What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: LunarSage on January 27, 2012, 08:04:24 AM
Hehe even the "cheap" games are like $30 though for the 360. 

End result:  We have an Xbox 360 that we haven't even turned on in months.  We have a Wii, but we only use it for Netflix for the mini.

I dunno, I suspect I may just be over video games.  I wonder if I would even enjoy old games like MG:Solid and Dino Crisis if I played them again.  Sadly I think I'd be put off by the outdated graphics. 

I did love the gameplay of those older games far better.  Oh and Gameshark was my best friend!

*Laments the lack of cheat codes on modern games*   :'(

Ah.  See, I haven't even gotten one of the new systems.  The newest game system in the house is the little Oni's Nintendo DS, that she has primarily to play Plants vs. Zombies on.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aiden

Terraria

It is like Minecraft but in 2d, a whole lot of fun.

Bioluminescent

I've been doing a lot of grinding on Disgaea 4 lately. I must get everyone to level 9,999!
Nanotechnology transcending biology, this is how the race is won. By my hands, the sons of man. Understand, execute the plan.
Speed up the accelerating returns, cause carbon doesn't work. I want to evolve and operate at terahertz. So bring on the knee of the curve and let's transcend biology.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 27, 2012, 09:17:32 AM
So I decided to restart my Dark Souls game, and my run in with the Capra demon this time around confirms that Dark Souls is a positively mediocre game that has nothing really going for it but brutal difficulty. I tried no less than ten times losing at least three stored humanity and probably upwards of 10K in souls to beat the Capra demon. Here's the kicker. It's freaking luck based, absolutely luck based. Will he hit me when I roll this time? Will his dogs suddenly get to me in a burst of speed? Will one of his tracking attacks (of which every enemy in the game has the majority of, people who say different can actually use the useless roll mechanic. I can never get it to work without getting hit all the time) hit me as I go up the stairs? You can say, well luck is a factor in anything, but when it comes to needing good luck to actually beat a boss then it's pointless. People can't change their luck. They can get practiced, they can get skilled, but you can't get lucky. You can only be lucky.

Here's where I disagree entirely. Dark Souls, when I first heard about it, sounded like a really frustrating game, one I'd never enjoy. But as I've played it, my opinion has changed completely. I now consider it to be one of the best games I've played in recent years. It has all the delight of collecting items and leveling up, but a lot of games have that. What I really enjoy about it is that it's challenging without, to me at least, feeling cheap. I've had moments of frustration, sure, but I haven't really felt a lot of it, because I'm usually able to learn from it, and it's remarkable how quickly it gets easier when you work out the proper tactic.

I find the whole thing enormously satisfying. I mean, I remember the first time I fought a Black Knight, and he just completely murdered me the first few times. When I finally killed him, I felt awesome. Now, if I meet Black Knights, they go down in seconds. And it's not just because my character is stronger now. I've worked out the tactics, I know how to do it. I know what not to do.

Sabby

Rewatched Ego Raptor's Sequelitis, where he talks about games having to tell you constantly what to do without actually designing the levels to teach the player. And just as I'm watching this, I'm also playing Vanquish... which made me see how fucking right he was o.O There's always some side character or handler on an ear piece or something chirping in to explain this new enemy or area.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 27, 2012, 05:06:10 PM
Here's where I disagree entirely. Dark Souls, when I first heard about it, sounded like a really frustrating game, one I'd never enjoy. But as I've played it, my opinion has changed completely. I now consider it to be one of the best games I've played in recent years. It has all the delight of collecting items and leveling up, but a lot of games have that. What I really enjoy about it is that it's challenging without, to me at least, feeling cheap. I've had moments of frustration, sure, but I haven't really felt a lot of it, because I'm usually able to learn from it, and it's remarkable how quickly it gets easier when you work out the proper tactic.

I find the whole thing enormously satisfying. I mean, I remember the first time I fought a Black Knight, and he just completely murdered me the first few times. When I finally killed him, I felt awesome. Now, if I meet Black Knights, they go down in seconds. And it's not just because my character is stronger now. I've worked out the tactics, I know how to do it. I know what not to do.
See, I find collecting items and leveling up the boring part of Dark Souls. It's a grind. Grinding out souls, grinding out items. Then until you get certain other items you have to backtrack considerably if you need a smith to improve or repair. I think its strongest element is its environment. The only reason I keep playing it just to see what's around the corner. However, it's incredibly cheap at the strangest points. The capra demon is probably the cheapest part. Sure dying is frustrating, but dying when you no you have no real say in the outcome is just wrong, and that's the freaking capra fight to a T. I only beat him this time because of crappy programming: He got stuck on the tree next to the stairs and I was able to set up the infinite stair loop on him. I'm in Blighttown now and I've met my new most hated foe. The stupid pigmy raptor people (that's what they're called in the official guide, weird huh? =__=) They're a new enemy, and I missed one, but then one jumps on me and starts biting the crap out of me, and I'm at full health. My health bar is like five inches long, I'm a fighter. Suddenly then my critical defense boost is kicking in and of course I die because I'm not allowed to defend myself while he's jumping off after having snacked on my jugular. Cheap.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Hemingway

Yeah, that's a pretty good example of how not to play the game.

Inkidu

He raises two good point. Who really wants to die over and over and over again, for any reason. What is up with the "You Defeated" thing. It does make no sense whatsoever.

Also, does anyone ever play as Deprived? It always struck me as the class that would make the game even harder. I want to see if he can get to the Capra demon though. That would be priceless.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 27, 2012, 10:52:51 PM
He raises two good point. Who really wants to die over and over and over again, for any reason. What is up with the "You Defeated" thing. It does make no sense whatsoever.

Also, does anyone ever play as Deprived? It always struck me as the class that would make the game even harder. I want to see if he can get to the Capra demon though. That would be priceless.

But that's the entire point! Most modern games, I would say, are too easy. And when you turn up the difficulty, all you're doing is making the game more tedious, not really more difficult. I think you're giving people the wrong impression of the game when you say it's luck-based and frustrating, because that hasn't been my experience at all. I'm willing to accept the possibility that I'm just that good, but ...  O:)

As for playing as Deprived, probably people who want that added challenge, in addition to being able to build your character from scratch.

Kaernak

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are easily two of the absolute best games I've ever played.  No big "what a twist!" point in the plots(well..if you can call ten seconds of cut scene a plot anyway) and the controller throwing difficulty of the older generations of games(im looking at you battletoads!)   Neither game is supposed to be a hack and slash or a grinder.  In fact stats matter very little as people have been beating the game while remaining level 1.  It is all about learning what a boss does, learning how to adapt, and learning how to win.  Usually in that order.  That is all there is to it.

Wolfy

So..I picked up a PS3.

Along with Uncharted 3, Infamous 2, and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus.

Kaernak

Omg shadow of the colossus....I less than three'd that game sooooo much that I played for pretty much an entire weekend once.  My parents went out of town and needed me to take care of their dog (note this was back during the ps2 days).  So I just took my cat and we lived at their house while they were gone.  I'm fairly certain I skipped several meals, went through a 24 pack of beers and slew three colossi before realizing I hadn't slept, was extremely hungry, and I hadn't saved. 

LunarSage

Has anyone played God of War 3?  Is it worth it?  I was very disappointed to find out that it would not be released on XBox.  I did enjoy 1 and 2 (albeit with cheat codes.  I like the story more than the challenge) quite a bit.

2 left with quite a cliffhanger!

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Hemingway: I only said the Capra demon is luck-based, and for the love of God is it. I never felt that one was beat because of my skill, it was always a lucky break. Why? Because the most I've ever died against any boss before that one is twice. The most I've died against the Capra demon is thirty. You can't say I don't know what I'm doing, and it's universally accepted as the most cheap on opportunistic boss in the game by various things I've read.

A lot of other enemies have cheap moves and behaviors as well, but they're not all over the place which actually makes it more unfair and frustrating when they do cheap kill you. Also, the difficulty is already cranked up on Dark Souls it's no different in difficulty than any other game on its hardest difficulty. You might be that good, you might be lucky (which I would rather have, good luck never fails you), but if you read what people say, you're in a distinct and small minority. If the deaths in Dark Souls meant more than in any other game I think that would help, but it's just a death. I'm going to argue that it's you who are giving the wrong impression of the game because yours has not been my experience with the game. See, that's kind of pointless.

Kaernak: Really, because I've found Dark Souls to be controller-throwing frustrating at time, but more than that I've found it to be nothing but a grind. The game slows to purgatorial loops of dying and reclaiming your souls, and either you have to fight tooth and nail an inch at a time to get to the next door (and that wears you out, making frustration a lot more likely), or you've been through the area so many times it's like victory in hell: Shallow, pointless, and always going to happen. That's not even accounting the souls you need to grind out to get items or armor upgrades. Also the most traditional level grind.

If you don't think the game is cheap tell that to everyone who got killed the first time when you cross the bridge into the Undead Parish. I mean the very first time when the dragon just flies over and casually nukes you. You have no defense against it unless you know it's coming and they wouldn't.

Capone

Quote from: LunarSage on January 28, 2012, 06:39:31 AM
Has anyone played God of War 3?  Is it worth it?  I was very disappointed to find out that it would not be released on XBox.  I did enjoy 1 and 2 (albeit with cheat codes.  I like the story more than the challenge) quite a bit.

2 left with quite a cliffhanger!

You should play Ninja Gaiden 2 instead.

...wait, I don't know if they have cheat codes for that (and if you needed codes for God of War, you'd need them for Ninja Gaiden. Even the easy mode).

LunarSage

I didn't need them per say... but they made my gaming experience far more enjoyable.

Inkidu

Now the environment is trying to kill me. God. The last bonfire was at least half an hour to an hour away, through at least thirty enemies of varying nastiness. Boo! Then I get to the bottom and I have to cross a poisonous swamp! Not only that, but you'd better be freaking committed to crossing it (and it's a large area, too) because the second you step foot off of the shore you can't get back on (the way they did this particular beachhead is not conducive to climbing. So I basically died in a poisonous swamp and that's where all my stuff is going to be when I get back (if I don't die first). Can anyone say Purgatorial loop yet again?

EDIT: Another Dark Souls failing. A little more direction wouldn't have hurt the game at all. You get a few ambiguous hints and directions as to where you're supposed to got, but heck, all the guides (which I have to use because I can't spend hours just finding out where to go, I have other things to do you know) say to do the Drakeroot Gardens before Blighttown. Well, my souls and shit are at the very end of Blighttown. It's as if this game doesn't want me to play it!

EDIT EDIT: As it turns out, Dark Souls doesn't want me to play it. In addition to the take-them-as-you-will mechanics and designs above the game is also technically unsound. In a game where every slash could kill you it's very bad when you have crippling shuttering frame-rates and even lag. I lost four humanity and probably 10K in souls on a lag snipe. Screw Dark Souls.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 28, 2012, 10:01:58 AM
Now the environment is trying to kill me. God. The last bonfire was at least half an hour to an hour away, through at least thirty enemies of varying nastiness. Boo! Then I get to the bottom and I have to cross a poisonous swamp! Not only that, but you'd better be freaking committed to crossing it (and it's a large area, too) because the second you step foot off of the shore you can't get back on (the way they did this particular beachhead is not conducive to climbing. So I basically died in a poisonous swamp and that's where all my stuff is going to be when I get back (if I don't die first). Can anyone say Purgatorial loop yet

There's plenty of safe ground in the swamp, though ( plenty of treasure, too, and with the exception of stone-throwing giants, the creatures there are not very dangerous compared to others ). Get the Rusted Iron Ring from the Undead Asylum ( if you don't know how to get back there, look it up - it's quite tricky ), some gear to protect you from poison, and some moss from the tree-guys in the forest, and you're good to go. The boss down there is among the easiest, too, though it's definitely worth bringing as much fire protection as possible.

The framerate in Blighttown was ridiculous, though, that sucked. I have no clue why they didn't catch that before releasing the game. So far I haven't had that anywhere else, and I hope it stays that way.

Now ... I wonder what to do. Dark Souls or Darksiders?

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 28, 2012, 02:57:59 PM
There's plenty of safe ground in the swamp, though ( plenty of treasure, too, and with the exception of stone-throwing giants, the creatures there are not very dangerous compared to others ). Get the Rusted Iron Ring from the Undead Asylum ( if you don't know how to get back there, look it up - it's quite tricky ), some gear to protect you from poison, and some moss from the tree-guys in the forest, and you're good to go. The boss down there is among the easiest, too, though it's definitely worth bringing as much fire protection as possible.

The framerate in Blighttown was ridiculous, though, that sucked. I have no clue why they didn't catch that before releasing the game. So far I haven't had that anywhere else, and I hope it stays that way.

Now ... I wonder what to do. Dark Souls or Darksiders?
You missed the point. I was more frustrated that I couldn't get up the embankment that I descended at. Usually when I find a place poisonous I get back to safe ground and look around. Not in Dark Souls; in Dark Souls you die. I don't need to be screwed over by crappy terrain programing too.

Capone

Hey LunarSage, what do you think of old style games in the vein of Zelda?

I just beat Bastion today, and I'm thinking if you want old fashion gaming, Indie is starting to be the direction to go, and Bastion was definitely a good game with a good story. It was a lot of fun, right up to the very end. It also comes with a New Game Plus option, which is always welcome. :D

Not a video game, but I played the Resident Evil deck-building card game tonight. The rules seem very complex at first, but once you get into the flow it's not that hard to figure out, and is actually pretty fun.

LunarSage

Hey Capone, thanks for thinking of me!  :-)

What system is Bastion for?

Wolfy

Quote from: LunarSage on January 29, 2012, 12:29:06 AM
Hey Capone, thanks for thinking of me!  :-)

What system is Bastion for?

All. ;D

As far as I know, anyway....PC, Xbox Live, and PSN..I think.

LunarSage

Crud.  Gotta have live?  My XBox didn't come with the wifi adapter.  Those suckers are like $70-$80!  >.<

Capone

I know you can play the game via Steam, and even via Google Chrome of all things. If you have a wired Xbox controller you could use that to play it on PC as well.

It's an Xbox Live Arcade title, though, so you'd at least have to be connected to Live to buy it (though my Xbox being disconnected from the Internet ONCE deleted all of my Castle Crashers data somehow, pissing me off to no end).