Justice League - Out of the Shadows Closed

Started by Kadigan, January 22, 2018, 04:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadigan

"The heroes have to win every time. The villain only has to win once."

Everyone knows their names, they saved the world more times than any one person could count, or any sane person would want too. Heroes like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern…often comprising the Justice League but sometimes on their own, they would always be there for us, to save the day. There was no threat to big or small that they couldn’t stop.

Until the one they couldn’t.

Epoch, the Lord of Time was a villain no one gave much thought too. He didn’t crush galaxies like Darkseid, destroy civilizations like Braniac, or threaten loved ones on a daily basis. But how is a villain who can draw upon the greatest armies of past, present, and future, who can learn your strategies by reading a history book, not a threat to be taken seriously? He came with technologies never seen or dreamt of and swept over the land. Any defeat, any setback he vanished and by his perspective had time to prepare retool rethink, and was back within seconds, with a new army.

His initial targets were any hero who could possibly rally those around them. Superman and Wonder Woman were among the first to fall. The Justice Society was next. Then he targeted the most powerful among those left, Flash, Green Lanterns, and Martian Manhunter. There were rumors that Batman and his compatriots were amongst the living, planning and strategizing for when the time was right. But those were just rumors.

Epoch thought the rest would roll over after that, that the ones left would either be demoralized and underpowered to stop him. Instead, something…miraculous happened. The remaining heroes, the C-listers, the losers, the never were’s steeled themselves banded together, and found a resolve that they didn’t know they had. With nothing to lose and the armies of the world at their back, the heroes and heroines did the impossible and turned back the villain, defeating him once and for all.

Many of those that had gathered went their separate ways, but some stayed together to fill the void left by their fallen comrades. Even if they had just gotten lucky once, even if they weren’t ready, even if they weren’t as strong as those before them they had too, they had too. There will always be a need for defenders to rise up and to stand for Justice.

So…I may or may not (May!) have a track record of trying games out where the “other guys” are featured. Don’t get me wrong, playing Wonder Woman can be fun but there’s lots of opportunities for that. I like trying to get other heroes explored, I feel there’s so much more there that can be looked at. This idea is based on a Marvel Team-Up series called “League of Losers.”

If you've ever read Marvel Team up, or Robert Kirkman, he had a fantastic story arc: Basically a villain comes back and slaughters the main marvel heroes and the only ones left to stop him are Darkhawk, Dagger, X-23 (Before she was teh hotness in Marvel) Terror, Nightwalker, etc..and they do! But the sad thing is..no one ever will know.

So I thought about it and thought that DC has as many, if not more, interesting minor characters to be explored and decided to give a similar concept a whirl. Basically take a minor player, a C-Lister, someone who maybe had a 2 issue run somewhere way back when, someone who was the girlfriend, who hasn’t had screen time since the 70s, someone who had a two panel appearance and then never again..and thrust them into the lime light.

I’ve got some help this time, with FoxyOni and BlackStone, and hope to make a go of this. This is just an interest check for now, if there’s enough we’ll look at getting a profile thingy put up.

In terms of characters, I don’t think OC’s and Canons mix terribly well in my opinion so I’d like to personally keep it just Canons. To me, genderswaps are fine as long as you keep the core of the character…and as always..18+ please. If you have a question on if you think a character is the right fit, feel free to message someone and we can discuss it.

To give you an example, the three characters I’m currently considering are Firehawk, La Sangre, and Lady Amethyst. I tend to waffle sometimes on characters and have trouble deciding, so I’m still up in the air. But there’s soooo many to pick from that I hope there’s enough interest.

So a few things I forgot to mention earlier, this will be set during "current" DC times, so after Rebirth. If you want to use elements of New 52 that is fine as well, keep in mind the war with Epoch will have mucked with time a little bit.

[center][b]This is My Character sheet[/b][/center]

[img height=400] [/img]

[b]Player ID:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b] Character name
[b]Alter Ego:[/b]Does your character have a secret identity
[b]Face Claim[/b] (Optional)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Personality[/b]
[b]History[/b]
[b]Powers:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Weapons:[/b] Does character use any weapons
[b]Additional images[/b]

This is My Character sheet. It is Pretty and Shiny

Player ID: BarbaraGordon

Name: Mary Marvel

Alter Ego: Mary Broomfield

Personality Mary is generally fairly easy going, though in terms of criminals she takes a harder line then one would expect. Godly wisdom is often not completely successful in tempering real world experiences. She has a tendency to look out for everyone, as a bit of a den mother of sorts, from years of being in the foster care system. Fiercely protective of the innocent, he does want to believe the best in people though.

History  Mary was born to archaeologists CC and Marilyn Batson and traveled around the world with them until the age of 5. During one trip to the Middle East, her parents had to leave their newborn son in America, while they took their daughter with them. However on this trip, her parents were murdered by an associate. Their care worker managed to escape with Mary and get her safely back to the American embassy, and soon to America. A mistake on the paperwork however changed her last name Broomfield, and she was entered into the foster care system.

She bounced around a few times, before finally ending up with the Vasquez’s. This was a real home at least, better then the rich family who took her in and ignored her after it became untrendy. The eldest in the home, she helped out with the younger kids, becoming something of a mentor to them. When Billy arrived, their lives were tossed about again, as he soon gained, and shared, the powers of the wizard Shazam with them in times of crisis.

Mary adventured for quite some time as Mary Marvel, Billy (Shazam) often desiring a companion to share his abilities with. During these times, they discovered they were siblings, which drew them closer together and finally gave both a sense of family they were looking for. Mary fell, as heroes sometimes do during some of the Crisis’. It took her a long time to recover from that experience, and left her vulnerable to other temptations. She took time after that to fade into the background and attend college, attempting to live a normal life.

During the Epoch Encounter, her brother fell. The Wizard reached out to her again, calling upon her to take the mantel of Mary Marvel once more to help safeguard the earth in the direst of times. Reluctantly she agreed, and was granted the full might of the Wizard. Stronger then she’d ever been before, now that she wasn’t sharing the power, she helped rally the remaining heroes and heroines to the fight against Epoch.

After his defeat, she was approached by a few others and together they decided that someone needed to pick up where the others had left off. That some things couldn’t be done on their own.

Powers:  Mary possesses the full powers of Shazam, which grants her different facets of a pantheon of power. The Wisdom of Solomon grants her increased mental abilities. The Strength of Hercules grants her a demigod’s worth of power, near on level to Superman when not sharing it. The Stamina of Atlas allows her to heal quickly from most wounds, and decrease fatigue toxins and hunger. The Power of Zeus allows her to use the magical lightning that the god himself utilizes. The Courage of Achilles provides her fortitude in times of great peril and also assists her with a resistance to mental attacks. Finally, the Speed of Mercury allows her to travel at superhuman speeds, the upward limits of which she’s not yet measured.

Skills: While transformed Mary can understand and speak most languages instinctually. Mary herself was studying computer science at the time she retook the mantel of Mary Marvel and so she has a working knowledge of computer programming.

Weapons: None

Divine Tenacity

Hmm, I'm interested.

Think Hawkgirl can get in on this action?
Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

Green Goo Theory

I'm assuming it's not only limited to the the last time or frequency of the character's portrayal in the comics but also their power?  I only ask because some oddly Kryptonian or clone (Divine)or child (Equinox) that have been seen just once don't seem like they're the type of character that fits in with this premise.  That's just my opinion though and I want to make sure we're all on the same page. 
Coming soon...

Norsegod1839

Kadigan

So on my iPad so spelling typos and caps beware.

Hawkgirl is a maybe. She's been a major player in both JL/SA over the past few years. I could probably go either way on her to be honest. There are other winged ones and other warrior women too depending on which was the appeal.

As for powers or appearances assuming you're  talking about the girl Equinox and not the guy from brave and bold I didn't see much wrong w her. Divine either though she was portrayed a s evil if I recall.

It's not necessarily a demand that some have x amount of appearances. Or be under a certain power level they could have slipped by epoch by never having stepped up before and not being in the history books. Foxys char idea is a GL so there's that. La Sangre had a 1 panel appearance besides a bit of expo on Shade.

Like I said the basic concept is The Other Guys, Lower Decks, League of Losers, The Forgotten Heroes. let's explore those that get pushed into the background.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on January 22, 2018, 08:51:28 PM

Hawkgirl is a maybe. She's been a major player in both JL/SA over the past few years. I could probably go either way on her to be honest. There are other winged ones and other warrior women too depending on which was the appeal.

As for powers or appearances assuming you're  talking about the girl Equinox and not the guy from brave and bold I didn't see much wrong w her. Divine either though she was portrayed a s evil if I recall.

It's not necessarily a demand that some have x amount of appearances. Or be under a certain power level they could have slipped by epoch by never having stepped up before and not being in the history books. Foxys char idea is a GL so there's that. La Sangre had a 1 panel appearance besides a bit of expo on Shade.

Like I said the basic concept is The Other Guys, Lower Decks, League of Losers, The Forgotten Heroes. let's explore those that get pushed into the background.

Now what about Green Arrow? Since he is kind of big nowadays but used to not be so much?

Also Static Shock? What are your thoughts?

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on January 22, 2018, 08:51:28 PM

Equinox was actually Power Girl's son (or super girl?) that existed in I think only one issue.  It's been years since I've seen it and I couldn't even find a reference to it in the Wiki anymore.  Divine was a "villain" of sorts but totally a lackey to Maxwell.  Could probably go either way.  Not that I want to play her.  I was just using her as an example.  Even if she was super hot.
Coming soon...

Divine Tenacity

I guess I can think of another DC heroine to play that is not as popular, though I do make a good Hawkgirl.

Heads on back to the drawing board.

Norsegod1839

What about Scandal Savage? As a girl choice!

Divine Tenacity

I would have to do a little more research in my spare time to narrow it down, but I compiled a list of heroines that may be suitable:

-Nightstar: Kori and Dick's daughter from Kingdom Come circa 1996? Not sure how I'd swing it.
-Big Barda: Who doesn't like Big Barda?
-Katana: Don't really know too much about her, but hey--kewl samurai sword!
-Star Sapphire: not necessarily Carol Ferris though she is an option too, but another of the Corp. Fatality.

Norsegod1839

I am a huge dick Grayson and Starfire lover!

I was actually going to ask since you mentioned Barbara that Batman might still be activating I was going to maybe do a one armed Dick Grayson or something! If you were up for that?

Foxy DeVille

Dick Grayson is pretty dang far from a minor character. Pretty much if they have they have a TV show, long running solo series, or a regular seat at the JLA round table then its not the sort of character we have in mind. For instance, I'm planning on playing Arisia, who has spent most of her thirty plus years in comics either being a girlfriend or dead in spite of being pretty powerful in her own right and totes adorbs. Think of it as a chance to shine the spotlight on those who have never really had it. Heck, even the Big Bad is a cosmic benchwarmer.

Norsegod1839

Oh I know he isn't! It's just a character idea I had for him as some grizzled future version

BlackStone

Those are some good ideas there Divine, and you are on the right track I believe of what is the spirit of the game.  The concept of the game are we are talking about ideas and heroes through some rhyme, reason, or bad luck, were never popular enough to get their own comic line, appear as a regular in a group comic book, or had a failed comic book line.  So these aren't the heroes who get the masses out there excited to run on over and put in an application.  However, I do believe with the right writer behind it and with the game BG has in mind, to coin the phrase used by Rick Hunter in Legends of Tomorrow, these heroes can be more than such, they can become Legends.

Some ideas I came across in a brief look through.

Maxima
Hourman
Killer Frost (can make the case she reformed)
The Creeper
The Ray
Timothy Hunter as a young adult
Terra
Aquagirl
Vixen
Obsidian

With the right pitch folks could not only make it work, but make it special too.

Divine Tenacity

I also want to throw in the idea of Impulse/ Kid Flash Irey West? Obviously way older than depicted! Maybe she could take up the Flash mantle in her dad's/uncle's name?

Norsegod1839

Quote from: BlackStone on January 22, 2018, 10:02:23 PM
Those are some good ideas there Divine, and you are on the right track I believe of what is the spirit of the game.  The concept of the game are we are talking about ideas and heroes through some rhyme, reason, or bad luck, were never popular enough to get their own comic line, appear as a regular in a group comic book, or had a failed comic book line.  So these aren't the heroes who get the masses out there excited to run on over and put in an application.  However, I do believe with the right writer behind it and with the game BG has in mind, to coin the phrase used by Rick Hunter in Legends of Tomorrow, these heroes can be more than such, they can become Legends.

Some ideas I came across in a brief look through.

Maxima
Hourman
Killer Frost (can make the case she reformed)
The Creeper
The Ray
Timothy Hunter as a young adult
Terra
Aquagirl
Vixen
Obsidian

With the right pitch folks could not only make it work, but make it special too.

Killer Frost is a pretty big main stay though in the comics and so is Vixen Killer Frost via the Flash movie and stuff like Suicide Squad!

Or is TV popularity not counting here?

Green Goo Theory

Coming soon...

BlackStone

Vixen I want to say has only been popular in the last few years, and more from Gina Torres voice acting on the DC animation Justice League International.  Yes she has a show, but it is an an alternative steaming service which I found difficult to access and thus gave up trying.  While she is the first African American to have her own comic line, it did not last long, and since its cancellation in 1978, she ha only had a limited series which ran for 5 issues in 2005.  A case could be made she is the type of hero the game is looking for.   Again a case could be made its not. Up to the GM's.  She would be an on the bubble character.

Norsegod1839

Blue Devil or Hawk and Dove could be fun to... OH SHIT

The question! I love that dude

But we still need to determine the scale of popularity. Killer Frost and even say Vixen I feel would be not bench warmers or even C list at this point! Given their popularity nowadays!

And she may have only been popular in the last few years but that would still at least I feel elevate her above C list or the bench warmer types you guys are talking about.

Divine Tenacity

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on January 22, 2018, 10:17:14 PM
I did always like Risk.

Babs and I were both tempted to be Argent. That Titans group is full of where-are-they-now types. As is the Power Company. And Primal Force. And the Ravers. Sooooo many short-lived team books.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Divine Tenacity on January 22, 2018, 10:21:22 PM
Mmmm, Question. drools

Divine can I count your interest then if I play teh question?

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Foxy Oni on January 22, 2018, 10:22:21 PM
Babs and I were both tempted to be Argent. That Titans group is full of where-are-they-now types. As is the Power Company. And Primal Force. And the Ravers. Sooooo many short-lived team books.

Perfect!  Argent's my fav!  I just hope I don't fuck up Risk. It's been years and I no longer have access to those comics. 

Coming soon...

Divine Tenacity

Dunno, EL. I am still trying to narrow down characters! I can't even begin to get into how intimacy will work out if any happens at all over the course of the RP!

Green Goo Theory

I think it may just be Risk for me.  I don't follow DC as much as I followed Marvel (emphasis on past tense) so I don't know about all the obscure characters. 
Coming soon...