Here's why your brain needs you to read every day

Started by Lilias, September 06, 2018, 11:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

QuoteHere’s a simple question—answer it honestly, because your response could boost the amount of pleasure in your daily life, delay dementia, and even help you live longer: How many hours did you spend reading books last week?

https://www.rd.com/culture/benefits-of-reading/
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

I read novels for about an hour every day at least.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

RedRose

What about kobo, etc? If yes then I definitely read at least one hour a day sometimes much more.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Lilias

Quote from: RedRose on September 07, 2018, 06:03:55 AM
What about kobo, etc? If yes then I definitely read at least one hour a day sometimes much more.

The material is what matters, not the medium.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Arianna

QuoteHow many hours did you spend reading books last week?

Far too many. Which would not be a problem if I did not favor reading to sleeping. Great article.

meikle

I'm reading a lot of relationship maintenance books lately. 
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Oniya

Actual paper books, at least an hour a day.  Unless the hot water runs out.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kinghex

There's a few points of consideration before changing reading patterns to accomodate this article.

The first is span and focus. It's making the point that reading improves longevity. However, it does this in an increasingly convoluted way. It begins with any type of book for thirty minutes against nothing. This becomes three hours weekly against newspapers and articles. The next change is a total departure. It's children who read with their parents against those who don't. This change is most significant. It defies the thesis of the article by proposing an outcome that's not health. It proposes an abstract parenting outcome for the outcome of a child. The focus of this piece changes.

The focus changes are intentional for an outcome that's not learning. This piece has a whopping sixteen internal links for other sections of that site. They're topic changes to accomodate site reference material to generate views.

'Reading is good' is a premise beyond argument. Referenced links may have positive outcomes. However, someone interested in the empirical results of reading and whether paper, digital, or genre matters would be better off looking at primary sources. (Notably, the detail on the size and rigor of some cited material declines as the article progresses. The information may not be credible enough to develop a substantial case on.)

This article is just candy, and the site is aware of it.

Tolvo

Do only paper books count? Cause if like online journals and research papers and articles and things count, probably upwards of 6 hours each day. But I rarely sit down with a paper book, I just find it hard to do so. When I manage to start I can spend a whole day just reading but starting to do so is very hard for me. But I love to learn a lot and while I like fiction I mostly like to read research and study.

Kinghex

Quote from: Tolvo on December 08, 2018, 01:47:43 PM
Do only paper books count? Cause if like online journals and research papers and articles and things count, probably upwards of 6 hours each day. But I rarely sit down with a paper book, I just find it hard to do so. When I manage to start I can spend a whole day just reading but starting to do so is very hard for me. But I love to learn a lot and while I like fiction I mostly like to read research and study.

My two cents has become four cents.

Humbly, I think comprehension and the measures taken to achieve it would matter most if you're concerned with learning. Myself, I get my results through editing digital material. I reduce a text to the most basic form (no extraneous language, abstract wording, etc). This allows me to read without any problems of understanding caused by language, not concepts. It's worth active experimentation. If you feel most confident or interested in research material, and you have methods to organize what you learn, there's little reason to be concerned you'll experience a shortfall compared to traditional readers.

AmberStarfire

I don't spend much time reading novels anymore because I prefer to put the time into writing them. I spend a lot of time reading back over what I've written and writing more, then editing what I've written later. I'd be lucky to spend 1 hour a week on average reading books (it's more that I'll go ages between books, then read something). I can easily spend 10 hours a week writing my own, and I'd spend a lot more time than that reading on the net (posts and articles).

Oniya

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 09, 2018, 04:37:22 PM
I spend a lot of time reading back over what I've written and writing more, then editing what I've written later.

Wouldn't this still count as reading? 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Oniya on December 09, 2018, 11:01:15 PM
Wouldn't this still count as reading?

I think it would, though it's not quite the same as reading someone else's writing either.