Checking interest for a sci-fi survival/horror game FULL!

Started by Andalon, December 10, 2011, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andalon

I was tinkering on this idea for some time now, and thought why not ask if anyone would like to play it.

Just for a brief sum-up:

The characters would be colonists on their way to their new home. As there is no hyperspeed/lightspeed/call-it-whatever-you-want travel invented yet, they have to be kept in cryostasis, sleeping and dreaming while on the years long journey to their new home.

At one point, you wake up. And something is very, very wrong... Your ship is drifting in the orbit of an unknown world. You are alone, except for the few others that are waking up too. There are no medics to attend you, and it seems that the power is running low. Darkness and gloom is everywhere. Are you the last ones, out of a crew and passengers of over 5.000? What happened, and do you really want to know?

So much for the basic setting I have in mind.

This will be a free form game, so no game system involved. Your characters could be a technician, a farmer, a security officer... whatever you think would work for someone in a crew to establish a new colony.

A few points regarding the "system" and the setting:

- Only humans. There are no aliens and/or xenos. That's what the governments say, at least...
- While taking place in the future, there are still cultural and ethnical rivalries. Not only between the terran population, but also regarding the various colonies.
- No autohitting, no godmodding. Players play their characters, and no one else does, unless the player in question gets asked if he/she's ok with it, and agrees. I like cinematic games, but don't say: "I pull my gun and shoot him in the head." Instead, say: "I pull out my gun, aim for his head and pull the trigger." What happens next will be up to the GM ( which would be me ). the better and more detailed you describe your actions, the more likely you will succeed.
- Characters are characters, and players are players. A character might say "no", meaning "yes", and you can go on. A player might say "no", and it will be "no". Period. Should there be any issues coming up between players (not characters, those will be settled in game), give me a shout, and I try to settle things.
- While I do not encourage violence and hate between the characters, I also don't prohibit it. Your char thinks it's a good idea to beat another char up? Fine, go for it. Just keep two things in mind: Again, no autohitting and godmodding, and you WILL have to live with the consequences.
- I'm not sure about the tech level yet, but there won't be any instant-death-rays-of-apocalypse like weapons. Also, I'm thinking of including bionics and augmentations Ghost in the Shell style. That would be up to the players to decide if things like that exist.
- I will adjust the style of challenges to the characters. Let's say, if the group is mainly combat focused, there will be combat. A group consisting of a technician, a farmer and a secretary will have something more suited to their characters. I'd like to have a good mix of combat/non-combat characters, and will do my best to get everyone involved.
- Keep to yourself what you don't want other to know. This is very important to me. If there are things about your character you don't want other players to know, send them to me in a PM. Example? The charcater you're playing is a farmer. But before he started to grow crops, he was a special forces soldier, and still knows how to kill and plant explosives. He is ashamed of his past, and what he did there, and tries to keep it hidden from others. get the idea? Good.

As this will be free form, character sheets will be simple. I only require the following:

• Name of the player
  • Name of the character
  • Appearance (this can be done by a pic, or by describing, or both, whatever works for you)
  • Profession
  • Fields of interest and skill
  • Fears and hopes
  • Habits, both good and bad
  • Equipment and gear (a general idea will do, I will give you gear that will go with your profession and interests which i seem appropriate, unless you come up with something yourself)

Should there be a few people interested in playing this kind of game, which will include horror, violence, blood and gore (maybe also some kinky stuff, but that's up to you), I will start with the details to get it going asap.

If you have read this far, and still don't know what you might expect: think of Dead Space, Alien, Eden log or Pandorum, all mixed up, and some spice added.

Should you be interested, give me a note either here, or via PM.

Wargtass

I am bumping this, because I am certainly interested! I'll get back later tonight when I figured out more on a potential character.
O/O

Miyu

Name of the player: Miyu
    Name of the character: Miyuki Haruna
    Appearance: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-srWUkxqQWWQ/Tf5yLPqVPOI/AAAAAAAABsg/aFzeKqnkWLY/s1600/BEAUTIFUL+JAPANESE+GIRLS+LOOK+SO+CUTE+%25289%2529.jpg
    Profession: Molecular Scientist
    Fields of interest and skill: Cooking, Science, Some medicine (how to treat wounds), Nature fanatic (She loves plants and animals)
    Fears and hopes:
Fears: Mostly anything she cannot understand or rationalize. Once she does find a logical reason behind it she would no longer be afraid of it. She has a phobia of being restrained and snakes (or anything resembling a snake)
Hopes: To be able to make their new home a good home for humans and to simply succeed in everything she set her mind to.
    Habits, both good and bad
Good: She loves to take care of animals and people. She will not judge a person by their looks or the like. She is always smiling and trying to make other people smile when she is calm herself.
Bad: Will develop during the story
    Equipment and gear: Nothing with her, but if they manage to get to her office she might have a good place to study whoever it's invading if it happens to be a alien or whatever.

Andalon

Looks good to me Miyu. Consider yourself in.

Wargtass, take your time, no need to hurry things.

rachelongaku

•Name of the player
Rachelongaku
•Name of the character
Hitomi Satou
•Appearance

•Profession
Doctor, Previously a Paramedic
•Fields of interest and skill
First Aid, Paramedic Work, Mental Illness
•Fears and hopes
Hitomi fears being responsible for someone losing their life. Hitomi hopes to save as many people as possible.
•Habits, both good and bad
Hitomi doesn't have many 'habits'. But she is a loud talker. And she'd very sociable. Okay, she loves gossip. And she loves being part of gossip.
•Equipment and gear
Medical Supplies
Haven't been here in years but I'm in need of a good distraction!

Andalon

So right now we have an M.D (rachel), and a molecular scientist (Miyu). Brain work is definitly sorted out then ;)

Another two more, and I will start with the stuff to get the game on.

Oh, and by the way, just in case, one post a day will be perfectly fine. No need to rush things.

jinglehorn

I just took a break from playing Dead Space 2 to have a casual glance at the forums, and this ad pops up before me? Must be a divine sign! :P

Very much intrigued...and if you haven't already guessed it, you can expect to see an engineer application coming up soon! ;)

jinglehorn

Didn't take as long as I expected, getting the basics down. Here, have an engineer!

• Player Name: Jinglehorn
  • Character Name: Logan Dunkirk
  • Appearance:
    Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
  • Profession: Mechanical Engineer
  • Fields of Interest & Skills: Electronics & Software, Field Repairs, Amateur Photography
  • Hopes: Leaving a significant mark behind him as a pioneer of the new colony they set out to establish. Establishing good rapport as both a person and a technician amongst his new, and likely life-long peers.
  • Fears: Technical challenges that seem to defy logic and physical laws... i.e. problems which his educated solutions do not seem to solve or improve; An engineer's nightmare! Oh, and bugs. He hates those critters!
  • Good Habits: Excellent work discipline; He doesn't like half-assed jobs. Easy-going persona, getting along well with most around him.
  • Bad Habits: Despite his friendly nature, he can become quite irritable during difficult tasks. Not the most outgoing of people, preferring books to others for company.
  • Equipment: Portable Repair Kit, possibly an Enviro-Hazard Suit appropriate for ship technicians.
    Bonus!

Frelance

I am interested in. I will put up a profile soon. I am not sure what my character will be yet lol but I am sure I will figure it out soon enough.
Evolution is an arms race

Andalon

Allright, so we have our full crew.

Characters approved so far:

Logan Dunkirk by jinglehorn
Hitomi Satou by Rachelongaku
Miyuki Haruna by Miyu
Either by Lesonac
Havelock Cooper by Wargtass

Waiting for:

Frelance

I'll start writing up some more info and stuff, so we can hopefully get this running after the christmas holidays.

EDIT: If you have any questions regarding... uhm anything, just ask.

Wargtass

Is the colonisation government or company based? Or is it a company working for a governing body. Could seem pretty random a question, but strangely it's kinda important to the direction which I will take this character.
O/O

Andalon

Not random at all. Weyland-Yutani anyone? ;)

Basically, the government is founding the new colonies, for obvious reasons. While they can provide manpower, there are some fields that they can not do, or do not want to. In this case, they hire subcontractors, which are private companies. For example, military forces will have their bills payed by the government, while simple security matters will be handed down to a company.

I hope this answers your question, if there's anything you need to clearify, shoot me a PM.

Lesonac

"Thanks for the chocolate...."
My A/A's

Andalon

Oh well, five or six won't make a difference.

You will die soon enough, so the ranks will be cleared out.

Did i say that loud?

Well anyway, feel free to join in Lesonac.

Lesonac

Ooooooh......Totally shaking in my boots!

Alright, Ill get a profile up ASAP!
My A/A's

Lesonac

Sorry it took so long. Hopefully this is an okay profile:

Name of the player: Lesonac
Name of the character: Either
Appearance:

Profession: Farmer. She used to be a military pilot.
Fields of interest and skill: Hunting, reading, survival tactics[they can be good in the long run!]

Fears and hopes:
>Fears: Either has a fear of loosing control. She likes to make sure that shes the "calm" one in any given situation. Then there's that small phobia of men she might have....
>Hopes: To be able to pass on what she knows to the next generation so that they my put it to good use. Hopefully they wont mess up like they did....

Habits, both good and bad:
>Good: Either can take charge pretty easily and she doesn't know what the sentence "give up" means.
>Bad: She likes to think no one can tell her what to do in any situation, no matter how right they are. She can also appear cold and bitchy to some.

Equipment and gear: The gun she had from her piloting days and the small survival kit she took from the ship, when she woke up.
My A/A's

Andalon

Looks good to me, one question though:

The characters name, is it Either, or Lesonac? Maybe I don't get it, or maybe I'm still a bit drunk, or most likely both ;)

Lesonac

My A/A's

Andalon

Works for me ;)

Thanks for helping me out on that one.

I think we're ready to go after christmas, already did some stuff for the intro and bits, so prepare for it ;)

Lesonac

Sounds good to me 83 I might be a tad slow from time to time because Ill be replying from my phone D8
My A/A's

Andalon

No worries about that, it won't be a fast paced game anyway.

As long as everyone is having fun, the goal is reached ;)

Wargtass

Finally got around to this...  ;D

Player Name: Wargtass
Character Name: Havelock Cooper

Appearance: Havelock has always kept himself in top shape through the years, but his age is starting to show. Many deep scars show traces of wounds that have left him nearly crippled as a result, so he might not be as fit as he thinks. He keeps his mostly grey hair trimmed short but since the accident he haven't been able to shave and without his wardrobe he moves around in his bed attire without shoes or socks.

Profession: Internal Security and Intelligence liason of the Government and Susidiary

Fields of Interest & Skills: Macro-security and espionage, psychology, martial arts and a healthy interest in firearms.

Hopes: Maintaining the integrity of the vessel: Failed. Containing the damages on the governmental and subsidiary security: Yet to be fulfilled.

Fears: His worst fears lies in the fact that he cannot fully secure his own sanity. Having the integrity of his own rational thought and mindset rendered would be terrifying. Perhaps it's innevitable, perhaps it has already started...

Good Habits: Always ensures the integrity of his environment before settling. His almost sixth sense have kept him alive for almost 20 years in His Majesty's Secret Service, no alien scum will change that!

Bad Habits: Quick to temper and absolutely set in his ways. His years in the SIS has made him paranoid of any resistance he encounters, alien or human.

Equipment: Having yet to gain access to the armoury, he has had to keep with his personal sidearm and combat knife.
O/O

Andalon

Sorry that took a while, but holidays, and was without net for some time (why? the Gods know, I don't).

I've worked out the intro so far, only need to add in a few details, and then, I think tomorrow we can start.

jinglehorn

Take your time Andalon, no rush!

I'll be flying tomorrow anyhow, but will make sure to dive in soon as I'm able.  O8)