Recruiting: high scale Pathfinder, Taldor, aka Byzantium focused

Started by Kolbrandr, June 02, 2013, 03:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerOne

Hi, everyone....

I'm thinking of playing a character who is well known as a performer/ Courtesan.

She would be in the classes of Street performer and Urban Ranger.

*Smiles brightly*
Sweet as can be, but I bite.
Getting the hang of things again for now. No promises.

Come join our Speakeasy!
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=300370.0

My Ons/ Offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=166545.0

RubySlippers

Need a priestess confessor my character will gladly "confess" her a lot.  :-*

kckolbe

Isn't the prostitute the one that should be corrupting the priestess?  It will be interesting playing a rival cleric.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Meliai

Haha, I think Ruby's character is a follower of Calistria, she might just be looking for a new sacred prostitute :P
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

RubySlippers

Quote from: Meliai on June 04, 2013, 06:48:23 PM
Haha, I think Ruby's character is a follower of Calistria, she might just be looking for a new sacred prostitute :P

My characters order bans taking coin for sexual favors, followers can give donations to the temple and pay for other services however. So she doesn't allow sacred prostitutes on temple grounds or patrons the practice. I should know its HER religious order.

Kolbrandr

Ug, back about, traffic, bleah. Let me just catch up on posts..

Meliai

Sacred Prositution refers to any sexual activity preformed as part of a religious rite/ritual/worship, a monetary exchange isn't necessarily required.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Xerial

Reading, planning, plotting... but doing TT Changeling tonight and have to be in to work extra early tomorrow. Will make progress, not sure how much.

Ebb

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 04, 2013, 05:37:56 PM
Sorry folks, I'm gonna bow out. I just can't make either concept work, especially with an entire base class banned.

Sorry to see you go, ShadowFox. I'm sure there will be room left if a different concept strikes you.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Xerial on June 04, 2013, 07:42:20 PM
Reading, planning, plotting... but doing TT Changeling tonight and have to be in to work extra early tomorrow. Will make progress, not sure how much.

Don't sweat it, there's not some immediate time constraint doing a Sword of Damocles on you.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Ebb on June 04, 2013, 07:45:46 PM
Sorry to see you go, ShadowFox. I'm sure there will be room left if a different concept strikes you.

Meh. I have no interest in playing a straight cut fighter or wizard, even as one side of a gestalt, and stealthy types are a no-go. Most of my concept choices are already cut off, which leaves bottom of the barrel stuff that I don't have much confidence in.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

EroticFantasyAuthor

Would a mercenary band/company/order fit as a faction?

Other than that the only other thing I can think of is them rising to power through the ranks of a Thieve's/Assassin's guild that I could help create/flesh out.

kckolbe

A mercenary band makes sense, but you would have to flesh out where they got their money from.  An assassin's guild would definitely be ambitious.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

EroticFantasyAuthor

While the duo would specialize in assassinations, they'd also be capable of doing many other military based missions. So a mercenary band might fit them better.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: kckolbe on June 04, 2013, 08:19:36 PM
A mercenary band makes sense, but you would have to flesh out where they got their money from.  An assassin's guild would definitely be ambitious.

There's always shopkeepers who need their stores protected, minor nobles wanting to hire an elite force for their holdings, etc. Just look at Eberron and it's various mercenary companies in Sharn.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

kckolbe

I'm not saying the money isn't there to be made, but it would make good history to talk about the bigger jobs in the past.

Intro Thread

EroticFantasyAuthor

Well the current working concept is that their childhood would've been spent as orphaned guttersnipes. Their skills and potential likely gaining the notice of a Thieve's/Assassins' Guild when they were in their late teens.

After this there is two possible ways I can think of for it to proceed.

1. They continuing rising through the ranks of the Thieves/Assassins Guild, perhaps even high enough to take it over.

2. They break off to form their own band, and/or work as free agents, offering their services to anyone willing to pay.

Kolbrandr

Alright, I have shaken off the long workday brain frieds, so, in order of when they happened in thread..

Muse: In a game where I'm allowing the extra cohort thing period, the ability to have your more numerous cohorts have their level limit jump up seems already pretty good even without getting the extra feat, I'm thinking to leave it be unless everyone finds that egregious.

Callie: We are certainly getting a bunch of cleric, /but/, given things like variety in domains and their powers and deities, and in what walks of life/purpose said clerics have, if you want to keep the cleric baroness thing, that's really potentially okay, I don't mind. If you want to change it, that's okay too. The Witch for hire is potentially cool and a literal character assassin is a nice spin, though a functionally impossible to save against hex is a bit.. nnng. The main saving grace I'm seeing for it is that it would take you multiple rounds to throw onto someone to get every effect going, and, you know, people have crap that detects magic and crap. Certainly not everyone, but enough that you would probably want to be relatively circumspect in throwing that around hardcore, sooo, we can potentially just see how that works out in play.

Muse: That looks all nascently fine, I would note that if you did just want to be a member of your own house and not the boss of it, that's okay too. If you are the head, you nominally, as a senatorial family head, sit in the Senate. Do you bother with that? Send a proxy? Have an opinion on the big feud of focusing on Qadira vs focusing on Galt?

ERF: So for instance, one of the things of being a lone (well, duo) mercenary assassin for hire would be, what are your buy ins to the setting? Do you have a particular regular patron? Any specific goals beyond making dudes dead and making bling? Things you emotionally invest in? Certainly having an actual mercenary band to your name to hire out would be a help.

Shadow: I'm sorry something couldn't be worked out. If you do have another idea, we can always try talking that out. Being a stealth capable person isn't a no go, just the angle you were pursuing one from was difficult. I would recommend looking at it as concept as much as classes, as far as it goes.

Gingerscorpion: Sounds potentially entirely cool.

Now for PMs..

ShadowFox89

I just can't agree on banning the Magus base class. You might as well argue the Bard is a rogue/cleric or the Ninja is a rogue/monk, neither of which are entirely true either.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kolbrandr

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 04, 2013, 10:16:39 PM
I just can't agree on banning the Magus base class. You might as well argue the Bard is a rogue/cleric or the Ninja is a rogue/monk, neither of which are entirely true either.

Don't know what to tell you then, was right in the opening post.

ShadowFox89

But WHY is it banned? It isn't the same as having a fighter on one side and a wizard on another. It gives you an entirely unique set of abilities, different from either class. It shares neither the BaB, spells, HD, skills, saves, or features of the two classes. The only similarity is that is uses physical attacks (like a fighter) and arcane spells with a spellbook (like a wiizard). Do you simply not like the class?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

EroticFantasyAuthor

Kolbrandr

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 04, 2013, 10:24:16 PM
But WHY is it banned? It isn't the same as having a fighter on one side and a wizard on another. It gives you an entirely unique set of abilities, different from either class. It shares neither the BaB, spells, HD, skills, saves, or features of the two classes. The only similarity is that is uses physical attacks (like a fighter) and arcane spells with a spellbook (like a wiizard). Do you simply not like the class?

Okay. The entire intent of why the magus class was created conceptually is that it specifically fills a fighter/mage niche, that's the central driving thematics of its function, to the point where they changed the iconic that was an eldritch knight previously, to a magus. When this is gestalt already, that feels then like yo dawg, I hear you like gestalt, so we put a gestalt in your gestalt. The idea of a fightan mage is already covered in doing gestalt by.. taking a martial class, and an arcane casting class, making it in a large way thematically redundant. Beyond that, mechanics wise the strongly hybrid classes and prestige classes in my personal experience with gestalt can end up synergizing /too/ well in a lot of cases.

If you can't be satisfied with that, I'm sorry, but that's where it is. I really don't want to get into a fight over it.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 04, 2013, 10:28:37 PM
Continue discussion in PMs? Or continue in thread as normal?

Oh, I just meant I'm going to now reply to all those. I had a bunch piled up.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Kolbrandr on June 04, 2013, 10:34:17 PM
Oh, I just meant I'm going to now reply to all those. I had a bunch piled up.

That is what I thought but wanted to confirm just in case.

As for the duo, another idea is: spies from an enemy country/kingdom. In the 3.5 campaigns I've previously played them in, they had been Yuan-Ti Tainted Ones used their skills as mercenaries as cover. Not sure how well that would work in Pathfinder, don't think the Serpentfolk are the close to Yuan-Ti to be useable, and I'm not sure if the snake-race(name escapes me) in Advanced Races Guide would really work. So I'm thinking enemy kingdom. If we could work out something Serpentfolk related, that'd be awesome.