Warhammer 40k: Black Crusade

Started by Life on Mars, September 10, 2014, 09:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Alright, it's time for an ultimatum. Every day we don't start playing, I will donate one of these kittens to a loving home instead of sacrificing it to the Dark Gods....

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 15, 2014, 11:18:11 AM
You can totally have non human minions. The way the rules are set up they could be annoying, with GM permission. Only problem is that lesser minions tend to be weak, usually better as minor servants rather than things truly scary. You could try rolling his/her stats to get a weaker than average Dark Elder, like in Tomb of Excess describes.

It'd still be fun to have. Not sure how I could add one to my character at the moment though.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Life on Mars

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 15, 2014, 12:20:22 PM
It'd still be fun to have. Not sure how I could add one to my character at the moment though.

Probably would have to take the Talent later on. Could be a "gift" from some force in the Screaming Vortex due to your infamy.

And I'll start getting the OOC thread ready in the proper section. Good to get all the characters sheets in one place = ). Soon the chaos will BEGIN

deadmanshand

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 15, 2014, 11:18:11 AM
That neat, but it looks like the Book of Excess upgrades are considered separate items instead of just raising the Availability of the weapon they are put on, Pain Vents being an Extremely Rare item on their own. Given the choice I would just drop noxious discharge and pain vents. Not being able to see every round would get annoying real fast, I think.

Seriously? Give additional Upgrades in other books and make them follow different rules? That blows. I really liked the idea of it expelling smoke and screams with every blast. Ah well... let's forget the noxious discharge and pain vents then.

Oh and I forgot to ask if it's cool if I make Corpsefire his Psyfocus?

TheGlyphstone

Incidentally, DMH,  the book says Unaligned advances do not have an alignment, so you don't need to track them. Only Aligned advances to one of the 4 are important.

deadmanshand

That one I know. It was more for me keeping track than anything. So when I have to determine alignment I don't have to look through all of my advances again. All the bookkeeping will already be done.

Terian

I still hold out hope I might squeeze in somewhere :(

Jaded

I like that idea of the skeleton being her aunt. :-)  Thanks.

Below should be the final version of my character sheet.

Character
Castilla Vern
Human Apostate ex-Adepta Sororitas

Wounds: 14
Corruption: 0
WS:  50 (5)    BS:  22 (2)
S:   40 (4)    T:   40 (4)
AG:  50 (5)    Int: 32 (3)
Per: 21 (2)    WP:  21 (2)
Fel: 55 (5)    Inf: 26

Pride: Beauty     Disgrace: Deceit     Motivation: Perfection
Full: 10     Half: 5     Charge: 15     Run: 30

SKILLS
Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Awareness, Charm, Command, Commerce, Deceive +10
Dodge, Inquiry +10, Stealth

Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed)
Scholastic Lore (Chymistry, Imperial Creed, Tactica Imperialis)
Forbidden Lore (Daemonology, Heresy, the Inquisition)

Trade (Chymist)

TALENTS
Air of Authority: Command Skill Tests may affect targets fellowship bonus * 10
Hatred (Inquisition): +10 Weapon skill tests to fight, difficult to back down.
Lesser Minion of Chaos:  Gain a lesser minion
Peer (Ecclesiarchy): +10 fellowship bonus when interacting with.
Polyglot: Untrained skill tests with Linguistics Skill.
Radiant Presence: Everyone within 20 meters gain +10 to willpower to resist fear or intimidation
Total Recall: Automatically remember trivial facts or information
Unarmed Warrior: 1d10, Primitive (7) unarmed attacks.  Always counts as armed.
Unshakeable Will: Reroll any failed willpower test to avoid effects of fear.
Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Power)

TRAITS
The Quick and the Dead
Serpent's Tongue

GEAR
Good-Craftsmanship Laspistol
     30m, S/2/-, 1d10+2 E, 0 Pen, 30 Clip, Half Rld
     Reliable
Power Blade
     1d10+3 E (+ S), 5 Pen
     Power Field
Power Fist
     2d10 E (+ Sx2), 8 Pen
     Power Field, Unwieldy

Light Power Armour
     7 AP, +10 S
     Sub-Systems
          Auto-senses: Dark Sight, Heightened Senses (+10)
                       Immune to photon flash and stun grenades
          Osmotic Gill Life Sustainer: Environmentally sealed
          Sustainable Power Source: Does not need to be recharged
     Customization
          Chain Loinguard: Critical Effect to legs is reduced by 2
          At 2014-09-13 20:39:29, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 1d10 Result: 7

Flak Armour OR Mesh Armour
Chaos Symbol Pendant
Unholy Tomes
2 Laspistol Clips

250 for Unarmed Warrior
250 for Weapon Training (Power)
250 for +Agility
250 for +Weapon Skill

Slaanesh: 0
Khorne:   1
Tzeentch: 0
Nurgle:   0

Infamy Roll: At 2014-09-15 19:26:07, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 1d5 Result: 3
Wounds Roll: At 2014-09-15 19:26:27, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 1d5 Result: 5

Castilla was born to a noble family on a minor hive world, both only notable for their corruption.  She was still a baby, a scant two years of age, when the patriarch of her family (and unknown to her, her father) snapped.  Over a single bloody night he tortured, killed, and mutilated the bulk of his extended family.  When the sun finally rose, a dozen people lay dead and only Castilla and her mother (also, technically her aunt) Cirine still lived. 

A cultist, Cirine knew full well that unwanted attention would soon fall on her.  She sent Castilla to study with the Adepta Sororitas, hoping to alleviate suspicion, and went into hiding.  Castilla’s next fifteen years were spent in study, of the Imperial Creed, the Emperor’s Glory, and how to properly serve him. 

Always a bit vain, Castilla was fascinated with two things.  Her own beauty, and her ability in combat.  From the age of eighteen to twenty she served in a campaign against a Chaos threat, under the leadership of an Inquisitor.  She revelled in the combat, but was horrified at what she saw happen to others.  Disfigurement, death.  She wanted to face neither but saw no alternative.

It was near the end of the campaign that Castilla was called before the Inquisitor.  A gift had arrived from her mother, a power blade bearing her family’s crest, a blade that had been passed down for generations before being used in the slaughter of her family.  A blade last seen in the possession of a known witch.  Castilla was sentenced, without a trial or chance to protest the charges, to death for heresy. 

The battle was brief but bloody.  Two sisters lay dead, the inquisitor injured.  Castilla was shattered, her place in the world gone.  As she journeyed, she began to study the truth behind it all.  She gathered texts.  She learned of Khorne’s role as god of honour and martial pride, of Slaanesh’s role as the god of perfection, Nurgle’s role as god of rebirth, and Tzeentch’s role as god of knowledge.  She realized that everything she had ever been told was a lie.  She set out in search of perfection, immortality, and a desire to experience more than the narrow world she had been exposed to. 

Armour
No Armour

Minion
Cirine Vern
Lesser Minion ex-Cultist of Slaanesh
Mechanical Skeleton

Wounds: 2
WS:  29 (2)    BS:  18 (2)
S:   20 (2)    T:   18 (1)
AG:  24 (2)    Int: 20 (2)
Per: 32 (3)    WP:  21 (2)
Fel: 27 (2)    Loy: 55

Full: 4     Half: 2     Charge: 6     Run: 12

Natural Armour (4)
Machine (2)
Sturdy

Awareness, Dodge, Scrutiny

Ambidextrous, Combat Sense, Heightened Senses (Sight), Weapon Training (Power, Flame)

Hand Flamer, Flak Armour

Cirine is all that is left of Castilla's aunt.  Cirine is now a scorched, but reinforced, skeleton covered in mechanical parts and armoured plating.  Various decorations have been worked into her bones and armour out of gold and other materials, symbols of chaos, blasphemous decorations, and similar.  These are usually covered by the armour it wears, but any viewer from the Empire who saw it 'naked' would certainly be shocked.

The machine has a rudimentary intelligence, enough to follow basic orders and protect Castilla's armour when she is away.  A visual match is required for anyone to approach without being attacked, and a password is required to release the armour.

Castilla acquired the skeleton when she returned to her homeworld.  She managed to track down her aunt, too late to save her, just in time to watch her being burnt alive.  She ambushed those sent to dispose of the bones and stole them, wanting to give them a proper burial.  Instead she was forced to flee offworld, the bones still in her possession.  She briefly fell in with a group of cultists who, through honeyed words, managed to convince Castilla that the bones would be honoured far better by being resurrected as a mechanical horror.  It is, they argued, what Cirine would have wanted. 

ChaoticSky

Crunch is done on my sheet, just fluff and my minion left ^^

TheGlyphstone

Proposal for the improved-quality Mimic Mask....in addition to its stated mechanical benefits, could it look more 'real' and less artificial? A common or poor-grade mask would be an obviously fake mask strapped to a character's face, but a Good-quality mask could look like a natural face at a casual glance, while a Best-Quality mask could be so realistic as to be indistinguishable without close examination?

Life on Mars

Hmmm, not sure that works with the fluff for it's origins as there culture seems to be around wearing the masks. I've been thinking it over myself, reading how weapons handle it, and was thinking lowering the WP test by 5 for good would be more appropriate.

TheGlyphstone

That's fine, though in that case I'd like to be able to do something like apply mundane disguise materials to the mask to make it look less artificial, so I don't stand out quite so much.

What would a (-5) test be called? Slightly Inconvenient?

HairyHeretic

Wearing a mask could be seen as the sort of affection a noble might have.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, but looking like a noble might not always be to my benefit.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 17, 2014, 06:19:38 PM
Yeah, but looking like a noble might not always be to my benefit.
then make it look like your wearing someone else's face :P thats always popular.

Life on Mars

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 16, 2014, 07:46:04 PM
That's fine, though in that case I'd like to be able to do something like apply mundane disguise materials to the mask to make it look less artificial, so I don't stand out quite so much.

What would a (-5) test be called? Slightly Inconvenient?
"Slightly Inconvenient" until a test is failed by 5, then it's the worst ever. xD

Have you looked at how Chaos worshipers look? Just throw some spikes and maybe a severed hand or two and you'll practically be indistinguishable.  Seriously though I don't see that working. Reading the lore about the mask and the city it comes from reads that the masks are designed to be seen as masks and not to appear as their real face. Also the mask's power comes from it's ability to shift slightly in ways that "give greater meaning to hand gestures and body language" so applying disguises to it would hinder it's power.

Are there any questions before I start everything up? I'm about to go and create the ooc thread and everything.

TheGlyphstone

I'm not concerned about how I look to other Chaos worshippers. I'm worried about when I have to go amongst/infiltrate the Imperials, at which point spikes and severed hands are rather counterproductive.

As for disguising the mask - I'm not sure how, say, applying a coat of flesh-colored dye to the surface would impede its function. That's the extent of disguise I'm after, just enough so I'm not any more blatantly 'weird' than I have to be.

Life on Mars

Well maybe it wouldn't be wise to bring it to infiltration? Sounds like a great tool for working with chaos but not every tool is right for every job. Plus the mask is a mask so even flesh-colored dye would look odd when the mouth doesn't move when you talk. You might be able to forge something though, in-game, as part of the plot that can aid you in that endeavor.

I created the OOC thread for everyone to post their sheets so now we can have them all together in one place. Once all the sheets are posted we can also use it for OOC discussion. I've spent the past day or so looking over back-stories and making some tie-ins for the plot, so hopefully everyone will like them.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=213855.0

TheGlyphstone

But but but...+20 to Deceive!!! ;D

Like I said, I wouldn't expect "indistinguishable from a face" for anything less than a Best-Craftsmanship version. I was just after something of appropriate color that people I pass on the street wouldn't see anything odd about my face unless already specifically paying attention to me.

Posting over in OOC now.

Life on Mars

Hmm, it's hard to say. Really depends on what planet it is, how the locals dress, local customs ect. We will have to see what kind of schemes you guys develop as the plot goes on.

TheGlyphstone

I'll wear a pair of pink rabbit ears if it means our game starts soon.

Life on Mars

Well I don't see any reason I can't get everything started tomorrow (er, today I suppose considering it's 2am over here). Finally have a day off so I can sit back and focus on fun things like these. And don't think you're the only one excited, reading the Tomes has given me all SORTS of ideas  >:)