Back by Popular Demand (D&D 3.5 Gestalt)

Started by ulthakptah, February 20, 2011, 08:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Videospirit

I thought that was an ability all creatures with the "outsider" type shared? Unless they were mating with another outsider who wanted them to get pregnant.

Kunoichi

Really?  Can you remember where you heard or read that? ^^; I can believe it would apply to some types of outsiders, but not others...

Videospirit

Book of Erotic Fantasy. It's not actually wotc though so it may be non canon. Anyway it says if two creatures that can choose whether or not they become/get their partner pregnant have different opinions, they make opposed will saves and the one that wins gets their way in the matter.

They don't actually say "All outsiders" but every outsider they do list in the book and all of the fey as well have that ability.

Xillen

Ult> You're still looking for people to fill a certain niche? Nikki said some niches were lacking, I think.

Kunoichi

Actually, I think we've got most of our bases pretty well-covered, all things considered.  Our Psion//Factotum is covering the arcane role pretty nicely, and can cover for just about any other area in a pinch, the Ranger//Cleric has healing and archery covered, I've got the 'Face' role pretty much covered and can act as stealth and debuffing when needed, and then the remaining three characters have both front-line and assorted skill-based roles pretty well handled, including Trapfinding and Scouting.

On tope of that, my Cohort is contributing Inspire Courage bonuses to the party, and Ershin's Thrall is probably going to be pretty useful as well.  Overall, I'd say we're good on party roles.

Of course, what that really means is that anyone taking the final slot is free to play whatever they please...

Xillen

I think Ult already had enough people with "general interest". I'm happy to work out a character sheet, though, if I'm wrong about that.

ReijiTabibito

Dear Ulthie,

There is talk in the flavor text of the Swordsage class of the Tome of Battle of a possible unarmed swordsage variant.  This variant drops the Light Armor Proficiency of the Swordsage for the Unarmed Attack Progression (and just that) of the Monk.

Would this trade off be acceptable?  I only ask because it is an alternative, I still have a character if you say no.

Also, the feat Intuitive Strike in Book of Exalted Deeds requires GM permission to take....

Yours Truly,

ReijiTabibito, player of Treguard Dunshelm, Swordsage and Cleric of Fharlanghn

Kunoichi

More specifically, Intuitive Attack is an Exalted feat, and those require DM permission to take when not granted by something like Vow of Poverty, at least according to the BoED.

It's basically the melee version of Zen Archery, though, so it certainly wouldn't be overpowered...

Videospirit

Swordsage losing light armor proficiency would be amusing since they only get wis to AC while wearing light armour.

ReijiTabibito

True.  But a variant of the Cleric, called the Cloistered, gets Light Armor Proficiency.

For reference, the Cloistered Cleric gets a bit more in the ways of knowledge in exchange for martial proficiency.  Cloistereds only get Light Armor and Simple Weapon Proficiency, but they all get the Knowledge Domain, regardless of Deity, and they also get the Lore ability, which is like Bardic Knowledge, except using the Cleric level instead of Bard level.

Kunoichi

And of course, the Unarmed Swordsage only loses its armor proficiency, meaning that it still is able to use all Simple and Martial melee weapons...

ReijiTabibito

Also, for some reason, Swordsages don't get Spot as a Class skill, despite the fact that they get Listen, and every class I can think of that gets Listen also gets Spot as a Class Skill...it's sort of like giving the Scout class the Trapfinding ability but not giving them Disable Device.

NicciKotor

Hey now, I got intuitive strike, so it is all well and good.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

ulthakptah

You're asking if you could trade a class feature for a different class feature, so you could get back the same class feature with the other side of your gestalt? No that isn't okay. I would allow the exalted feat if you qualify for it. However there is six players already, two of which have followers. Every combat is already going to be a large skirmish. I don't think I want another player. The game is already started, as soon as Ershin posts shits going down, and I don't want to wait any longer.

Kunoichi

...That's kind of an intrinsic part of the gestalt rules, though, isn't it?  Every class has its benefits and drawbacks, and you can use one side's benefits to make up for the other side's drawbacks, like combining Fighter and Rogue for good skill points, BAB, Reflex and Fortitude Save, or combining Monk and Wizard and tossing on the Kung Fu Genius feat to make the Monk class features Int-based, and get all sorts of crazy benefits...

Or Monk and Druid, for that matter.  Toss on Intuitive Attack and you basically get a completely Wisdom-dependent build.

ulthakptah

Yes every class does have it's benefits and drawbacks, but you don't get to pick and choose them. He was asking to trade a benefit key to how one of the classes worked for a different benefit, and this wouldn't affect him at all because he would just get it back with just about any other class. Monk's unarmed strike > light armor proficiency.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  In that case, I take it you'd be alright with him getting the Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike feats because he has to pay the opportunity cost of two feat slots in exchange for something that's still weaker than the Unarmed Strike of a Monk of the same level?

ulthakptah

Xillen

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 24, 2011, 06:27:59 PMAlso, for some reason, Swordsages don't get Spot as a Class skill, despite the fact that they get Listen, and every class I can think of that gets Listen also gets Spot as a Class Skill...

Check the very first class listed in the regular PHB:

The barbarian’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Quote from: ulthakptah on February 24, 2011, 06:41:11 PMHowever there is six players already, two of which have followers. Every combat is already going to be a large skirmish. I don't think I want another player.

If that was aimed at me, no worries. I have a decent amount of games already, and I was only offering my services to fill a specific niche that you might require. Good luck with your game. :-)

Kunoichi

Hooray, Reiji finished his character just in time. ^^

I guess he'll probably have to delete it if it isn't approved, though...