[MUL] Detectives of the Strange and Weird, defending Humanity in the near future

Started by ReijiTabibito, August 25, 2009, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReijiTabibito

Okay, here’s an interest check for a custom campaign setting utilizing the Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM) Third Edition (as published by White Wolf and ArtHaus) system.

The setting is a mash-up of the following:

Silent Mobius (Anime)
Fate/Stay Night (Anime)
Torchwood (TV Show)
Threshold (TV Show)
Persona (Video Game series)

The general idea is that it’s the near future, not long after an apocalyptic event (most likely to have occurred in the year 2012), which reawakened the supernatural forces of old, and brought a few new ones into existence.

The PCs would be “strange occurrences” investigators for either the government, the local police, or a private investigation company.  The story would start out slow, with episodic cases, but eventually would open up into a multi-case spanning story of epic proportions – lots of awesome, big speeches, enormous displays of power, and so on.

The story is probably going to be set in New York City - but London or Dublin are other possibilities.

While I’m not too heavily invested in gender balance, I would like to have at least a couple of each gender involved, so as to avoid an all-male or all-female squad.  I’m not picky either about sexual preferences, but I’d prefer a range of them, as opposed to just one type.  Both of these are for variety, and to avoid the possibility of repetition – diversity makes things fun!

Character types I have in mind for the series are as follows (though, if you have ideas of your own, run them by me):

Normal Humans: these are people like you and I – except these people tend to carry very large guns, and have a knowledge of the weird.

Enhanced Humans: these are humans with supernatural powers – where that power comes from is up to you.

Cyborgs: these were ordinary people, but have been augmented with high-powered mechanical systems – due to choice, or done to them because their survival necessitated it.

Magic Users: beings that are capable of utilizing inherent magical powers.  Magic users are classified into various subgroups, anyone interested in playing one can respond here, or PM me.

Psychics: a new force on the block, these are people capable of utilizing mentally-based powers to produce varying effects.

Supernatural Entities: Since the revival of various supernatural creatures, some have chosen to mate with humans (typically, magic-users or enhanced humans, though regular humans work too), and produce half-human, half-supernatural offspring.

Character ages can range from being just a teenager (no younger than 16, though) to being somewhere in the forties, maybe even early fifties (no grandpas, though – upper age limit is 55).

The title of the campaign would eventually depend upon the location, and for whom the PCs work.

Nearly anything is possible, as long as it’s not game breaking – initial character designs would be at BESM’s Mythical level, near the upper threshold. 

Series genres would be: Action-Adventure, Drama, Romance, limited Comedy, Science Fiction, Cyberpunk, Occult…list goes on.

Sex is not required, but definitely an addition.

This is all just for starters, any input is welcome…

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand…GO!

Treena

A/A     Ons/Offs     Cravings
Back and open to some rps.
Treena'sWiki

Phaia

sounds like fun but i have NOT played BESM, have heard of it from friends though

Phaia

ReijiTabibito

Okay, now for a few questions for those of you who've expressed interest in playing:

1 - Do you have, or can you get access to, the BESM 3rd edition core rulebook?  (I don't need a how, just a yes or no)

2 - What sort of character would you be interested in playing (by that, I mean, what sort of character type)?  Try and give a one or two sentence character concept.

3 - Who would you prefer working for - the national government, the police, or as private investigators?

4 - Where would you like the story to take place - New York City, London, or Dublin?  (Chances are, it'll be NYC, but I thought I should ask anyway)

5 - If you have a sexual relationship in the game, what would it be (male/female, male/male, female/female)?  (This I ask for assistance in designing possible NPCs)

That's it from my end for now - if you would, chat me up amongst your friends - especially any guys interested in playing - I'd like a guy or two in the mix here, though I am impressed with the initial response...

KeyOfTwilight

@1 I can get access, if I can find a good rapidshare link

@2 Enhanced Human or Magic user.  No character concept yet.

@3 Private Investigator

@4 Any of them, doesn't matter.

@5 female/female, possibly female/male too.

Treena

1) no not that i know of
2) i would like to play a magic/neko girl. sort of like tokyo mew mew.
3) private investigator
4) london would be fun :-)
5) male/female or female/female would be fine :-)

Treena'sWiki

Phaia

1]  I believe I can get a copy!

2] basic concept is this. her name is Cleopthra Selene, daughter of Cleopthra [yes that one] and Mark Antony. Immortal. many times throught out time demons and things have crawled up and she has fought them.

3] Whatever works best!

4] NYC is fine by me.

5] Female/male; female/monster, demon, thingy ; female /female but lower down list

I have a worked out more detail for background etc

Phaia

Crovonovin

1 - Unfortunately, I've never been very good with systems.  If I can manage to find a copy of the ruleset however, I'm fairly certain I can grasp the concepts.  I'm a pretty quick learner, and with a little help I'm sure I'd get the hang of things.

2 - I have interest in playing an "enhanced human".  However, my idea is just a bit odder than the usual individuals you'd probably find in that category.  My idea was for a man whose body acts as a gateway for various extra-dimensional oddities.  He would be able to expel these powerful beings from any part of his body and use them in combat.  The catch, however, is that he is unable (or unwilling) to allow these creatures to completely enter the story's primary dimension.  Meaning that his body is going to get pulled along for the ride if his would-be helper is a bit too big and rambunctious, perhaps with painful results.  Getting tugged around like a ragdoll isn't the safest profession.  And of course, he runs the risk of letting out something beyond his ability to order around or contain.  It's much more of an "Ace up my sleeve" sort of ability, for when there really is no other solution to a confrontation.

3 - I imagine he would be more of the Private Investigator type, but with close ties to the local police force.

4 - London is always a fine choice when it comes to the supernatural, as it lends itself well to Campbell and Machen Country-esque plots, but New York City is a fine alternative.

5 - This character would probably be strictly M/M, though he's a bit ambivalent when it comes to sex.

KeyOfTwilight

JMN

1) I have a copy of BESM 2nd Edition that I have never used.  Is that close enough?  (I also have the Tri-Stat Tekumel, buts that's probably even more useless.)

2) Aleksandr Grigorivich Rybalko.  Cyborg, but not terribly happy about it.  Former spetznaz commando, wants to get out of the business, but doesn't have any other skill set.  Smart, but very much a linear thinker who has (by choice? by ability? no one knows) a very limited problem solving tool box.  Has an unsavory reputation.

3) Whoever pays.  A lot.  If I'm going to get shot at, I ain't doing it for what they paid me as a soldier.

4) No preference.  My knowledge of NYC is limited, that of London is very sketchy, and my knowledge of Dublin non-existent.  My character will be from outside of any of the above.

5) Heterosexual male. 
Young girls and gin may be the cure.

-The Reverend Horton Heat

Fiction:
Slices of the Mind
For Beatrice
I hope posting these will get me off my ass and writing again.

ReijiTabibito

Okay, it's been awhile, and I felt the need to update the thread, especially with the interest expressed.

For those of you going along, please note the following:

Location:  Most everyone who has expressed an opinion on location has said London.  Now, I don't know as much about London as I do NYC, but I know enough to run a decent game.   Therefore, the city setting of this campaign will be London, England.

Nature of the Detective Squad:  Everyone, in some way, shape, or form, has wanted to be part of a private detective agency that specializes in the occult.  Therefore, the PCs of this game are all PIs.

Timeframe for the Campaign:  In order to accommodate the Supernatural Being possibility, the game is set in the early 2060s - most likely the years 2062 or 2063.

Character Types Present:  So far, we have an Empowered Human, a Supernatural Being, a Cyborg, and a Magic User for PCs.  So far, we have no psychics or regular humans.  It's not required that anyone play one of these, but it would add some spice to the game.

Current Number of Players: We currently have 4.  The primary NPC cast right now is around half-a-dozen, so if someone wanted to join, I could probably juggle 2-3 more characters without the main cast becoming too weighty.

Gender of Players: Gender is open.  The cast is currently slightly skewed towards female, but not so much that the Agency is an Amazon Brigade.

Sexual Orientation of Player Characters:  Orientation is open - we currently have enough variety that doubling up won't hamper diversity.

Nationalities for Player Characters:  Being that it's set in London, we have plenty of English/Scotspeople.  Irish are accepted, but not in droves.  Good nationalities to pick are non-UK European, North African, even the Middle East - though any nationality can be worked into the story.

Game System:  For the most part, the system will be freeform.  You will need a character sheet, though - the BESM system will get used for combat, for not-quite-obvious things (Taking statements from witnesses? No system.  Deducing from those statements that the spell used to kill the victim comes from an uncommon branch of magic?  System.), and for the dramatic (Driving to a crime scene?  No system.  Hijacking a car and driving it like a bat out of hell across half the city to prevent a murder?  System.).

Game Books:  The system being used is the BESM 3rd edition - WHICH YOU MUST HAVE.  Previous editions will NOT work - the differences between BESM 2nd and 3rd edition are like the differences between D&D 3rd and 4th ed.

Character Power Level:  You have 500 points with which to build your character, plus whatever you get from Defects.  An average human can be built for 120, so unless it's part of your character concept, your character should have at least average human statistics.

Character Relationships:  Relationships between PCs are allowed (and to a certain degree, encouraged), but if no one strikes your fancy, you can request a relationship with an NPC (if you want).

Character Attribute Levels:  For those of you who've read the book, you'll notice in the Attribute chapter that there's an Attribute Level limit listed in the Attribute Table (4-2).  THESE LEVEL LIMITS ARE STARTING ONLY.  As the campaign progresses, you can (and to a degree, are expected to) surpass these maximums.

Character Stat Limits:  Your character's Stat limits are ultimately dependent upon the character type you play.  Note the following:

Regular Human:  Body 7, Mind 7, Soul 7.

Empowered Human: Empowered Humans can dictate their own Stats limits by character concept, but the sum of these limits cannot go over 30.  (Body 9, Mind 7, Soul 12?  Okay.  Body, Mind, and Soul all at 12?  Not so much.)

Cyborg: Body 12, Mind 9, Soul 9

Magic User:  Body 8, Mind 10, Soul 12

Psychic:  Body 8, Mind 12, Soul 10

Supernatural Entity: Body 10, Mind 10, Soul 10

Character Backgrounds:  For those of you who might be playing more...unsavory characters, I ask and tell you this - as long as you aren't TOO unsavory (A former cop with a heavy bias towards Muslims?  Okay.  Hitler?  Not so much), I will approve your character.  And once your character is approved, you don't need to worry about whether or not your character will be accepted as part of the Agency - they will, for reasons that become clear later.

Getting the Game Started:  Right now, I have 2 character sheets, 1 on the way, and the last one before the end of the month.  However, I've only heard from 2 of my players recently.  Once we get 3 players, though, I can post the first IC thread, and get the game rolling.

An OOC Thread:  I'll try and have that up within a week - all approved character sheets will be posted there.

...I think that's everything, for now.

See you in game!

JMN

QuoteTaking statements from witnesses? No system.

You have no system.  I have system.

*puts truck battery on table*

You have information.  I have electricity.  We make exchange, no?

Sasha's background is very unsavory.  His future, probably not so much.

[Sorry for reusing the joke from last night.]
Young girls and gin may be the cure.

-The Reverend Horton Heat

Fiction:
Slices of the Mind
For Beatrice
I hope posting these will get me off my ass and writing again.

Kate

Fiona Uwle

Background

To come - BTW I will clean this up soon so far just getting it all down.

Human Female, Age 22, Psychic

Body       4 - adult human average
mind stat  8 - extremely capable
soul stat 12 - max human potential

(so far totaling 240 points ... 260 points left for other stuff)

Abilities and skills

melee defense (telekinesis) 3 points per level  9 points
melee attack 3 points / level 3 ranks            9 points
ranged attack 3 points / level 3 ranks       9 points
ranged defense 3 points / level       9 points
weapon (telekinesis - accuracy) -  rank 4 ranks 8 points
massive damage focused (telekinesis effects)  4 points per level - 3 ranks = 8 points
extra telekinetic arms -  rank 4 - (4 extra arms)     4 points
extra defenses - 5 points per level  - 3 ranks       15 points
extra actions 15 points / level rank 1 -       15 points
feature appearance (beautiful)                             2 points
lightening reflexes 2 points            1 rank 2 points
heightened awareness 2 points / level         1 rank 2 points
special defense  ageless (2 ranks)             4 points
special defense - heat immunity 2 ranks          4 points

abilities so far totaling  100 points

energy bonus 2 points per level - 5 ranks              10 points
resistance (transform or manipulate body or powers) level 2 ranks  4 points
mind shield  2 points per level    rank 3 -                6 points
psychic shield 4 ponts / level          rank 6 -            24 points
general mind control  8 points per level   3 points             24 points
general telepathy (mind touch) - 10 meters                     (6 points)
General telekinesis at at least level 5 x 8 + extra range (100 m) =  42 points)
regeneration (in water)        level 5                          (25 points)
healing of others 4 - level 5 ( points per level )               (20 points)
sixth sense 2 points / level (5 ranks)                          (2 points)

Personal wealth 3 million (mostly tied up in a sweet penthouse apartment, and a passive return investment portfolio - has access to a few hundred thousand dollars cash)                                       (15 points)

abilities so far totaling  278 points

moderate phobia - spiders  -2 points

moderate nightmare - waking up in the backseat of a empty car driverless
on moving at full speed on a deserted road at night -2

Excessive risk of being Hounded by journalists (tabloids) - 6 points
marked - strange hair color               - 2 points
Wanted - Excessive risk - by crime gang (reason unknown)   - 6

abilities and defects so far totaling  260 points

Treena

since i am busy with school and haveing technical difficulties with my comp i will be dropping out of this game.

Treena'sWiki

Crovonovin

I'm afraid that I must also quietly back out, for very similar reasons.  I wish those that remain the very best!

Kate

hey if this was free-form i think it may be more fun
and less daunting an overhead to be familiar with another book - what do others think ?

Jack Stalker

Heard of BBSW (Big Breasts Small Waist), the Hentai version of BESM?

Freeform is always good however...

Kate

Well system if others really want to - but if its a novel one - simplest one if possible - as to be practical i had like a 100 skills :) lol