News:

Main Menu

Walking Dead

Started by Kaizen, November 06, 2010, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaizen

I cannot begin to convey how awesome the first episode was.  This series has great potential.

AMC Sunday nights @ 10 (est)

Open for discussion.

Jag

I loved the first episode and I'm excited for the new one tonight. ^^
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Ryven

Yes! Me too!  I can't wait! ;D

Kaizen

I already hate his partner... the douche making moves on his wife.

8 more hours to wait... it can't get here soon enough.

Star Safyre

I hate how I can't watch it when it shows.  Damn you, 5 am wake-up time!

SPOILERS... in case you didn't watch the first hour yet(?)

Actually, I feel sympathetic toward the partner.  Before the dead started walking, he had a girlfriend even if they did have a few minor issues.  She's probably dead or left him during the chaos.  He and the wife are rightfully assuming he's dead, so they've clung to each other for physical and emotional survival, even being self-aware enough to hide their possibly confusing sexual relationship from the son.  I think the partner honestly wants to take care of his partner's wife and son, not really just taking advantage of the situation.

Then again, if they'd been fooling around before the shooting, they're both douche bags.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Izu

Hm... Am I the only one who is not all that thrilled? I mean... it started like both 28 Days Later and Resident Evil and it had nothing surprising... I know that it is based on a comic book, so no idea who stole from whom the idea, but it's just the next (same) zombie story. I just hope that they will add something interesting to the plot - twists, surprises... You know... Something that will make me remember the series once it's over.

Btw - I read somewhere that it is going to be more of a mini-series - about 6-10episodes. Not sure if it's true though.

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Star Safyre

Quote from: Izu on November 07, 2010, 12:40:38 PM
Btw - I read somewhere that it is going to be more of a mini-series - about 6-10episodes. Not sure if it's true though.

I've heard the same thing.  Hard to imagine them only doing that many episodes with so many pages of material to work from. 

Kaizen

Quote from: Star Sapphire on November 07, 2010, 12:29:44 PM
I hate how I can't watch it when it shows.  Damn you, 5 am wake-up time!

SPOILERS... in case you didn't watch the first hour yet(?)

Actually, I feel sympathetic toward the partner.  Before the dead started walking, he had a girlfriend even if they did have a few minor issues.  She's probably dead or left him during the chaos.  He and the wife are rightfully assuming he's dead, so they've clung to each other for physical and emotional survival, even being self-aware enough to hide their possibly confusing sexual relationship from the son.  I think the partner honestly wants to take care of his partner's wife and son, not really just taking advantage of the situation.

Then again, if they'd been fooling around before the shooting, they're both douche bags.

I think the partner had the hots for the wife before the outbreak... they very well could have had an affair going.  The guy just has a sleezy vibe about him.  I also think he's trying to be the chief indian among the group of survivors.

Quote from: Izu on November 07, 2010, 12:40:38 PM
I mean... it started like both 28 Days Later and Resident Evil and it had nothing surprising...

I can't argue that, but there is a different story, one other than OMG zombies... RUN away!!!  This story introduces an element most other movies in the genre are missing, character background and development.

Dizzi

1: I've read the first three comics.  I believe that the mini seriesw will end somewhere within there
2: they have already been picked up for a second season
4: The first episode was leaked online like, two weeks early haha.  I saw it and it was goood

Ryven

Where did you see that it was picked up for a second season?  Can you give me a link?

Hunter

It had a nice twist of a beginning but quickly fell into the feeling of 'yet another zombie movie'.

Kaizen

Yep, the partner and the wife are both scuz...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kaizen on November 08, 2010, 06:50:40 AM

I get the vibe that when things went to hell the partner took advantage and took off with the wife and left him behind. I mean who leaves a friend in a coma in an hospital to be eaten?

Kaizen

I'm thinking that he convinced her that her husband died. 

Star Safyre

Quote from: Kaizen on November 08, 2010, 01:58:01 PM
I'm thinking that he convinced her that her husband died.

Seeing the state of that hospital, it wouldn't take much to convince me, honestly.

Inkidu

I have a few qualms with the show. Sure not every zombie fiction has to adhere to the rules but they had a zombie climbing a ladder. I'm pretty sure that's a no-no. Secondly I saw one with a rock. Now, I'm all for they hold onto stuff they had in hand when they died, but who dies clutching a big old two handed rock?

I like the plot now. I hope the partner and his wife and that whole stupid little camp gets eaten? Seriously, how do you call that defensible? I only hope they have the gall to kill of a likable character. That would be unconventional writing.

Spoiler

What I like is when they left the white-supremacist up on the roof to die. Sure it was an accident, but at least it wasn't a stereotypical "Lets kiss and make up" kind of deal that you usually see. That was risky plot development.

End Spoiler.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

AtlasEros

I thought the first ep was really good, I'm looking forward to watching the second. 

On a related note, I started playing a TT RPG with some friends called All Flesh Must be Eaten which you take on the roll of characters much like those in the mentioned show.
O/O

Kaizen

I think that most of the tough criticism is coming from zombie genre fans... It should be kept in mind that the show is meant for a much broader mainstream audience, so some things gotta give.  I think they have done a wonderful job in finding a good balance of storytelling and other elements (such as makeup/special effects and gore) so far.  I would love to see more horror and suspense.

LIAR

I didn't like the first episode. I thought it was a stupid sort of slow and it set up the same old story (but let's face it, how many ways can you tell a zombie story?) But I kept watching because my main interest was that it was a show! Character development inc, and they'll really delve into the struggles. Yeah, the first episode was same ol' boring thing, but I believe I'll enjoy the series greatly. I totally dug ep 2.

Inkidu

I love zombies and no plot gets boring to me but I would like to see the start of a major outbreak. They never do that. People escaping a rioting city. There's always time skips and Walking Dead is no exception. I would actually like to see more focus on zombies and un-savvy survivors going on instinct but Walking Dead doesn't deliver that either. All the people are zombie survival experts. La sigh...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MasterMischief

The 28 Days After rip off had me very skeptical to begin with.  I am enjoying the character development though.

ausyandy

I loved the first two episodes.

Quote from: Kaizen on November 08, 2010, 06:50:40 AM

I hate that woman sooooo much. She sure was quick to move on. I can't wait to see what will happen when they meet up.

Ryven

Did anyone else want to pitch the racist off the roof? >.>

I would have.  I mean, they needed a distraction, right?

MasterMischief

Quote from: Ryven on November 11, 2010, 08:57:14 AM

I certainly thought his continued existence was a liability to the group.

Kaizen

Quote from: Ryven on November 11, 2010, 08:57:14 AM

They could not have found a better actor to fill the role. 

I don't balme the man, I blame his upbringing... (lol)

But he could be a valuable asset to the group.  He's an amazing shot, taking headshots freehand while standing on the edge of a roof (it's always windy on roofs) - one aspect of TV that I despise, everyone can shoot like a pro...