An Epic Multiplayer World!

Started by ForensicaX, October 25, 2011, 08:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForensicaX

Once upon a time...

...in a land far, far away from the world we know, in a time long forgotten, nestled in the center of a barren plain of cracked, dry earth and high winds a great spirit came to rest. The being looked about at the vast expanse of draught and death and in his grief shed a tear. The single tear dropped to the earth as he rose to the heavens and where it landed, the world gasped. As if compelled, the wind ceased to howl and the two suns made their final descent on the horizon.

With this first breath, with this sucking in of the God's single tear, a spring bubbled forth from the earth. Through the night, the spring spread outwards, rivulets of water creeping their way through the deep, dry cracks that ran the surface of the plain, bringing with them the breath of life.

The god's tear gave birth to Magic. And Magic spread life to the corners of the world. As life spread and changed and grew, new forms of existence came into being. First insects, then animals, then nymphs, elves, and men populated the newly green and breathing world.

All that breathed the air and drank the morning dew hummed with Magic. At first, life was cognizant of Magic. At first, all manner of creatures made pilgrimage and paid homage to the spring in honor of the Magic.

But with light, there is always darkness. With the beauty of the newly born world, evil was also spawned. Slowly, it fed on the Magic. It crept into the facets of life and corrupted the trust among the races.

Slowly, Life forgot that it was born from Magic. The world aged and grew tired. The rain came less often. The lesser creatures lost their ability to communicate with one another. The elves could no longer sing to the trees. The men could no longer understand their beasts of burden.

One hundred thousand years pass and the world is now littered with the ruins of forgotten shrines and the remnants of once-great castles. A great plague infects life. Men fall. Elves fall. Dragons. Insects. Merlife. Faerie. Fowl. And all are ignorant to the death cries of the world.

All, except a handful of fated persons, destined to seek out the old magic.

So this is my idea. The current human era is comprable to the early 1900's. The elves have moved into the mountains. Faeries and such have disappeared from civilized areas except in tiny tiny populations. Think steampunk as far as technology goes. No one believes the old fairytales anymore.

The group I want needs to represent all the races eventually. I'm thinking the epic Tolkien-like journey to bring balance back to the world in the end. At first, each character's story will be outlined by turn. The way I see this working is that the actual character plot is developed first, then we all play secondary characters to help that first character until all the character backgrounds are complete. They will provide the basis for our main plot.

These will culminate with the groups union, at which time all parties participating would assume their primary role and we'd advance the plot from there.

I'm open to ideas as to how we reach the goal: rekindling the world's awareness of the Magic and fighting back against the great mysterious disease.  I'm also open to minor tweaking of current era.

I hope I get some interest from you guys I was up all night making doodles of this between studying!!

selfexiled

Uhm holy wow!!!!!! sounds really kewl and I like the back story and how it was written, very elegant. I'm interested in this.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134455.msg5990414#msg5990414

Absences:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180093.0

ForensicaX

Awesome! Do you have any ideas for plot, your character, etc? If you just have character ideas that's fine. Just give me your species description... I love the planning portions of these things!!!!

GingerMinx

I absolutely loved the detail in your opener Forensica :} I wish for a promising approval so that sometime we may get to play behind the curtain.

I like the idea of a fantastical journey play right now. Let me know what types of characters you'd be wanting to fill in this.

Also like the steam punk interjected into this. :]

ForensicaX

Thank you, Ginger!

We'll need lots of characters, mostly good or gray-area types.

I think I'm wanting to start my personal character off as a young human who sort of stumbled upon other races and was young enough to believe. In this universe I imagine most young things would overlap but forget or lose faith as they got older. That specific story line should come last as far as the character bios go though.

I'm envisioning an Elf, a Faerie (Fae), a Dragon, an Insect... Or whatever my players come up with as their main protagonist for the quest party. The oldest character storyline should go first, I think.

As for what sort of characters I'm hoping to have in this mad little universe, I want all types. Drunks, gamblers, villains, sweet old ladies, whatever we like! The plot itself is on the table for creation/development. 

Suggestions, my lovely E-lovers?

GingerMinx

:}

I'm not too familiar with an "epic" story-line, but I have been craving a little adventure so If this gets going I think I want in. :} While the idea of playing an innocent naive believer does sound appealing to myself, I think a playing a more headstrong dense character is in need in my repertoire. I think I may seize up the dragon type character before the going gets hot. :p

ForensicaX

Woohoo!

The epic storyline is any plot that narrates the great heroic deeds of legendary figures. Typically, an epic is originally written as a poem, such as the Iliad or Beowulf.

I hope we get more people into this. I've already drawn up a map of the universe! I'll post it once I make a digital version.

Also, we need a name for our world. I'm bad at naming things.

selfexiled

Think I'd try a fae of sorts with a doctor jekyl, mr hyde kind of flair. I'll have to develop it more of course but that's my current thought.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

ForensicaX

ForensicaX

Just wanted to let y'all know, my recent (hours old) approval doesn't affect my wanting to do this RP. We can still start out in the nonadult sandbox and if all our players are approved we can always move the thread and include other things.

It doesn't have to have explicit content.

Still crazy excited!

selfexiled

Ok!! No more coffee for you!!!!! Sorry it seemed to fit at the time.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

GingerMinx

I agree. And congrats on your approval Forensica :} It might be nice to leave it in the pg-13 sandbox and then if anything.... above pg-13 we can just link it to the appropriate sub tab. :} I'm not horribly bad at naming, but I'm not an original namer... I usually pick up everyday objects and just look at the labels until I find a word I like, and then vamp into what I want it to be. Lol.

selfexiled

Good thing I reviewed the posts I was gonna name the IC thread but youre asking for the world itself.... Faeroon?? That sounds familiar but cant remember from where or what.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

ForensicaX

Woohoo! Faeroon's a good idea but I'm not quite sure I want one of the races referenced in the name "Fae" coming from the Faeries...

Buuuuuuuut on the other hand it could be one of those forgotten origins. Maybe the fae came first and named the world as one of the first speaki

ANYWAY! HERE'S THE WORLD!

selfexiled

OOO fancy map! I generally see Fae as magical beings and not just faeries so meh whatever.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

ForensicaX

Then sure, we'll put it on the considerations list.

Got an idea for your character yet?

Shiny

Hello,

(Faeroon sounds quite like Faerûn o if i may be so...nerdy ;)   )

Nothing great, but for someone to share their thoughts.

Shiny

sorry,
there should be much more attached to my post up there, unfortunately i accidentally hit post. Here's the rest of it:

I like your idea very much, it sounds like a very interesting project.

How did you envision the insects or fowls or merfolk?
Are they more intelligent than the creatures we encounter in our world?
Are they allowed to look different?

I have this idea of a tribe of large ants, or something like that. Thousands of individuals serving their colony, personified by the queen, an avatar of their goddess. The individual is considered worthless, a sacrifice for the good of the colony waiting to happen. For everyone falling to the plague, there are another hundred to take its place.
So when one gets separated from it's tribe, it simply awaits its inevitable end,... which never comes...

(Twists! Treasure! Romance! An.. elephant?!) ;)

I think it needs a bit of polishing, but would you consider this to be consistent with your story idea?

ForensicaX

Shiny,

I envision the insects, fowl and merfolk as highly intelligent beings originally. However, with the deterioration of awareness of Magic, the insects and fowl would have lost their ability to communicate with other creatures. A few psychics or gifted persons would be able to understand them. If you've seen pan's labyrinth, the first fairy is how I imagine the insect types.

Yes, everything can look different. Yes, all creatures will be much more intelligent than we believe of those on our world. Sentient, to be sure.

I hope that makes sense.

And yes! Your character idea is perfectly consistent with my universe! Love it!

selfexiled

My character idea is a fae being that can take the shape of humans but he still holds many Fae features which is why he always wears a top hat to cover his long ears. He is also more slender than the average human and has quite a sharp nose and chin. He was once called on by magic users of appropriate skill to antagonize others but with the fading of magic he was called less often to the point of not at all and it enraged him causing him to change into a viscious wild-eyed violent version of himself. He changes color his body hair goes wild, muscles bulge ripping most of clothing but somehow manages to always keep his hat. He's generally very proper but a savagely sly trickster.

Shiny I do believe you are correct in the name, it's Lord of the Rings right? One of the lands held by the Noldor? It's been a while since I read any of it.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Shiny

Thank you very much, Forensica, for answering my Questions.

I've just watched Pan's Labyrinth* following your remark and I like the looks of the first fairy better than my ant based idea. I was going with B-movie quality "ant-monsters".
In this version, they are way more agile (and they can fly!). Probably easier to interact with.
Sticking with the swarm idea, maybe they live in gigantic hives, up on the very treetops, in the heart of only the biggest Forests.

I think I will post a character outline and a more detailed background after I looked into some stuff on social insects and figured out how sentience might affect their behavior.

Hello selfexiled,
Close, but no banana! :)
[smartypants mode on]
Faerûn is a continent or subcontinent in the forgotten realms, the original campaign setting of Dungeons&Dragons. If you play RPGs, you might now it from Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights 1&2, Pool of Radiance etc. .
[smartypants mode off]

Your character sounds splendidly colorful. The two versions of him certainly open up a lot of possibilities. And as a truly ancient being, there might be an logic to his actions that just isn't feasible by humans.
If I may be so bold, why did it enrage him in the first place, that suddenly no one required his services anymore?

Was he maybe depended on something the sorcerers gave him, in exchange for his help?
Did he, possibly, realize with the dwindling biddings, his powers weakened as well -
Which wouldn't mean that he is weak now. He just used to be much more powerful.
Just making up a theory,... did i mention i like your character idea? :)

So long!

Shiny

*I thought it was a movie for children. Imagine my surprise. EEK!  :o. Quite powerful visuals, if sometimes a bit icky.

Funfact: I managed to lock myself out of my apartment, in between writing this post.  :P

Mycroft

I'd be interested in submitting a concept. What slots are you the most intent to fill up at this point?
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - George S. Patton

Mycroft

I'm going to go with the human representative. The concept in it's roughest form is sort of a half Howard Hughes, half Alan Quartermain, half Baron Munchausen... making him decidedly larger than life. Despite not necessarily being intimate with the fading magics of this world, his greatest asset is a sense of wonder. An adventurer/explorer by hobby, the capital for his (mis)adventures is gathered from his industrial holdings and mechanical patents.

A talented multi-linguist and student of history mythological and otherwise, he would be something of a pulp style hero with boundless optimisim and strange luck being his key contribution. A teller of tall tales, practical mechanical engineer and charming optimist, he represents the best of mankind's curiousity and zeal for exploration.

Again... that's the rough idea.
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - George S. Patton

ForensicaX

Wow! I love you guys!

Mycroft, Shiny, and Exiled, your characters sounds amazing! Please go ahead and put together a more thorough sketch, to include character strengths and weaknesses, physical appearance, bio, etc.

For myself, I'm thinking of a Dragon, merperson, or Elf. Probably an Elf or dragon though. Still working on what I wish personality and abilities to be. I'm kind of waiting to see if anyone would like to fill those spots before I steal them away.

I don't care WHO or how many joins the merry band, so long as we have a good diversity of characters (racially and personality wise).

At this point, I kind of want a semifinal count. If you will be part of the quest, reply with your fleshed out character bio. After I see who we have, I'll post mine.

Now, we have to discuss how we're going to proceed with this monkey. My experience with multiplayer post-by-post is limited to instant message (skype). However, since some of us are unapproved, obtaining the info required to go to skype would be impossible. Also I understand not everyone uses that. SO. My question is this: How shall we determine order of posting? Whatever makes most sense? Will I determine who goes? Shall we role die? Your opinions, please, my loves.

Mycroft

Name: Saint Baltimore Dominic Bellweather

Race: Human

Appearance:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/813431/armor-belt-boots-bracelet-earrings-fingerless_glov

Background:

It's impossible.

You can't fold a paper more than seven times.

You can't survive the terrific pressures of the deep sea with a wineskin and a duffel bag of rocks.

You can't simply stumble upon the key to the ancient and esoteric at a tobacconist shop in Castor.

Impossible is a lie. Impossible is a challenge.

Few are not acquainted with the exploits of Saint Baltimore, his notoriety as much a burden as a gift. The son of the wealthy industrialist whose steamship company represents the backbone of the ocean fairing merchant trade, despite the ubiquitiousness of the Bellweather name on all manner of transportation and mechanical patents, the name is best known for the antics and stories of the son.

Tall tales of impossible things, he is an explorer of the purest sort, savoring every step of the journey rather than simply looking to the destination. With a life touched by oddity, he is noted for his strange luck. Not necessarily good or bad, the improbable becomes decidedly more likely around him. Survival against harsh odds becomes a sure thing, while a trip to the stationary store can blossom into a horrific and wondrous adventure.

Possessing a fearless sense of wonder, in a "less enlightened" time he might very well have found his place amongst the magi of old. In this world of the tangible, he seems ever eager to test the boundaries, his latent skills applied to the disciplines of steam and exploration.

Canonized as a saint during an extended absence in which he was presumed dead (one of many), his optimism and curiosity are an impenetrable wall against the oppressive banality of this world less wonderful. It's hard to say whether this is entirely true or not mind you. That's just what people say...

You hear that a lot when Saint Baltimore is involved. "That's what people say..."

For instance, it's said that his mother was a tribal woman of one of the unnamed islands of man, and that he was conceived via an arrowhead that first pierced the left most family jewel of his father and embedded itself in the abdomen of his mother.

Nine months later he was born into the savage lands, born under a cosmic event that the natives took to be a sign that he was a much prophecied shaman. No crib could hold Mr. Bellweather Jr., and he would often escape to crawl through the jungles of his homeland, learning the secret languages of the wild world. By the age of three he had joined the hunters of the tribe, shooting arrows with deadly accuracy from atop his perch on the shoulders of older tribes men, falling his first Jungo bird at the age of four.

Precisely what a jungo bird is, is something of a mystery, but in hearing the story told, one can assume this was an impressive and rarely accomplished feat. At the age of six, he knew every inch of the island intimately, down to the smallest blade of grass and poisonous badger, and so he found the fires of wanderlust stoked in his breast for the first time. Lashing together the bones of grand serpents and lumbering behemoths, he fashioned a raft of surprising sea worthiness. It is on loan and can be viewed in the Castor museum of oddities, the structure possessing a number of unexplained properties that make it something of a mysterious marvel of savage engineering.

Washing up after three days at sea on the shore of Kaz, he was introduced there to the military edicts of the seafaring people. With his keen mind and tiny body, he became a steam runner, crawling through the tiny pipes of pressure ships at dry dock. Only there for two weeks, before he negotiated his way out of his contract, he developed a fascination for the vessels that would serve him well over the years of adventure. Accounts begin to vary at this point...

Some say he "borrowed" a Bellweather Shipping Vessel and took it joy riding around the mountainous northern shores of Amaranta, discovering fabled races long thought dead. Others say he joined the Ynndraegard's resource seekers, discovering a precious new mineral on the outskirts of Sud. There are also claims he tethered his vessel of bone to the back of an air whale, riding it through the skies all the way to Fazei before it shook him off. Despite the fact an "Air Whale" has never been catalogued as even existing, the larger part of the population still believes this story to be entirely true and accurate.

What is known for certain of the successive years is that Saint Baltimore has become a creature more legend than flesh, impossibly well known even by those untouched by human society in centuries. He has a strange beginners luck when confronted with tasks that rely on propability more than finesse, can speak to anyone (or thing) with varied fluency and is never entirely a stranger where ever he travels.

His infrequently lived in home rests in the capital of Castor, a cozy three room loft above a tobacconist shoppe in the merchant's area, just north of the steam vessel metroplex. More often he can be found in his extended steam locomotive, riding the railways of the world... even where there are no rails.