What can change the nature of a man?

Started by Jefepato, April 28, 2006, 11:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

This question has stuck in my head ever since I played through Planescape: Torment.  So, Elliquiy-ers, what do you think?

ZK

Certain strong events can shape a man or a woman to their current state, but it is the person which changes themselves.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Natalie C. Barney

Master genetic cloning so men aren't needed anymore. Then woman can conquer the Earth.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

ZK

Bah, cloning would get lame as people would be copies of one another. I prefer diversity, as does nature.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

TheoTheBard

Quote from: Z.K. on April 28, 2006, 01:37:50 PM
Bah, cloning would get lame as people would be copies of one another. I prefer diversity, as does nature.

Right.  Not to mention that giving any group or corporation the power to mass-produce people would be very bad.  Brave New World, anyone?  Gattaca gave another good view of a related idea of screening people based on genetics.

Natalie C. Barney

Who said corporations just the technology to take one womans genes combine with a partner and make a unique sweet little girl baby, then we don't need men anymore.  ;D

Not cloning more taking out the need for sperm. And what's wrong with Brave New World seems to me their system worked and pretty much everyone was happy?
Natalie Clifford Barney

TheoTheBard

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on April 28, 2006, 03:58:57 PM
Who said corporations just the technology to take one womans genes combine with a partner and make a unique sweet little girl baby, then we don't need men anymore.  ;D

Not cloning more taking out the need for sperm. And what's wrong with Brave New World seems to me their system worked and pretty much everyone was happy?

Happy?  Perhaps.  Thoroughly dehumanized?  Yes.  From where I sit, part of the human condition is weakness.  Fallibility.  Imperfection.  Challenges to overcome, and adversity to confront.  A perfectly engineered world takes all that away.

Natalie C. Barney

You mean the major problem is men. Face it with modern advances there is only one thing women need men for and science hopefully can take care of that in the future. Can you give me one thng men do that women can't and don't say make war we all know men are great at breaking things and killing what women produce from their bodies if you take away baby making?

I think that's why men are afraid of cloning we perfect it and the related technologies we won't need them anymore.

Natalie Clifford Barney

Swedish Steel

Bah. Stop trying to remove men from the reproductive cycle and we'll stop trying to invent those artificial wombs, ok? I think a world without either men or women would be a far less interesting world.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

TheoTheBard

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on April 28, 2006, 04:19:29 PM
You mean the major problem is men. Face it with modern advances there is only one thing women need men for and science hopefully can take care of that in the future. Can you give me one thng men do that women can't and don't say make war we all know men are great at breaking things and killing what women produce from their bodies if you take away baby making?

I think that's why men are afraid of cloning we perfect it and the related technologies we won't need them anymore.

If we go the Brave New World route, technically women won't be needed either.  No one will be "needed" except those in power, who will have a blank check to dispose of any who get in their way.

And we've had ideologies driven by scapegoating a single group of people for all the world's problems before.  Never worked out worth a damn, usually required a lot of "killing what women produce from their bodies" to put down.  We're all human.  We're all part of the world's problems and part of their solutions, too.

Natalie C. Barney

It doesn't matter nature clearly is tipping things to our side the birth rates alone in the industrialized world favor girl babies and we are the gender advancing with college degrees and on other fronts- one way or another women will have the power in a hundred years. Heck we can't do much worst running things than the men and I bet we do much better. Maybe Gaia decided that its time for new management. LOL  ;)

Natalie Clifford Barney

Swedish Steel

I am cynical enough to believe that there is only one reason we haven't seen that many wars started by women: they haven't been in the position to do so. The more equal we get and the more women we see in power, the more we will realize we aren't that different after all. Can you say Maggie Thatcher? I knew you could. :) We will see more wars started by women, if that is something to strive for, only they might be started for other reasons than the usual ones. Like the Primeminister of England wearing the same dress as the American president to a UN party. :)

On Off page:

Jefepato

Well, we're zero posts closer to knowing what can change the nature of a man, but at least we know what can change the nature of a thread.

EDIT: My mistake.  ZK did in fact address the question at hand.

Moondazed

*grin*  My two cents:  We all grow up in a certain environment, no matter what it is, and we all have preconceived notions about various things (the nature of people, our purpose in life, our goals).  I think that a fundamental change to one of those notions can change the nature of a man, for better or worse.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Natalie C. Barney

Science- its clear our skills at invention and technology are what drives humanity.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Moondazed

I respectfully disagree... sure science has an effect on things, but I don't think it can drastically change a man's 'nature'.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

GothicFires

No getting rid of men... I like them... lots...

I would rather think, at least from the way i live my life that emotion drives humanity regardless if the emotion is positive (love, compassion) or negative (hate, greed). Invention and technology are just byproducts of intelligence.

As for what changes the nature of a man, it is really to broad of a question to pin point... Loss, love, joy, birth, death. It is nature to evolve and have your philosophy change as you gain life experience. At one point in life you can say i am definitely this way then 10 years down the road suddenly realize that you have changed, but the change occured gradually
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Swedish Steel

This might be a bit of a cliche, but I hear having a kid can change a man. Don't know if that's true myself, but it's what I've heard.

On Off page:

TheoTheBard

Quote from: Swedish Steel on April 28, 2006, 06:28:10 PM
This might be a bit of a cliche, but I hear having a kid can change a man. Don't know if that's true myself, but it's what I've heard.

I agree with that...most people I know who have kids find their outlook changed.  Won't necessary turn an asshole into a saint, by any means, but it does change.

And people can change for other reasons.  I had a grandfather who was a dyed-in-the-wool conservative prick.  And when I say that, I'm talking voted for George Wallace, proud member of the JBS, and marched to support the Vietnam War conservative.  He "found Jesus" in the early '80s, totally changed and reconciled with the rest of his family.  You wouldn't have known it was the same man, I swear.  He died eleven years ago this July.

Elvi

I think I would rather keep the men thankyou.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Max

I vote we keep men.  But then, I am a guy, so....   :)

And, let's keep women too. 
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Lyria

Things are so much more interesting with both men and women around.

Don't take my men away, please?
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Swedish Steel

Oh, and I also vote for keeping the cats. I like cats.

On Off page:

ZK

Honestly Natalie, please, calm down with the pseudo-sexism. Sure, this site is ran by women, but we are no sexists. Jefepato asked a question and wanted a response, man is usually used as a generic term for "a person" as well as "woman". It goes with the she and he that a lot of people use to describe genderless beings.

(like roleplaying manuals for a while. Some have "He/him and others have she/her".

Please, keep it safe, civil and such...as for my opinion. If you want to hate something... don't hate everything. Don't be discrimitive. Hate isn't. Hate is pure chaos, pure and simple. Evil too. :D

Violet Maui

Quote from: Swedish Steel on April 28, 2006, 08:21:24 PM
Oh, and I also vote for keeping the cats. I like cats.

SS just got my vote. >:3 We'll keep the cats too! Rats I could do without.

As for the men; if we were to take the opposite stance of science, isn't it that Adam came before Eve? Thus he has every right to stick around.

::Isn't religious, just remembers that from.. Everyone else.:: e_e;
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me. So tie me up and throw me down, to show me that you like me."

Offs & Ons :: PM if interested!