Sexual leaning statistics?

Started by Captain Maltese, August 01, 2010, 02:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

I*ve recently had it rubbed in how 'unusual' I am being a male bi. Are there statistics at Elli showing how many percent of us are this or that? Normally I wouldnæt expect anyone to keep count but the 'new' onoff system should be able to provide statistics for those who use it at least.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Trieste

We are not currently keeping statistics on this, no.

MasterMischief

Not here, but in other places I have felt like an unwanted minority for being bi...or at least classifying myself as bi.

I doubt there is any practical way to ever really know for sure.  I imagine many people hide their sexuality for any number of reasons.

Captain Maltese

I can't say I feel unwanted.... well, maybe I do. A little. I can't speak about it with my make hetero friends, and the gays I know are all 100% gay.

But it's difficult for me to imagine that people hide their sexuality much at Elli.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

MasterMischief

Like I said, not here.  Maybe I just hung out in the wrong places, but I certainly felt unwanted.  I am not 'out' in real life.  I think it should be fairly obvious why.

I imagine there are people who hide their sexuality even on E.  I think it is unfortunate as I believe E to be very accepting.

Oniya

Since the new on/offs relate to people's characters, it may not reflect how they lean in real life.  Looking at my current RPs, I see two where I play a straight male, eleven straight female, four gay male and one bi male.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MasterMischief

Quote from: Oniya on August 01, 2010, 04:23:37 PM
Since the new on/offs relate to people's characters, it may not reflect how they lean in real life.  Looking at my current RPs, I see two where I play a straight male, eleven straight female, four gay male and one bi male.

You are just all over the place, aren't you?    :P

jouzinka

Quote from: MasterMischief on August 01, 2010, 03:06:53 PMNot here, but in other places I have felt like an unwanted minority for being bi...or at least classifying myself as bi.
Sometimes I DO feel like an awkward unwanted minority on E being a 100% heterosexual and not even bi-curious...

But I guess that's just me.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

MasterMischief

Quote from: jouzinka on August 01, 2010, 05:56:04 PM
Sometimes I DO feel like an awkward unwanted minority on E being a 100% heterosexual and not even bi-curious...

I can certainly see how you would feel like a minority.  It does sadden me that you would feel unwanted.

Offers hug.

Vandren

Quote from: jouzinka on August 01, 2010, 05:56:04 PM

But I guess that's just me.

It does seem that way, sometimes.  I've had the same observation, at least of being a minority in that respect here, over the last year or two.  Being relatively "vanilla" too seems to create a second minority status.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on August 01, 2010, 04:23:37 PM
Since the new on/offs relate to people's characters, it may not reflect how they lean in real life. 

Yeah, this.

I couldn't care less what someone's real life orientation is. Straight, bi, gay, omni, pan, whatever. Irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned.

All I care about is the character a co-writer is creating. *shrug*
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

grdell

Don't worry, Captain, you are not alone. As my sig states, I am a bi male as well.

Bi men of the world unite! And have hot man sex!  ;D
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Trieste

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

WhiteyChan

Quote from: grdell on August 09, 2010, 08:28:42 AM
Don't worry, Captain, you are not alone. As my sig states, I am a bi male as well.

Bi men of the world unite! And have hot man sex!  ;D

*High fives them both in unification*

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Brandon

Well if there are people feeling unwanted then I think we all need to unite and go out to a bar for drinks. Then everyone can hit on everyone (although dont be surprised when I turn you down).

The best part is Trieste's buying!  ;D
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

JadeCore

Quote from: Captain Corto Maltese on August 01, 2010, 02:19:38 PM
I*ve recently had it rubbed in how 'unusual' I am being a male bi. Are there statistics at Elli showing how many percent of us are this or that? Normally I wouldnæt expect anyone to keep count but the 'new' onoff system should be able to provide statistics for those who use it at least.

Meh, I wouldn't worry too much. There are many many layers to human sexuality and relationships. It's as much a spectrum as anything else. I know someone who easily capable of forming same-sex emotional/romantic bonds but is not sexually attracted to the same-sex. Some men may not identify as bi though they may be attracted to men. There's also the tendency to misperceive bisexuality; TV Tropes says it best - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoBisexuals.

Much like female-on-male rape, it's just one of those things that gets severely underrepresented for a wide variety of reasons. But don't let that fool you into thinking that you're some small minority and that there aren't others out there.