What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formless

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 15, 2018, 04:21:17 PM
Forgive my pedantry, but it isn't even a prayer. It just means "God is the greatest" & you can say it any time you're happy about anything. I heard an interview with a Muslim guy who said something along the lines of "I say it when I bite into a really good kebab, I said it when my beloved Cavs beat the Golden State Warriors".

Yeah, it can be used as a show of gratefulness towards god for something that happens.

But Mainly, when said in a prayer, its an acknowledgement of God's absolute power and presence.

Tolvo

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/forest-fires-cannot-melt-steel-beams-deadly-california-disasters-give-birth-new-qanon-conspiracy-theory/

Huh this forest fire has gotten out of hand. Allegedly antifa are firing orbital lasers at trees and bridges so they can help make a path for construction. I guess living in California is like being in Warhammer 40k. Sounds very true, there's photos and everything of what look like lasers(Something which are normally invisible).

Actually does this count as news to just let people know there is some dumbass 100% false conspiracy theory going around about "High Frequency Energy Weapons" being used by protesters from space? Or that people still don't understand that metals buckling is not the same as them melting.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Tolvo on November 15, 2018, 05:17:34 PM
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/forest-fires-cannot-melt-steel-beams-deadly-california-disasters-give-birth-new-qanon-conspiracy-theory/

Huh this forest fire has gotten out of hand. Allegedly antifa are firing orbital lasers at trees and bridges so they can help make a path for construction. I guess living in California is like being in Warhammer 40k. Sounds very true, there's photos and everything of what look like lasers(Something which are normally invisible).

Actually does this count as news to just let people know there is some dumbass 100% false conspiracy theory going around about "High Frequency Energy Weapons" being used by protesters from space? Or that people still don't understand that metals buckling is not the same as them melting.

+1. No matter how much evidence is presented or how well the argument most of them will just plug their ears and declare it part of the conspiracy. Those taken by that madness are lost. We just need to make sure more people don't just automatically drinkt he coolaid.

Tolvo

"Now Witness the Firepower of this fully Armed and Operational Battle Station!" - Karl Marx

I know people like to call us antifascists the real fascists but I didn't really expect us to just build a Death Star.

I've actually wondered about making a Conspiracy Theories Thread for discussing them and which ones are actually funny like the "Africa and Asia are the same place" theory and others, but also I dunno if that's be anything more than just laughing at stuff we think is dumb and people possibly posting ones members believe in and starting arguments.

legomaster00156

If liberals had access to the Death Star's superlaser, why the hell would they point it at California?  ???

Sara Nilsson

to make way for some road/railroad thingy. My brain died halfway through

Oniya

And why destroy bridges to 'make way for construction'?  How are you going to get your construction materials to the site without bridges?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2018, 05:42:10 PM
And why destroy bridges to 'make way for construction'?  How are you going to get your construction materials to the site without bridges?

My friend Z, she used for telling me, “Don’t try understanding the crazy people. It only makes your brain hurt”.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: The Lovely Tsarina on November 15, 2018, 05:53:32 PM
My friend Z, she used for telling me, “Don’t try understanding the crazy people. It only makes your brain hurt”.

Very wise words!

Tolvo

I wonder what would happen if someone posted the Independence Day gif to their Facebook going "Antifa have destroyed the White House! Our country is in disarray, the Army is scrambling and Martial Law has been declared!"

Oh yeah in other news the White House wants to trade away US citizens for political favors from other countries such as giving an enemy of Erdogan to Turkey to presumably be executed if they stop investigating the torture and murder by Saudi Arabia of a journalist. So you know that's where the USA is politically.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-fethullah-gulen-turkey-khashoggi-experts-stunned-2018-11?utm_source=reddit.com

Sara Nilsson

How in the eveloving FUCK is that ok?! How are people not up in arms about it? Republican lawmakers? anything? crickets? wtf...

I hope Mr Gulen is heading for the hills and hiding away. If I where him I wouldn't trust the US government anymore. Probably head for Canada.

That is.. I am so fucking livid right now I don't have words.

Shameful display!!!!!!!!!!

Sara Nilsson

oh.. and remember the NJ couple and the homeless veteran and the gofund me page? The one where people where upset the couple stole the money?

Weeeeell.. it turns out. it is all probably made up. And the three of them just started fighting over the money. Ie, the whole story was a lie for them to get rich.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/us/couple-homeless-man-gofundme/index.html

Avalon29

https://www.apnews.com/5df375791dba4ce2bd8bf2df1be5f0d1

In 2016 Maine voters voted to have a ranked voting system snd this is the first election it’s being used in for them. A Republican congressional candidate is  suing to stop the vote counting for the second round since there was no clear majority in the first round. He says that he’s sueing it on its constitutionality but given that it’s possible that the second place votes for those who voted for the two 3rd party candidates might push his opponent to victory I doubt that constitutionality has anything to do with ranked voting. It’s probably more likely he’s just suing to try to give himself  the victory since he was ahead after the counting of the first place votes but still not enough to give him a majority.

https://www.apnews.com/4e39c8ed1e5d46edb1b8a8ddadb57d91

A judge today refused to stop the count however. Although he didn’t rule on the constitutionality so the case is still alive.

legomaster00156

Strange that the legal challenge only comes when the Republican loses, instead of when the law was signed in 2016.

Regina Minx

Quote from: legomaster00156 on November 15, 2018, 08:11:38 PM
Strange that the legal challenge only comes when the Republican loses, instead of when the law was signed in 2016.

The US doesn’t have a system whereby you can ask a court for an advisory judgement. That is, you can’t just file a lawsuit just to ask “is this constitutional?”  You need to have standing. You have to be able to demonstrate that the law is harming you or depriving you of your rights under the state or federal constitution.

legomaster00156

Quote from: Regina Minx on November 15, 2018, 08:28:59 PM
The US doesn’t have a system whereby you can ask a court for an advisory judgement. That is, you can’t just file a lawsuit just to ask “is this constitutional?”  You need to have standing. You have to be able to demonstrate that the law is harming you or depriving you of your rights under the state or federal constitution.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the dumb standing clause.

Lustful Bride

Tolvo

I hope it sets more of a precedence about online harassment and stalking. I've dealt with quite a lot of it and it sucks when people post photos of your dogs online with your address with cross hairs put over your dogs' heads saying "Shoot to kill" while posting diagrams for pipe bombs and coordinating bombing your house "As a joke" and things while getting constantly threatened, then for the cops to go "Just turn off the internet then you won't see it anymore."

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Regina Minx on November 15, 2018, 08:28:59 PM

Wasn't the Affordable Healthcare Act declared constiutional by the SUpreme Court? What was the standing there for the people who brought that case before the court?

Regina Minx

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on November 15, 2018, 11:40:36 PM
  Wasn't the Affordable Healthcare Act declared constiutional by the SUpreme Court? What was the standing there for the people who brought that case before the court?

The standing was that the coalition of businesses challenging the law under the banner organization of "The National Federation of Independent Businesses" faced a financial penalty if they did not comply with the insurance coverage mandate. "Hey the government is going to make me pay money in the form of a fine if I do X/don't do X" is standing.

RedRose

Drama over black/face traditional character. I grew up hearing about him as Père Fouettard (whipping father) punishing naughty children... https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/11/15/world/social-issues-world/bid-ban-black-pete-pre-christmas-character-rejected-dutch-court/
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Tolvo

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/transphobes-attack-charity-comic-relief-for-celebrating-a-trans-woman/#gs.=uDgYcc

So charity for supporting women is being targeted for choosing Lili Elbe a very famous trans woman as someone to talk about for their Women Wednesday's. A inspiring and tragic figure who was one of the first women to publicly transition and who died due to an attempted uterus transplant(Which was nowhere near possible at that time). I saw this myself going on after the writer of the IT Crowd, Father Ted, and many other comedies, Graham Linehan, was directing his many TERF followers after the charity. He does this a lot and last month did get in some legal trouble for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/oct/07/graham-linehan-police-warning-complaint-by-stephanie-hayden-transgender-activist-twitter

This happens quite a lot whenever there are any charities that choose to be supportive of transgender people. People swear to stop supporting it or attempt to get them shut down, such as the many cases of trying to shut down shelters for rape victims when they take in transgender people. In most cases these attempts though completely fail.

gaggedLouise

In one of his weirdest moments yet, Donald Trump is trying to take credit for...the Democrat takeover of the House, and Nancy Pelosi about to become speaker.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1063758107229257728

I'm not sure what kind of ironic point Trump is trying to make here - is he saying "if you believe I colluded with the Russians you might as well believe that I bought Pelosi her victory, by herself she and her party would not have stood a chance, guys!"?  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Something non gun related: I seriously didn't know that Private Firefighters were a thing. I knew companies and the super rich can hire their own cops and mercs and doctors but not firefighters. Honestly should have seen it coming.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/kim-kardashians-private-firefighters-expose-the-fault-lines-of-america/ar-BBPItgS?ocid=spartandhp

Tolvo