Erotic Fantasy RP (interest check)

Started by Mystic Mika, July 31, 2010, 04:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

I'm sure there's still room at this point.  And I'd like to add a couple of stipulations:
1) This won't be a 'taking all comers' game.  Here at Elliquiy, we don't exclude anyone for being different, but I'd rather be choosy about picking people with similar play styles.
2) Chloe-- true, but I expect those moments to be less common.  I don't expect people to just fill their post with verbiage, but I hope they'd see every post as an opportunity to enhance the game through some detailed description or internal monologue.  In some cases, 100 words would be utterly superfluous, but I'd like that to be the basic guideline... maybe between 50-100 is more reasonable, but it's still not huge.

This is kind of important for me... Some people feel self-conscious writing a great deal of sensory detail about their character.  It's as if they believe self-description is narcissistic.  Ordinarily, I'm sure it might seem that way, but I hope that we can suspend that attitude for this game-- at least for now.  I'd prefer the players to approach each scene as their opportunity to contribute to a vivid scene, and to assume that, yes, people -are- paying attention, maybe even studying, your character.

Mystic Mika

For everyone interested, I was not able to deal with changing schedules at work to run a game with you all, but Ixy has graciously voluteered so please, if you are still interested post here and let her know.

With that said, on behalf of everyone interested, what are you looking for specificly when choosing who you would want to participate in your game, so that we can either cope with the rules or pass. I am very interested in seeing how this game develops so please keep us posted.

The difference between saving the world and blowing it up is all in the toss of the dice.

TheVillain

just hoping in to say interested if the PC's aren't too far unbalanced in the guy to girl ratio toward guys.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Silverfyre

I am still quite interested in this game.  I have no problem with the guidelines you have posted and have experience playing and running this type of game, so I can help offer suggestions or whatever you need me to do.  I'd rather remain a player though, as I need a break from DMing.  Heh.

Thanks go out to Ixy for offering to run this by the way.

Rune

It depends a lot on what the plot will be.

It looks like the girls will outnumber the guys.

I can play either side of the fence.

TheVillain

Alright, so-

Do we put up character ideas now?

Edit:- Just so we're clear. ;P
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Rune

I ll will hold off depending on the ratio. Perhaps a human soldier, partially retired from the king's army.

Or perhaps a mage who has been cursed with a belt of feminity.

Or maybe just a female sorceress who is is down on her luck.

Ixy

Okay then... I'm looking for 3-6 players who are willing to write characters with unique, well-developed personalities.

If you're interested in playing, please read the background below and post the following:

Name:
Concept in a sentence:
Brief background (or more, if you like):
Personality and Description:
Portrait: (please edit/resize to about 200 pixels tall.  For ambiance, please refrain from anime pics.  Stuck?  Try drakonis)

Background and character build rules:
Setting: Please decide how your character came to be in New Hadrius-- a colony of Hadrius in the recently discovered Smoke Lands continent.  Your character will be in the colony's city of Fort Quinza.  The nation of Hadrius is in a tenuous stalemate with its rivals for the resources in this 'new world,' but so far the pickings are slim. 

The intrepid explorers who first managed to find a route across the storm-prone, kraken-filled, and huge Quazo ocean to New Hadrius found that the coasts of "The Smoke Lands" were impossible to land; its coast seemed uniformly composed of constantly shifting volcanic rock, the evaporation bringing constant rain, the fissures spewing sulfurous smoke, and the porous black cliffs bubbling and crumbling as fast as they formed.  But other undersea islands provided stepping stones, and although the total trip is a total of about 5,000 miles across the ocean from Hadrius, enough islands have been populated and subjugated en route to make colonization feasible. 

One hundred years ago, an intrepid explorer named Quinza set out from the Hadrius colony of Gomma and sailed the coast south with three ships-- after two ships were lost (one smashed on the rocks, one incinerated by ignited volcanic gasses), the crew managed to reach inhabitable land and, finally, plant the flag of Hadrius on the black sands of this land.  Thick with swamps and marshes, riddled with emerged sea-caves and tar-pits, the land is home to volcanic hot springs, inland lakes, and tropical jungles.  It is hot there all year, the storm season has seen up to three hurricanes a year, and the land is much too harsh for many breeds of livestock.... but in this age of tenuous empires, Fort Quinza is a gem; strategically located on the rim of a cape, this fort enables utter control of the inland salt-water rivers that, one day, may be the main shipping line for resources claimed in this wild land. 

Currently, there is little industry in Quinza.  Oil is processed and shipped from there, but at the cost, this flammable pitch is barely worth investing in.  Exotic birds fetch a great deal of fashionable interest, as do the pelts of jungle mammals and reptiles.  The black sand, strange shells, and obsidian of its beaches makes for curiosities for wealthy main-landers.  Rice plantations exist near the rare freshwater lakes.  The ports are solid enough for fishermen.  But the most attention comes from a single diamond mine-- surely, with all the volcanic activity there must be more, and every gem mined is shipped back to Hadrius for a dangerous route fraught with piracy and natural danger. Settlers have been rumored to disappear without a trace, as if the jungle itself had swallowed them.  Living and dead samples of primitive native species have been recovered; these include: kobolds, goblins, trolls, jungle giants, and a halfling tribe calling itself the 'Kik-Tez'.  So far, no unified contingent of these latter have been found, with only a few 'Kik-Tez' who seem more fascinated by their captors' study than upset at having been taken from their people.  Explorers have reported seeing elves, halflings, and giants in the jungle, but these claims remain to be proven.

Your character lives or near the small city.  You might be a slave, a missionary, a mercenary, a hired thug, an explorer, a recluse, a convict, a reluctant son or daughter, a desperate business owner, a royal dispatch, or even one of the rare natives.

Starting level: 3, 24 point buy.  You can take a LA-1 character at a 20 point buy with approval.

Starting gold: 3000, with no more than 2 magic items per person.

Magic items house-rule: No wands, and any item must have a back-story explaining how your character came to possess it.

Classes allowed: Core classes, BoEF or GUCK, or Pathfinder classes... others by select approval.  If you want to be almost assured approval, provide me a link to the rule in an SRD.

Deities allowed: Any, with approval.  We'll make it up as we go if you can't find one that suits.

BoEF and GUCK: You may start with Four skill points and two feats from these works for free.  You receive 2 more skill points and one free bonus feat from them each level.  If you don't care for these books and don't plan on using those stats, you are not obligated to choose these skills or feats, and we'll try to provide them for you if the need should arise (which it probably won't).

Appearance:  We're not using the Appearance score feature, but you get some appearance buffs for free.  Please carefully describe how your character looks and bear in mind that, depending on the circumstances, you may receive a bonus to Intimidate, Bluff, Gather Information, Diplomacy, Hide, or Seduction.  You can choose to be more than one with less buff-- maybe you're 'sort of sexy', 'moderately plain, 'sort of scary', 'quite regal'...  Appearance isn't really that important anyway, I assure you, but bear in mind, being extremely attractive might bring you unwanted attention, too ;)

The plot will involve sexual elements, so if you see how something's going and you don't like it, let me know.

Skills houserule 1: Pathfinder got it better than 3.5... if you are 'trained' in a skill (meaning you have any rank in it), you get a +2 bonus on it immediately. 

Skills houserule 2: Another blessing from Pathfinder-- Move Silently and Hide are now 1 skill: Stealth.

That's all I can think of so far... ask away, criticize away, or say what you like, because we're getting started between Wednesday, 8/11 and Friday, 8/13, depending on the pace and quality of replies.

Silverfyre

I definitely want in on  this, but work has me on call til Monday.  If I can reserve a spot, I promise to have that character synopsis posted by Monday evening.

Thanks! I'm really excited about this game possibility.

Chloe Milev

So, are we actually using Pathfinder, or 3.5 with some Pathfinder inspiration?  Because trained class skills get a +3 bonus, and there are several more skills that were streamlined/combined:  Acrobatics, Perception, Spellcraft, Lingustics, etc...

Anyway, my first thought is a Paladin who will enter the Dominatrix class from BoEF.  Be a good industrious worker, or I'll MAKE you...
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Ixy

Perception is far better than Listen, Spot, and Search.  Linguistics kind of goes without saying... I'll listen to cases for the other ones.

Rune

Great, now you guys are making me want to get a copy of BoEF!

Is it worth the money to get the pdf?

Chloe Milev

I don't know, I'm a Buccaneer-American when it comes to the BoEF...

I very much like using all of Pathfinder, not just some elements.  Here are changes to skills, with the Pathfinder skill, and the 3.5 skills put into it.

Acrobatics:  Balance, Tumble, Jump
Diplomacy:  Diplomacy, Gather information
Disable Device:  Disable device, Open lock
Fly:  New skill, make checks for maneuverability, like Swimming in rough waters.
Linguistics:  Decipher script, Forgery, Speak language
Perception:  Listen, Search, Spot (and opens it up to other senses like touch, taste, and smell)
Spellcraft:  Spellcraft, Concentration (at least for casting defensively), crafting most magic items
Stealth:  Hide, Move silently
No more Use Rope, because really, Use Rope?

Also, all skills cost one skill point, whether they're a class skill or not.  If they're in your class, then you get a +3 bonus for training it.  Since there's no extra cost, you don't get quadruple points at first level, your max ranks equals your level/HD.  (Because of this, translating a 3.5 prestige class usually means lowering the skill rank prerequisite from 8 to 5, or something like that.)  And your favored class can either get +1 HP or +1 skill point per level.

Hmmm, Paladin dominatrix sounds fun, but some ranger-type good with forests and water does seem useful for surviving the colony experience as well.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Scotty Rage

Hmm, I could totally get into this, though might have to learn a bit about the particular system you're talking about.  I'm knowledgeable with 3.5 core, but some of the expanded rules I never really got around to.  But I'm a quick study.  ^_^

Callie Del Noire

That's the fun part of pathfinder like Chloe pointed out. It's stream lined in areas and added in others. I would LOVE to bring my name sake into a game since Starfox has vanished. :(

Ixy

I'd honestly prefer Pathfinder, if no one objects.  I was just fixated on 3.5 because I thought that was requested.

Mystic Mika

that was what i was going for originally because I don't have a lot of experience with pathfinder, but it's your game now, Go for it!!  ;D
The difference between saving the world and blowing it up is all in the toss of the dice.

Scotty Rage

I'd still need to learn the system.  -_-

Ixy

PF is just an upgraded and simplified DnD 3.5.  No problem.
You can make a character with this spreadsheet: http://chargen.motime.com/
For references, please look up your classes, stats, etc. on d20pfsrd.com or the book.
At any time, feel free to complete the character information I posted earlier and share it here.

Looking forward to playing with you all :)

Silverfyre

A quick question regarding the freebies from the BoEF and GUCK you are handing out: With the free skill points, do you mean we would be considered "trained" in the skill via the Pathfinder rules or are we using the old skill system from 3.5? 

Ixy

We'll go with Pathfinder rules entirely for skills; if you train in a skill, you get the bonus to skill-related checks once at the beginning.  After that, each additional rank adds up normally. 

Silverfyre

Since it's been a while since I've done Pathfinder, let me make sure I'm getting this down right.

Say I'm trained in Stealth.  This will give me a bonus on said skill and when I gain an additional rank, it will add a plus one to this skill, yes?  I just want to make sure I have my sheet done correctly.

Ixy

That's right... if you had a dex-based hide or sneak test, and you have 1 rank of stealth, then you roll 1d20+dex bonus+1 rank +3 for being trained.  It sounds more complicated than it is.  :)  This way, being trained enough to 'have' that skill, is basically a +4 to your regular check, rather than +1... this makes sense if you think about it, because a level 1 character can only have a max of 1 per skill.  That character deserves, at least, a chance at succeeding on higher dc rolls.

Silverfyre

Makes perfect sense, thanks for answering my questions!  I should have something up for you by tomorrow. :)

Ironwolf85

been wanting to try a BoEF game, count me in.
might play a human or maybe somthing exotic, depends on what everyone else plays
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.