Viruses, worms, Trojans.. Eh?

Started by Saerrael, August 28, 2010, 06:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saerrael

Right, I think I've picked up something. I'm sure my highly outdated Explorer didn't just evolve into some mutant. It's currently opening up random pages on the internet. I ran avast!, but it doesn't pick up anything at all, asides that whatever is going 'round, it trying to DL other crap as well. Which is getting blocked, by the way.
I've been looking in my PC for recent downloads, but so far I've only found legit things.

Now I'm not very familiar with all of this and can honestly say I have no idea what to do to either find this thing, whatever it is, and kill it, or just swipe the whole PC and begin anew. Prob is, the latter will cost me a lot of information and happily installed programs that might take up to a day or two to reinstall.
As you can guess, I rather not swipe unless I have no other options left.

Any help at all that doesn't become too technical will be highly appreciated.

*is currently studying http://antivirus.about.com/od/virusdescriptions/Latest_Malware_and_Vulnerabilities.htm*

Marguerite

Do you get IE opening up a slew of them and overtaking your screen where it is hard to click them all into exit? If so, that is definitely a trojan virus that attached itself. I had it on the desktop and on my laptop with IE.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Saerrael

No, just one at a time. The interval seems pretty random as well.

Marguerite

Hmm, it could still be a trojan and you can extract it by a few free adware/spyware programs. I think it was mentioned in another thread.

Marguerite

Here we go:

download.cnet.com/

From there, you can download some free and other trail software. You can get the one you need to sweep and remove any lingering trojans.

Saerrael

Currently running a spyware search. Will do that next. Thanks, love.

Marguerite

Saerrael

I will also need some program to remove no longer used programs. I can recall there being one, but just can not recall what it was named. *rolls eyes*
Found it.

My scan came up with a lot of cookies of the most naughty kind and one thing that got qualified as downloaderware, by the way.

Update : Kicked Trojans and virusses, still have spyware and the such.
Wondering what program would catch all of the spyware or if I'm forced to buy SpyHunter >.<

Oreo

Vekseid has a wealth of helpful information and links to recommended anti-spyware HERE. Tips for keeping your PC healthy. I use Spybot and Malwarebytes.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Saerrael

Quote from: Oreo on August 28, 2010, 09:25:17 PM
Vekseid has a wealth of helpful information and links to recommended anti-spyware HERE. Tips for keeping your PC healthy. I use Spybot and Malwarebytes.

Yeah, I used Malwarebytes, but it didn't pick up the spyware unfortunately.
I'm a bit hazed at the moment, though. I think I have to give it a rest for when I can focus again. Will look into getting rid of the spyware when I can focus again.

Almost forgot. I got rid of the thing that opened random pages. At least, it hasn't happened again. I'll keep an eye on it, though. Was probably one of those Trojans.

Oreo

Glad to hear it seems to be under control. :D

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Saerrael

Does look that way, yes :)
Not seeing anything pop anymore and I've been watching like a hawk. Do want to get rid of the rest, but seems less pressing ^^

Loving Elli again for the support coming out of the walls in time of need.

Revolverman

Spyware search and destroy works really well.

Saerrael

Quote from: Revolverman on August 29, 2010, 12:49:43 AM
Spyware search and destroy works really well.

Spybot?
I'll try it after sleep. It's way past my bedtime.

Oniya

I think Spybot registers Avast as a false positive - either that, or Avast registers Spybot as a false positive.  It's a minor inconvenience, but one that you should be aware of if using both together.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Scott

My AVG expired and I got that "ESET" Veks recommended. It found 15 things (2 trojans) that AVG missed and my computer wasn't even acting stupid of anything. I know it's 60 a year, but that's still cheaper than a new operating system. 

Saerrael

Quote from: Oniya on August 29, 2010, 02:07:54 AM
I think Spybot registers Avast as a false positive - either that, or Avast registers Spybot as a false positive.  It's a minor inconvenience, but one that you should be aware of if using both together.

Yeah, I kicked avast!, to be honest. If it's that blind, it's just taking up space I rather use for something that does do it's job ;)

Anyway! I used Spybot S&D and can say I got the other junk. *fistpumps*
Pretty sure I still have cookies, but nothing serious. I also upped my cookie protocols and the such.

My PC's considerably faster and I feel a lot more safe >.>

Oniya

Cookies are not necessarily a bad thing.  If you don't mind my asking, what did you put in to take Avast's place?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Saerrael

Microsoft Security Essentials, Oniya. I'm also keeping Malwarebytes and Spybot.

And I know not all cookies are bad. But some are, and some of those have been kicked quite nicely ;)

Alexander

Malwarebytes is amazing. I had a really nasty trojan that I couldn't get rid of until I got that. Worst virus I have ever had, and because of the misery it caused me for 2 solid days, I will never forget the name of it.... -.-

Soran

If all else fails...Bitdefender total security...yeah, you have to pay, but if you have something nasty, you can use the 30 free trial, lose the 'whatever' then put essentials back on.

Lind

If you have worries about opening a file... http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-GB

HiJack this is good for finding processes that could be potentially harmful, and if you ever suspect you have a virus, log on to safe mode and use all the scanners you have.
"It's not what you are, it's what you want to be."

My on and off's
https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=16973