News:

Main Menu

R.O.U.S.

Started by HairyHeretic, September 10, 2009, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

BBC - Earth News - Giant rat found in 'lost volcano'

QuoteA new species of giant rat has been discovered deep in the jungle of Papua New Guinea.

The rat, which has no fear of humans, measures 82cm long, placing it among the largest species of rat known anywhere in the world.

The creature, which has not yet been formally described, was discovered by an expedition team filming the BBC programme Lost Land of the Volcano.

It is one of a number of exotic animals found by the expedition team.

Like the other exotic species, the rat is believed to live within the Mount Bosavi crater, and nowhere else.

"This is one of the world's largest rats. It is a true rat, the same kind you find in the city sewers," says Dr Kristofer Helgen, a mammalogist based at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History who accompanied the BBC expedition team.

Ok, so giant rats aren't everyones idea of cute, but I like it :) The video in the BBC link shows the rat completely at its ease with the camera crew ... no fear whatsoever.

So far it's just called the Bosavi wooly rat, after where it's been found, but I think Rattus Goldmanus makes a decent name for it. It is a Rodent Of Unusual Size, after all :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ket

Awwwwww he's so cutes.  And docile.

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

The Overlord

Unbelievable, they were petting it and everything.

Nimmy

Awww cute!

The only thing slightly creepy about it is the fact that it's about the size of a human thigh. Other than that, it's an amazing discovery.

OldSchoolGamer

Yeah, they're all cute and furry and cuddly until they bite your hand off and acquire the taste of human flesh...  ;D

HairyHeretic

Well, if it is anything like mine it will much prefer beans on toast to human flesh :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Oniya

Quote from: Nimeneth on September 11, 2009, 09:42:52 AM
Awww cute!

The only thing slightly creepy about it is the fact that it's about the size of a human thigh. Other than that, it's an amazing discovery.

So, still smaller than the capybara. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nimmy

The capybara doesn't actually look like a rat. I'm fine with most rodents... just I have a (conditioned) dislike of rats in particular. Naked tails on otherwise furry creatures are kinda freaky...

Oniya

So a naked mole rat would be okay?  Just kidding.  Actually, I was more curious about whether this R.O.U.S had broken any size records for rodents in general.  (I kept getting interrupted watching the video.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

For rodents, no, as the capybara has already been mentioned. For 'true' rats though, yes, is my understanding.

Cattle die, kinsmen die