The Emperor's Finest (Dark Heresy and Deathwatch)

Started by Pumpkin Seeds, October 27, 2012, 04:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkin Seeds

Dark Heresy and Deathwatch: The Emperor’s Finest: (Seeking Players)

The Emperor’s Finest is a game that will deviant slightly from the ordinary of the Dark Heresy setting.  Characters will be members of the Adeptus Arbites at the start of their careers, attempting to keep order and the Emperor’s Law in a world of chaotic heresy.  In particular the characters will focus their initial investigations on Hive Subrique amid the chemical oceans of planet Landunder.  From here the characters will delve into the mysterious secrets of this hive and the strange politics of the Rogue Trader that these people praise as hero. 

Another component of this game will be the required of each player to also create a member of the famed Deathwatch.  The Adeptus Astartes are feared throughout the universe as the mightiest warriors of the Emperor’s armies.  Genetically superior, perfectly trained and mentally fortified these warriors prove to be the mailed fist of mankind.  Their fight will be one of increasing complexity as the characters of the Dark Heresy begin to uncover dark truths and the enemies of man come closer to the Emperor’s Light.  I do not expect the characters of the Adeptus Astartes to be used quite so much at the beginning, having a stronger role as the initial campaign comes to climax.

My goal here is to provide a complex environment for the characters to prosper in many facets of their being.  Action will be a large part of the game so I encourage players to give their characters a fighting chance with some combat ability.  At the same time, investigation will be an integral part of the game so players may wish to also consider how their character would participate in an intellectual contest with the dark forces of this universe.  Communication, I believe, between characters is key at the opening of a game.  I do not post quickly nor do I intend to move this game at a rapid pace.  So time is not an issue during character creation.  Indeed the actual posts might begin before sheets are finalized though I do want some definite numbers before the bullets begin to fly.

As for the question of sex and sexual content, I will answer with sometimes.  Fantasy Flight Games has done a marvelous job of brushing over sex in their games, allowing for its existence away from the eyes of the reader.  I do intend to explore sex and the dark desires of the citizens in this universe.  That is not to say the game will pause for an orgy.  My focus is on sex not becoming a focal point for the group and I will have any lengthy scenes of sexual content moved to another thread should they occur.  I do not want to have the group bogged down from an already slow pace.

All that said, I do hope everyone enjoys the game I will attempt and there will be fun for all.  I am new to the world of Dark Heresy and a novice to the world of Warhammer 40k.  I do welcome private criticism to my skills as Game Master and to my knowledge of the universe.

Currently I am looking for a total of 7 players with a maximum of 10.  I do not foresee going to the maximum.  There are already two players with character sheets posted, but always subject to change since the first posts have not even been made yet.  Submissions are not on a first come, first serve basis.  Space Marines will be kept as an all-male segment, yes the feminist in me is screaming right now, and Sisters of Battle will not be accepted as a substitute for them.  Sisters will also need one hell of a background and performance to make it into the actual Dark Heresy game as I intend for that group to be focused on undercover work and investigation.

Please keep in mind that this is not a first come, first serve process.  I am indeed looking for characters and concepts that fit this setting.  Investigation, action and horror are all elements I wish to capitalize on during the course of this game. 

Main Thread

ReijiTabibito

I've just been getting into Dark Heresy, mostly through the fact that a fan mod of it is used to simulate the anime universe of Evangelion, but I'm fair game for being one of the 7 players that you would seek.  I've actually spent most of my free time the past week going over the core book.  So yay!

Will you have me?  I'm personally thinking a Void-Born or Imperial world Arbitrator...

BraveEarth

So given that they will all be Arbites will certain classes be restricted or unavailable? (Such as Psykers, Guardsmen, Scum, and possibly Priests?)

Pumpkin Seeds

Sisters of Battle will be the only one that is placed almost out of reach.  The others, with reason, can be squeezed into the setting I believe.

And certainly we can use an Arbitrator.

ReijiTabibito

Is there any sort of special gimmick you want us to use when creating our characters?  Or do we get all the standard bits, 400 XP included?

Are there any particular classes that might be more useful than others?  You note investigation, which is why I suggested an Arbitrator...

Pumpkin Seeds

Standard character creation.

As for which classes, I think each class has something to offer.  Obviously Arbitrator would be useful and possible Adept.  The Book of Judgement has a special class for Adepts that focuses on a CSI style of crime solving.  My hope is to offer clues and hints that each class can use to shine within the group.

Rel Mayer

* Rel Mayer pokes head in.

I'd like to be a mafia style crime solving verispex adept please!

Norwegian One

This sounds fun! So we need both an Arbiter character, and a Deathwatch character then? I want to do a tech adept, if possible, and a Black Templar (which would provide some interesting conflict if there's a psyker in our group, due to the Templar's hatred and distrust for psykers). Though, I've never done a system roleplay before (though I've played a couple of sessions of Dark Heresy), so I might need some help to get started :) In return, I can provide a lot of useful (and useless) background info and trivia on 40k :)
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Pumpkin Seeds

I do know there is a Librarian among the Deathwatch, a Blood Angel one I believe.  So that would be your tension there.

We also do have a Cyber Mastiff Handler which is one of the Tech Priest alternate classes, so I'm sure you could make divert types of Tech Priests.

Wargtass

How much will we actually rely on the system? It's my experience that these threads often bogs down into inactivity somewhere around the first dice-throw.

I am interested, however. Will probably try out for a DH Psyker (a specialized interrogator of the Arbites, for those hard-to-see-through criminals) and a DW Tactical (which will probably lead into a Chaplain if we make it that far). That way I'll have one that is highly susceptible to the vile corruptions of Chaos and one who is highly adamant against Chaos. From there we'll see what happens...
O/O

Pumpkin Seeds

I am not resistant to keeping dice out of the way for the most part.  By out of the way, I mean secret rolls conducted on my side of the screen.  If an action sequence is fairly intense and people are doing a good job posting tactical movement, action and really getting into the scene I won't let dice interrupt that.  If people are making the connections of an investigation, I won't let dice block their thinking.  On the other hand dice are great at keeping people grounded in "reality" of what their characters can do and also show a definite improvement with character advancement. 

Wargtass

In that case I am already working on CS. So I'll be done in about five hours.

Rolling or allotting characteristics?
O/O

Pumpkin Seeds

Rolling seems to be popular.  You can use the E roller if you like and just link me the roll.

Norwegian One

Cool! I might need some help creating the stats for my characters, as I don't have the rulebooks :P
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

ReijiTabibito

Finalized my concept.  Void-Born Arbitrator who will be going down the Intelligencer Path (I only have the corebook) if we get that far.

Wargtass

An easy little CS, just so that people can start plotting around with names and whatnot.

DARK HERESY
[b]WS:[/b]
[b]BS:[/b]
[b]S:[/b]
[b]T:[/b]
[b]Ag:[/b]
[b]Int:[/b]
[b]Per:[/b]
[b]WP:[/b]
[b]Fel:[/b]

[b]Wounds:[/b]
[b]Fate Points:[/b]

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Homeworld:[/b]
[b]Career:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Build:[/b]
[b]Skin Color:[/b]
[b]Hair Color:[/b]
[b]Eye Color:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Quirk:[/b]
[b]Planet of Birth:[/b]
[b]Divination:[/b]

[b]Traits:[/b]

[b]Basic Skills:[/b]

[b]Advanced Skills:[/b]

[b]Talents:[/b]

[b]Gear:[/b]

[b]Special Qualities:[/b]

[b]Insanity Points:[/b]
[b]Corruption Points:[/b]

[b]Thrones:[/b]

DEATHWATCH
[b]WS:[/b]
[b]BS:[/b]
[b]S:[/b]
[b]T:[/b]
[b]Ag:[/b]
[b]Int:[/b]
[b]Per:[/b]
[b]WP:[/b]
[b]Fel:[/b]

[b]Wounds:[/b]
[b]Fate Points:[/b]

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Chapter:[/b]
[b]Speciality:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b]

[b]Past Event:[/b]
[b]Chapter Demeanour:[/b]
[b]Personal Demeanour:[/b]
[b]Power Armour History:[/b]

[b]Skin Color:[/b]
[b]Hair Color:[/b]
[b]Eye Color:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Quirk:[/b]
[b]Planet of Birth:[/b]
[b]Divination:[/b]

[b]Skills:[/b] 

[b]Talents & Traits:[/b] Ambidextrous, Astartes Weapon Training, Bulging Biceps, Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight), Killing Strike, Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw, Resistance (Psychic Powers), True Grit, Unarmed Master, Unnatural Strength (x2), Unnatural Toughness (x2),

[b]Psychic Powers:[/b]

[b]Gear:[/b] 

[b]Insanity Points:[/b]
[b]Corruption Points:[/b]

[b]Renown:[/b]

EDIT: Of course if pumpkin had any other in mind I'll bow out, I just made this for my self and thought "why not share".  ;D
O/O

Muse

There's probably more qualified people than I to help with character generation, but I can help.  ^_^ 

Drop me a PM or IM, Norweegan One. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Wargtass

Just a little placeholder for now.

WS: 26
BS: 32
S: 31
T: 39
Ag: 32
Int: 30
Per: 24
WP: 33
Fel: 27

Wounds:
Fate Points:

Name: Cato Bones
Homeworld: Imperial World
Career: Sanctioned Psyker

Build:
Skin Color:
Hair Color:
Eye Color:
Quirk:
Planet of Birth:
Divination:

Traits:

Basic Skills:

Advanced Skills:

Talents:

Psychic Disciplines:

Psychic Powers:

Gear:

Special Qualities:

Insanity Points:
Corruption Points:

Thrones:

WS: 37
BS: 37
S: 38
T: 44
Ag: 45
Int: 39
Per: 38
WP: 48
Fel: 36

Wounds:
Fate Points:

Name: Morgan Gallowglass
Chapter: Storm Wardens
Speciality: Tactical Marine

Past Event:
Chapter Demeanour:
Personal Demeanour:
Power Armour History:

Skin Color:
Hair Color:
Eye Color:
Quirk:
Planet of Birth:
Divination:

Skills: 

Talents & Traits: Ambidextrous, Astartes Weapon Training, Bulging Biceps, Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight), Killing Strike, Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw, Resistance (Psychic Powers), True Grit, Unarmed Master, Unnatural Strength (x2), Unnatural Toughness (x2),

Psychic Powers:

Gear: 

Insanity Points:
Corruption Points:

Renown:
O/O

ReijiTabibito

Are we allowed to design our characters as we like (within reason)?  Ex: Normally, you roll 2d10 for each of your stats.  Do you have to decide the order you're rolling them in, and then roll them, or can you just roll the dice, once for each stat, and then decide?

IE, in the latter case you can take your 9 rolls and arrange them how you like.

Tackyhillbilly

The base character creation assumes you roll for each stat, not that you sort them yourself. The Gift roll is supposed to give you some leeway.

Pumpkin Seeds

Thus far as I have seen, people are rolling each stat separately.  I had not made a ruling on that, but people sort of did that on their own.  I would say that you can exchange one stat for another at the start for the DH, and two for the DW.

ReijiTabibito

Fair enough.  I have an online dice roller that I use when I do stuff for E.  Seeds, I assume you want me to link you to the roll?

Pumpkin Seeds

ReijiTabibito

Alright.  I'll PM you the roll in a moment...just have to decide which order I want to roll the stats in.

JohnTheGreat

40k RPG?
40k RPG!
I am so in (assuming you still need people, I skimmed a few posts).

If people still needed help with chargen http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dhroller.html this thing should be able to knock out a DH (though not DW) in about 4 minutes.