I'a Hydra, I'a Dagon, I'a Cthulhu, I'a Pregnant!?! (Lovecraft themed myst/horr)

Started by Sabriel, September 12, 2010, 10:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

I'a Hydra, I'a Dagon, I'a Cthulhu, I'a Pregnant!?!
(Elements: Weirdness)

Our back story revolves around a cult of Dagon/Hyrda/Cthulhu attempting to breed a sort of following of children of the deep ones or other nastyies as well as trying to bring their dark masters into the world themselves. It is this part of the back story that our story will spring from with a victim of the cult who has escaped and eluded its capture being loosed upon the world and an unsuspecting town. She known not what she brings with her or what is in her past and the mystery or horror will unravel before those she meets or be forgotten in the decent of madness.

This group game will be set  in a world similar to our own yet different in its own right. Fictional places, people, events and entities etc the time period will be decided upon depending upon what would be more interesting and favoured by those involved. The place (Ashcroft) a fictional large quite and secluded town by the sea  which will be created for the story.  The story is of a Lovecraft bent and will draw upon the Cthulhu mythos and similar elements, there will be high weirdness horror and insanity but most of all mystery and a search for the truth.

Do you want to know the truth ?

Can you handle the truth ?

Or will you end up as one of the many broken souls who has glimpsed a fraction what waits beyond the veil of sanity waiting for its time.

Our story will begin with a lost and crazed girl turning up in Ashcroft under unusual circumstances,     her presence will put the town in danger through no fault of her own and Ashcroft will never be the same again.  Other players will take on the role of citizens of Ashcroft or people who would involved in the matter.

Example Character Concepts

Please do not come up with daft or concepts which would make the game difficult or silly, I.E while it might be fun to play an actual cultist it is not going to work well in the story. You should make your characters with the idea in mind that you will be all working as a group and in the same boat, you may not like each other and there maybe some conflict but you should at least share some things in common and be able to be in the same room together.

Waiter/Waitress
Reformed Cultist
Private Investigator
Bar Staff
Escaped Mental Patient
Thief
Homeless
Sailor
Housewife
Relative of  “lost girl”
Agent
Antiquarian
Archaeologist
Artist / Musician
Blue-Collar Worker
Criminal
Detective
Dilettante
Doctor / Nurse
Parapsychologist
Priest / Clergy
Professor
Psychologist
Soldier
Technician
White-Collar Worker
Writer / Reporter

Things that will or may be included

(All of these are mostly optional and do not have to be involved with your character, although there will be some effect upon everyone no doubt in one way or another.)

Pregnancy
Infection
Sanity/Madness
Transformation
Elder Gods
Monsters
Cults
Conspiracy
Horror

Everyone may also include some element of uniqueness in there character that further connects them to the story in some way.  This will have to be agreed upon obviously but so long as it fits in with the story and does not cause problems all is good.  It should be something connected obviously and it need not be weird, for example it can be something as simple as having been tracking and searching for the “Lost Girl” for most of her life, either because she is a relative or you are a PI hired by her family or even a rival Cult or other power.

Sanity and states of being

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents… some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.”
H.P. Lovecraft, in “The Call of Cthulhu”

This story will have elements of sanity and states of being there will be consequences for continuously confronting horrors or flouting humanity, what worse some may even feel the touch of madness greater than others and begin to transform into monsters themselves. This is not a one way path and it will be your goal either to halt the progress or give in to it, but you should consider such things when playing. 

Basic Character Outline

QuoteName:
Player:
Job/Role:
Notable traits:
Motivation:
Goals:
Bio:
Other:

We are looking for ideally 3-5 players, currently we have myself and Tad, so there is room for three other players, please ask any questions here or in PM to me if you prefer.

Koyume

Ooh ooh ooh! I would quite likely be interested in joining this, just give me some time to come up with a character; maybe a female cop or private eye or something.

Ironwolf85

maybe I'll throw it in, still... the only thing that bugs me about lovecraft is the bleak worldview it portrays... I can deal with madness and insa nity, and dark powers, but I think he underestimates humanity in his books.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

abandoneddolly

^^ I grew up reading Lovecraft. I soo love this idea. I'm in just give me a bit to ponder what I want to be.

Ironwolf85

I only read shadow over innsmouth... I agreed with the US burning the whole place down and depth charging the deep...
I've heard of the others...
I'll give it a shot, and heck if I go insane... it'll be the die monster die kind till the police shoot me
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Sabriel

Quotemaybe I'll throw it in, still... the only thing that bugs me about lovecraft is the bleak worldview it portrays.

Sorry but I am not going to remove an element of this game that is meant to be there, I am hoping and wanting bleak this is not going to be some happy fun dancing Disney thing.  If you dislike dark, horror, weird and bleak then simple thing to do would be not to join in, the fact you mention this is hardly going to make me select you over someone who does enjoy these elements.

QuoteI think he underestimates humanity in his books.

His books are fiction and I think you underestimate the unknown, horror and true mind breaking terror and probably the authors intentions.

QuoteI'll give it a shot, and heck if I go insane... it'll be the die monster die kind till the police shoot me

No thanks, not what we are looking for.

Please do not respond further to this thread Ironwolf85,  It is clear that you will not be a suitable player for the story and I would rather give the spot to someone invested in the story than someone who dislikes elements involved.  I wish you luck finding a less bleak and more fitting Cthulhu/Rp thingy that fits your views thank you for your interest. 

Sabriel

Please feel free to take you time with making character's and such there is no rush and I myself like to take time when constructing a character ^.^

If there are any questions or such you have please ask away ill try to answer them as best I can without confusing people.

:-)

Gunslinger

*Raises Hand*

I am interested in playing an agent. Not sure what year this role play would take place so I think something like SIS would be appropriate.

Tad

Hey all, I'm one of the other planners on this.  Just had a couple questions for people...  We'd like to get this started, so I was wondering if people could give us more definite versions of character ideas.  If its full enough to fill out the provided character blurb that would be great, but if it isn't please post it any way.  Once we have these in we can start figuring out who knows who and how and what stresses to put on people and all the wonderful little tidbits that will make this game fun. 

Please also include any preferences or dislikes about what you'd like to see happen to your character.  If it isn't mentioned in the list we'll assume you're indifferent.  Refer to the provided list of possible issues that may arise.

Finally, note that since we want a diverse group of characters to be involved in the game, the roles will be doled out first-come-first-serve.  Some of the related character ideas can overlap... such as a PI and a police officer... but we don't want a group of all FBI agents, so please be creative in your choices.
In the process of moving, so posts may be slow
Need an idea?        Ons and Offs

schnookums

Strong interest in this, although the time period remaining currently undetermined does change things (Roles for woman in the 1920's were a bit different then they are now, for example)

Tackyhillbilly

I gotta admit, I'm interested as well.

A Female Reporter who gets in way over her head, and ends up becoming part of the Conspiracy.

List:
I'm pro pretty much anything, but especially pregnancy for this character. I think that would be the ultimate failure of this poor woman who looked into things best left undisturbed.

Koyume

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to drop out; I believe I'm going to be starting up in another one soon and I really don't have much time for RPing these days. I  may end up watching it play out though anyway...

Sabriel

Name: Unknown (Rebecca Edwards)
Player: Sabriel
Description:
Job/Role: Lost girl 
Notable traits: Unusual tattoos/marks, heavily pregnant.
Motivation: Madness, Survival
Goals: To find out who she is, to unravel and make sense of what is going on.
Bio: Rebecca Edwards now 24 years old has been missing to the world from the age of 16 she has no memory except for vague flashes of insight and bizarre visions. Unsure what is real or quite how she got to where she was she walks blindly into life searched for the answers of who she is and seeking to understand the troubling visions and dreams that plague her mind. 
Other: Rebecca Edward's appears heavily pregnant although she seams not to notice or be aware of this at times, her behaviour is known to change from moment to moment as well as her clarity. 

Sabriel

Just thought Id clarify as someone asked me via pm this is not a system game and will be entirely freeform with players, me and Tad deciding the outcome, depending on the importance of actions i.e if it is something between characters the outcome is decided by players involved and neutral party, if it is something relevant to story it will be decided by me and Tad.  If there any questions on this please feel free to ask :)

Zazaz

Name: Edward Wright
Player: MisterG
Description:

Job/Role: Private Investigator
Notable traits: He always wears is hat, and a pack of cigarettes.
Motivation: Curiosity, Job
Goals: Edward's job brought him to Ashcroft, investigating the remnants of a cult. The job was taken from an anonymous individual with some cash paid in advance to ensure commitment.(Is this okay, or is it troublesome?)
Bio: Edward is 33 years old, he has been a semi-successful Private Investigator since he left the police 10 years ago, he accepted the job from the anonymous client because he needed the money.
Other: He needs to smoke a cigarette when he's nervous or pondering about something, he usually doesn't notice that he smokes allot when thinking... Typical macho man and single, loves to court the lady's.

Tad

I believe our year is going to be 1954, though that might change if someone has strong feelings one way or the other.

MisterG, do you have anything you don't want your character subjected to?  Bear in mind that unless you express otherwise your character might become just as pregnant as any female...  >:)

So we have:

Edward Wright       Private Eye        MisterG
Elizabeth Stanton  Reporter           Tackyhillbilly
Rebecca Edwards   Lost girl            Sabriel
??                        ??                    Tad

This means we have space for just one more character!  Anyone else interested, respond asap.

abandoneddolly

Tad

We're gonna need more than that to give you the spot, Dolly.  Please refer back to what I mentioned earlier about what we need. 

Tackyhillbilly, I'd appreciate a more complete bio from you as well when you get the chance.

Tackyhillbilly

Tackyhillbilly

Name: Elizabeth Stanton
Player: Tackyhillbilly
Description: A driven woman, in a male dominated world. She's determined to find the story, the break, that will lift her out of doing penny piece 'woman's' stories, and into the place where the big boys play.
Job/Role: Reporter
Notable traits: Driven, brash, tending toward the naive.
Motivation: Get the story... no matter the cost.
Bio: Only child of a prominent Journalist in the big city, she's known what she wanted to be ever since she was 5 years old. With much wheedling of her dad, she made it through college, only to find places for female reporters are few and far between. She's found a job with Ashcroft's local newspaper, but her eyes are firmly set on escaping it, and making it big.

Tad

abandoneddolly

( I've been going back and fourth between artist and archaeologist for days...so I finnaly decided archaeologist)

Name: Anabell Saron
Player: Abandoneddolly
Description:
Job/Role: Archaeologist
Notable traits: instinct driven,  Always seems to have some sort of book in her hand
Motivation: Knowledge, curiosity. the truth
Goals:To discovery pieces of history that were not known before.
Bio:Anabell  has come to  Ascroft  after getting  an acre of land she thinks she  might find something valuable.  She is hoping to find something as her last two digs had left her empty handed and she is already taking heat from notable scientist. She thinks this might be her last chance to be taken seriously.

Tad

Sounds good to me except for two points.  The first is that TH already took the name 'Elizabeth', and I think that might be a bit confusing to have two in our small party.  The other is that we need to know what you like and dislike from the list in the request post.  Get us those and we should be good to go!

Zazaz

Quote from: Tad on September 17, 2010, 06:26:39 PM
I believe our year is going to be 1954, though that might change if someone has strong feelings one way or the other.

MisterG, do you have anything you don't want your character subjected to?  Bear in mind that unless you express otherwise your character might become just as pregnant as any female...  >:)

So we have:

Edward Wright       Private Eye        MisterG
Elizabeth Stanton  Reporter           Tackyhillbilly
Rebecca Edwards   Lost girl            Sabriel
??                        ??                    Tad

This means we have space for just one more character!  Anyone else interested, respond asap.

QuotePregnancy
Infection
Sanity/Madness
Transformation
Elder Gods
Monsters
Cults
Conspiracy
Horror
I think pregnancy on my character is to be avoided if possible, everything else is cool for me ;)