Risk of Rain: Sci-fi Survival [Character Sheets and Worldbuilding Thread Open]

Started by Torterrable, April 27, 2016, 10:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torterrable

Hi anyone and everyone who's interested in joining! Thanks for glancing at the thread. While the title refers to a video game, the actual roleplay is completely distinct, with only the premise being based upon the rogue-like from Chucklefish.

It will probably be Extreme: Exotic, just because of the nature of the world, though.

Story

The premise of the story is a cargo ship crash landing on an unknown planet. The causes of the crash are mysterious, but the results are not. All survivors on the ship are rendered unconscious on impact, though, thankfully, not for very long. The atmosphere of the planet is conducive to most life.

As the band of protagonists awaken, they discover that the world itself seems to be working against them. The dominant life forms on the planet, a primitive lizardman race known as the Lemurians, are already hostile, and mysterious machinations seem to be at work to prevent the intruders from ever leaving the planet again. The large chunk of the ship that lands with the majority of the group has provisions and other important supplies, but offers no way for them to leave the planet or get to safety. Luckily for them, among the ship's diverse and varied payload are teleporters, one of which may help them get off this godforsaken planet. Unfortunately, like the rest of the ship's cargo, the teleporters have been jettisoned out onto the planet.

Bravely, the protagonists must charge forward, guns blazing, camaraderie high, in an attempt to conquer this unknown world and make it off safely, though perhaps forever changed. Along the way, they may discover other unusual opponents, find cargo boxes with treasure or useful items, and dive deeper into the heart of an unforgiving science-fiction planet.

Character and Game Guidelines

As mentioned in a title, this is a science-fiction world and roleplay. However, I am open to many interpretations of science fiction, from Star Wars Lightsabers to Borderlands Slag weaponry. Be any species you want, within reason, and equip your character with anything they may be wearing or have on them at the time of the crash. Overpowered characters will be asked to tone down their power levels a bit. Underpowered characters will have their hands held and be given friends.

The game will be guided and GM'd by yours truly, and I'd love a Co-GM if this picks up any sort of interest at all! The plot will revolve around the characters exploring the world at their own pace and timing; they can decide to go out to search for teleporters immediately, or stay back at the site of the crash to establish a settlement first. There will be certain key locations that events, whether combat or sex or talking, can take place in. A timeline will be loosely enforced. One post a week will probably be the minimum to stay in the game safely.

Smut

The setting doesn't seem very conducive to sex, but don't worry! There will most likely be a side thread where all sex scenes can occur with abandon. How, you may ask, will sex scenes occur in such a forbidding scenario?

Against the backdrop of gritty science fiction, danger, and action, we have characters, who, at heart, are still people. Afraid, perhaps, threatened by the unknown pressing against them from all sides, but still people. People have needs, lusts. Who better to click with than the one who saved your life in the first few days on the planet? What better driving force for sexual interaction than hungry desperation? Take off those suits and fuck like rabbits to forget about the situation, if only for a few hours. While the world seems to be against them, there are a few lovely little pockets...who knows which of these flowers may be an aphrodisiac? Adventuring is sure to leave our protagonists filthy; the nearby lake surprisingly lacks danger, a small pocket of peaceful privacy in an otherwise tense situation.

As GM, I'll try my best to provide locations and items (from the cargo ship) that can help facilitate sexual interactions, but it's up to the players themselves to slam their characters together in hot passion, driven by primal needs.

Character Sheet:
[float=right][img height=400]<image goes here, preferably anime style>[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b] [Can be anything you want, from humanoid, to less so]
[b]Gender/Sexual Preference:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b] [A quick description encompassing anything you want to add here]
[b]Equipment:[/b] [Whatever they have on them. Keep in mind it should be something they actually have on them at the time of the crash, as the crash jettisons them without any other luggage]
[b]Personality:[/b] [How does your character behave?]
[b]Background:[/b] [Who is your character? Why is your character on the ship? What's behind that character?]

[b]Special Abilities:[/b] [Telekinesis? Engineering Expert? Deadeye? Perfect lover? Anything you want to add goes here]

[b]Ons:[/b]
[b]Offs:[/b]

Vonandi

I'm interested, I've actually played this game though I never got very far I like the idea of trying a RP in that setting

Torterrable

Quote from: Ithnuul on April 28, 2016, 09:02:24 PM
I'm interested, I've actually played this game though I never got very far I like the idea of trying a RP in that setting

Yay! Thank you for your interest. The game is really fun, especially with friends, though I wish they'd fix some of the issues with it.

IrishWolf

Torterrable

Quote from: IrishWolf on April 29, 2016, 06:54:13 PM
Interested and I'm going to keep my eye on this.

Yay! More interest!

Out of curiosity, do either of you have any idea what kind of characters you'd like to play?

Chreestafer

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Torterrable

Quote from: Chreestafer on April 29, 2016, 08:58:40 PM
Interested yes :)

Awesome, thanks for your interest!

Also, worldbuilding thread here! I'll try my best to work on it over the next week or so.

Edit To Add: I will be basing most of what I write there on what I've inferred from the game, but I welcome all sorts of input! Feel free to post there.

IrishWolf

Quote from: Torterrable on April 29, 2016, 07:47:17 PM
Yay! More interest!

Out of curiosity, do either of you have any idea what kind of characters you'd like to play?

I'm of a few minds. This cargo ship, would it just have crew aboard or would it also have carried passengers?

Torterrable

Quote from: IrishWolf on April 30, 2016, 03:15:24 PM
I'm of a few minds. This cargo ship, would it just have crew aboard or would it also have carried passengers?

There could be a few passengers, possibly in cryogenic sleep.

IrishWolf

Alright, here's a character concept I've never seen in a survival game before, ship's cook.

He survived because the galley is surrounded by storage and freezers, protecting it somewhat during the crash. While at first, he doesn't seem like an asset to the other survivors, no wilderness skills, he doesn't know how to build anything but he does have some very important skills. Because the ship had a multi-species crew, he's had to invest in some gear (be it something like a tricorder or a pip-boy) to test ingredients, to make sure their safe for the various members of the ship's company. Plus, he loves trying out new ingredients, every time the ship made port, he was always out buying local things, so he's comfortable using strange fruits, vegetables and meats. And sometimes, the best way to keep meats, is to keep them fresh, so he knows how to butcher an animal and he's good with his knives.

Torterrable

Quote from: IrishWolf on April 30, 2016, 04:21:03 PM
Alright, here's a character concept I've never seen in a survival game before, ship's cook.

He survived because the galley is surrounded by storage and freezers, protecting it somewhat during the crash. While at first, he doesn't seem like an asset to the other survivors, no wilderness skills, he doesn't know how to build anything but he does have some very important skills. Because the ship had a multi-species crew, he's had to invest in some gear (be it something like a tricorder or a pip-boy) to test ingredients, to make sure their safe for the various members of the ship's company. Plus, he loves trying out new ingredients, every time the ship made port, he was always out buying local things, so he's comfortable using strange fruits, vegetables and meats. And sometimes, the best way to keep meats, is to keep them fresh, so he knows how to butcher an animal and he's good with his knives.

Funny you should mention it, one of the playable characters in Risk of Rain is actually the Cook.

Sounds good! Feel free to fill out a character sheet (located in the first post above)

Vonandi

I have an idea of a character who is combat orientated but was badly wounded in the crash, making her able to barely use a handgun for the time being. Sort of as a yang to someone like the cook who doesn't have combat training but unlike her still has full use of their body so she could give instructions and supporting fire to help the people who wouldn't otherwise know what they are doing in a fight. That is of course if everyone else is OK with that sort of thing being introduced. I'm sort of hesitant to go though with the idea however seeing as if a proper combat oriented character shows up she becomes a burden and totally pointless.

Torterrable

Quote from: Ithnuul on May 02, 2016, 08:38:28 PM
I have an idea of a character who is combat orientated but was badly wounded in the crash, making her able to barely use a handgun for the time being. Sort of as a yang to someone like the cook who doesn't have combat training but unlike her still has full use of their body so she could give instructions and supporting fire to help the people who wouldn't otherwise know what they are doing in a fight. That is of course if everyone else is OK with that sort of thing being introduced. I'm sort of hesitant to go though with the idea however seeing as if a proper combat oriented character shows up she becomes a burden and totally pointless.

I personally like the idea. It would be good to have someone with legitimate combat experience. However, the issue is she can't be either too passive as to be useless, or too overburdening as to be irritating to those who could harm her.

Chreestafer

Still interested

Yet is it pertinent to have played the game? As I have not.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Torterrable

Quote from: Chreestafer on May 03, 2016, 07:40:40 AM
Still interested

Yet is it pertinent to have played the game? As I have not.

Definitely not! It's only very loosely based upon the game