What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Brandon

Well I had a surprisingly awesome time tonight. I got invited over for a small party with a big group of friends so I went down, and I brought beer and pizza. We ended up playing a Starship bridge simulator called Artemis over a LAN. It was amazingly fun. Everyone was essentially the officer of a spot on the bridge, including the captain.

7 people in the same room, kind of tipsy from Alchohol, and playing the same starship game was awesome. It  created a seemless experience that I dont think Ive ever gotten in a game

Now that Im home, I think Im going to play some more Super monday night combat!
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

With the tipsyness, it probably made the red alerts even funnier (Why is it that starship bridges never seem to have seatbelts?)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on July 11, 2012, 11:44:34 PM
Well I had a surprisingly awesome time tonight. I got invited over for a small party with a big group of friends so I went down, and I brought beer and pizza. We ended up playing a Starship bridge simulator called Artemis over a LAN. It was amazingly fun. Everyone was essentially the officer of a spot on the bridge, including the captain.

7 people in the same room, kind of tipsy from Alchohol, and playing the same starship game was awesome. It  created a seemless experience that I dont think Ive ever gotten in a game

Now that Im home, I think Im going to play some more Super monday night combat!
Did you get to do the Kirk lounge of authority, or where you another station? :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Got my copy of King of Fighters 13 today. I might as well just give all of my other games away to a good home, since I sure as hell won't be playing any of them until I'm either dead or BALA tier at this game.

Warmed up for it's arrival yesterday with a revisit to KoF 2002:UM since a guy at work found out I was getting back into fighting games and was desperate to get some play time down. It felt good to OCB somebody who hasn't had nearly as much downtime as me, and the fact that I did it by baiting a fireball that would've killed me with chip damage from him and leaping over it with King's Illusion Dance super? Yeah that was just icing on the cake.
You never forget how to ride a bike, and you never forget how to be the greatest King player on the planet*!
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
*I am not the best King player on the planet. Oh how I wish I were the best King player on the planet.

Hemingway

Snake Eater is still fun. It's actually even better on this, my second playthrough. I guess I understand the mechanics of the game better - in addition to having some slightly better camo from having beaten the game ( no stealth camo, just improved versions of ones already in the game ).

As for War of the Lions, I'm ... torn. It's probably the best FF Tactics game in many ways - having a proper story for one thing. My main gripe is the Job system, which ... sucks? I don't mind having to progress through Squire to get to Knight and Knight to get to Monk. But to get to Samurai you need Knight, Monk and Dragoon - and Dragoon requires that you go through Thief, which you get from Archer. So even if you're a dedicated melee fighter, you have to be an archer and a thief at least for a while.

Inkidu

Beat my Spanish game, space race. It was a little too easy, but I didn't feel like capital crashing. Besides, no one could touch me in science (ironically I wasn't really one of those, I was cultural juggernaut, but I was ahead since the late Medieval era).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Hmm. Space Race is the only victory I've ever managed. Normally I stop playing way before the end. I just like the early game better.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on July 12, 2012, 12:37:52 PM
Did you get to do the Kirk lounge of authority, or where you another station? :)

No I was handling navigation. IMO the captain has the most boring job. They dont even get a console, its more like they sit in their chair and give out orders. Asking the other bridge officers to put things on their screen and essentially expecting them to follow orders. So the captain became our three man (or the guy who fetches everyone a drink)

That aside, I have a problem with Super monday night combat, ok well 2 problems. The first is smurf accounts where people who are really experienced with the game make another account purely to destroy people who arent as good or even new to the game. Im only 20 something but it seems really common to have someone just destroy a team getting 30-40 kills in one match.

This comes to my other problem which is I think the game levels you to fast. Ive barely had time to learn the maps and now that the free pro's got switched Im running around with Pro's Ive never played and getting stomped because I just havnt had time to learn them but Im also going up against opponents who know the game a lot better then I do. Ive got the maps down pretty well but there's still a lot to pick up
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

*Sniff sniff*

:'(

Oh, guys..I didn't see you there....I'm just mourning...I mean, everything was so happy with my wallet and I, we were the best of friends...he was always so happy, I never knew....but then I showed him this:

http://store.steampowered.com/

.......We're having the funeral tomorrow.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wolfy on July 12, 2012, 10:14:05 PM
*Sniff sniff*

:'(

Oh, guys..I didn't see you there....I'm just mourning...I mean, everything was so happy with my wallet and I, we were the best of friends...he was always so happy, I never knew....but then I showed him this:

http://store.steampowered.com/

.......We're having the funeral tomorrow.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I wish they'd do another Steam Summer Camp type thing again, like they did last summer, and like the winter thing they had.

Hemingway

I wish I didn't own every game worth owning on Steam already.

Edit: Have I mentioned how much I love being required to protect AI-controlled units? I especially love it when I don't even get to act before whoever I'm supposed to protect dies.

Inkidu

Playing Jedi Outcast has shown me how much modern game design has helped the industry. A little thing like a pointer to help you find which way you're supposed to go is something we take for granted. Now I'm not talking a whole trail, but highlighted pressable objects and a little arrow aren't going to kill anyone.

Hemingway

Speaking of modern games, I've been playing Uncharted on my Vita, and ... It's not a bad game, but man, it's made me think about modern games. It's an adventure game, but where's the adventure? You travel along a linear path, and while the scenery is impressive and the climbing and swinging from ropes and such would be cool, it's made way less interesting by the fact that it takes no skill, and it's basically just another path. It's not like you as a player have to look for paths and time your jumps and grabbing onto things and so on. You just go along and occasionally you jump or climb or drop down or whatever, but it's really no different from walking. It's kind of telling that, if you feel so inclined, you can just trace the path you want to climb on the touch screen, and the game does it for you.

Anyway, the Vita in general is ... interesting. I'm not a fan of touch screens or motion controls in general. In Uncharted, using them is more or less optional, at least for the stuff that matters. But even I have to admit that aiming a sniper by tilting the screen makes for some high-precision aiming. And using the rear touch panel to zoom is an interesting touch ( it has a touch screen and a panel on the back ).

Back to Uncharted. I still feel like getting the PS3 games, but not for the exciting gameplay so much as the adventure experience, hopefully the story, and so on.

Edit: Endless Space needs a better way of determining starting conditions - or at least the option to. Different classes of stars have different types of planets, and if you're lucky enough that your homeworld has a white sun with a good terran / ocean / jungle planet, you get a huge boost in the early game. And heroes matter a lot, too. If you get an administration-centered hero early on, it can provide a huge boost. It makes settling new planets trivial, because you can get the hero in to boost production and so get industry up and running fast - which speeds up further construction.

Heaven Sent Blossom

The console Uncharted games are pretty much the same fare as the Vita version from what I gather of the handheld installment.
Lots of potential for a great adventure romp lost under the weight of excessive action set pieces and clunky shooter mechanics.
The third one is (if you will indulge me an opinion based entirely on 15 minutes of exposure to the game) all the worst things from number two with even less of the steadily decreasing charm of the series to hold it together.

Hemingway

To think, I just bought the first PS3 Uncharted. It's finally available in the PSN Store!

I actually quite like The Golden Abyss. It has a little too much action, but even those parts are fun when they work. Which is to say when you can sneak about and take guards out from a hiding place. It just feels more authentic than gunning them down.

Right now, though, I'm stuck on some atrocious stage where you have to dodge rocks while floating down a river, by using the Vita's motion controls. I hate this kind of crap. I hated when I had to use motion controls in Heavy Rain, I hate it in this game. It's interesting when it's just an optional feature ( it's sort of fun how the steadiness of your gun actually depends on how steadily you're holding your Vita ), but when it's required, and the stage is as difficult as this ( I've died like six times in a row ), it just gets really old really fast.

Edit: Goddamn. Snake Eater is one brilliant game. If it has one flaw, it's that it's mercilessly long. Which, you know, is a good thing, at least the first time you're playing the game. Short games suck. And the quality of the story is consistently high. It's just that, unlike most games, it doesn't reach a climax and end two minutes after that. You reach one peak in the story, but that's not the end. After that comes the real final boss. Except that's not the end, either. After that you have to escape. But that's not the end either! That's when the story - the real story - finally reaches its conclusion. And after that, you get like an hour of cutscenes. And it's all great. But, dammit, I want to finish the game so I can start playing MGS4. Again! I don't want to give up half-way through Snake Eater. It deserves to be played to completion!

My current playthrough has gone slightly faster than my first one - I think. I'm currently at 12 hours. 12 hours! And that's not even a perfectly thorough playthrough.

Edit 2: Speaking of long games, Uncharted: Golden Abyss is longer than I expected, too. Again, not really a problem. Except that it wasn't really a game I felt like playing, I just got it with my Vita. And since I started it, I feel like I have to finish it. Especially considering I do intend to play the other Uncharted games. Because I actually do think it's fun.

Inkidu

Speaking of boredom, I has it! D:

I've played all my games to death. Nothing looks worth paying the money for it.

Hemingway

Yeah, and nothing good is coming for a while still. Well, at least I get to play Uncharted now. And Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.

Heaven Sent Blossom

My fighting game kick continues unabated, I grabbed Ultimate MvC3 today since the store didn't have Street Fighter 4:AE (I missed the steam flash sale so I figured I'd 360 it instead, but alas not to be). I think it's worse than KoF 13 but it certainly has its own little charm--it also has netcode that doesn't make me want to punch a kitten in the throat, which is a bonus.
I know that between this, KoF, VF 5 and SC 5 I'm certainly spreading myself too thin if I really want to get back to being tournament ready, however right now I really don't care because each one of them has brought something outrageously fun to the table. I guess down the line I will have to make the hard choice and cut loose all but one of them, for now though it's all about scrubbing it up and losing more matches than Tim Henman and having an absolute ball while doing it.

So far I've managed to dodge having to open my wallet for the steam sale, however I think that might end with Left 4 Dead 2 at only £3.75.
I might have to really step up my Diablo 3 playing in the hopes that I can make enough money to cover any steam purchases I may make. It's kind of crazy how many £1.25 to £3.00 items you can sell even at sub level 50. Some people clearly have more money than sense.

Inkidu

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on July 14, 2012, 06:43:22 PMIt's kind of crazy how many £1.25 to £3.00 items you can sell even at sub level 50. Some people clearly have more money than sense.
That's been Blizzard's business model and selling point for a long time now.

:D

Hemingway

So, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Better than the Golden Abyss in a lot of ways. Better controls, which is to be expected. Better puzzles ( or maybe I ought to say actual puzzles? ).

My main complaint is that, given the events in Golden Abyss, I assumed the character Marisa Chase would appear in the later games, too. Which apparently she doesn't. And I miss her. She's a far more interesting character than Elena Fisher. I'll give Fisher some time, though.

Edit: One thing that certainly isn't better in Drake's Fortune is combat. I mean, I'm a proud member of the PC Gaming Master Race, so obviously having to use a controller for aiming is beneath me. That's not the main problem, though. The main problem is that on top of bad aiming, enemies can take a whole lot of damage. I'm no doctor, but I think ten AK rounds in the gut would kill most people, or at least slow them down slightly. Drake isn't much tougher than enemies, either. And they're smart! They have an endless supply of grenades which they won't hesitate to use to get you out of the only viable cover you have. The guys with shotguns rush forward and, err, kill you. And the rest have near-perfect aim, even if you're in cover.

Wolfy

So yeah, just got done with the first episode of the Walking Dead Video game by TellTale.

if you're a fan of the show or comics, I'd say pick up the game now while it's on sale at 50% off on steam.

Because it's very nice.

Nazz

Battlefield 3. Nothing like Call of Duty, which makes it great in my book.
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - Ons 'n Offs - - - - - -
- - - Nazz's Storyboard (Requests) - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(( Currently back in college. Stuff's gonna be a lot slower from me! ))

Hemingway

OH GOD WHO DESIGNED THIS.

I speak of course of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. And it's not really a design flaw. It just isn't meant to be played on a Vita, even though it's possible. The problem is that it's a game that requires a lot of awareness of your surroundings. The Vita has two thumbsticks, while the PSP ... doesn't. So if you play Portable Ops on Vita, you can't use one for movement and the other for camera controls. By default, you use the left thumbstick for movement, and the D-pad, for camera controls ... the D-pad being located right above the left thumbstick. That's a problem. A huge problem.

Now, you can set it up to use the, uh, other buttons .. square, triangle, and so on, for either movement or camera. But then you have to use the D-pad for equipment, which is ... it would take some getting used to, to say the least. It also doesn't solve the inherent problem of being unable to operate movement, camera and equipment at the same time. So if, say, you want to do a tactical reload ( done by quickly unequipping and equipping your weapon ), you have to stop, or you risk running blindly around a corner.

This makes me wonder if the game is even worth playing through. The story is barely acknowledged in the other MGS games ( the only mention of it to my knowledge comes in Peace Walker, when Kaz says something like "Now we can put the events at San Hieronymo behind us" and all in all I think it's the weakest entry in the series, a fact even the developers are aware of ).

Oniya

Gah - got caught up in a little mining/construction/exploration game called 'Glean' over at ArmorGames.  Simple concept:  You are a mining robot, stranded in a system of planets.  You have a shuttle craft, and a drill, and the ability to fly short distances (jump/glide).  You have to mine enough resources to a) add systems to your shuttle, and b) upgrade and maintain yourself, while searching for these strange capsules with 'alien artifacts' in them (18 unique items at various depths).  The artifacts let you upgrade your systems even further, and tell the story of a the civilization that left them behind.

Simple, free - and I've lost hours going 'Okay, now I need to go for a big planet with emerald and titanium!'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17