The Family

Started by Stattick, March 10, 2008, 04:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stattick

QuoteMorticia: And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.

I'm thinking about running a game inspired by the first Addams Family Movie. Let me be clear, that I'm only talking about the first movie as inspiration, not the TV series, nor the other forms of Addams Family media. I'm not talking about a rip off, but rather inspiration. Not having players take on the same roles and characters from the movie. Rather, I'm hoping to find that same macabre magic that they had, the happy dysfunctional family against a world that will never understand them.

QuoteGomez: [he has thrown a sword and pierced the wall not but two inches from Tully's head] Ah, missed!
QuoteMorticia: Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.

A decadent family of misanthropes, witches, psychopaths, mutants, and murders. Because roots are important.

QuoteGomez: [as they search for Wednesday] Fan out; Pugsley - head for the dung heap. Mama and Morticia - the shallow graves. I'll take the abyss, and Lurch - check the bottomless pit.
Morticia: Her favourite...
Gomez: Fester!
Uncle Fester: [They look up at Fester, looking down at them from Wednesday's window] Up here.
Gomez: Fester! You take the ravine! And the unmarked, abandoned well!
Uncle Fester: Somebody should stay behind - in case she comes back.
Gomez: Good man! Good thinking!
Uncle Fester: Then who'll take the swamp?
Gomez: [Thing tugs at the cuff of Gomez's pants. Gomez nods] That's the spirit, Thing: lend a hand! Let's go!

I also think that it's important that they have a lot of family wealth. How else can they afford the space for the shallow graves of their enemies, the unmarked abandoned wells, bottomless pits, swamps, and acid pits for their young to frolick in?

Quote[after burying two people]
Pugsley: Are they dead?
Wednesday: Does it matter?

Their ideals are not our ideals. They worship heroes of a different sort, not the banal uplifting heroes of the mundane world, but rather those that left a beautiful and dark mark upon the world in their wake.

QuoteGomez: We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you.

Dark, decadent, twisted, gothic, beautiful, alien, grotesque, dangerous, alluring, seductive, fun... Do you have what it takes to be a member of this family? If you're interested, submit a character proposal below. Don't forget to include the nature of how your character is twisted, different, and apart from mainstream society. Some would call you insane, but we'd rather call you family. The family will also be hunting their enemies and searching for victims. Perhaps even a lucky few mundanes might be able to join the ranks of the family given time.

QuoteMorticia: Gomez.
Gomez: Querida?
Morticia: Last night you were unhinged... You were like some desperate, howling demon... You frightened me... Do it again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAULbiQp-hE
O/O   A/A

Trieste

Oh, man... this looks like so much fun. I don't like to join multi-player stuff 'cause of my crazy posting schedule, but promise you'll link it in here when you get it going. *tugs on coattails* Pleeeease?

Kazyth

Are you looking for roughly canon chars, or completely original?
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

AKunoichi

Can I be a creepy little girl like Sadako or Alma Wade?

Stattick

Quote from: Trieste on March 10, 2008, 09:58:29 AM
Oh, man... this looks like so much fun. I don't like to join multi-player stuff 'cause of my crazy posting schedule, but promise you'll link it in here when you get it going. *tugs on coattails* Pleeeease?

As you wish.

Quote from: Kazyth on March 10, 2008, 12:32:17 PM
Are you looking for roughly canon chars, or completely original?

I'd rather have original characters.

Quote from: AK47 on March 10, 2008, 01:48:48 PM
Can I be a creepy little girl like Sadako or Alma Wade?

Yes. However, we may have to curtail the supernatural nature of the character some. I don't mind a degree of supernaturalness though. Also, keep in mind that with the site restrictions, that if your character is less then 16 years of age, than the character may not be present during any scenes that are overtly sexual. She would have to be mature of both mind and body if you wished to participate in any sexual play.
O/O   A/A

AKunoichi

Quote from: Stattick on March 10, 2008, 05:21:27 PM
Yes. However, we may have to curtail the supernatural nature of the character some. I don't mind a degree of supernaturalness though. Also, keep in mind that with the site restrictions, that if your character is less then 16 years of age, than the character may not be present during any scenes that are overtly sexual. She would have to be mature of both mind and body if you wished to participate in any sexual play.

So,
Can she walk on the ceiling and make the walls bleed or not?

Olufemi

LoL

Fun...  I'll have to check it out when you get it running.. be an interesting read.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
On's & Offs [/td][/tr][/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
A/A - Updated Aug 22, 2011 [/td][/tr][/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
Roleplay wants [/td][/tr][/table]

Hunter

I keep thinking this is a mafia game.  Silly me.  *wanders off*

Stattick

Quote from: AK47 on March 10, 2008, 05:37:31 PM
So,
Can she walk on the ceiling and make the walls bleed or not?

I'm inclined to say no on those, I'm sorry. I don't mind a bit of the supernatural, but those powers seem rather more powerful then I'd prefer.
O/O   A/A

Celestial Goblin

Oh, I like this idea...
I might go for it:)

AKunoichi

Quote from: Stattick on March 12, 2008, 11:39:38 AM
I'm inclined to say no on those, I'm sorry. I don't mind a bit of the supernatural, but those powers seem rather more powerful then I'd prefer.

Even Illusions?

Valerian

*panics*  I know I shouldn't add another game, but I suddenly have this uncontrollable urge to play a sweet-looking, soft-spoken ingenue who has an uncanny knack of getting men to kill for her.  Or maybe people (not family, of course) just always end up dead in her vicinity, and she can never imagine how or why it happens...
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Kazyth

*laughs*  Interesting call Valerian.  I was thinking of playing the family 'rebel', a young, normal looking guy who tries so hard to fit into mainstream society... which is why he has to hide his extra set of arms.  Or, if that is too supernatural, maybe he just makes anyone outside of the family really uncomfortable with his little quirks that family life instilled in him.  And everytime normal people rebuff him, he returns to the lovingly deranged embrace of the only ones who accept him.

Stattick

Quote from: Celestial Goblin on March 12, 2008, 01:01:37 PM
Oh, I like this idea...
I might go for it:)

You'd be welcomed, and if you do go for it, there's cookies. (Further expanded on in my response to Valerian.)  :)

Quote from: AK47 on March 13, 2008, 05:26:26 AM
Even Illusions?

Illusions could work, with some limitations. I'd like you to expound upon a few that she can do almost without flaw that will fool most of the people most of the time. Any illusions that she tries outside of those few might still succeed, especially against only a lone victim or two, but are harder for her and more prone to failure, especially against crowds.

I hate to be cruel, but since you are so new to E and have so few posts for me to judge by, consider an exposition on how you would see her illusions working, what her strongest ones are, and her limitations to be an entrance exam for the game. If you write clearly, strongly, and with conviction, then I shall gladly invite you, especially if you can make me feel the deliciously sinful quality of your character. In other words, convince me.

It's not that I want to be a snob and be exclusionary, but a new multi-player game is a fragile thing, and a fly in the ointment at the start can be the death knell. My cruelty to you is a kindness for the whole. I hope you understand.

Quote from: Valerian on March 13, 2008, 10:49:08 AM
*panics*  I know I shouldn't add another game, but I suddenly have this uncontrollable urge to play a sweet-looking, soft-spoken ingenue who has an uncanny knack of getting men to kill for her.  Or maybe people (not family, of course) just always end up dead in her vicinity, and she can never imagine how or why it happens...

Valerian, I shall not twist your arm to anguish, use torment on your mind, or even sweet seduction to recruit you to our macabre family. One must enter with an open mind and an open heart and prey that they are not consumed... in the bad way. Your ideas are pure and dark, and radiate sweetly. If you join with us, there are girl scout cookies, of an ancient and secret family recipe. They are to die for.

Quote from: Kazyth on March 13, 2008, 11:03:24 AM
*laughs*  Interesting call Valerian.  I was thinking of playing the family 'rebel', a young, normal looking guy who tries so hard to fit into mainstream society... which is why he has to hide his extra set of arms.  Or, if that is too supernatural, maybe he just makes anyone outside of the family really uncomfortable with his little quirks that family life instilled in him.  And everytime normal people rebuff him, he returns to the lovingly deranged embrace of the only ones who accept him.

Something along these lines could certainly work. I'm not sure about the four arm thing, but it could work, so I do not deny the concept. I've seen some of your writing, and you sold me with, "Fear sweat clings to her naked legs". Fear sweat for the win.  :)

Yes, I'm picky because writing, especially for a group, is work. Working for free in my spare time is only worth it if the enjoyment is great enough.

Anyway, as to posting rates that I'd expect from players... Slow games bore me and make me loose interest. Games full of one-liners or with little character interaction bores me as well. I put up no strict guidelines, but I'd hope to see a post per player every day or two. I'll post as needed, but in all likelyhood will put up a major post once or twice a week. We all have real lives of course, and my expected post rate may be overly ambitious, but I hope not.
O/O   A/A

Elvi

Do you have a matriarch for the game yet?
I feel a more shapely 'Morticia' looking over my shoulder....

(And I trust the cookies are still alive?)
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Celestial Goblin

My character:

Name: Lysander

Looks:Fit, long dark hair, light tan and a pretty face with a perpetual wry smile stuck on it. Most often dressed in a full leather tuxedo or a similar tastefully outrageous garment.

Personality:Young man with a love for theatrics and a passionate interests in macabre. Couldn't be more happy than to sit in his room and sift trough his collection of terrible things and forbidden literature. Likes to expose others to his dark interests and draw them in his often sadistic games. When dealing with people, he's perfectly polite and charming, but always tries to manipulate others to his gain. Everyonce in a while, he reveals his angry and cynical side and starts to criticize everything and everyone.
Lysander has a masochistic streak in addition to his enjoyment of other people's fear.

Stattick

Quote from: Elvi on March 13, 2008, 05:22:55 PM
Do you have a matriarch for the game yet?
I feel a more shapely 'Morticia' looking over my shoulder....

I don't yet have a matriarch, and I think you'd be perfect for the role.

Quote from: Elvi on March 13, 2008, 05:22:55 PM(And I trust the cookies are still alive?)

Sinful ideas and contributions such as these are encouraged...

I think that every character should have a power or effect on those around them, and those that lack that, a skill or skillset that they are extraordinary in. For instance, from the source of inspiration, Gomez was a master fencer, Fester was a master of the distructive arts, and Morticia had this ever-present hypnotic quality that made it difficult to say "no" to her. Players are not required to choose a power or extraordinary skill, but they may.

Also remember that if you are having trouble in finding inspiration, there are servent and pet positions available in the household as well. Victims need only knock upon the door...

I'd like to get at least 5 family members and servents/pets before opening an OCC thread.
O/O   A/A

Elvi

OOOOOOO.....I'll have a think on it then.....*wanders off rubbing hands together*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Stattick

Quote from: Celestial Goblin on March 13, 2008, 06:07:09 PM
My character:

Name: Lysander

Looks:Fit, long dark hair, light tan and a pretty face with a perpetual wry smile stuck on it. Most often dressed in a full leather tuxedo or a similar tastefully outrageous garment.

Personality:Young man with a love for theatrics and a passionate interests in macabre. Couldn't be more happy than to sit in his room and sift trough his collection of terrible things and forbidden literature. Likes to expose others to his dark interests and draw them in his often sadistic games. When dealing with people, he's perfectly polite and charming, but always tries to manipulate others to his gain. Everyonce in a while, he reveals his angry and cynical side and starts to criticize everything and everyone.
Lysander has a masochistic streak in addition to his enjoyment of other people's fear.

Perfect.

Do you want to take an extraordinary skill, or a power of some sort?

You don't have to, and I'd be interested in what ideas you come up with yourself, but I could see him as a gifted thespian who uses his talents to beguile others for use in his "games". But your ideas may be more interesting then mine, and you should pick something that fits your vision of him, not my vision. :)
O/O   A/A

Kazyth

Name:  Henri

Henri would be your All-American young man, were it not for the influence of his loved ones.  Trying to grow up normal in house like theirs has always been an uphill battle, to say the least.  His clothing is generally preppie, hair done in the latest trendy fashion, and his sparkling white smile is the envy of Crest commercials everywhere.  Dark haired, dark eyed, fit and ruggedly handsome, he could have been the most popular guy in school.  If not for that... little thing.  Henri has a poltergeist.  No one is sure who it is, because it refuses to answer.  It's there none the less, subtly moving little things when he is at rest, whispering almost inaudibly into peoples ears, stirring hair and raising hackles.  When he is truely agitated, however, things move around more noticeably.  Accidents happen, soft words are heard where no words should be coming from, and 'normal' people become even more uncomfortable.

Dating is understandably difficult.  He tends to endure the peculiarities of various family members with long-suffering, oft-exasperated resignation.  One can only be asked, "Can you fetch the shovels and quicklime, darling?  Jehova's witnesses can be so very persistent" so many times while doing homework before it is simply one more thing...

AKunoichi

Quote from: Stattick on March 13, 2008, 04:49:42 PM
Illusions could work, with some limitations. I'd like you to expound upon a few that she can do almost without flaw that will fool most of the people most of the time. Any illusions that she tries outside of those few might still succeed, especially against only a lone victim or two, but are harder for her and more prone to failure, especially against crowds.

I hate to be cruel, but since you are so new to E and have so few posts for me to judge by, consider an exposition on how you would see her illusions working, what her strongest ones are, and her limitations to be an entrance exam for the game. If you write clearly, strongly, and with conviction, then I shall gladly invite you, especially if you can make me feel the deliciously sinful quality of your character. In other words, convince me.

It's not that I want to be a snob and be exclusionary, but a new multi-player game is a fragile thing, and a fly in the ointment at the start can be the death knell. My cruelty to you is a kindness for the whole. I hope you understand.

Ok will do.

"alright Class. I want you all to welcome our new foreign exchange student. This is Yureiko, She came all the way from japan." The teachers introduction did little to entice the students into welcoming the girl. New kids often have a hard time making friends and she wasn't exactly the outgoing type ether. Completely silent, Messy black hair, skin so pale you could swear you could see right through her, and those eyes. If you just saw them out of the corner of your eye you could almost swear they were missing, Bloody holes. Yes, She was not one that fit in easy and Bobbi Stanford considered it his duty to break in the newcomer.
Crumpling a sheet of paper into a ball he took aim at the back of her head and fired. The projectile flew in a perfect arc towards its target. 3..2..1..and *Plink* Something bounced off the back of Bobbi's head. He turned around searching for whoever was responsible. Nobody, He was sitting in the back row. Looking down at the floor he could find no sign of whatever it was that hit him either. "Strange" he though as he turned back looking forward. Than, he saw her face.
Rotated 180 degrees. Its eyes, sunken pits of festering bloody scar tissue staring right at him. He felt a Icy Jolt of fear shoot up his spine as the whole world started to change into a vision of hell around him. The other student's flesh began to decay, insects crawling from there eyes.
Evey nerve in his body told him to move yet his muscles would not obey. Evey tendon drawn taught as he gripped the desk. He let out a silent scream as The teacher raised a large butchers knife and threw it right at his head. The Cruel steel sending bolts of white hot pain thorugh his face as...
"Mr, Stanford. Since you seem to be so interested in this story why don't you read."
"Huh?" He gasped in confusion. The teacher's remark yanking him back to reality.

Thats all for now. If you want more ask.

Yueriko is a ghost (a Yueri to be exact) and has the power to enter peoples minds and fill them with visions of death and destruction. Against the weak minded these illusions can kill, The hapless victim having a heart attack or stabbing themselves in the gut. However someone with experience in this sort of thing (the other PCs) will realize there true nature and probably only be annoyed when the walls start to bleed.
As for what she is doing with the family? Well if another character is also high school aged than she is a foreign exchange student living with them. Otherwise she is a distant cousin.

Also she was about 17 years old when she died.

Elohim

Hm, this could be interesting...  would you have room for an "eccentric" mad scientist?  You always need someone there to fix what's broken... and what isn't.

The Great Triangle

I might be interested in playing the Family's devoted domestic servant:  A reanimated corpse created in 1752 by Benjamin Franklin, and gifted to the family in exchange for their help in advancing franklin's research.  The construct prefers to go by the name Frankie, and is in remarkably good shape for being over 250 years old.  Of course, by any other standard, he is an absolute horror made of dessicated flesh and held toghether by metal rivets and leather straps.  His eyes are a bit of a hassle.  His right eye, a gigantic sphere taken from a moose, is perfectly reliable, if profoundly disturbing.  As for his left eye, he's never been able to find an eye that will stay in for more than 6 months.  For now, he's simply relying on the eye of a tiger, having heard good things about it. 

Despite his male name, Frankie is a neuter and somewhat confused by the concept of gender, often wearing frilly dresses just as often as he does masculine coveralls.  Frankie's main duties around the house are to tailor clothing for the family, write the family histories, maintain the torture chambers, and ensure that the local wildlife has the fear of God in them.  In the past, Frankie also entertained guests, but this practice was halted after a certain incedent with the Shelley family that resulted in the death of a number of great poets.

Frankie has a genius level intellect, and tends to be on hand to step out of a secret passage and give advice to family members.  Aside from his confusion about gender, he also seems to have a biziarre facination with the act of sticking a fork in an electrical socket, often doing so for hours and hours on end in the middle of the night.  He simply does not care to explain why, and no one really wants to ask.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Valerian

Oh, bother, I can't resist.  Melanie is the sweet girl, perfectly normal-looking, trendy in dress, not exactly beautiful, but very attractive and friendly, somehow able to attract attention everywhere she goes, in spite of not being quite a glamour queen.  And she wants to make friends, really -- it's just that the people she talks to for any length of time all seem to have the strange habit of ending up dead in various bizarre and unexpected ways.  Mysteriously flattened by slow-moving steamrollers, pecked to death by pheasants, accidentally killing themselves by eating a surfeit of eels, what have you -- but though they all seem to happen around her, she never has any knowledge of exactly what happened or why or anything.  She mourns every death, convinced for a time that she will simply never have any friends; then tries again in a few days, apparently convinced that this time, things will be different somehow.  She keeps some of her old favorites in her room, those that have been preserved in various ways, tending them carefully and generally treating them like treasured dolls.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Stattick

Quote from: Seraph on March 13, 2008, 07:44:09 PM
Hm, this could be interesting...  would you have room for an "eccentric" mad scientist?  You always need someone there to fix what's broken... and what isn't.

Oh, I rather think we could fit a concept in like that. Grampa WAS my favorite character on The Munsters, and not (only) because he an old vampire with an eye toward the ladies. It was the laboritory/dungeon that I liked. Cobwebs, dust, Beakers, Tesla coils, strange apparati, and bizarre experiments delving into secret knowledge where men should not prod.  :)

EDIT: Also, I think that Grampa was the first Techno-Wizard. He used technology and magic together.
O/O   A/A