Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire confirmed

Started by apygoos, May 07, 2014, 09:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apygoos

Mathim

You know, Ruby and Sapphire (and even Emerald) were my least favorite Pokemon series games. The whole region was just so...I don't know, cramped, I guess, or at least that's how I felt. Plus there was that ridiculously huge amount of water traveling toward the end of the game where you can't find a reprieve from the Tentacool attacks, it was just such a huge pain in the ass (and so easy to get lost). I also found it very hard to put together a decent party for the Elite Four; usually I get at least 5 out of my 6 partners to be pretty decent combatants (not including Legendaries) but in this one I could barely scrape together 4, and that's only if I chose Torchic for my starter.

I've long since retired from that universe (except for spin-offs like the Pokemon Ranger games; those are actually amazingly fun) but if they're bringing that old generation to the 3DS and claiming you're going to 'explore a whole new world' then I would assume they're full of B.S. since I doubt they're going to make the game into an entirely different region than Hoenn.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

King Serperior

Quote from: apygoos on May 07, 2014, 09:44:21 AM
the hype is real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGSON9tNq0
Treeko, my darling gecko you!  We shall journey through Hoen again and again just like old times!  <3  The same goes to my beloved Camerupt, Linoone, Aggron, and Peliper! 

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Mr L

I'll be giving this batch of remakes the benefit of the doubt, as gen 3 was my least favorite as well. To begin with, the starters could've been better from my experiences: Treeko felt underwhelming as a starter (though the changes to physical/special attacks might help Treeko now), Mudkip becomes a dual type that REALLY REALLY will hate Treeko later on, and I'm not a fan of Torchic, though I can't begin to think of any reason why.

Most of the gen 3 pokemon followed Mudkip's example with dual types that suffer more from one or more types than their standalone types, a few prime examples KS mentioned. So mostly, most of the pokes in this generation are not particularly appealing to have in a team, leading to the issue Mathim stated.

I don't know if it's the graphics of the time, or the actual region was laid out strangely, but I disliked the Hoenn region when playing through R/S/E. Like Torchic, I can't really place any really reason upon my dislike of the physical region, though I would probably get by by saying the way we progress was rather...confusing at best.

Only reason I put up with this gen was Emerald, for the sake of the poke transfer to D/P/PL and its story made more sense than R/S as we face against BOTH extremist groups. And when we were still in gen 3, it was obviously the most advanced.

That all said, I'm gonna try the remakes with an extremely open mind. I'm hoping they can add a new element to this batch that they did with the other remakes (Sevi Isles in FR/LG and the pokemon following you in HG/SS) to make these two more tolerable than the originals.

/End rant.
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

King Serperior

Personally, I don't care what the region looks like.  I just want my Battle Frontier back so I can play in my Battle Factory again!  :<

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Arohk

Amen, Mathim.

I feel like I am the only one who never really like Hoenn. I was very neutral when it first released. None of the designs of the Pokemon grabbed me, and as Mathim said, I hated the region itself. I thought it felt very disjointed and there was WAY too much water traveling. You always had to have an HM Slave with you. Plus there was that desert area that chopped the first part in half annoyingly for a while in the game, and then was just blehh to ride through after. Not to mention the fact that they took out the night and day function- which I was really disappointed about as a kid. And yes, before anyone points it out, I am aware that it was because of technical specs and the battery. It still disappointed me.

Not to say I disliked the game or anything. It just had a lot that I found very mediocre. I have never understood the undying love for it. I just didn't think it was well-designed as the other games at all. Also not to say that the other generations didn't have their flaws. All of them have something I could talk about. But that's why it's nice to see further releases- constantly refining everything towards something awesome.

I'll still buy it and enjoy it as I have the other ones. I just really wish they'd stop with Mega Evolutions. That's still my main angry point with X and Y. And I think they are probably going to continue that trend. Ugh.

I think if they listen to some of the gripes and cut down on some of the busywork water and whatnot, it'll be a thousand times better.

Also, the two things I am most hoping that they bring back is the automatic run button from Soul Silver and Heat Gold, and seasons. Oh my God did I ever miss seasons. I think there's no excuse for taking those two things out of the game. I want them even above walking with your Pokemon. For mechanical purposes.

Either way, though, I respect people who are totally hyped because that's the way I was with Soul Silver and Heart Gold. Party on if you are for sure. I am sure we'll all enjoy the game when it comes out. c:

apygoos

Alpha Sapphire all the way...though now idk if i should finish my current sapphire playthough or not...
its sitting right here in my DSlite

SinXAzgard21

I'll be getting it, been playing since the beginning and hopefully this one has 3d models as well.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Mr L

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 08, 2014, 02:23:51 AM
I'll be getting it, been playing since the beginning and hopefully this one has 3d models as well.

Hopefully they do better with more 3D options in game, more than 1-1 battles and flying. ._.
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

apygoos

the game packaging that they showed seems to imply its use of 3D is on the same level as X and Y was

Mathim

Quote from: Arohk on May 08, 2014, 01:19:27 AM
Amen, Mathim.

I feel like I am the only one who never really like Hoenn. I was very neutral when it first released. None of the designs of the Pokemon grabbed me, and as Mathim said, I hated the region itself. I thought it felt very disjointed and there was WAY too much water traveling. You always had to have an HM Slave with you. Plus there was that desert area that chopped the first part in half annoyingly for a while in the game, and then was just blehh to ride through after. Not to mention the fact that they took out the night and day function- which I was really disappointed about as a kid. And yes, before anyone points it out, I am aware that it was because of technical specs and the battery. It still disappointed me.

Not to say I disliked the game or anything. It just had a lot that I found very mediocre. I have never understood the undying love for it. I just didn't think it was well-designed as the other games at all. Also not to say that the other generations didn't have their flaws. All of them have something I could talk about. But that's why it's nice to see further releases- constantly refining everything towards something awesome.

I'll still buy it and enjoy it as I have the other ones. I just really wish they'd stop with Mega Evolutions. That's still my main angry point with X and Y. And I think they are probably going to continue that trend. Ugh.

I think if they listen to some of the gripes and cut down on some of the busywork water and whatnot, it'll be a thousand times better.

Also, the two things I am most hoping that they bring back is the automatic run button from Soul Silver and Heat Gold, and seasons. Oh my God did I ever miss seasons. I think there's no excuse for taking those two things out of the game. I want them even above walking with your Pokemon. For mechanical purposes.

Either way, though, I respect people who are totally hyped because that's the way I was with Soul Silver and Heart Gold. Party on if you are for sure. I am sure we'll all enjoy the game when it comes out. c:

Amen back at ya. Basically you went into detail about my gripes, but yeah, that's a good summary of why I disliked the structure of Hoenn so much. Emerald barely made it tolerable but the R/S versions were just appalling. What I'm really afraid of is, are these first two going to completely eschew the Emerald version's bonuses and force people to wait for Beta Emerald (presumably the title they'll be going with) or is it just going to be as if both games were the Emerald version (with extended Safari Zone, Battle Island, etc.) except with only dealing with their respective Team Aqua/Magma rather than both? And of course, the original Elite Four/Champion combo or the new Champ from Emerald? That was actually one change from Emerald I seriously disliked.

As for the other complaints, someone summarized it perfectly: Yes, there were far too many dual-types that ended up shooting themselves in the foot by creating a quadruple weakness (sextuple if you factor in the STAB bonus) that otherwise would have made for decent physical attackers. It was so difficult finding single-types or dual-types with only 2x weaknesses that if you were to choose a starter, you were limited to Torchic (grass types, having a grand total of FIVE FUCKING WEAKNESSES, being completely worthless IMO) and its evolutions to avoid this horrendous burden. The best I ever managed was a Blaziken, Sharpedo (still my favorite to this day, about the only good thing to come from this generation), the poison-version of the Wurmple evolution (can't remember its name, it's the one that learns Silver Wind, the only decent Bug-type move in the game) and Gardevoir. So those four up against the Elite Four and the Champ, with two HM mules as we are still, I presume, to this day, burdened with. Oh, and I forgot to mention, it seemed harder and harder to get my team (even with only 4 to have to spread the EXP around to instead of 5 like in most other generations) to a decent enough level to deal with the Pokemon League? I could barely break the level 50 barrier by the time I got through Victory Road in this one, so all the level 46+ Elite Four Pokemon would be hard as hell to beat. And I'm the kind of player who fights every single trainer and every possible battle (non-random) that can be fought in addition to random battles, which was very disconcerting.

Here's what I would like to have seen in the first DS, and forward generations: Since every Pokemon has their own special ability, like Levitate or whatever, why not have THAT be how HMs work? Each Pokemon might not be able to learn all of them so a balanced team would have to be collected, but at least there would be no burden of having to substitute it in for an actual move. That would also make it possible for multiple different HMs to be created, like one for passing over lava floors or jumping over pits and such, since that would allow for more variety now that a Pokemon isn't limited to four HM moves. If a party of six each had one HM in the same area as their special ability, they could go practically anywhere (as long as the six were compatible with the area they were exploring). It's just a middle finger to the players that they haven't fixed this by now. It just reinforces the idea that, despite having almost 1000 Pokemon by now, at least 50% of them are useless.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

AzizSolomon

SinXAzgard21

Tsenta

Thing is, they won't be able to do 3D a whole lot better than X/Y, on par with sure. But X/Y near capped the capabilities of the 3DS. So unless these come out on a stronger platform....you're going to get X/Y's level of 3D otherwise.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Tsenta on May 11, 2014, 12:44:56 AM
Thing is, they won't be able to do 3D a whole lot better than X/Y, on par with sure. But X/Y near capped the capabilities of the 3DS. So unless these come out on a stronger platform....you're going to get X/Y's level of 3D otherwise.

Like that was a bad thing?  I enjoyed X/Y's graphics.

Arohk

Quote from: Mathim on May 10, 2014, 12:51:12 PM
Words of truth

I think the entire idea of HMs is completely out-dated. The reason they did it in the original games and forward up until recently is because they were the only attacks that didn't disappear after usage. Now that there is no difference between HMs and TMs in terms of usage, they should get rid of them entirely. What's the point of having them be locked to your Pokemon? They should just remove the restriction that you can't overwrite the move in the movesets, and end everyone's pain. Because that's all it is at this point. A pain. You can still class them as HMs if you want, and have them easier to find in your bag, but there is literally no point in having them in the same manner any more. It was functional before because it was sometimes USEFUL to have an attack to throw on something without it disappearing from your inventory. Which is a gripe I have as a whole. As satisfying it is to have TMs not disappear after one use sometimes, it made the game way easier in that regard. I liked the challenge. I liked the strategy and planning and the challenge of collecting them or buying them for a specific purpose, and I hate that they made them infinite use.

Qt

Definite looking forward to this. Heonn region was quite fun when I played it I know people tend to not be happy with so much water. But I think the whole idea of that game was to show off the dynamic of land vs water.

I'm still undecided on which one to get, it would depend on the exclusives in each game.

Things I'd really like to see are more megas (especially for sceptile and swampert), PSS secret bases, and some move tutors. Oh... and possibly actual 6v6 singles in battlespot.

Quote from: Arohk on May 11, 2014, 02:26:20 AM
I think the entire idea of HMs is completely out-dated. The reason they did it in the original games and forward up until recently is because they were the only attacks that didn't disappear after usage. Now that there is no difference between HMs and TMs in terms of usage, they should get rid of them entirely. What's the point of having them be locked to your Pokemon? They should just remove the restriction that you can't overwrite the move in the movesets, and end everyone's pain. Because that's all it is at this point. A pain. You can still class them as HMs if you want, and have them easier to find in your bag, but there is literally no point in having them in the same manner any more. It was functional before because it was sometimes USEFUL to have an attack to throw on something without it disappearing from your inventory. Which is a gripe I have as a whole. As satisfying it is to have TMs not disappear after one use sometimes, it made the game way easier in that regard. I liked the challenge. I liked the strategy and planning and the challenge of collecting them or buying them for a specific purpose, and I hate that they made them infinite use.

The HMs forcing you to take a slot is due to the designers making it impossible for you to get trapped if you accidentally deleted the HM from the moveset. All the HM moves other than surf/waterfall are pretty much unviable in battle.

It's not a huge issue if you simply have HM slaves in the party, but it is a bit of a hassle.

apygoos

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 11, 2014, 12:57:19 AM
Like that was a bad thing?  I enjoyed X/Y's graphics.
i agree, this battle design, im not sure how much more perfect you can get. we get the epic 3d models we enjoyed in stadium, and they still retain their anime'esq feel. when it comes to that aspect, im not sure how much more you can actually improve on. sure a few refinements here and there, but i think that pokemon's graphical set up its near perfect. Please Game Freak though, feel free to prove me wrong.

Mathim

Quote from: Arohk on May 11, 2014, 02:26:20 AM

I don't think it's outdated since their main purpose is to be used outside of battle and so few abilities really do that apart from HMs. I mean, there's Teleport, Dig, Rain Dance, and a few others that have an actual effect in the field. And I LOVE that. It makes it feel more like a Legend of Zelda game (think Oracle of Ages/Seasons) in that respect which is much more fun since it lets the RPG stuff dip into adventure game territory a bit more and that's what makes games great: Not limiting them to a single genre entirely. So while I do agree the way they've been handling HMs is appalling, a simple revamping of them would make the games much more palatable and expand the player's ability to explore, also enabling them go all over the world and find new things they couldn't get to before since they didn't have access to all the HMs at the time.

Arohk

That's exactly my point though. You can have every TM and HM in the game without your bag being full. Meaning if you accidentally erase one of the HM moves from the moveset, you can just redo it immediately. How could you get stuck if you always have that opportunity? I'm not saying the concept of using moves outside of battle is outdated. I'm saying that the LOCK that the the HM moves are tied with is an outdated concept. It doesn't need to be locked any more, and that lock is currently the ONLY difference between HMs and TMs such as Teleport, etc. There would be zero harm in removing the lock. Doing so would also remove the differentials, so we would technically not need HMs.

What I think they should do is just use the names differently. Remove the lock to get rid of the annoyances and HM slaves, and instead class all 'out of battle' moves as HMs for easy filtering. That way they could still stick with traditional names and we wouldn't have to put up with the stupid lock on the HM moves.

To Qt, they will have megas for Sceptile and Swampert. And they have some weird combination of all three title legendaries into one morphed Pokemon. I'll slap the image under a spoiler just in case.

I personally hate mega evolutions and that combo thing looks really weird but hey, just an opinion.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Qt

Quote from: Arohk on May 17, 2014, 12:46:51 AM
That's exactly my point though. You can have every TM and HM in the game without your bag being full. Meaning if you accidentally erase one of the HM moves from the moveset, you can just redo it immediately. How could you get stuck if you always have that opportunity? I'm not saying the concept of using moves outside of battle is outdated. I'm saying that the LOCK that the the HM moves are tied with is an outdated concept. It doesn't need to be locked any more, and that lock is currently the ONLY difference between HMs and TMs such as Teleport, etc. There would be zero harm in removing the lock. Doing so would also remove the differentials, so we would technically not need HMs.

What I think they should do is just use the names differently. Remove the lock to get rid of the annoyances and HM slaves, and instead class all 'out of battle' moves as HMs for easy filtering. That way they could still stick with traditional names and we wouldn't have to put up with the stupid lock on the HM moves.

To Qt, they will have megas for Sceptile and Swampert. And they have some weird combination of all three title legendaries into one morphed Pokemon. I'll slap the image under a spoiler just in case.

I personally hate mega evolutions and that combo thing looks really weird but hey, just an opinion.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The difference between dig and say surf is dig is never 100% needed to progress through the game, whereas surf or cut are needed. It is definitely quite annoying, but I guess there is the option to erase it at the move deleter, but then again, a big hassle. That's why it's usually better to have HM slaves, hehe.

Oh, cool to see them getting mega, I wonder what abilities they are going to get, it'll be quite the effort to make them come close to the power level of speed boost mega-blaziken.

As for the fusion pokemon of all three legends, I wonder if it would be a legendary above all others.

King Serperior

Quote from: Qt on May 17, 2014, 05:42:54 AM
The difference between dig and say surf is dig is never 100% needed to progress through the game, whereas surf or cut are needed. It is definitely quite annoying, but I guess there is the option to erase it at the move deleter, but then again, a big hassle. That's why it's usually better to have HM slaves, hehe.

Oh, cool to see them getting mega, I wonder what abilities they are going to get, it'll be quite the effort to make them come close to the power level of speed boost mega-blaziken.

As for the fusion pokemon of all three legends, I wonder if it would be a legendary above all others.
It feels like more of a Kyrume situation than a triple fusion  >_>

That said:  Mega-Sceptile  <333333

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Arohk

I understand the differences, but I just don't see the need to differentiate them any more. Not all that much. It's not like you'd ever be lost without it, since you always keep every TM/HM with you at all times now. Just my opinion, anyways! I won't keep repeating myself and griping. XD I just wanted to clarify!

I am really curious to see Mega Sceptile. It was my favorite starter out of all of them. I really hope they give it a good design. I don't like most of the mega ones. I do like Charizard's though. And maybe a couple others are okay. But I find myself actually super curious about Sceptile~ I think King Serperior is right too- I think it'll be more along the lines of Kyuurem too.

Qt

Yeah looks like it'll be very similar to Kyurem except being a 3 pokemon fusion, a lot of possibilities there on the typing, and I wonder what the base stat that thing is going to have lol.

There's a lot of speculations on mega sceptile going to be grass/dragon, and while it looks cool on paper, with the dragon nerf and the fact that it's going to be 4x weakness to ice, I don't think it's a good type combination. But the nice thing is sceptile already learns some dragon moves.

Arohk

Definitely! I agree. I think it would make for a cool design, considering his already draconic appearance. But it would definitely be hindering considering the type weaknesses. Grass already has a disadvantage. No need to make it worse, lol.