Good games for a crap laptop

Started by Sabby, April 23, 2011, 03:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Hey everyone, I have an Acer Aspire 1. I can run Deus Ex with a tiny bit of lag on the bigger levels... I've also done Jurassic Park: Trespasser without much trouble. I tried Googling a list of good games for weak PC's, but all the lists consider a 'weak PC' to be something that can run Guild Wars :/

I really don't mind what I get at this point, I am so bored I've been scouring Indy websites but even the Indy games are too powerful for me.

HairyHeretic

You might want to list processor, ram and graphics for us. Without those, it'd be hard to make any suggestions.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

You should check out the website Abandonia, which is all abandonware and free to download. Or GOG if you feel like paying.

Sabby

Its an Acer Aspire One. I don't know what its specs are, but I don't see how it helps being that specific, when my target is so low :/ Its very weak, so honestly, the less demanding the better.

HairyHeretic

Ok, how about say, UFO, or XCOM: Terror From the Deep.

I played UFO back when I was at uni, and still break it out for a blast every now and then.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

Its a fiver for each game, or 15 for the bundle.

Play This Game: X-Com: UFO Defense

XCOM: UFO Defense is the original, TFTD is the sequel. Same basic gameplay, but set underwater (and with bigger maps).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sabby

Will look into pretty much everything people post ^^ I know I'm not providing much info here, so I appreciate any input and the patience that goes with it.

Jefepato

I've heard Torchlight runs with low requirements, but I haven't tried it myself.

Yorubi

Hmm cave story? Hehe it was pretty fun!

Samidare is crazy if you like those spaceship shooter things. I can't play it (much to hard for me XP ) but I'll admit that I have an odd addiction to a few songs on there if I'm in a techno mood, specially the extra stage final boss.Samidare - Broken Strawberry ShortCake (Theme of VIVIT)

Hemingway

X-Com is definitely a great game. It's also incredibly complex, so I'd recommend http://www.ufopaedia.org/ for some information. You're going to have an incredibly hard time figuring out the finer points of the game without reading about it somewhere. Not that the learning curve is incredibly steep or anything like that, and it's definitely worth it.

Also Hairy forgot to mention that Terror from the Deep is infinitely more difficult than the original. Do not be deceived by the identical graphics and gameplay.

Jude

Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics (despite tactics being non-canonical).

Wyrd

If you want, you can go get an emulator at a site called COOLRoms.com and from there you can pretty much play any game from Super Nintendo all the way to PS2 and gamecube to your hearts desires. I'm playin Conkers Bad Fur day and Golden Eye.
Ragtime Dandies!

Sel Nar

Tactics is considered partially canon, actually (yes, there was a BoS detachment to Chicago, no, nobody knows what happened to them).

Consider Freelancer; came out in 2000, so if the comp is younger than that it should do nicely.

Oniya

You could go ultra-indy:

http://www.armorgames.com - loads of surprisingly good and addictive games of virtually every genre
http://www.miniclip.com - Again, everything from puzzles to shooters.  Gives me the impression of fewer games than armorgames, but only in the fact that all of them can be listed on one page.

If the Acer is stock out of the box, it looks like you're dealing with

Processor     Intel Atom N450 / 1.66 GHz
64-bit Computing    Yes
Features    Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel 64 Technology
Chipset Type    Intel NM10 Express
Cache Memory   L2 cache
Installed Size    512 KB
RAM     1 GB / 2 GB (max)
Technology    DDR2 SDRAM - 667 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance    PC2-5300
Form Factor    SO DIMM 200-pin
Configuration Features    1 x 1 GB
Storage Controller   Serial ATA
Serial ATA Interface    Serial ATA-150
Hard Drive    160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
Supported Flash Memory Cards    SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard
Display Type    10.1" TFT
LCD Backlight Technology    LED backlight
Max Resolution    1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
Widescreen Display    Yes
Color Support    16.7 million colors
Graphics Processor / Vendor    Intel GMA 3150 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

*just stares blankly at the wall of text*

Oniya

Got the info off of one of the electronics sites.  I left it more for those people who were asking what the requirement cap was.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jude

You basically have a netbook/nettop, not quiiite a laptop.  To give you an idea of your computer's processing power, I don't think it will be able to run much (if anything) released in the last 5 years.  Past that, you may be able to run a few things at low specs, but at least your GPU supports Pixel Shader 2.0 and Direct x 9.0c.  Your RAM is OK too, it should be sufficient for running 5 year old products that weren't very high end back then.  I'm thinking you can probably run software that is well-optimized for xbox (original) level graphics.  Or to give you a game specific example, get TES3: Morrowind!  It should run nicely for you, but Oblivion probably exceeds what your processor can handle.  I think you could do Knights of the Old Republic too.  Possibly Portal (the original).

As always, there's Popcap games like Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, and Peggle.  On lowest settings your computer may be able to run Defense Grid:  The Awakening (awesome tower defense game), as it exceeds the requirements in every area but CPU (where it is about 10% too slow in theory -- but I think it's worth a test).

EDIT: I can verify that torchlight will run on it and is worth your time.  It's also on sale at several sites such as D2D for $5.08, which is a lot cheaper than what it usually costs (15ish).  Keep in mind however, that the Xbox 360 version is probably the best (because you can use a controller; clicking to do everything gets tedious fast, because this includes movement/attacking) version of Torchlight, and that unless you buy it from anywhere but steam for PC, you won't be able to activate it on steam for the extra features steam offers.

EDIT2:  Humble Frozenbyte Bundle.  Get it.  You may not be able to run any of the games it has, but it's worth trying to at least (Trine will be a close shave).  If nothing else, you can add the games to your Steam account in case you ever get a better computer.  You can get it very cheaply (1 cent) or be nice and donate a bit to charity.  I encourage everyone on this post to get it if they haven't already:  http://www.humblebundle.com/

Geeklet

Quote from: Jude on April 23, 2011, 12:08:48 PM
EDIT: I can verify that torchlight will run on it and is worth your time.  It's also on sale at several sites such as D2D for $5.08, which is a lot cheaper than what it usually costs (15ish).  Keep in mind however, that the Xbox 360 version is probably the best (because you can use a controller; clicking to do everything gets tedious fast, because this includes movement/attacking) version of Torchlight, and that unless you buy it from anywhere but steam for PC, you won't be able to activate it on steam for the extra features steam offers.

I have to disagree with the xbox version being the best. Granted, I only played the demo version on Xbox, but I felt it was a bit lacking compared to the PC release. I personally had a more enjoyable time on the PC version, but that may just be my personal preference.

I will say however, that to the original poster, I will add a third recommendation to get Torchlight. There is a demo, so you can try it out and make sure it runs/make sure you like it before you actually spend money.

Le RandomBloke

If you have an internet connection for said craptop, I suggest Ace of Spades

http://www.ace-spades.com/

It might not be for everyone, but it certainly is fun and ehh.. not exactly demanding graphic wise.. at all.

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."