain refused.  It wasn't long after that that the Captain was killed by pirates, Alyssa now becoming Captain and sailing the ship back to port.

Most of the crew not wanting to sail under a young girl with a score to settle with the monsters that took her sister so she is left with just a skeleton crew.  Fixing up the ship and rechristening it the 'Esmeralda' after her missing sister, she then went out in search of those that could help save her sister.

FragarachZ

Male characters are welcome too. Hmm, imagine a male lightbearer surrounded by all these ladies...  :P
Oops, stop fantasizing GM!

Miroque, there's been no war of the gods for 1000 years. The world was at relative peace, only facing some monster raids every now and then. This game is black and white enough not to have its heroes come from bleak and sad backgrounds. Can you work around Elizah's background a bit more?

For story purposes PCs could be either native or visiting Latun the city of miracles when Tenebrax defeated and claimed Lux. The characters are either from the surrounding area, or travelers/sea-fearers since the party will own a ship.
O&O

Togashi

So what are we doing for starting gear? I assume the light-bearer will just have the standard starting gear, but what about the people starting at level 3? Depending on how much magic is in the game, would it be possible to have magic items? I know that level 3 characters can use Uncommon magical items. If not, how much money do we start with to purchase our gear?

Also, Varis, is a male.

rikka

We're quite aware of that. Frag was just joking (I think) on the idea of your character being the lightbearer.

Ons/Offs

Chulanowa

I've gotta hit the hay now, but I'll be thinking up ideas at work!

FragarachZ

Well the picture is quite feminine and... *sigh*
Sorry, made a mistake.

Level 3 characters will have starting equipment from their class and background. What gold is included in that they can spend on mundane items and equipment. They will get no magic item to start with. The lightbearer rolls for starting gold and will be able to spend it after the game begins to assemble his or her starting gear - that's because they will receive a different magic item based on what kind of character they are.

Everyone, make sure you roll for a trinket too. :)
O&O

rikka

Ons/Offs

tuckers02

The soldier background says I get a vehicle, though it specifies land.  But if no one else gets one, I guess the boat could be mine.

FragarachZ

I don't really see a use for Abyssal in the campaign.
By the way, for ranger favored enemies you might be best off with humanoids and undead. Don't expect to fight too many demons or dragons. For terrain choices, pick as you will, I'll try to include a variaty of climates/locales as you'll sail around for a while.

tuckers02, you could be a naval soldier and pick ship instead of a land vehicle.
O&O

tuckers02

Sounds good.  I'll adjust my background above.

Otherwise I think my character sheet is finished if you'd like to make sure I didn't miss anything since this is my first time making a 5E character.

Togashi

Hey tucker, did you add your dex into your ac? Because 5th doesn't do that if it's heavy armor.

Edit: Never mind, my bad. I see how you got it there. I'm just an idiot.