A fresh start (M seeking Any)

Started by ChaoticDreamSystem, May 01, 2024, 12:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaoticDreamSystem

Hello, I am new to E and am waiting for approval. While I am waiting, I was hoping that I could perhaps start a small one-on-one session. The concept I am looking to run with is:

A dragon that's able to take human form disguises itself to hide amongst humans. And no one notices for several centuries. The dragon has amassed wealth and now owns either one major business or several smaller businesses. A cruel and merciless CEO, he hides many secrets.

I have seen this idea floating around, and would very much like to try my hand at the concept. As I'm not yet approved, I can't be DM'd just yet, but I would like to explore a PG version of this concept with anyone who is interested. I would very much like to be the one portraying the dragon-in-hiding, but am open to suggestions.

Tuttle

I could be convinced. It would depend largely on what character you might like to see opposite yours. 
"Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Winston Churchill

ChaoticDreamSystem

I am open to discussion. Perhaps a descendant of a mighty knight seeking one of the dragons who eluded their dragon hunting ancestors? It took a while, but they finally found the dragon. Except the dragon doesn't look like a dragon.

Tuttle

What's to stop said dragon from just turning back into a dragon and nuking him?
"Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Winston Churchill

ChaoticDreamSystem

The fact he doesn't have enough magical energy to make the shift. The change from one form to the other requires magical energy, and if he doesn't have enough magic, he can't make the change. Imagine being in a day and age where magic is so sparse, and you are a creature that relies on magical objects to get your magic. Because the breath weapon dragons use isn't a magical attack, it's a physical one generated from within their core. Yes some dragons can use magic, but to be able to use it without a magical item present seems OP to me, so I have it in my head that they need to absorb magic from another source in order to use it, hence why they hoard. And he's depleted his magic to the point that he uses it very sparingly to get by in a world that humans have taken over and dragons are nearly extinct. He collects artifacts like any other rich person, but in his case it's so he can have magical items to gather energy from to change back into his dragon form if he desperately needs to. But that's as a last resort. That fancy vase that's 10,000 years old? It holds just enough magic for him to take to his dragon form if he needs to protect himself from another mythical creature. The 250,000 suit of armor in the hall? Just enough to change back to a human form before anyone suspects he's not ordinary. I am unsure if that makes sense, but that is the best my mind could come up with. Now imagine being a dragon with your magic stores very low and you are approached by the descendant of the knight who gave you the scar across the right side of your face, and he stands between you and the vase that could give you the energy you need to roast him alive. That is what my character would be contending with.

Tuttle

Ahhhh, okay. I'm open to the idea, but we would need to discuss further. 

ChaoticDreamSystem

Alright, ask me any and all questions you wish, and I shall answer them to the fullest.

Tuttle

Flesh out your dragon a bit more for me, if you don't mind. 

Are you opposed to a character who is also magical hunting them? A Fae perhaps? 

What other magical creatures are out there?

ChaoticDreamSystem

Do you mean personality-wise? Or characteristics/limitations?

I am not opposed. If anything, that may make things more interesting. Having a being that possesses unlimited magic hunting a creature that requires magic but has to find alternate sources? Rather ironic.

If it's been mentioned in mythology, it does exist in this world. It simply has learned to glamour itself from human eyes to protect form being hunted to extinction. Any sort of fae folk(Brownies, banshees, sprites, gnomes, elves, ect), unicorns, dragons, ogres, golems, gorgons, ect.

Tuttle

Hmmm, that's fair. I'm going to have a think on what sort of character I might play.

ChaoticDreamSystem

Take all the time you like. I'm a patient person.

ChaoticDreamSystem

Alright, because I detest leaving something just sitting for so long, I have decided to add to this. But as I am still Unapproved, I can not edit my original, so I shall add it here as a comment.

To expand upon my dragon:
here is a quote of the original portion I had posted
Quote from: ChaoticDreamSystem on May 01, 2024, 05:52:56 PMThe fact he doesn't have enough magical energy to make the shift. The change from one form to the other requires magical energy, and if he doesn't have enough magic, he can't make the change. Imagine being in a day and age where magic is so sparse, and you are a creature that relies on magical objects to get your magic. Because the breath weapon dragons use isn't a magical attack, it's a physical one generated from within their core. Yes some dragons can use magic, but to be able to use it without a magical item present seems OP to me, so I have it in my head that they need to absorb magic from another source in order to use it, hence why they hoard. And he's depleted his magic to the point that he uses it very sparingly to get by in a world that humans have taken over and dragons are nearly extinct. He collects artifacts like any other rich person, but in his case it's so he can have magical items to gather energy from to change back into his dragon form if he desperately needs to. But that's as a last resort. That fancy vase that's 10,000 years old? It holds just enough magic for him to take to his dragon form if he needs to protect himself from another mythical creature. The 250,000 suit of armor in the hall? Just enough to change back to a human form before anyone suspects he's not ordinary. I am unsure if that makes sense, but that is the best my mind could come up with. Now imagine being a dragon with your magic stores very low and you are approached by the descendant of the knight who gave you the scar across the right side of your face, and he stands between you and the vase that could give you the energy you need to roast him alive. That is what my character would be contending with.
Here is more information not yet provided
He is roughly 4,300 years old, but in his human form he appears about the age of 40. He stands at 6'4, has black hair that is cropped short but in a tidy and fashionable style, and eyes that look like pools of molten gold. He has naturally tanned skin, and normally wears a suit. It is rare to see him wear anything but a suit. His personality is that he is distant, stoic, stern, quiet and reserved. He is very secretive about himself, speaking very little, and what little he does tell is short and vague. He seems to be your typical wealthy businessman, owning a lot of expensive items, having things of high value all around his home and office. But unlike most businessmen, he doesn't flaunt his wealth. Just the opposite, most people have no idea how wealthy he is, and very few have seen the interior of his house beyond where he allows for parties. His private security makes sure no one wanders.