Interest Check: Disney's Disciplinary Academy for Troubled Youths

Started by Mathim, March 29, 2017, 10:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fury Aphrodisia

Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

la dame en noir

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on June 03, 2017, 12:23:21 PM
Ah, Sleeping Beauty!

Anyone know of an exhaustive list of the Disney characters? I always have such trouble remembering what are Disney before or after the brief period between Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story.

For instance... Jedi, technically Disney characters now, right? I'm not saying I'm about to pick up teenage Sidious, I'm just using an example of why this could get complicated.

If I was going to play Simba, probably make him... I dunno, teenage Simba could be fun, but I'd want to explore more than just his interactions with people already in his story. I'd want to see him interact more with people outside of that, to explore more. But I also think I'd want to do the witch from Rapunzel, can't remember her name. The.... Tangled version, I think, unless I'm mixing them up.

Man,  I struggle with Western fairy tales... :/
I know quite a bit about Disney and would love to help you with that. As for Western Fairtales - they're literally are European. Like, Disney is heavily influenced by the Grimm Stories expect for a few like Pocahontas, Mulan, and Moana to name a few.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Mathim

Quote from: Angie on June 03, 2017, 12:27:36 PM
Oh I just explained how this gets complicated. We could St. Elsewhere this game, and if you get that reference, you are a fine nerd.

You're thinking of "Mother Gothel" by the way. You can easily find the villain by googling the name of the movie with "villain" after it.

It kind of comes down to how straight we play the Disney thing. Is it "only Disney animation/live-action", "anything that appeared with a Disney character" (which includes the Kingdom Hearts stuff I mentioned before), or "anything that's a Disney property" (which includes Marvel, Star Wars, etc). Most Honorable GM Mathim, just how big is the scope of this game?

Well, considering this isn't a Kingdom Hearts game, nor a Marvel game, nor a Star Wars game, all of which could easily be their own expansive game without reference to any other franchise or property, I'm going to say the scope of our game will be limited to Disney-originated films and television, Pixar films and any live-action (Tomorrowland, for want of a better example) or animated hybrid (Enchanted, for instance) Disney films. Nothing from Kingdom Hearts, Marvel Comics or Lucasfilm, as those are either not owned by Disney or did not originate as the property of Disney. It's a nostalgia trip, for the most part.

And if you're looking for an index of stuff to choose from, I've found no better comprehensive list than good ol' wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Fury Aphrodisia

I think my trouble is that west of Koreas, south of the UK and north of Egypt confounds me. I'm usually pretty damned good with myth. But new fairy tales? Bleh. Especially Disney ones, cause they're so warped. At that point, I really have to go off the movies, because the way I know them is almost unrecognizable to other people.
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Fury Aphrodisia

Quote from: Mathim on June 03, 2017, 01:14:10 PM
Well, considering this isn't a Kingdom Hearts game, nor a Marvel game, nor a Star Wars game, all of which could easily be their own expansive game without reference to any other franchise or property, I'm going to say the scope of our game will be limited to Disney-originated films and television, Pixar films and any live-action (Tomorrowland, for want of a better example) or animated hybrid (Enchanted, for instance) Disney films. Nothing from Kingdom Hearts, Marvel Comics or Lucasfilm, as those are either not owned by Disney or did not originate as the property of Disney. It's a nostalgia trip, for the most part.

And if you're looking for an index of stuff to choose from, I've found no better comprehensive list than good ol' wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films

Okay, so... do you have a list of movies that would be worthwhile? I don't know what all started as Disney. I tried to name my favourite three Disney movies and my sister just looked at me hard until I looked them up - they're all Amblin. Anastasia, Balto and Titan A.E.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb. I thought it was a list of characters you'd given us, not movies. I see it now, sorry!

2nd Edit: OMG Condorman! I didn't realize that was Disney!

la dame en noir

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on June 03, 2017, 01:34:47 PM
I think my trouble is that west of Koreas, south of the UK and north of Egypt confounds me. I'm usually pretty damned good with myth. But new fairy tales? Bleh. Especially Disney ones, cause they're so warped. At that point, I really have to go off the movies, because the way I know them is almost unrecognizable to other people.

You've never heard of the Grimm Fairytales? They're incredibly old. And Moana is based on Polynesian lore. Mulan is based of a Legend. and Pocahontas was a real Native woman in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimms%27_Fairy_Tales
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_animated_films_based_on_fairy_tales
A&A | FxF |

la dame en noir

Disney has used Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, Russian Folk Tales, Polynesian Folk Tales, Traditional Chinese Stories, American History, Mexican Folk Tales, Books like (Alice in Wonderland - Chicken Little - Peter Pan), Aesop, Arabian Tales, Macbeth(Lion King)

And they also get inspiration from other movies

Disney has a lot of inspiration and stories that you're probably more familiar with than you realize.
A&A | FxF |

Mathim

The focus isn't really on the meat of the myths, more on just the antagonism between the protagonist and antagonist, so it doesn't matter terribly if they got the story badly lost in translation. Besides, this makes room for fresh new personalities and relationships, so don't get too hung up on whether Disney butchered one of the tales or one of their originals is hackneyed as all hell.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

la dame en noir

Quote from: Mathim on June 03, 2017, 02:26:11 PM
The focus isn't really on the meat of the myths, more on just the antagonism between the protagonist and antagonist, so it doesn't matter terribly if they got the story badly lost in translation. Besides, this makes room for fresh new personalities and relationships, so don't get too hung up on whether Disney butchered one of the tales or one of their originals is hackneyed as all hell.
I know this. I'm just letting her know that there are stories/characters that she probably knows and didn't even realize Disney had done a rendition of it.
A&A | FxF |

Angie

It's good that we have the ground rules, now I won't bring anything that's too off the wall (I'm the guy who, when told we're playing a game about barbarians in the grim north, brings a crazed gunslinger looking for a legendary outlaw). Seeing as how Hades is the one in charge and is viewing this 100% as a business transaction and isn't exactly doing this out of charity (which, he never did in the ancient myths either, he was always kind of a dick but that's Greek gods for you), Elsa is looking less and less attractive unless I can do some crazy finagling.

Who am I kidding, Elsa is always attractive.

Mulan is definitely feeling like my primary choice in all this. PE teacher, perhaps, or would that be the good captain? Student is always possible. And I might play double...since Incredibles is on that list, "Syndrome" could easily be around as a nerdy gadgeteer genius constantly picked on by the other evil characters...maybe even be a little less inclined to evil, but certainly having the possibility for it if he gets stuffed in a locker one too many times.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Supias

Quote from: Angie on June 03, 2017, 12:19:37 PM
I can so see Shan-Yu being the big bully on campus, always looking for a fight and not caring where it comes from. He might try to punch Hades in the face, being a Blood Knight Berserker and all.

Gaston just has to be Captain of the Football Team. No other position can allow him to be that damn narcissistic. No one gets sacked like Gaston, no one goes to 4th down like Gaston...

Since Disney was involved with Kingdom Hearts, I wonder if Cloud or Auron will show up as people who watch over campus, as people like that are the only ones Hades knows can handle people with all these incredible powers. Auron nearly managed to kill Hercules with nothing more then a big fucking sword and a huge jug of booze.

But I'm probably getting a little far afield of what this is focusing on. Come on in people, the world is fine!

Shun would be the troubled kid that skips class but is hanging out in the parking lot just waiting for someone to say something to him.  He's got education on his mind, but only if that education has to do with bloody history, phys ed or art....yeah.  Art.  He's got that kind of scary creativity, the kind that disturbs the teacher enough to show his work to the counselors.  Truth is, he'd probably have been kicked out of most campuses.  Good thing this is for special cases.   Who's his lucky teachers?

Fury Aphrodisia

Yeah, mostly what I meant was that the way I played it would be significantly different from the Disney version, if I chose something I wasn't familiar with the Disney version.

I thought that "good" characters were sort of meant to be lesser in numbers than the villains? Or are we meant to sort of direct the villains and heroes of a particular story to interact heavily with each other?

Part of the concern about all of that could be the fact that there's such a wide array of movies that the likelihood that characters are going to run into their story antithesis is really slim unless we really narrow down the material to draw from.

Either way, I'm going to withdraw my claim on Simba or the witch person until I see a bit more about what other people are making so I'm not creating a character that won't interact well. Still interested, just a little less sure where the group is going with all this.

Mathim

Quote from: la dame en noir on June 03, 2017, 02:27:23 PM
I know this. I'm just letting her know that there are stories/characters that she probably knows and didn't even realize Disney had done a rendition of it.

I figured, and it's just a general statement for everyone's benefit.

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on June 03, 2017, 07:05:21 PM
Yeah, mostly what I meant was that the way I played it would be significantly different from the Disney version, if I chose something I wasn't familiar with the Disney version.

I thought that "good" characters were sort of meant to be lesser in numbers than the villains? Or are we meant to sort of direct the villains and heroes of a particular story to interact heavily with each other?

Part of the concern about all of that could be the fact that there's such a wide array of movies that the likelihood that characters are going to run into their story antithesis is really slim unless we really narrow down the material to draw from.

Either way, I'm going to withdraw my claim on Simba or the witch person until I see a bit more about what other people are making so I'm not creating a character that won't interact well. Still interested, just a little less sure where the group is going with all this.

In an ideal world, we would have both the hero/villain pairings for all the characters being chosen, but that's hardly ever the case so it's just going to be a general 'if I'm good, I'm responsible for steering the bad towards a better path' where identities on either side of the good or bad line are irrelevant. It's up to their personalities and the players if they want to develop close relationships between characters who are otherwise unconnected. But then that's kind of the idea, being that they're all from different worlds.

And the number of heroes to villains varies, so it's not always more one way than another. Although that does offer a ton of possibilities between main characters and sidekicks and other supporting cast.

Kokaine

Seems like we're going to be pretty female heavy but I'm gonna proceed with my character in the hopes that might ease up just a bit.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Fury Aphrodisia

So, who all is playing a villain so far? We have Shan Yu and Ursula, looks like... I can't remember if there was more.

And for heroes, there was Nala, I recall. Possibly Mulan.

Mathim

If no one wants it, I'll be Hades and probably one other character depending on what the first few others choose.

Supias

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on June 03, 2017, 08:12:18 PM
So, who all is playing a villain so far? We have Shan Yu and Ursula, looks like... I can't remember if there was more.

And for heroes, there was Nala, I recall. Possibly Mulan.

There's a Mulan?

Mathim

She was mentioned as a possibility, I don't think anyone's settled definitely on anyone yet, and no one's submitted a character sheet, at any rate.

Angie

Quote from: Supias on June 03, 2017, 08:44:08 PM
There's a Mulan?

Right here. It's been mentioned in my massive posts that double as sleeping aids.

I've still got many ideas, though.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Fury Aphrodisia

Okay... So I'm thinking of doing Scar and Simba as twin brothers. A sort of an odd-couple sort of a deal.

Theo

Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure.

On and off

Supias

Quote from: Angie on June 03, 2017, 10:11:47 PM
Right here. It's been mentioned in my massive posts that double as sleeping aids.

I've still got many ideas, though.

AH!  It was before I had entered the thread.  I didn't even know there was a counterpart to him.  I've just been wanting to play a Khan.  *sighs*  I really am evil.

Mathim

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on June 03, 2017, 10:29:00 PM
Okay... So I'm thinking of doing Scar and Simba as twin brothers. A sort of an odd-couple sort of a deal.

That can be arranged. Simba would of course want to keep close tabs on his wayward uncle and would definitely volunteer to go undercover as a similarly-aged fellow student, though the brother approach is interesting.

If anyone is playing Jafar, I had been itching to play the Genie. I can imagine him being a Magic instructor and trying to get Jafar's reincarnation to stop using dark magic or at least not use it for selfish purposes.

Ron Don Volante

Ideally id like to play a villainess across from their heroic counterpart though not sure how likely that is. I saw someone laying claim to Ursula and I've always been interested in a nasty mean bullying version of Ariel (evil redheads are sexy AF amirite?) But I'm not 100% sure that's the best fit. Failing that I'm wondering if anyone wants to play across anyone in the following gang of evildoers (and one anti-heroine):

Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians)
Queen of Hearts (Alice In Wonderland)
Wicked Stepmother ie Lady Tremaine (Cinderella)
Jessica Rabbit (Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

If anybody is dying to play across one of these gals let me know otherwise I may just roll a die to decide.
My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

AribethAmkiir

I'm tempted to submit a sheet for Maleficent, but I'd be tempted to do some mix of the live action Maleficent movie, the traditional Sleeping Beauty, and Mal from Descendants