What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

It's just occurred to me how much Boris Johnson and Donald Trump look alike. I'm sure people paying more attention noticed the similarity far sooner, though.

Beguile's Mistress

It was remarked on by one or two of the late night talk show hosts and pictures of hair disturbed by the wind were used. ;D

Lilias

Boris was also born in NYC. If he doesn't get to be Prime Minister, he can run for president.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trigon

gaggedLouise

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 30, 2016, 02:24:19 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been any comment on Boris declining to run for the PM spot, though frankly I don't blame him. That's a posioned chalice right now and no mistake.

Indeed it is, but there's been plenty of shocked tories of course. Michael Heseltine, who once instigated the downfall of Mrs. Thatcher, is one:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/76785/lord-heseltine-boris-johnson

Quote“There will be a profound sense of dismay and frankly contempt,” he told BBC Radio 5live. “He's ripped the party apart. He's created the greatest constitutional crisis of modern times. He knocked billions off the value of the nation's savings.

“He's like a general who leads his army to the sound of guns and at the sight of the battlefield abandoned the field. I have never seen so contemptible and irresponsible a situation.”

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

AmberStarfire

Renegade Vile

Quote from: AmberStarfire on July 01, 2016, 02:07:59 PM
This story's amusing:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/im-a-financial-dominatrix/news-story/b733626341346acffecccb04092640f7

Hey, if it's with their consent, they want to spend money on it and they enjoy it, then why not? Stranger things happen.
Still, amusing indeed *chuckles*.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 01, 2016, 02:15:24 PM
Hey, if it's with their consent, they want to spend money on it and they enjoy it, then why not? Stranger things happen.
Still, amusing indeed *chuckles*.

I agree - why not? :D It seems to work well for her and her clients.

Sara Nilsson

Wonder if it is too late to change job, I soo picked the wrong line of work it seems.

Lustful Bride

Al Qaeda threatens retaliations if the US executes the Boston Bomber.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/al-qaeda-leader-warns-of-gravest-consequences-if-boston-bomber-executed/ar-AAhRwS7?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

*in my most mocking tone* Oh no...im sooo scared. ::)  I wonder if they realize they aren't the biggest deal anymore?

Kythia

Fucking hell. Wales.  We'll done.

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 01, 2016, 03:49:39 PM
Al Qaeda threatens retaliations if the US executes the Boston Bomber.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/al-qaeda-leader-warns-of-gravest-consequences-if-boston-bomber-executed/ar-AAhRwS7?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

*in my most mocking tone* Oh no...im sooo scared. ::)  I wonder if they realize they aren't the biggest deal anymore?

The last sentence is rather interesting:

Quote"Legal wrangling over Tsarnaev's fate could play out for years or even decades. Just three of the 74 people sentenced to death in the United States for federal crimes since 1998 have been executed. "

If the US fails to execute him for reasons unrelated to al-whatever's claim( as stated, we don't often do so ) then daesh can claim that they stood up to us and we obeyed their demands out of fear or the force of their islam-magic whatever narrative they wish to assign to the story. Perhaps we should be the ones to make the first move and control the narrative.

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Mother of disabled girl (who was returning from surgery for a brain tumor) suing the TSA after they tackled and beat her daughter to the ground when she panicked when they tried to seach her thoroughly (something on her set off the Metal Detectors. And she sadly couldn't understand them due to being blind in one eye and deaf)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3670403/Lawsuit-Disabled-woman-injured-security-airport.html

*shakes head* No matter what age, the disabled are never treated well. And this is just lethal levels of incompetence from the TSA.

Beguile's Mistress

I once watch TSA agents separate an older couple because the husband had a pacemaker and needed wanded.  They left the wife with all of their bags, jackets, shoes, his cane and a few other items, began rifling through their carry on bags, took bags from the belt and put them about fifty feet away from her and refused to talk to her when she asked what was going on.  They also chastised her because she was taking too long to get their things back together.  It also too them more than 20 minutes to clear the husband through security.

I seriously believe they test people and hire only those who barely pass the intelligence tests.

TheGlyphstone

My father is a commercial pilot, and he has some EPIC rants about the idiocy and incompetence of the TSA.

Lustful Bride

AmberStarfire

Lustful Bride

Cassandra LeMay

Nigel Farage, leader of UKIP (the United Kingdom Independence Party) and one of the main campaigners for the UK's exit from the EU, stands down as leader of his party.

QuoteMr Farage said his "political ambition has been achieved" with the UK having voted to leave the EU.

In other words: "All I ever wanted was to wreck things. I never intended to actually build something better. Let other people deal with the mess I created."

Johnson, now Farage, and if and when Gove loses the Tory leadership race against May he'll probably quit politics too. Soon there'll be no Brexiter left to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 04, 2016, 10:47:33 AM
Nigel Farage, leader of UKIP (the United Kingdom Independence Party) and one of the main campaigners for the UK's exit from the EU, stands down as leader of his party.

In other words: "All I ever wanted was to wreck things. I never intended to actually build something better. Let other people deal with the mess I created."

Johnson, now Farage, and if and when Gove loses the Tory leadership race against May he'll probably quit politics too. Soon there'll be no Brexiter left to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

He said he wanted to step down already after the latest parliamentary elections, when he failed to win a seat in the House of Commons, but since he's the one really high-profile guy in his party, there was a note from their HQ explaining that "he has been persuaded" (talk about a Godfatherly way of putting things!)  :P

He's leaving the door half open for a comeback in a few years time: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/04/nigel-farage-resignation-ukip-leader-brexit (wickedly funny article by celebrities and popular culture writer Marina Hyde)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beguile's Mistress

Formless

Bombings targets a US consulate in Jedda Saudi Arabia. And Another near the Holy Mosque in Medina.

There's reports of a third suicide bombing in another city, but no news outlet confirmed it yet.

Trigon

...And the shitstorm continues. Trump is now anti-Semitic, or so it would seem: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/04/politics/donald-trump-tweet/

TheGlyphstone

Yeah okay, that one is just stupid. Nothing about that ad is actually anti-Semetic. but hey, it's controversy, right? And Trump is the embodiment of 'no such thing as bad publicity'.