Highlander: The Quickening. Interest Check.

Started by Batman4560, August 21, 2015, 05:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman4560

They have lived for Centuries, some good, some evil. They have battled the forces of light and darkness. Their only refuge is holy ground. They cannont be killed unless their heads are taken and their power absorbed. They are IMMORTALS. Now, after the stroke of a sword and the falling of a head, the quickening has begun and the game has started...

This role play is based on the Highlander series. Mostly inspired by the Television series where Immortals have relationships with one another and mortals alike. This can be free form sandbox or have heavy focus on a plot.

I'll be playing a Villain and if anyone would like to play villains as opposed to heroes feel free to let me know and we can work something out.

As far as killing off characters and having quickening's happen is concerned: Think of it this way. You can play the hero/heroine of your story and also create other character for your main character to kill off.

This series will be set in modern time. 2014 or 2015. In an alternate version of earth. I'll be working on a basic outline for character sheets tonight.

I'm expecting a posting rate of at least 1 post per two weeks out of this. Unless something happens. I figure that gives everyone plenty of time to post without putting pressure on the faster or slower posters. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please feel free to send them my way. :)

Character Sheet:

[center][img][/img][/center]
[i][b]Name:[/b][/i]

[i][b]Character Name:[/b][/i]

[i][b]Weapon:[/b][/i]

[i][b]Age:[/b][/i] :

[i][b]Number of Immortals Killed:[/b][/i]

[i][b]Occupation:[/b][/i] (Watcher/Immortal/Civilian/ and what do you do for a living?)

[i][b]Personality:[/b][/i]

[i][b]Bio[/b][/i] :

Pumpkin Seeds

Batman4560

Yay! When I get back from work I should have at least some details up on what I'm Thinking. :)

Nowherewoman

Funny- I was just thinking about the same thing a few days ago, when I rewatched the movie (which was a LOT cheesier than I remembered...)

But how would this work as a group game? There Can Be Only One...not sure a lot of people want to roll characters just to kill them off...
My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

RubySlippers

Oh. oh, oh loved the TV Series and most of the movies I pretend Highlander 2 and Highlander: The Source never existed for my sanity and to keep my enjoyment of the genre. I would love to play in some role.

And Immortals don't have to kill each other all the time until there is only a few left, then well, shit happens. But one could just hide on holy ground forever or they could agree not to fight anymore. ;/

But there are other roles mortal lovers, Watchers, renegade watchers and you even toss in some other supernaturals like vampires (who for some reason can't get food from an Immortal we don't need them as mobile all you can eat buffets).

Nowherewoman

See, I never saw much of the series. I had figured lovers etc...but the movies were mostly 'hack slash, behead, lightning bolts'. Except...Highlander At The End Of All Good SFX Design, whichever one that was.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

RubySlippers

Actually the Series had broader options, for example immortals did not kill on sight many were friendly, one was 12 years old and another mentally challenged who wasn't fit to fight for example and he had a guardian so there are ample options. I suggest try to watch some of the TV Series.

1SAZ

A roleplay about one of my all time favorite series of movies and television shows (even if some of them were bad). I'm in.

Batman4560

The first post has been updated a bit with a basic outline of what I have in mind for this. If anyone has any suggestions please send them my way via pm.

Garuss Vakarian

I'm interested. Love Highlander! Big fan. ^^ probably play an immortal born in BC Rome. Or perhaps from Persia? Lol get it? Persian immortals  :P

Nowherewoman

I've been reading up on some of the series lore.

Considering either a Watcher- a martial arts teacher and something of a badass herself- or a very new Immortal, trying to figure out WTF just happened to her life.

Would love to roll a Hunter, but being on the bad side of everyone else in the game doesn't sound like much fun :D

Teo Torriatte

I would love to get in on this if its not too late. The movies were alright, but I am a pretty big fan of the series.

Batman4560

It's not to late at all. I won't even have a character sheet up for everyone until I get home from work. :)

Garuss Vakarian

:  passes time till character sheet singing Queen songs.: Heeeere~ we are. Born to be kings, were the prince's of the universe!.... YEAH! XD  lol.

RubySlippers

Sounds like fun, remember villain doesn't mean asshole, in the serious some evil immortals were rather decent people who just wanted to be the one to get the Prize. So had to hunt rather actively. Now some used scum tactics in addition to being aggressive. And some ended up fighting another immortal just because of personal differences the immortals not being necessarily bad just bad in the past and got mellower or fought dirty because they had to say your a child immortal. Not the case here with the age rules.

I have character ideas.

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Garuss Vakarian on August 22, 2015, 03:35:33 PM
:  passes time till character sheet singing Queen songs.: Heeeere~ we are. Born to be kings, were the prince's of the universe!.... YEAH! XD  lol.

I hear that song literally every time my phone rings.  :-)

Garuss Vakarian

Yeah? Must be a bitching ringtone then.  8-) Ha ha. I know I am now tempted to use it. Queen is a great band, and did a great soundtrack for the first film! Ilove Who Wants To Live Forever. ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

Batman4560

Sheet is up on the first post guys. Post em here for approval. :)

P.S. I'm not looking for anything massive as far as bio's go. Just the significant parts of your characters life up until this point.

Name: Batman4560

Character Name: Jack Danny.

Weapon: Spartan Blade
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Number of Immortals Killed: 349

Personality: Cold, quick tempered, knows how to use a fake personality and work a person to his favor.

Bio:

Born in the Tenth Century BC, Jack was raised to be a Spartan soldier from birth. Like all Spartan's, Jack learned swordsmanship at an early age and was put into his first battle at 15. It was there that he took his first life, things went on that way until he was 32... That was when he was killed, and when he was reborn.

Jack was revived and found by a fellow Immortal, and the king of the Persian's. The king taught Jack the rules and introduced him to the Game. After learning the ways of Persian and Spartan wars, Jack went to work hunting Immortals and became a natural. Jack helped the Persian King take over Sparta before he vanished from the world.

Traveling all over the world, Jack learned what he could and he battled Immortals on every land. With every quickening, Jack gained more power and soon found himself lusting for more power. But he didn't want to be a king or politician... Jack became a drug runner and soon found himself running a drug ring himself, using it to find other immortals and either killing them or bringing them into his circle of powerful friends.

Nowherewoman

Name: NowhereWoman

Character Name: Jenna Sinclair

Weapon: Primarily HtH, bo and jo;  some practice with Chinese Broadsword and fighting chain

Number of Immortals Killed: 0

Personality: Outgoing and sardonic, with a hard edge.

Bio :

The only child of a old-school Homicide Detective, Jenna started self-defense classes quite young, at her Dad's insistence. She turned out to have a knack for it, and went on to study martial arts seriously, becoming a respected National competitor in single-stick. 

Now the owner of her own dojo 'Sin' has parlayed her family connections into a position teaching non-lethal and nightstick techniques to the local cops. The place is centrally enough located that it gradually has become a hangout for some of the mellower Immortals who either live in the city or are passing through, a sort of unofficial neutral ground. This led, in turn, to the Watchers recruiting Jenna a few years back.

It's an odd dynamic- she pretends to not know who and what the Immortals are, to preserve good relations with her clientele; in turn, if the Deathless have any idea the hardbody brunette who constantly rags them on their technique is a Watcher, they ignore it. It has put kind of a crimp in Sin's social life, though, as she often is out all hours..well, Watching, and is nervous about exposing any of her small circle of friends to the secrets and danger surrounding the Prize.

Teo Torriatte

Name: Luna

Character Name: Katherine Haldis (ne Haldis Raknardottir)

Weapon: Viking sword

Number of Immortals Killed: 222

Personality: Slow to anger, but her temper can explode if prodded the right/wrong way. Has a strong sense of justice, and the last few hundred years has taken on more of a matronly demeanor.

Bio:

Born in Norway in the year 714 AD, Kate Haldis (simply referred to as 'Haldis' by most Watchers and some Immortals) was the adopted daughter of a prominent Jarl, Raknar Magnusson. Raknar was a fierce warrior with a reputation for fairness but he was also not one to tolerate those who broke his people's laws or preyed on the weakness of others. Haldis herself was looking forward to giving her father many strong grandsons, but try as she might she was not able to conceive. In her late teens, when she finally admitted to herself that she wasn't going to have a family of her own, she instead learned how to fight and begged her father to let her raid with him, but he would have none of it. One year, in her early 20's, she would get her chance when he didn't come home, and she was so insistent on looking for him that no one dared to tell her she couldn't. She never found her father, and a few years later she was 'killed' on a raid, herself. But, being an Immortal, this was not the end of her story, but rather just the beginning.

For several years, Haldis wandered the British Isles, not really sure what happened to her or why she had come back from death. She was eventually discovered by a druid who called himself "Mannix the Great", who told her what she was, taught her about the Game, and started to hone her sword fighting skills. Like her adopted father, Mannix also had a sense of justice and fairness, and preferred not to see the strong pick on the weak. He taught her the value of patience, and she learned pretty quickly that she wouldn't need to prey on weaker immortals in order to rack up Immortal kills. Instead, she became a silent observer of history by living through much of it, and would eventually become a custodian of antiquity and even a professor of history from time to time.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Batman4560 on August 22, 2015, 11:45:42 PM
Sheet is up on the first post guys. Post em here for approval. :)

P.S. I'm not looking for anything massive as far as bio's go. Just the significant parts of your characters life up until this point.

Name: Batman4560

Character Name: Jack Danny.

Weapon: Spartan Blade
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Number of Immortals Killed: 721

Personality: Cold, quick tempered, knows how to use a fake personality and work a person to his favor.

Bio:

Born in the Tenth Century BC, Jack was raised to be a Spartan soldier from birth. Like all Spartan's, Jack learned swordsmanship at an early age and was put into his first battle at 15. It was there that he took his first life, things went on that way until he was 32... That was when he was killed, and when he was reborn.

Jack was revived and found by a fellow Immortal, and the king of the Persian's. The king taught Jack the rules and introduced him to the Game. After learning the ways of Persian and Spartan wars, Jack went to work hunting Immortals and became a natural. Jack helped the Persian King take over Sparta before he vanished from the world.

Traveling all over the world, Jack learned what he could and he battled Immortals on every land. With every quickening, Jack gained more power and soon found himself lusting for more power. But he didn't want to be a king or politician... Jack became a drug runner and soon found himself running a drug ring himself, using it to find other immortals and either killing them or bringing them into his circle of powerful friends.

That's a lot of immortals combined Duncan and Connor had roughly 450 kills and both were forced to be pretty active in the movie and series even as a bad guy, likely he would have more than even the Kurgan and he was older and also very active at hunting. Might I suggest 350 something it would mean being active and a proper hunter without being crazy. Remember not all immortals would fight Amanda avoided combat and was happy to run away or use trickery her goal was to survive. Plus immortals aren't easy to find so it would take him time to locate targets especially before modern technology one every few decades seems more sensible to me. Just saying the character overall is pretty bad ass though.  ;D

RubySlippers

Would one of you mind being the teacher to a new immortal, would have just been Quickened and not knowing much of what's going on save some people with blades keep trying to kill her. You might recognize the actress she'll be looking like in the game.

And yes she will be into women as lovers a lot.

Nowherewoman

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 23, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
Would one of you mind being the teacher to a new immortal, would have just been Quickened and not knowing much of what's going on save some people with blades keep trying to kill her. You might recognize the actress she'll be looking like in the game.

And yes she will be into women as lovers a lot.

ZOMG, if I had known you were gonna use Alyson as your Avi...I'da gone a WHOLE different way.

Sin can teach her a lot at the gym after hours ;D

Teo Torriatte

Haldis would certainly be willing to take a new Immortal under her wing.  :-)

RubySlippers

Name: Ruby Slippers

Character Name:  Ann Hershey

Weapon: None Yet

Number of Immortals Killed: 0

Personality: A very pleasant woman with grace, breeding and a fine education she is hardly a bad person or good just tries to live her life honestly and doing good work in various charities and openly a lesbian since she was in her teens. At least until recently when she's been dodging maniacs with a sharp blade all wanting to get something called a Quickening now when she feels the funny feeling she gets she runs so is paranoid not knowing wtf is going on.

Bio : Born into the Hershey's she had a pampered life, well save the family devotion to charity and good works which rubbed off, she attended private schools including Bryn Mawr College where she majored in Social Justice and then on to Law School earning a degree at Harvard. She intended to work helping the poor as a lawyer or join a charity using her education to help others before she was raped and her throat cut. Then she woke up bloody and alive and scared. A couple weeks later some man with a katana attacked her trying to cut off her head she managed to run using years of gymnastics and other fitness interests to make an escape and then later a woman with a long blade did the same thing so she ran to the city to get way from those nutcases. Getting a under the table job as a waitress for only tips and using her fluency in Spanish she managed to hide a few years until that funny feeling happened again when this blond was around having lunch and oddly curious about her. She's edgy right now and not sure what is going on but is sure she will try to kill her like the others so is planning to go somewhere else.

Strengths/Weaknesses/Fighting Style: Is not trained yet over some self defense, advanced self defense and martial arts over the years including batons. But is a fit woman lithe but very agile and quick with a background in Cheerleading (being tossed into the air), Acrobatics and Gymnastics and is fearless of heights so a keen eye would build around that with a fast lighter blade to exploit her strengths and her dodging and evasion skills. Her major weakness is her lithe build is not overtly strong as in brute strength so she will need superior technique and precision over brute power where she is below average. Is also a good looking woman with ample money so has some advantages if she learns to use that as well for at least a few decades.