Seeking Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD, lots custom rules)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, April 08, 2015, 05:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

The original recruit thread is in here (all relevant chargen rules in first post).

Anycase seeing how fun and succesful the concept is, more so when came idea that players can 'GM' each other's thread while I hold reins in the main plot threads and such. So I seek more candidates for this game format :). As note you need to be well familiar with the system (but welcome people who are new as our players gladly give advice and suggestions and so on). Last time one player dropped out as he felt 'he felt he was not well familiar with system to play this', even if we offered to help him and talked that his char concept was functional and good :P. But thought give it warning for those new or less familiar may feel overwhelmed in this game where there is lots mechanics going on for it.

However if not scared by that, feel free post questions and I or the players will answer them.

Kunoichi

Hello everyone, I'm one of the players in Zaer's game.  Have you ever wanted to play in a high-powered, higher-leveled D&D game?  Have you ever wanted to play a character powerful enough to bring nations to their knees, powerful enough to make even the gods wary of challenging them?  Did you ever look through the Epic Level Handbook and think to yourself that it was a pity that you'd never get the chance to try out the Paragon Creature template in a campaign?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then this game might just be right for you! ;D

Snake

Ah man this is coming back!?  Oh damn man. I'll see about producing a character for it!

Are the char creation rules the same as the previous thread?

Kunoichi

It's still been ongoing, actually. ^^ And yes, character creation rules are the same as in the previous thread.

Sain

Also, don't fret about having to read through the IC posts thus far :) A lot of the game has been about player character's advancing their personal goals so joining now you won't even miss any of the main plot! Zaer and Kunoichi said everything else pretty well I think.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, most of the game will be based on your char's personal goals and overall theme of the game is that your main villain/hero (note; most legendary monsters are all three shades of evil + 1 neutral, so good types need able tolerate evil some amount or cooperate for main plot purposes). Overall game idea is to play as OP 'monster' who spreads havoc or brings salvation (whichever you prefer).

schnookums

Clearly this game needs a Legendary Faerie Dragon *sagenods*

Kunoichi

8 HD, +2 LA...  It certainly wouldn't be too bad of an option to take. ^^ You'd definitely want to make sure to add on a good template or two to fill out those last two points of LA, though.  Any thoughts on the rest of your build for the other two gestalt paths?

schnookums

Oh sure, take my silliness seriously...now I actually have to think about coming up with a character. (I have no clue what I'd take classwise)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, we got a slime girl (literally) as one the monsters so you can go for silly option :P.

Just a reminder though that you can play also as a dragon but you get no gestalt class progression. Just basic dragon + paragon creature template slapped atop it. You can example start with old black dragon which is CR 16 (I allow a slight 1-2 CR increase for dragon PC's) and paragon creature adds +15 to your CR. Overall range between gestalt PC's with monster third gestalt path and paragon dragon is CR 30-32 range.

But no other monsters mind you get this treatment, only dragons. Rest monster builds must fit inside 12 levels (HD+LA or CR whichever is highest).

TheGlyphstone

I remember the first incarnation of this game, and I like making characters - especially crazy complicated ones - as much or more than I like playing, so this can be a fun exercise even if it never goes anymore.

Important question, though...for our 'Monster' portion, are we only restricted to things that have a LA? If not, how do we calculate our Monster path level - HD? CR?

Zaer Darkwail

The monster side you take HD+LA as calculation and if you do not have that you use HD or CR (whichever is highest) to determine can you take it. So even if monster got 7 HD but if it got CR 13 then you cannot use it.

Note however; normally to enter multi-class demanding PrC you need to have all needed classes in single path (and in single path you can multiclass and in single path enter a PrC). So example mystic theurge is possible but enter it you need be cleric 3/wizard 3/mystic theurge 6 in single path. However there is exception; if your monster provides spellcasting (like drider with 6 CL either as sorcerer, wizard, cleric), you can use monster casting to qualify to enter any PrC's.

Also any monster classes (like fiend of possession) you can take instead additional templates in monster side.

TheGlyphstone

So the higher of HD or CR? Damn...I wanted to re-use my Kraken Lord concept, but Krakens have 20HD despite only being CR12.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, 12 HD to limit amount of feats your getting and avoid confusion 'do I use class granted HD number or monster HD number'. In gestalt HD must be same or less than 12 (and if LA then add it and if CR then use CR if it's higher than HD).

CeruleanSerenity

This definitely sparks my interest... I don't have any experience making complex high-level characters, but I have always wanted to play a powerful character, so I'll have to keep an eye on this for when I'm caught up on my current games.

A succubus was my first thought for a character, but dragons are always tempting, and I have always wanted to play a nymph... though I wonder if this might not be the best game for that.

schnookums

Is there an official 3.5 fae dragon? I couldn't find anything

TheGlyphstone

Well, since I still want to make a natural-weapon build, I'll have to think about this. Aboleths are kind of weak, but they match the aquatic theme. Mind Flayers (and their bigger cousins Ulitharids) have too much LA (I have no idea why the Ulitharid is 12 HD+9LA, they don't usually give LA if it would make a character Epic)...even the Mind Flayer is 8HD and LA+7...

...you know what, I think I'm just going to go with an Anthropomorphic Giant Squid (3HD, +1 LA), then stack a big juicy template on top of it. It's basically a mini-Kraken without the weather themed SLA's, so I get everything I want in a much smaller package. Problem solved!

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on April 08, 2015, 06:41:49 PM
This definitely sparks my interest... I don't have any experience making complex high-level characters, but I have always wanted to play a powerful character, so I'll have to keep an eye on this for when I'm caught up on my current games.

A succubus was my first thought for a character, but dragons are always tempting, and I have always wanted to play a nymph... though I wonder if this might not be the best game for that.

Well, succubus is 6 HD and +6 LA so they fit perfectly and they get many nice spell-alike abilities. With high charisma one the gestalt paths should make use from it. Nymph is 6 HD + 7 LA creature, so sadly nymphs do not fit in unless using a template which reduces your LA :P.

Or wait, some members in party are 13th level and if other players do not mind, you could play nymph but when you get level up you do not get any monster stuff upgrades (not yet anyways).

Anycase key question to ask 'can I play this char in this game' is to tell me what you want from game? Want play powerful char? Sure, no problem, you can do exactly that in this game :). But if your new to higher levels of play (we speak epic as your chars are CR 30 with gestalt + paragon creature template add), Kunoichi and others who are already in the game can give advices or discuss things in PM's with you if you so desire.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 08, 2015, 06:46:02 PM
...you know what, I think I'm just going to go with an Anthropomorphic Giant Squid (3HD, +1 LA), then stack a big juicy template on top of it. It's basically a mini-Kraken without the weather themed SLA's, so I get everything I want in a much smaller package. Problem solved!

Sounds cool to me, just remember 1 inherited and 1 gained template max (half-dragon or half-fiend would work as inherited template which adds nice bonus to Str). Only exception are stacking sort templates (like evolved undead from libri mortis and I technically allow that template for outsiders as well albeit it's unfinnished house rule).

TheGlyphstone

Ooh, 1 Inherited +1 Gained? That's even better, since I can take Amphibious and still get a transformational template. Or two templates and use a custom magic item of Air Breathing....I think I'm going to go with that.

And considering the theme of the game, Monster of Legend seems perfect, and gives nice bonuses. But is it an Inherited template or an Acquired template? It's untyped in the book, and the 3.5 update booklet fails to specify. Would prefer to treat it as an Acquired template, since most templates are Inherited - not interested in being a half-golem or undead or lycanthrope.

Kunoichi

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 08, 2015, 06:46:02 PM
Well, since I still want to make a natural-weapon build, I'll have to think about this. Aboleths are kind of weak, but they match the aquatic theme. Mind Flayers (and their bigger cousins Ulitharids) have too much LA (I have no idea why the Ulitharid is 12 HD+9LA, they don't usually give LA if it would make a character Epic)...even the Mind Flayer is 8HD and LA+7...

I should note that one of our players did get permission previously to play this variant Flying Aboleth from Lords of Madness.  Said player eventually opted for playing a slime girl instead, but that means that the race would be available for you if you wanted to play something that was close to your old Demon Lord character.

Lords of Madness also gave Aboleths a pretty neat racial caster PrC, which could be fun to look into...

Quote from: schnookums on April 08, 2015, 06:43:14 PM
Is there an official 3.5 fae dragon? I couldn't find anything

Draconomicon has stats for the Fairy Dragon, although you could also just be some other dragon species with the Half-Fey or Unseelie Fey templates.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kunoichi on April 08, 2015, 07:24:46 PM
I should note that one of our players did get permission previously to play this variant Flying Aboleth from Lords of Madness.  Said player eventually opted for playing a slime girl instead, but that means that the race would be available for you if you wanted to play something that was close to your old Demon Lord character.

Lords of Madness also gave Aboleths a pretty neat racial caster PrC, which could be fun to look into...

Draconomicon has stats for the Fairy Dragon, although you could also just be some other dragon species with the Half-Fey or Unseelie Fey templates.

Thought about Aboleth, but I think I want to play something that is actually somewhat humanoid this time around. Also, aboleths are kind of fragile up close - they're more minion masters and manipulators, and I want something that's really good at getting stuck in. So Anthro Giant Squid suits me perfectly.

A Half-Dragon Anthropomorphic Giant Squid Of Legend would be 3HD, +4 LA, and +2 CR, total of 9.

CeruleanSerenity

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 08, 2015, 06:54:16 PM
Well, succubus is 6 HD and +6 LA so they fit perfectly and they get many nice spell-alike abilities. With high charisma one the gestalt paths should make use from it. Nymph is 6 HD + 7 LA creature, so sadly nymphs do not fit in unless using a template which reduces your LA :P.

Or wait, some members in party are 13th level and if other players do not mind, you could play nymph but when you get level up you do not get any monster stuff upgrades (not yet anyways).

Anycase key question to ask 'can I play this char in this game' is to tell me what you want from game? Want play powerful char? Sure, no problem, you can do exactly that in this game :). But if your new to higher levels of play (we speak epic as your chars are CR 30 with gestalt + paragon creature template add), Kunoichi and others who are already in the game can give advices or discuss things in PM's with you if you so desire.
Oh, I didn't see that about LA... sorry about that. Though I would be okay with that option if the others are, like you said... but who knows what I'll play. If you're okay with characters getting a little crazy, there are all sorts of ideas coming to mind. I will have to talk it over with whoever has time...

Kunoichi

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 08, 2015, 07:28:05 PM
A Half-Dragon Anthropomorphic Giant Squid Of Legend would be 3HD, +4 LA, and +2 CR, total of 9.

Monster of Legend was made a +7 LA template in the MM2 update booklet, actually. ^^; You could take it with your anthro giant squid, but then you'd only have room for a +1 inherited template.  Draconic Creature, perhaps?

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on April 08, 2015, 07:32:47 PM
Oh, I didn't see that about LA... sorry about that. Though I would be okay with that option if the others are, like you said... but who knows what I'll play. If you're okay with characters getting a little crazy, there are all sorts of ideas coming to mind. I will have to talk it over with whoever has time...

I have time, if you want to talk character ideas. ^^

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kunoichi on April 08, 2015, 07:34:33 PM
Monster of Legend was made a +7 LA template in the MM2 update booklet, actually. ^^; You could take it with your anthro giant squid, but then you'd only have room for a +1 inherited template.  Draconic Creature, perhaps?

I have time, if you want to talk character ideas. ^^

Wait, it was? I looked in the booklet and couldn't find a listed value. Oh hey it was, cool.

Okay, that works. Scrapping Half-Dragon and I'll pick something else.

EDIT: If Monster of Legend is an Acquired Template, I'll go with Draconic for the stat boosts and claw attacks. If it's Inherited, I'll go with Lloth-touched for the bigger stat boosts and fear immunity.

schnookums

I'm assuming, based on the Draconomicon writeup, that fae dragons wouldn't use the dragon rules for this, as they've got a flat entry (they don't power up as they age) and they fit well within the combined hd+la of 12 (It comes out to 10, I'd have to find a good +2 template for her)