Recruitment Closed: Shadowrun 4e: Heavy Metal King

Started by NotoriusBEN, May 09, 2010, 01:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriusBEN

Recruitment is Closed, but if you express interest, I'll set you on the second string bench so you'll have first crack at recruitment if the opportunity pops up.

OK, a few of us around here have been let down that a few Shadowrun games have fallen through before the game has gotten off the ground but I am hoping to rectify this. I have been jones'ing so hardcore for a game that I'm going to step up and GM one to get that monkey off my back.

So what is Shadowrun?

The shotgun answer is Cyberpunk meets Orks, Elves, and Dragons on Earth. The Game sets place roughly 60 to 70 years into our future where Magic returned to Earth in December 2012 and it mashes up with the prevalent super science of the period in the form of cybernetics, bionics, ubiquitous Internet/Matrix, and MegaCorporations.

In essence, Johnny Mnemonic meets Lord of the Rings. :P

The Player Characters are more or less part of the unrepresented masses that decided to become professional criminals. Deniable assets that can get places and do things without implicating their employer. They mainly chose this life because they are survivors, committing crimes to get by growing up or to feed the family because no other source of income is available. Some chose it because of the freedom of the shadowlife and controlling their own destinies compared to being a wage slave and kissing corporate ass day in and out. Still others are thrill seekers or altruistic Robin Hoods that try to right social injustices.

For  my purposes however, we are running Food Fight 4.0 because

1:  My Real Life Job has me coming and going all over the USA and into places that are pretty spotty with internet coverage on occasion.

2:  I would like to see if we have enough interest in 4E and the Intro campaign is a good sounding board.

If you've seen or heard about Shadowrun but were curious or afraid to ask, This Quick-Start PDF will introduce you to the Shadowrun World and even provides four archetypes that exemplify the game.

If your a veteran of 4E and feel like creating a character or using a pregenerated character from the Core Book to satisfy that urge, go ahead and do so! Just remember, that this is a one-shot at the moment and your at the local Stuffer Shack, NOT FIGHTING FOR YOUR LIFE IN THE RENRAKU ARCOLOGY.

I plan on starting as soon as I get 4 or 5 players, so here's to a good game!

Shoot, depending on interest and how it goes, we may continue with other adventures or even Denver! But that is ambition for further down the line.

EDIT: This Character Generator can help do most of the number crunching for those that want to make their own characters.

Here's the link to the Recruitment Thread. Drop a character here so that you can be placed on reserve/cameo list. (Psst.) your already in the thread
Here's the In Character Thread. where all the action and fun stuff happens.
Here's the Link to the OOC Thread. where you the viewer can talk with me and the players.
Here's the Character Sheet Thread. for easily accessed character stats.

ReijiTabibito

I have no idea what Food Fight is, but seeing as how I've got a Hacker/Security Systems expert character in the works (need to finish buying equipment and such), and Mel's campaign has fallen through...

I'm in.

Kunoichi

Same here. ^^

I'll probably wind up just re-using Timbre.  I've got another character concept I might want to try, but seeing as that one involves playing a cyborg, it would involve more than a few houserules just to make it work the way I'm picturing it. ^^;

Hikari

I'm interested, although the same obligations (see also: I'm in Korea) that would make it difficult for me to run a game right now might crop up from time to time.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

AllieCat

Admiral J

I'm in for a one shot and possibly for more.

I'd prefer to play a troll mage.

NotoriusBEN

Righteous!

Looks like we have the interest! Now we just need the characters.

Reiji and Kuno are using characters that they developed from another thread, so as soon as the other interested players submit their characters, we can get started.

Oh! I almost forgot, this Character Generator can help do a bunch of the number crunching for those that wish to make their own characters. It's a little difficult to use, but it's the best option out at the moment.

Paladin

Well I've got a character thats from an old game that Spider was running till it just stopped. Can I use him?

NotoriusBEN

Go ahead and copy/paste your characters if you already had one made. I did some digging Paladin and I found your guy and I didnt see anything glaring at the moment.

@Reiji: What else did you have to do with your character? I remember you were having issues with your comlink purchases right?

Paladin

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on May 09, 2010, 03:40:18 PM
Go ahead and copy/paste your characters if you already had one made. I did some digging Paladin and I found your guy and I didnt see anything glaring at the moment.

Where do you want it pasted? and whats food fight 4.0?

NotoriusBEN

Just paste it right here in this thread.

Food Fight 4.0 is an introductory adventure to shadowrun 4E. If we played this around the table, we'd probably be done in two hours. It's quick, dirty, and a good stepping point for anyone to just hop in and "See what Shadowrun is all about" without having to purchase the Core Book. I provided the Quick Start PDF that is a part of the kit for new players to look at and have a character ready to go. I'll agree that it is pretty rules-lite compared to the Core Book, but Im just satisfying an urge with this run and I wanted to give accessiblity to as many people on this forum as possible.

After this adventure, I'll look into others depending on how this one goes.

Kunoichi

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on May 09, 2010, 03:40:18 PM
Go ahead and copy/paste your characters if you already had one made.

Alright. ^^ Here's Timbre, then:

Quote*Karma: 3/3

*Notoriety:

*Street Cred:

*Spirits Bound: 0

*Name: Amber Goodwin
*Street Name: 'Timbre'
*Metatype: Elf

*Condition Monitor
-P [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ~ [ ][ ]
-S [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

*Body: 2
*Agility: 2
*Reaction: 3
*Strength: 2
*Charisma: 7
*Intuition: 3
*Logic: 2
*Willpower: 5

*Essence: 6
*Magic: 5
*Initiative: 6
*Init. Passes: 1(1)
*Astral Initiative: 6
*Astral Initiative Passes: 3
*Edge: 4/4

*Qualities:
Day Job I
Dependents (Band) II
Fame I
Geas (Must sing and/or play guitar)
Inspired
Magician (Unorthodox Christian Theurgist)
Pacifist I
SINner

*Active Skills:
[Intu] Artisan 4(6)
[Intu] Assensing 3
[Mag] Counterspelling 3
[Agi] Infiltration 2
[Mag] Spellcasting 4 (+2 Illusion)
[Mag] Summoning 3
~[Cha]Influence 4~
-Con
-Etiquette
-Leadership
-Negotiation

*Knowledge Skills: (15 Free SP)
~Street Knowledge[Intu]~
-Seattle Area Knowledge 4
~Academic Knowledge[Log]~
-Magical Theory 1
~Professional Knowledge[Log]~
-Seattle Area Music Venues 5
~Interests[Intu]~
-Rock Music 5

*Language Skills:
English N

*Spells:
~Combat Spells~
-Stunbolt [Type: M | Range: LOS | Damage: S | Duration: I | Drain: (F/2)-1]
~Detection Spells~
~Health Spells~
-Improved Reflexes [Type: P | Range: T | Duration: S | Drain: (F/2)+2]
~Illusion Spells~
-Improved Invisibility [Type: P | Range: LOS | Duration: S | Drain: (F/2) + 1]
-Orgasm [Type: M | Range: LOS | Duration: S | Drain: (F/2)-2]
-Trid Entertainment [Type: P | Range: LOS (A) | Duration: S | Drain: (F/2)]
~Manipulation Spells~
-Fashion [Type: P | Range: T | Duration: P | Drain: (F/2)]
-Makeover [Type: P | Range: T | Duration: P | Drain: (F/2)]

*Contacts:
~Urban Ritual (Awakened Band, Group Contact)~
-Connection 1
  -Membership: +1 (Four other members and one Fixer, a few roadies)
  -Area of Influence: +1 (Seattle Sprawl)
  -Magical Resources: +4 (Most members are Awakened)
-Loyalty 4

*Gear: 1130 ny
1,050 ny Guitar
Form-Fitting Body Armor (Half-Body Suit) [4/1]

Rating 4 Emotitoy (Angel-kun, Band Mascot)

Sony Emperor (R:2 S:3)
-Mangadyne Deva (F:2 S:3)

Rating 4 Fake SIN (Amber Genera, aspiring musician)
Rating 4 Fake SIN (Integra Marcella, aka Timbre)

Rating 2 Glasses
-Flare Compensation
-Image Link

Flashlight

Force 2 Sustaining Focus (Cross Pendant)
-Rating 4 Fake License (Registered to Amber Genera)
-Rating 4 Fake License (Registered to Integra Marcella)

Dodge Scoot

Advanced Lifestyle 1 Month
-Comforts: Low
-Entertainment: Low
-Necessities: Low
-Neighborhood: Low
-Security: Low
-Positive Qualities:
  -Easy-going Landlord
  -Perfect Roommate
  -Workplace
-Negative Qualities:

ReijiTabibito

@BEN:  I've got it almost all worked out.  It was really just a matter of organizing everything correctly and such.  But I should be alright now...I've just got to get around to actually *doing* it.

Paladin

Character Name:    Leshiel Akari
Profession:    Undercover Tir Tangir Ghost Ops
Sex:    Male

Build Points Max: 400
Build Points Used: 400

Nuyen:
Build points spent on Nuyen(47)
Nuyen: 235,000

Race:
Race:Elf
Build points spent on Race (30)
Race Notes:
Elf: Natural Low Light Vision

Contacts:
Build Points spent on Contacts (0) From Quality (Made Man)
Contact # 0   Triad Loyalty: 4      Connection Rtg: 8
Contact # 1   Enter Contact Name here   Loyalty: 0      Connection Rtg: 0
Contact # 2   Enter Contact Name here   Loyalty: 0      Connection Rtg: 0
Contact # 3   Enter Contact Name here   Loyalty: 0      Connection Rtg: 0
Contact # 4   Enter Contact Name here   Loyalty: 0      Connection Rtg: 0

Attributes: 
Build points spent on Attributes (255)
Attributes: (min/current/max)
Agility   2 / 6 (8) / 7 (8 Because of Muscle Toner 2)
Body   1 / 3 / 6
Reaction   1 / 4 (5) / 6 (5 Because of Synaptic Booster 1)
Strength   1 / 3 / 6
Charisma   3 / 4 / 8
Intuition   1 / 3 / 6
Logic   1 / 3 / 6
Willpower   1 / 3 / 6
Essence   1 / 5.1 / 6
Magic   1 / 5 / 6
Resonance   0 / 0 / 6
Edge   1 / 2 / 6

Derived Attributes:
Initiative     7 (8) Passes: 2
Memory     6
Composure     7
Judge Intentions     7
Lift/Carry     6

Walking Rate (m/turn):   10
Running Rate (m/turn):   25
Swim Rate (m/turn):      6
Lift w/out test (kg/lbs):   30/66
Overhead Lift w/out test (kg/lbs):   15/33

Condition Monitors:
Physical Track:   11
Stun Track:   11

Active SKILLS:
Build points spent on Active Skills:(98)
Automatics (Agi)      RANK 4 (5) [6]    Specialization:  Machine Pistols
Unarmed Combat (Agi)      RANK 3   Specialization:  Martial Arts
Dodge (Rea)      RANK 3
Perception (Int)      RANK 3
Shadowing (Int)      RANK 3
Infiltration (Agi)      RANK 4   Specialization:  Urban
Pilot: Groundcraft (Rea)      RANK 1   Specialization:  Bike
Group: Athletics (Str)   RANK 1 4 in group Climbing, Gymnastics, Running, Swimming
none      RANK 0

Knowledge SKILLS:
Build points spent on Knowledge Skills:(2)
interests   Beverages   Wine   RANK:2   Specialization: by Culture
professional   Security   Procedures   RANK:3
academic   Military Theory & Tactics   by Branch (air land etc)   RANK:3
interests   Music   Classic   RANK:3
academic   Biology   Para-zoology   RANK:2
academic   Physical sciences   Chemistry   RANK:2
language   English   Speak/Read/Write   RANK:1
language   Japanese   Speak/Read/Write   RANK:1

Native Language:  (free)
Sperethiel   Specialization: Speak Ancient

Qualities:
Build Points spent on  Qualities (-25)
Considered Hacker in Regard to some Qualities? NO

Positive Qualities:
Adept Special Quality (5 points)
Ambidextrous (5)   Rank 1
Made Man (10)

Negative Qualities:
Addiction - Moderate (10)   Rank 1
Flashbacks (5)   Rank 1
Spirit Bane (10)   Rank 1
Scorched -Non Hackers (5)   Rank 1
Lost loved one(5)   Rank 1

Miscellaneous:

Spells:
Build Points spent on Spells (0)
Number of Spells Purchased: 0

Spirits:
Build Points spent on Spirits (0)
Number of Spirits Purchased: 0
Number of Services per spirit: 0

Foci:
Build Points spent on Foci (0)
Number of Foci Points  0

Adept Powers:
Number of Adept Power Points  4

Improved Ability (Pistols) 1 (.5)
Killing Hands (.5)
Improved Sense (Sound Dampening, Flash Suppression) 2 (.50)
Cloak 2 (.50)
Traceless Walk (1)
Critical Strike 4 (1)

Sprites:
Build Points spent on Sprites (0)
Number of Sprites Purchased: 0
Number of Tasks per sprite: 0

Equipment:

Colt Government 2066   Damage: 5P      Recoil: 1   Mode: SA   
Base Cost: 500 6R
Firing Selection Change (BF) 2,500 12F   1 Slot
Gas Vent 3 400 6R
5 Spare Full Clips: 125
Cost: 3,400 6R

Form Fitting Body Armor (Full Suit) Avail: 8 Cost 1,600 Armor 6/2
Chameleon Suit Avail: 10R Cost: 8,000 (Built in Holsters)
Synergist Business line Longcoat: 4/2 Avail: 8 Cost: 1,300
Colt M22A3 Avail: 9R   Cost: 1,600 5 Spare Full Clips: 125

Fake License Rating 4: 12F   400
Fake License Rating 4: 12F   400
Fake SIN Rating 4: 12F   4,000
Thundercloud Contrail 5,000
Chameleon Coating 12R    6,000
Roadstrip ejector 12F 800
3 Spike strips    600
1 Zap Strip 2,500
Oil Slick Sprayer 8F   500
Smoke Projector 6R   700
Morphing License Plate 8F   1,000
Spoof Chip 8F 500
Runflats X2 500
Motorcycle Gyro stabilization system 1,800
Antitheft system 12,00
Micro-Transceiver (6) 12 (1,200
Docwagon Contract (Platinum) 50,000
Middle Lifestyle (Paid 4 Months): 20,000
Combat Glasses: 25   avail: -
Image Link: +25      -
Vision Enhancement 3: +300   +4
Vision Magnification: +100   +2
SmartLink   +500      +4R
Total Cost: 950$   Total Avail: 10R
2 pairs.
Grapple Gun 500
Stealth Rope 85
Microwire 50
Rappelling Gloves 70
2 External Smartgun Systems 800
2 Sound suppressors 600
Synaptic Booster (1) 80,000
Muscle Toner (2) 16,000
30 Doses Betel 30
10 clips Ex-Explosive rounds 1,000
10 Flash bang Grenades 300
3 Flas paks 600

200 left out of 223,000 (44 points)

Raised in the Tir Tangier by loving parents Akari wanted nothing more than to be the best. He studied hard and trained all his life finally entering the Military at 16. He strived for excellence and quickly attracted the attention of the Tir special forces. It was only a short time till he tried to move on and his request to join was quickly accepted. He was inducted into the riggers and hard training of the Ghosts. He went beyond his commanders expectations and was scheduled to be given his own team after only a couple of years.
That all changed when a container of a new experimental version of Lae’s broke in his hand during a lab accident turning this once great soldier into a mockery of what he used to be. Still he was useful and so he was given solo mission as a scout. He was destined to roam far afield to take out solo targets or to infiltrate organization and gather information so that the rest of his team could later on make a hit. He was extremely good at this and it was found that slowly his skills were coming back. Eventually he will be back to what he once was but until then he stayed a solo operative.
Now his latest mission has him working deep undercover within the Triad as he searches for a Tir defector from the old house guard who is believed to be selling advanced Tir weaponry to rebel forces. It has been a year since he went in and so far only a few leads have popped up. Things are moving slowly. What little information he has found has been sent off to his superiors and he is slowly collecting more.
His position within the triad brings him in constant contact with the dancing girls. He’s guarded them on more than one occasion. Most of them tend to take a liking to him because he doesn’t treat them like objects but like people and even though he could have his way with them he’s never tried anything with any of them. In fact he’s rather woman shy when off work which mystifies some of the dancers cause they would love to get a piece of him. He’s always polite even when he’s had to give them an order and he only does so when their lives are in danger. When on a run he’s always no nonsense and saves the jokes for after the run is over and everyone’s okay.

CmdrRenegade

I've been interested in Shadowrun for awhile.  If you have space, I'll throw my hat in.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Admiral J

Hey, I apologize -- I'm really interested in running with you guys, but I've just discovered that my SR4 book is missing, which puts a kibosh on my plans.  I'll keep an eye out for it and if it turns up in the next few days I'll toss my character your way.  Don't wait on me.

NotoriusBEN

Sorry to hear that Admiral, hope you find your book.

So from the looks of it, Kuno and Paladin have their characters posted and Reiji just needs to put his nose to the grinding wheel and get his posted to make 3 characters so far.

I'll check the thread again tomorrow and see if we have a few more characters posted.

If we have the characters posted, I'll put up a new thread for everyone to start playing in tomorrow. I *might* be tempted to play with 6 characters, but that's pushing my limits as a GM and the dynamics of a forums game. I dunno. Let's see who posts what tomorrow.

As far as the location... Seattle. Yes, yes, it's been played in alot but I live there so its what Im familiar/biased towards.

Kunoichi

Alright, switched it to Seattle. ^^

Here's hoping we're ready to go tomorrow...

ReijiTabibito

BEN, question.  Does it cost anything additional to support a second person on Low lifestyle if they're of the Negative Quality Dependent?  This'll probably affect things.

NotoriusBEN

Hmm, Im going to say that it costs 10% more of your lifestyle cost for a 10BP dependant (ie. child, friend w/benefits). Same as if you went in with another runner. For the most part, that 10% will cover the majority of your dependant's costs such as food or allowance or a small medical expense.

Hikari

I'm going to try and throw together a hacker, but I've never played 4th Edition so it could take me a bit.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  So say I wanted to buy 6 months worth of Low Lifestyle, which costs 12,000 cred.  To add a single 10 BP dependent to that, it would cost an additional 1,200 cred?

Also, random money question.  Each lifestyle has a Starting money value.  2 questions.

1 - that doesn't stack, right?  It doesn't matter if you buy 1 month or 6 months of a lifestyle, it's always the same?

2 - if you have any money left over - hopefully not - do you add that in?

@Hikari:  We've already got 1 Hacker.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  We could probably use a rigger, though.  Somebody with good driving skills could come in handy. ^^

NotoriusBEN

nope, the lifestyle costs dont stack, a Low Lifestyle is $2000 / month (not $2500 from adding squatter costs on top of it) so that dependant only adds $200 a month.

as far as left over money, check Finishing Touches on p. 88 and 89 in SR4A. For every $100 that you have left over you can add 1 to your "Starting Nuyen Roll" up to half the maximum dice result. So for a Low Lifestyle (3d6 x $50), the most you can add to your roll is 9 (3d6 is potentially 18. divide by 2 equals 9). so for $900 or more left over, you would get $450 to add to your starting nuyen. Anything else is lost.

Hikari

I could probably come up with a street samurai, but I don't think I could create a rigger I'd be in any way interested in playing.  I've always found it to be a terribly limited, limiting, and to be frank, just plain crummy role.  I'm still somewhat disappointed it didn't get mustered out completely in the 3rd to 4th conversion.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

AllieCat

Alley Kat - (Real name: Alexis Davis)

Metatype : Human
Mundane

Attributes
Body: 3
Agility: 4
Reaction: 4
Strength: 3
Charisma: 5
Intuition: 3
Logic: 3
Willpower: 3

Edge: 2
Initiative: 7
Essence: 5.3

Knowledge Skills
English : N
Japanese : 3
Knowledge (Seattle Strip Clubs 4)
Seattle Corporations 4
Lone Star Patrol Patterns 3
Seattle Gangs 4
Seattle Museums 3

Active Skills
Climbing : 3
Gymnastics : 3
Running : 3
Swimming : 3
Pistols : 4
First Aid : 3
Data Search : 3
Etiquette : 3
Negotiation : 5
Computer : 3
Hardware : 3
Con (Seduction) : 5

Positive Qualities
Quick Healer
Natural Athlete
First Impression
Ambidextrous
Double Jointed

Negative Qualities
Records on File

Cyberwares
Commlink (1/3)
Cybereyes Basic System (Rating 1)
Low-Light Vision
Smartlink

Biowares
Muscle Toner 1

Weapons
Ares Predator IV
Regular Ammo (10 shots)
Regular Ammo (10 shots)
Regular Ammo (10 shots)
Regular Ammo (10 shots)
Regular Ammo (10 shots)
Regular Ammo (10 shots)

Armors
Clothing (Regular)
Clothing (Regular)
Clothing (Chic)
Leather Jacket
Armor Jacket
Clothing (Regular)

Vehicles
Harley Scorpion (Chopper)

Commlinks

Equipments
Fake License (Rating 3)

Contacts
Alex Donovan (L:4 C:2)
Corporate Manager-Ares

Contacts
Trouble (L:3 C:4)
Fixer
Doc Slice (L:4 C:2)
Street Doc

Alley Kat is a low level runner in Seattle. She is very good at "social engineering", distracting a mark with a whispered laugh and a touch on the arm while her teammates search for the mark's secrets.. She will take it as far as she needs to (even in certain occasions, sleeping with the mark, but she always asks for additional money from such runs).

She generally worked solo, or with groups short-term, which sometimes limited the jobs that were available, so during down times, she'll moonlight as a go-go dancer, or stripper just to make ends meet. That was her downfall two years ago, as Lone Star raided a club where she was working. Normally, she wouldn't have had trouble making her escape (she had planned out an escape route that she was sure would get herself out of the area).. but since she  was on stage at the time, finishing up a set escaping was.. too problematic (There are few things that will faze Seattle-ites, but a naked woman running and bouncing from fire escape to roof and back probably would be one of them) . She got off with only a fine (for unlicensed adult entertainment), but since she was SIN-less, she got one issued to her.. whether she wanted it or not. (she didn't)

So, she has a "criminal" SIN in the system that she's been hoping to get a hacker or technomancer to erase, but never could really afford the requisite services. She was very happy to see Knight Errant replace Lone Star as Seattle's police provider.. but inside she knows that it probably doesn't make any difference. After this long, her vitals are probably in many different databases. So she works smarter, now, hoping to make sure that she doesn't make that second mistake that ties her back to her prior record.

Opheliac

Oh sweet goddess im in this! Ive only play Shadowrun 3 tho, so give me a day to throw up a sheet. Ive had characters pretty much set from SR3 so it wont take me long, except for my finals.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Hikari on May 10, 2010, 01:42:41 AM
I could probably come up with a street samurai, but I don't think I could create a rigger I'd be in any way interested in playing.  I've always found it to be a terribly limited, limiting, and to be frank, just plain crummy role.  I'm still somewhat disappointed it didn't get mustered out completely in the 3rd to 4th conversion.

Rather than get thrown out completely, it was more rolled in together with the hacker. ^^; I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to play one, though.

Hikari

Yeah.  Mechanically, there's no real problem with them--in fact in SR3 I'd argue they were disturbingly overpowered if properly designed--but there's a reason the rigger is always the 'odd man out'/'last for kickball' when people make characters.  The role is just better relegated to an NPC, usually.  (Decker used to be in much the same boat, but the move to a more GitS-style AR/Wireless Matrix and far more streamlined hacking rules seems to have brought them into their own.)

From the look of things, we have a face-y samurai and an infiltration expert.  I suppose a straight up combat samurai would fill in the biggest blank.  Do you think a gunslinger adept or a more conventional "infantryman" type samurai (automatics/shotguns, melee, lots of damage resistance, etc.) would be a better fit?
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

ReijiTabibito

Well, I know that one thing the group is lacking right now is heavy weapons.  Kunoichi's character is a Mage, and my character's a Hacker, and from what I can tell, the heaviest weapon we have in the group is my Hacker's Defiance T-250 shotgun.  Aside from Kunoichi's mage magic, which is FRIGHTENING.

Opheliac

Im rolling up a combat samurai right now, actually. Unfortunately, im only familiar with SR3, so im kinda winging it.

Kunoichi

I say you should go with whatever you think you'd have more fun with. ^^

As far as roles go, though, we don't have any drivers, either. ^^; Not that that's a request, or anything, just more making an observation that Samurai types tend to have good enough Reaction to also make for excellent drivers.

And Reiji, just because I can spam Force 8 Stunbolts all day long doesn't make my character's magic frightening.  Heck, she doesn't even have decent summoning skills... >>;

ReijiTabibito

All I'm saying, is that spamming Force 8 Stunbolts all day makes for dealing with baddies a bit easier.

Opheliac

Can anybody quickly rattle off the differences between character creation from SR3 to SR4?

ReijiTabibito

Quickly?

How about instead of making priorities this time, you're given a pool of points with which to buy everything?

Kunoichi

Well, the biggest difference, as I recall, is the switch from a priority system to a point-based one.

You typically start off with 400 Build Points, can spend no more than half that on your stats, your Metatype costs a certain amount of points, you can get a few extra points by taking negative qualities...

There's an entire character creation chapter in the main book that walks you through the entire process, if you've got a copy. ^^;

Opheliac

Ive only got the SR3 books. I dont have SR4.

Kunoichi

Ah.  Walking you through the process won't be too difficult, though it will be time-consuming... ^^;

Hikari

Unfortunately, SR4 isn't really an incremental update, it's more a re-imagining (ala D&D 3rd to 4th), so you might need to have a go at the rulebook to really understand the beast you're dealing with.  A lot of the same items are still in place, true, but there's often a fundamental difference in how they interact with the system due to changes in rules to attribute maximums, dicepool calculations, the complete revision of the roll resolution mechanic, and a general balance pass on all prices for cybernetics, biotech, etc.

There are concepts that translate (ie, a sammy with Wired Reflexes 3 is still crazy fast), but the fine execution has changed dramatically.  You might be best off just conveying the overall idea of your character to someone and letting them try to match the stats for you/make recommendations.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Opheliac

Well, would it work if I was to hand one of you guys an SR3 sammy to convert to 4? At least until I can go get and read the book?

ReijiTabibito

Actually...that might work out the best, handing us a 3rd ed character to be converted to 4th.  You might lose some things in the transfer, and probably miss out on the Quality section, but that could work...

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Depending on how the conversion goes, there might even be points left over...

Hikari

It can sort of work, I'd just advise being open to some revisions for the sake of playability.  For example, Agility (the stat the replaces Quickness) now adds directly to your dice pool for virtually all attacks, making it far more valuable than its predecessor (which primarily lowered the cost of learning Pistols skill, for instance, but didn't add dice to using it).  As such, Muscle Toner is now much more of a direct "combat upgrade" than it ever was in SR3.  Another good example is that your Reaction stat is now your chief defensive value, making it far more than just the "initiative modifier" it was before, while bonus initiative dice are now automatic additional initiative passes.

So, whereas Wired Reflexes 3 might have made you a combat monster in SR3, in SR4 you'd probably be better served with WR1 and some mix of Reaction Enhancers and Muscle Toner.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Opheliac

Dammit, my character builder program cant be run at school. I'll have to wait until I get home. :(

Kunoichi

Quote from: Hikari on May 10, 2010, 05:34:07 PM
Another good example is that your Reaction stat is now your chief defensive value, making it far more than just the "initiative modifier" it was before, while bonus initiative dice are now automatic additional initiative passes.

So, whereas Wired Reflexes 3 might have made you a combat monster in SR3, in SR4 you'd probably be better served with WR1 and some mix of Reaction Enhancers and Muscle Toner.

Actually, bonus initiative dice aren't automatic additional initiative passes.  Implants that give you extra passes just also add to your Reaction, and thus enhance your initiative, is all.

And extra initiative passes are still pretty important in SR4.  Wired Reflexes 3 will still help to make you a combat monster, you'll just also need to pump up your Agility alongside it.

At the very least, having everyone have the same number of Initiative passes definitely helps avoid making combat dull for anyone. ^^;

Opheliac

Ive been messing with SR4 character creators, and it seems that 250000 nuyen is the most you can start with at creation? What happened to the 1 million? I ran out of cash before I ran out of essence!

Kunoichi

Yep.  You can only spend a total of 50 points on starting cash, and each point is worth 5,000 nuyen.  Any particular list of items you're going for? ^^;

ReijiTabibito

Oh, and you have a limit on Availability at the start.  So, you couldn't buy Wired Reflexes 3, but you can get 2.

Opheliac

Wired Reflexes 1, Cybernetic arms (both full), legs (both full), Bone lacing, Cyber eyes (thermo, enhanced, smartlink, magnify,flash supress), muscle toner, reaction enhancer. This puts me way over, and I havent even started buying guns!

ReijiTabibito

Are you sure?  You've got 250,000 to spend...

Then again, I'm just a hacker - all I need to buy are a couple of commlinks and full sets of programs and I'm pretty much OK to go, aside from typical runner needs.

Hikari

There is a Quality (Born Rich) that can allow you to spend up to 60 BP on gear, but the character generator program probably doesn't parse it right, as it seems to have some issues with applying the effects of Qualities like that to later stages in the process.  (I don't think it knows how to deal with Type O System or Biocompatability, either.)  If you're finding yourself awash in Essence and short on nuyen, there's always the old standby: replace bioware with equivalent cyberware, and downgrade to standard instead of Alpha.  This is actually a much more practical option in SR4 than it was in SR3, since (with judicious use of bioware) you're no longer likely to run out of Essence ten seconds into a spending spree.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Kunoichi

Well, I know that Cybernetic limbs aren't exactly all that useful in this edition unless you spend some nuyen tricking them out.  If you pulled those off your list, would you have some money to spare?

Edit: To illustrate my point, the sample Street Samurai in the book has Alphaware Wired Reflexes 2, Alphaware Dermal Plating 2, Alphaware Muscle Replacement 2, and then some Rating 3 Cybereyes packed with helpful vision mods. ^^; After that, he had enough leftover for a katana, two knives, four guns, ammo for each, a motorcycle, body armor...

ReijiTabibito

Kuno is right.  Perhaps the most important thing for your street sam to buy would be Wired Reflexes 2 - it gives you a +2 to your Reaction stat, and it gives you 2 extra actions per turn.  Granted, the base version takes half your Essence, but seeing as how you can only buy base and Alphaware versions at creation, it's not a bad trade-off.

Hikari

Sadly, they're actually quite a bit better than they used to be, but...  "the more things change," right?  They are still prohibitively expensive in both nuyen and essence for very little real benefit, especially if you have the sheer temerity to go with Synthetics.  Cyberlimbs, in cyberpunk, the nerve of you!  (It actually makes a bit more sense now that SR is "transhumanism" rather than traditional "cyberpunk," but it's always grated at me regardless.)  Also with four limbs you aren't going to get much juice out of them unless you also install a cybertorso, and four full limbs plus a torso is basically your entirely allowable pool of Essence and nuyen.

As someone who'd really like to make a (playable) "full synthetic" character I understand your pain, but it just doesn't work worth a crap with starting resources.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Opheliac

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on May 10, 2010, 06:17:16 PM
Are you sure?  You've got 250,000 to spend...

Yeah. Its 20K per arm and leg.

Hikari

They do cost you an arm and a leg, yes.  (rimshot)
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Kunoichi

Hmm.  But an obvious cyberhand only costs 5,000 nuyen, and you could put a cyberarm gyromount in for 6,000, getting yourself some excellent recoil compensation...

Edit: Ah, but a cyberarm gyromount is extremely illegal, so you'd want to make sure not to get caught if you decide to go for it. ^^; You can't even get a fake license for it, unfortunately.

NotoriusBEN

I leave on a plane for 6 hours and this thread explodes. >.>

Ok so it looks like:

Reiji-            Hacker
Kuno-           Mage                              submitted
Paladin-        Infiltrator                       submitted
AlleyCat-      Go Go Girl Face               submitted
Opheliac-     Street Samurai
Hikari-          Street Samurai (?)

That makes six and that is the most I can handle. Thanks for all the interest sent in via posts and PMs people. PLEASE KEEP CHECKING BACK FROM TIME TO TIME. I may be able to pop you in as a cameo NPC or something.

And a big thank you to those of you helping Opheliac getting her samurai in order. I do have a soft spot for the occasional car chase (outside of the current scope of this game at the moment), but I'll make it more "Cannonball Run" compared to "Transporter 3" if wheelman arent what people want to play.

Let me get cleaned up and I'll go ahead and post an intro piece so that we can get moving, but I -will- need characters posted sooner rather than later (like wednesday or thursday sooner)

ReijiTabibito

My character is almost done.  I'm working up my free Knowledge Skill points now, and then I just have to format it...BEN, question.  Can we use the Advanced Lifestyle rules on this one?  Kuno said her character was built using them, and you approved her...

Also, I'm wondering.  Which is the biggest security company in Seattle?  Is it still Lone Star?

NotoriusBEN

yes, you can use the advanced lifestyle if you choose, I have a very big warm fuzzy feeling that this will go beyond food fight. ^^

and yes, Lone Star is still the top dog in Seattle, but Knight Errant is starting to take over certain districts due to the Tempo craze (more on that later).
We are going to be in the first quarter of 2071, after the big Techomancer scare, but before Tempo makes a big name on the streets.

ReijiTabibito

Okay, good.  I was planning on taking a Knowledge Skill related to the top company in Seattle, and Lone Star is one of the presets set into the chara creation program.

Kunoichi

Hooray, my first long-term Shadowrun game! ;D

*has never had any irl games get past the first mission*

ReijiTabibito

Hey, BEN, ah, anyway to add a specialty to a skill in the chara generator?

NotoriusBEN

yes, just click the skills button, then click on the skill that you would like to add to your character (eg. blades), then in the middle window should be a list of specialties (e. axes, cyber implants, swords, knifes, etc.) and there is a button underneath that says "Add Spe" click that button to add specialties. The + and - buttons add or subract rating levels to your skills

make sure you are in a skill tab like "combat" or "computer" and not the "Group Skill" tab

ReijiTabibito

No, I mean a NEW specialty.  One that isn't pre-loaded into the program.  Example.  I want my character to have Club Music as a Knowledge Skill, with Electro-pop as a specialty.  But E-pop isn't a specialty in the program.

NotoriusBEN

oh :P

cant help you with that, just put something similar inside to use up the space and then change it when you copy the printout over to E. Like I said, it doesnt have everything listed, but it helps with number crunching

NotoriusBEN

oh! also, if you guys have small pics of your characters that I can make tokens for the maps that would be perfect!

If you've seen the pics in SR4 or SR4A, that's the ideal flavor I'm looking for, but anything from realistic drawings to anime are perfect. Lord knows that Im going to have a field day looking for baddies :P

ReijiTabibito

How small are we talking, exactly?  Also, a couple of questions.

What's the difference between:

Security Design (with a Matrix specialization) and Matrix Security?

Security Procedures (with a Lone Star specializtion) and Lone Star Procedures?

Security Procedures and Corp. Security Tactics?

Paladin

Actually My character is  Phys Adept mix of Infiltrator and Gun Fu master.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  I guess I'd have to go with this picture, as the closest thing I could find to my character. ^^; If you crop it down to just the face or head, it should work well for your purposes.

Edit: Or maybe this?

Edit2: *needs to make up her mind*

Or this, this, or maybe this... ><;

NotoriusBEN

that's one thing I wish they explained a little bit in SR4 :S

Here is my take on them:
Think of Knowledge skills as "keywords" that you can roll against to see if your character actually knows what is being discussed. As the GM, I use those generalities or specifics in how I convey information that your character knows.

The more focused your keywords, the more likely your character knows the subtleties of the topic, but the less often it would come up.

So~

Security Design would be the catch all term for anything that needed to be secured whether it was matrix storage, or key locks or staff rotations etc as it pertains to "Security Design". having that Matrix Specialty means that you have more emphasis in Security Designs as it pertains to the Matrix, but still have the General Knowledge.

You would know how the Corps set up their Security based on certain tried and true methods, like using Biometrics to allow employee access, but you might not know that Renraku just started to include a new Arcane Ritual along with the usual run of the mill things.

Now, Matrix Security on the otherhand, is more specific than just Security Design. You would again know the tried and true methonds of security as it pertained to the matrix, and there is the possiblity that you would know Ares just updated their IC programs. Specialize in Ares and you would be able to pull up Specs on that new IC.

Make sense?

ReijiTabibito

I think so...and yeah, it would have helped if they expanded upon it in ONE of the books...

Kunoichi

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've got a question of my own:

My character, Timbre, has the negative quality Geas (Must sing and/or play guitar), which basically means that her magic isn't anywhere near as powerful as it would normally be unless she either sings, plays the guitar, or does both while casting.

The question I'd like to ask is, does playing the air guitar count? ^^;

ReijiTabibito

Kunoichi

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on May 10, 2010, 11:12:23 PM
It's Yui-chaaaaaaaan~!  <3333

The last picture in my little list?  Yeah. ^^; That one, the one with the cat, and the very first one fit my mental image of what she's like in her day to day life walking around on the street, while the others are more of what she's like on stage.

Edit: And since fashion and makeover let her change her clothing and hair at her convenience... >>; Well, you can see my dilemma.

ReijiTabibito

Hey, you aren't going to hear me complaining.  I LOVE most of the girls that you've picked out for pictures for your character.

Speaking of, I need to find my own picture...

NotoriusBEN

darn it, Im in a hotel right now so I can't consult Street Magic D:

Well~ that's the geas you chose for Timbre, Kuno. Im going to say no to air guitar. While you may have to sing, nothing says you have to sing *loudly* does it?

Kunoichi

xD I know.  I was more asking because I liked the mental image, rather than out of any desire for stealth.  Crazy elven mage strumming her air guitar and knocking out the guard is just a hilarious picture to me.

I own Street Magic, so if you want to consult something, I'd be happy to help out. ^^

Opheliac

I just picked up the Shadowrun 4 books (Dont ask me how. >.> cough), and Im currently going through it right now. I'll post a character soon.

Kunoichi

Alright. ^^ The sample Street Samurai in the main rulebook might be a good guideline for you to work off of.

NotoriusBEN

ReijiTabibito

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Hacker!

*Name: Allen MacNeil
*Street Name: The Hacking Hammer (Hammer for short)
*Metatype: Human

*Condition Monitor
-P [][][][][][][][][]
-S [][][][][][][][][][]

*Body: 3
*Agility: 3
*Reaction: 3 (5)
*Strength: 3
*Charisma: 3
*Intuition: 4
*Logic: 5
*Willpower: 4

*Essence: 3
*Initiative: 7 (9)
*Initiative Passes: 1 (3)
*Matrix Initiative: 9
*Matrix Initiative Passes: 3/2 (AR/VR)
*Edge: 2

*Qualities:
Analytical Mind
Codeslinger
Deep Cover
Dependents II (10 BP)
Records on File
SINner
Spirit Bane

*Active Skills:
~[Log] Electronics 4~
-Computer
-Data Search
-Hardware
-Software
[Log] Cybercombat 5
[Log] Hacking 5 (+2 Exploit)
[Agi] Pistols 4
[Agi] Infiltration 3
[Int] Perception 3
[Log] Electronic Warfare 2
[Agi] Longarms 2 (+2 Shotgun)
[React] Dodge 1
[Cha] Etiquette 1
[React] Pilot Ground Craft 1

*Knowledge Skills (27 free SP)
~Street Knowledge [Int]~
Seattle Area Knowledge 4
~Professional Knowledge [Log]~
Corp. Security Tactics 4
Lone Star Procedures 4
Matrix Security 4
Security Design 4 (+2 Matrix)
Security Procedures 4
~Interests [Int]~
Club Music 2 (+2 Electro-Pop)

*Language Skills:
English N

*Contacts
~‘Twitch’~
-Hacker
-Connection 4
-Loyalty 4
~Jones~
-Fixer
-Connection 3
-Loyalty 2

*Gear

~Weapons~
Fichetti Security 600 (1 Spare Clip; 120 rounds)
Beretta 101T (3 Spare Clips; 120 rounds)
Cavalier Deputy (3 Speedloaders; 90 rounds)
Morrissey Alta (2 Spare Clips; 120 rounds; Silencer)
Defiance T-250 (50 rounds; 50 Stick-n-Shock; Sling)
Hidden Gun Arm Slide

~Armor~
Form-Fitting Body Armor Full-Body Suit (6 Ballistic/2 Body)

~Vehicles~
Suzuki Mirage (Handling +2; Accel 20/50; Speed 200; Pilot 1; Body 6; Armor 4; Sensor 1)

~Commlinks~
Primary Commlink: Hermes Ikon (Response 5, Signal 5)
-Upgraded Response and Signal
-Operating System: Firewall 5, System 5
-Common Use Programs: Analyze, Browse, Command, Edit, Encrypt, Scan (Rating 5)
-Hacking Programs: Armor, Attack, Biofeedback Filters, Black Hammer, Data Bomb, Decrypt, Defuse, Exploit, Medic, Sniffer, Spoof, Stealth, Track (Rating 5)

Secondary Commlink: Hermes Ikon (Response 5, Signal 3)
-Upgraded Response
-Operating System: Firewall 5, System 5
-Common Use Programs: Analyze, Browse, Command, Edit, Encrypt, Scan (Rating 5)
-Hacking Programs: Armor, Attack, Biofeedback Filters, Black Hammer, Data Bomb, Decrypt, Defuse, Exploit, Medic, Sniffer, Spoof, Stealth, Track (Rating 4)

~Matrix Gear~
AR Gloves (2x)
Sim Module (2x)
Trodes (2x)

~Cyberware~
Rating 2 Wired Reflexes

~Other Gear~
Goggles (Thermographic Vision, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement Rating 2)
Certified Platinum Credstick
Certified Gold Credstick
Certified Silver Credstick (2x)
Rating 4 Fake SIN (Mark Gibbs, Private Investigator)
Rating 4 Fake Driver’s License
Rating 4 Fake Weapons License (Beretta 101T)
Rating 4 Fake Weapons License (Fichetti Security 600)
Rating 4 Fake Weapons License (Cavalier Deputy)
Rating 4 Fake Weapons License (Morrissey Alta)
Rating 4 Fake Weapons License (Defiance T-250)
Rating 4 Fake SIN (J. Michael McGee, Freelance Programmer)
Rating 4 Fake Driver’s License
Rating 4 Fake Weapons License (Beretta 101T)
Shop (Hardware Skill)
Light Stick (6x)
Rating 2 Cellular Glove Molder
Rating 4 Keycard Copier

Advanced Lifestyle: 6 Months
-Comforts: Low
-Entertainment: Low
-Necessities: Low
-Neighborhood: Low
-Security: Medium
-Positive Qualities:
  -Workplace
-Negative Qualities:
  -Crash Pad
  -Green Plan
Dependent Paid For

EDIT:  Oops...looks like I got Logic & Intuition flipped around...  >_<

Kunoichi

Hmm.

Reiji, did you remember to get Operating Systems for your commlinks?  They should be listed, but I don't see them on your character writeup...

ReijiTabibito

Ah, yes, I did.  And the Operating Systems that you see in the books (like the Novatech Navi, for instance) are just program suites of a System and a Firewall program, at a reduced cost.  I've got them.  Lemme just add them in...

Kunoichi

Alright. ^^ Looks like you've got a pretty good Hacker character, then.

Now then, I guess I should make Timbre's introductory post...

ReijiTabibito

He's one of the best, for a starter.  His nickname is 'The Hammer' because he beats his opponents into submission, typically with, you guessed it, a Black Hammer program.

Woe to the Hacker in Hot-Sim who meets him...

Kunoichi

Oh, it doesn't even require Hot-Sim, actually.  Even Cold, Black Hammer drags them into Hot, kicking and screaming. ^^

Which means said hacker had better hope he has a good Biofeedback Filter program...

AllieCat

ReijiTabibito

And the crazy part is...in AR, at Meat-speed, he's just as fast as he would be plugged into a full Hot-Sim.  So, he can hit you with a Black Hammer, and avoid yours, since he's not in VR.

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!

Yoko.  Niiiiiiice.  ^_~

Hikari

I'm working on a Gunslinger (Girl) Adept since Alley Kat seems to have the heavy combat samurai angle covered.  I've still got to put on the finishing touches (the endless equipment list, ugh; maybe I'll just be chronically underequipped and call it a day!), but unfortunately I'm about to go on a 12-hour shift, so it'll be a while.

The basic premise, though, is pretty simple: massive agility, improved ability: pistols, reflexes, ambidexterity, and the Firefight martial arts style.  Less QQ, more pew-pew.  The character was raised by members of a Nichiren (a Buddhist denomination that believes the world will ultimately be thrown into an unprecedented conflict that will scour the globe and pave the way for universal and eternal peace) conspiracy scattered through Japanese megacorps and politics, mistakenly believed to be an outlier to the Imperial line due to the physical expression of her albinism.  The sect broke ways over Saito's failed California campaign and the events of the Crash, and she ended up drifting into the corporate world where the unique skillset of a post-modern militant monk has few outlets.

Nicknamed "Reaper" (often with an amusing derogatory preceding or following, such as "Little Reaper" or "Reaper the Kid") because of the black cloak she favors to combat her extreme sunlight sensitivity, she's an artist whose masterpiece is a carnage-strewn battlefield; an akimbo assassin who weaves through firefights with a pistol in each hand, defying all the traditions and common sense of combat with firearms in favor of a dazzling, madcap style.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Kunoichi

Ooh, sounds like quite the flavorful description. ^^

Opheliac

Sweet Jeebus. So, with a bunch of quick reading, 2 DIFFERENT character creators working in tandem (One was great for skills and qualities, but shit tastic for gear and cyberware... The second was great for gear, but lack luster on explaining what was what!), and then piecemealing this together.... I give you, Aisha!

[Character Sheet removed, edited, and reposted into a new post]

Kunoichi

Nice character. ^^

Would you be open to any mechanical suggestions, or are you satisfied with her as she is?

Opheliac

Suggest away! I will always listen to advice, however implentation of said advice is solely up to the whims of whosawhatsits.

Kunoichi

Alright.  In that case, the first thing that leaps out at me is that you don't seem to have a commlink. ^^; Additionally, your light military armor is something that you won't exactly be able to wear while out on the street, and it's likely to draw undue attention on most runs.  If you still want to keep it around, then it's great to have as an ace in the hole if things go wrong, but for the most part, you'll want a more normal set of armor for everyday work and missions.  The basic armor jacket can be pretty good for those purposes.

For your qualities, Uncouth is generally thought of as a pretty terrible negative quality to take because, in addition to making you useless in social situations, it causes you to automatically fail opposed intimidate checks when someone is trying to intimidate you.  You can get the same general effect without being really easy to intimidate by taking the Incompetent flaw for each of the four skills in the Influence group, instead.  It'll even be worth the same about of BP. ^^

For your skills, rather than taking the firearms group at 3, it might be better to focus on one or two skills from it, and instead get them up to 4 or 5.  You also seem to be trying to go in a few too many directions at once with your skills, when it might be better to specialize a bit more.

The Radar Sensor was definitely a good choice, though. ;D

Opheliac

Ah, I didnt know that about Uncouth. I'll change that immediately.

I have a commlink dear. Its built into my head. :P Commlink head implant with datajack port. Its in my cyberware section. The AR glove is so I can point and manipulate stuff in it.

I took the Firearms group because I need Longarms for the Sniper and shotgun modes of the XM30, Automatics for the Assault Rifle and Carbine modes, and Heavy for LMG and grenade. It seemed to be the cheapest route to cover what I needed. Heavy isnt a part of it, so I had to take that on the side, but pistols lets me use my backup sidearm, so....

I wanted the demolitions because that fit my character concept theme, and Armorer (Explosives) lets me make my own kaboomies.

Blades (Cyber implants) because the Urban Kshatriya suite comes with a cyber stabby on each forearm.

Athletics group because I want a basic knowledge of that stuff too. Climbing, running, jumping, tomfoolery.

Kunoichi

Ah.  I missed out on that. ^^;  Any particular reason for having an implanted commlink over a normal one, though?  It's more expensive and uses up essence that you could put to use for some other piece of useful cyberware, if you so chose.

Now that I've got my books open, the Urban Kshatriya suite isn't exactly all that useful to you, either.  The Reaction Enhancer doesn't stack with your Wired Reflexes, the biomonitor with autoinjector is only good for getting you addicted to combat drugs, and the cyberspurs are basically bringing a knife to a gun-fight.  Cybereyes are always a useful enhancement, though, and the muscle replacement is pretty good, too.

You could probably get the alphaware version of the Lone Star SWAT suite, instead, then put the money you saved into alphaware versions of some of your other implants, pick up some Muscle Replacement, and use the BP you got back from that Restricted Gear quality to improve your skills a bit more, if you wanted.  The description for Lone Star SWAT says that similar suites are used in military units, so it even fits in with your character's backstory. ^^

Edit: Or, actually, rather than putting the 5 BP from Restricted Gear into your skills, you'd probably get the quality Restricted Gear (HK XM30), because that gun is availability 15, and you're only normally allowed up to 12 at the start of the game. ^^;

Opheliac

I was thinking about that, but the Lone star one only has plastic bone lacing, and it doesnt have tricked out eyes.

Kunoichi

It does have tricked-out eyes, actually, just not tricked-out cybereyes.  Instead, Thermographic Vision, Flare Compensation, and a Smartlink are built right into the eyes themselves.

As for plastic bone lacing, it does have the benefit of not setting off metal detectors. ;) Combine it with rating 2 Dermal Plating, and you'll be almost as difficult to kill for the same amount of essence and significantly less money.

Plus, you can always upgrade during the game itself...

Opheliac

Hmm, Actually, for the same essence, I can remove the suite period, add the Cybereyes Rating 3 and trick it out completely, and Muscle Replacement Rating 2 (alpha) and Dermal Plating 1 (alpha), but I have to make the bone lacing and radar sweeper alpha too. I dropped the internal commlink because youre right. Its just meh.

And as a side note, the char generator says Reaction Enhancers stack. Double checked it in the book... The programs wrong.

EDIT: Replaced the sheet up above with the edited one.

EDIT 2: I just read Wired Reflexes, which states the only thing it stacks with is Reaction Enhancers. It is very specific. XD Oh well. Im out of essence. XD

Kunoichi

Alright.  Happy to have made some helpful suggestions, then. ^^ I guess I'd better head to bed.

Opheliac

Quote from: Opheliac on May 11, 2010, 06:15:51 AM
And as a side note, the char generator says Reaction Enhancers stack. Double checked it in the book... The programs wrong.

I just read Wired Reflexes, which states the only thing it stacks with is Reaction Enhancers. It is very specific. I really don't need titanium lacing when ceramic isnt nearly as gluttonous with my essence, so im going to fiddle with the sheet again. Then Im going to bed before I fiddle with it more!

Kunoichi

Strange.  My own copy says that Wired Reflexes doesn't stack with any other form of initiative enchancement. Oo;

Looking over your altered character sheet now, though, I'd have to say that it looks pretty good. ^^ The only last note I've got is that any money leftover from character generation doesn't carry over into the game itself, (starting nuyen is determined by lifestyle,) so if 'Nuyen Remaining: 29180' is what I think it is, you'll probably want to spend some of that, and convert the rest back into BP.

I recommend stick-n-shock ammo, myself. ;D It's nonlethal, ignores half the enemy's armor, works on drones...  Massively useful, so always a wise investment.

Paladin

Quote from: Opheliac on May 11, 2010, 07:28:42 AM
I just read Wired Reflexes, which states the only thing it stacks with is Reaction Enhancers. It is very specific. I really don't need titanium lacing when ceramic isnt nearly as gluttonous with my essence, so im going to fiddle with the sheet again. Then Im going to bed before I fiddle with it more!

Umm be sure to check the Eratta. If you don't have that then the An eversary edition 70$ or something like that TRUMPS all other editions as its the most recent. Its also full color.

NotoriusBEN

great posts so far guys! Im going to take a look over the character sheets really quickly just to make sure they are all here. Word to the wise, make sure you have your props all ready to go before you even start a recruit thread :P

It's nothing serious, but I wouldnt be scrambling half as much otherwise, haha.

Kunoichi

Ah, but speaking of starting nuyen... >>;

Starting nuyen for Low lifestyle. Multiply result by 50. (3d6=3)

I guess Timbre's walking around with just 150 nuyen in her bank account. ^^;

ReijiTabibito

Opheliac

Quote from: Paladin on May 11, 2010, 07:06:16 PM
Umm be sure to check the Eratta. If you don't have that then the An eversary edition 70$ or something like that TRUMPS all other editions as its the most recent. Its also full color.

The copy I have is the 20th anneverary edition.

Mmkay, I'll buy more goodies, and shunt some cash back into BP... Maybe pick up an extra attribute.

Kunoichi

Hmm, I guess one of us has a book with a mistake in it, then.  Probably something to ask Ben to give a ruling on.

If he rules that they don't stack, Wired Reflexes 2 might be an option to consider.

Opheliac

I played with that. Id need Deltaware WR2s to fit with my essence

Kunoichi

Hmm.  If you took out your cyberears or orientation system, would there be enough room then? ^^; I can see why you'd want those, but at the same time they're not strictly necessary.

Opheliac

That would put me at exactly 0 essence, taking out the reaction enhancer, the cyber ears and the orientation system, and putting in alpha WR2s

Kunoichi

NotoriusBEN

on page 342 of the SR4A, it says that WR and reaction enhancers are pretty much the only way to stack initiative. (thank god to the new indexing system, it even cross references the other core books :D )

even then, WR is sick in it's own right granting extra turns in combat. with reaction enhancers, Ophie is pretty much the cyber equivalent of jedi.

ReijiTabibito

BEN is right. Oph's Street Sam is good for a starter.  Granted, I have WR II and 2 initiative passes...but that's because I'm the hacker, and I'm going to need all those actions to be able to do stuff in cyberspace.

Kunoichi

*has been working off the regular 4th edition and the Anniversary Edition changes document, herself*

Huh.  I guess they forgot to put that part into that particular document.  Thank you for clearing it up for me, Ben. ^^

Edit: And my apologies for wasting your time with that wired reflexes suggestion, Ophe. ^^;

Opheliac

Oh its no problem. :)

And im thinking of getting rid of the milspec armor, and just keeping the form fitting. The milspec is expensive, and I'll be arrested as soon as I put it on. I can use the money for other things, as well as giving me one of the rare item qualities back.

ReijiTabibito

Kunoichi

Quote from: Opheliac on May 11, 2010, 09:16:26 PM
Oh its no problem. :)

And im thinking of getting rid of the milspec armor, and just keeping the form fitting. The milspec is expensive, and I'll be arrested as soon as I put it on. I can use the money for other things, as well as giving me one of the rare item qualities back.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  You can actually wear Form-Fitting Body Armor underneath a second set of regular armor and have them stack, and the Form-Fitting armor will only add half its total armor value to encumberance, so you could probably get away with wearing a second set of armor over it, if you want.  An Armor Jacket would get you 14/8 Ballistic/Impact without encumberance, for example. ;D

Then you could trick out the armor if you wanted, or add in any other extra bits of gear you wanted to buy. ^^

NotoriusBEN

kind of a good thing that replies are slow tonight ^^;

tokens ahoy!

Opheliac

Oh my goddess. *hides face* I was doing my cyber modifications without including the 10% essence bonus.

NotoriusBEN

what does the text say for biocompatibility? that's the 10% essence thing your talking about right? p. 20 augmentation

(Like I said, the super index in SR4A is awesome...)

Kunoichi

xD Well, that's alright.  I guess it means you've got some essence to spare, right?

Anyway, Ben, I've decided which of the pictures I linked to I'd use for my character: The first one, with the elf fits my concept best. ^^

NotoriusBEN

that's good kuno, because that's the one I was going to use :P

ReijiTabibito

Ah, BEN?  We have a problem...I looked at AllieCat's character sheet...she's missing some of her free Knowledge Skill points.  She's got 9 (Int+Log, multiplied by 3), and used 3 on Japanese...but the other 6 are still missing.

Kunoichi

ReijiTabibito

Oh, right...  *smacks self*  18.  Well, that doesn't change the fact that they're MISSING.

NotoriusBEN

good eye Reiji.  if your lurking Allie, go ahead and fill in some knowledge skills too.

AllieCat

Ack.. ok.. one second I'll go back and try to add them in.

ReijiTabibito

Just remember, they should be appropriate for your character's background...though having Knowledge skill that's related to 'on-the-job' activities wouldn't hurt, either.

AllieCat

Yup. Most of them are applicable to either of her jobs..

ReijiTabibito

Um, Allie?  You're going to have to reduce that pool, unless you paid for knowing Japanese with standard BP instead of your free skill points.  If you didn't spend free Knowledge SP on Japanese, though, then you're good.

AllieCat

paid for it with SP.. or at least it looked to be coming out of SP.. wish I had saved my character now.. If not, drop the Seattle Museums.. (figure that's where she meets a lot of her marks).

ReijiTabibito

NotoriusBEN

ok... done with the NPCs, and half the PCs tokens.

Still need...

Hikari's character submittal and a pic
Paladin's pic
and Opheliac's pic

aside from those three's opener posts as well. Dont feel rushed tonight, I was able to get a bunch of tokens made and Im grateful for that. ^^

Paladin

Opheliac

With all the changes made to her, I thought it was time to just throw up a new sheet.

Aisha Terreok, AKA Domino "Harle" Harlequin

Metatype : Human
Mundane

Attributes
Body: 5
Agility: 4 (6)
Reaction: 5 (8)
Strength: 4 (6)
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 3
Logic: 2
Willpower: 2

Edge: 4
Initiative: 11 (13)
Essence: 0.7

Knowledge Skills
English : N
Japanese (Speak) : 3
Military (Marines) : 4
Chemistry : 3
Mercenary Hangouts : 2
Security Procedures : 3

Active Skills
Athletics Group [Climbing : 1 Gymnastics : 1 Running : 1 Swimming : 1]
Firearms Group [Automatics : 4 Longarms : 4 Pistols : 4]
Demolitions : 3
First Aid : 2
Armorer (Explosives) : 2
Heavy Weapons (Grenade Launchers) : 4
Pilot Ground Craft : 2
Unarmed Combat (Martial Arts - Panzer Kunst) : 4
Cybertechnology : 2

Positive Qualities
Biocompatability
Born Rich
Restricted Gear (HK XM30)

Negative Qualities
SINner (UCAS)
Incompetent (Con)
Incompetent (Etiquette)
Incompetent (Negotiation)
Hung Out to Dry

Cyberwares
Radar Sensor α (Rating 4) 
Wired Reflexes α (Rating 2)
Bone Lacing : Ceramic α
Reaction Enhancers α (Rating 1)
Muscle Replacement α (Rating 2)
Dermal Plating α (Rating 1)
Cybereyes Basic System (Rating 3)
+ Flare Compensation
+ Low-Light Vision
+ Protective Covers
+ Smartlink
+ Thermographic Vision
+ Vision Enhancement (Rating 2)
+ Vision Magnification
+ Image Link
+ Eye Recording Unit

Weapons
ArmTech MGL-12
Damage : Grenade AP : - Mode : SA RC : - Conceal : 8 Ammo : 2x[12 (c)]  Smartgun, Airburst Link, External Additional Clip Mod 3 extra clips

Ares Predator IV
Damage : 5P AP : -1 Mode : SA RC : - Conceal : 0 Ammo : 15 (c) Smartgun 2 extra clips

HK XM30
Damage : 6P AP : -1 Mode : SA/BF/FA RC : (1) Conceal : 10 Ammo : 100 (d) Smartgun, Skinlink, Safe Target System, Advanced Safety System, Advanced Safety Electro Shocker, Easy Breackdown (powered), Shock Pad Modular Underbarrel Weapon, Extended Clip (Large Drum) Mod 2 extra drums

HK XM30 Grenade
Damage : Grenade AP : - Mode : SS RC : - Conceal : 8 Ammo : 2x[8 (c)] Additional Clip Mod 1 extra clip Requires HK XM30

HK XM30 Shotgun
Damage : 7P AP : 1 Mode : SA RC : 1 Conceal : 8 Ammo : 50 (d) Extended Clip (drum) Mod 1 extra drum Requires HK XM30

HK XM30 LMG
Damage : 6P AP : -1 Mode : BF, FA RC : 3 Conceal : 6 Ammo : 100 (belt) Bipod Ammo Box Requires HK XM30

HK XM30 Sniper
Damage : 7P AP : -2 Mode : BF, FA RC : 1 Conceal : 6 Ammo : 10 (c) Imaging Scope Requires HK XM30

HK XM30 Carbine
Damage : 5P AP : 0 Mode : BF, FA RC : 1 Conceal : 6 Ammo : 30 (c) Requires HK XM30

SCK Model 100
Damage : 5P AP : 0 Mode : BF, FA RC: 4 Conceal : 0 Ammo : 30 (c) Smartgun, Folding Stock, Built-in Silencer, Built-in Thermal Supressor, Ceramic/Plasteel Components Level 3, Chameleon Coating, Gas-Vent 3 system, 1 extra clip

Ceramic Knife
10x Fragmentation Grenades
10x High Explosive Grenades

1200 rounds Regular Ammo
100 rounds EX-Explosive Ammo
100 rounds Hi-P Plastic Ammo
50 rounds Stick-n-Shock Ammo
50 rounds APDS Ammo

Armors
Chameleon Suit
+ Fire Resistance (Rating 2)
+ Thermal Dampening (Rating 6)
Form-Fitting Body Armor Full-Body Suit
+ Nonconductivity (Rating 2)
+ Ruthenium Polymer Coating Armor Modification
+ PPP-System Forearm Guards
+ PPP-System Leg and Arm Casings
+ PPP-System Shin Guards
+ PPP-System Vitals Protector
Total Armor Value : Ballistic 15 / Impact 11

Vehicles
Mercury Comet (Sedan)
+ Armor - Concealed (Rating 2)

Commlinks
Commlink : Hermes Ikon
+ Signal Upgrade (5)
+ Novitech Navi
+ Pro User Program Suite
+ Sim Entertainment - Average quality (x6)
AR Gloves
Subvocal microphone
Mapsoft (Rating 6)

Equipment
Fake Sin (Rating 4) - (Nadia Cheri - Clean SIN, used to pay normal bills)
Fake Sin (Rating 4) - (Domino Harlequin - Merc SIN, used to make money to pay Nadia)
Fake License (Rating 4) - (Nadia Cheri - Drivers License)
Fake License (Rating 4) - (Domino Harlequin - Drivers License)
Fake License (Rating 4) - (Domino Harlequin - Military grade weapons license)
Fake License (Rating 4) - (Domino Harlequin - Concealed carry - Ares Predator IV license)
Fake License (Rating 4) - (Domino Harlequin - Explosive ordinance license)
Handheld Sensor / Minidrone
+ Camera
+ Microphone
+ MAD Scanner (Rating 3)
Tool Shop
Medkit (Rating 4)
DocWagon Contract (Basic - per Year)
Medium Lifestyle (5 months paid in advance)

Bio
Aisha was born in the UCAS and was practically handed to the UCAS Marine Corps as a baby. She grew up around big guns and death, learning the basics of Panzer Kunst, a martial arts form designed to disable or destroy cybered opponents using the bare hand, from a young age. Once she hit 16, she was already starting her basic training, but had no idea how to deal with people outside of a non-strict-military environment. She was trained as a demolitionist and support fire role, but she managed to get out of the UCAS during the big Matrix hiccup. UCAS still has her on file, but shes left the territory for better and probably safer work. Going underground until she thought she was no longer being hunted or showed up on any more papertrails, Aisha took the name Domino, and started working with a Merc unit. She got the last name of Harlequin because her explosives have a tendency of painting her red with gore, and she cant help but laugh at it.

ReijiTabibito

It's Alita...and just like her manga incarnation...

DAMN is she scary!

Kunoichi

Ooh, Domino looks to be quite the killing machine. ^^ Definitely not a bad street sam.

Paladin

umm you mightw ant to check your Cyber eyes, I don't think you can have all that in just two eyes my dear.

Kunoichi

No, they do.  Rating 3 Cybereyes come with Image Link and Eye Recording Unit as standard, and then have Capacity 12 for other things.  Her cybereyes are filled to capacity, but they haven't gone over the limit.

Opheliac

Kunoichi

That said, I just noticed that your commlink doesn't seem to have an operating system... ^^;

Opheliac

I need one?

The corebook has them listed on the item lists, but doesnt explain any of them. :(

Kunoichi

Your typical commlink has four attributes.  Response and Signal are determined by the hardware, aka the model of commlink you're using, while System and Firewall are determined by the operating system chosen.

Your best bet would probably be to downgrade from the Fairlight Caliban to the Transys Avalon, and then use the extra money to get yourself a Novatech Navi OS.  After that, you'll have 1,500 nuyen leftover to spend.  I would recommend a huge stash of pornographic simsense recordings and the equipment to play them, but if I did, I'd be joking. :P

ReijiTabibito

Wait, hold the **** up for a moment.  A Fairlight Caliban?  Reaaaaaaally?  Maybe if you wanna have money to throw around.

So listen up, 'cause this is only gonna get posted once.

Item: All the highest end commlinks have a Response of 4.  The only variation between the Caliban, the Avalon, and the third Response 4 commlink, the Hermes Ikon, is in the Signal Quality.

Item: You can buy a Signal Upgrade to Signal 5 for 1,000 nuyen.

Item: The Hermes Ikon costs only 3,000 nuyen.

Conclusion:  Buy the Ikon and a Signal Upgrade.  You'll get the same quality as the Caliban, for half the prices, and still 1,000 less than the Avalon.

Then get yourself a Novatech Navi, and you're good.

Kunoichi

So, 2,500 nuyen in sim-porn and the equipment to play it? :P Well, or you could get an action sim collection, drama, romance, tragedy, horror, simsense recreations of old monster movies...

ReijiTabibito

How is it your mind always ends up with telling people to buy sim-porn?  Have you considered that for that 2500 nuyen, she could buy a Pro User Common Program Suite (600), and maybe a couple of other Common Use Programs?

Kunoichi

...I have a one-track mind? ^^; Besides, I suggested more than just porn on that last one. :P

The program suite isn't a bad suggestion, though.  Those are listed in Unwired, right?

ReijiTabibito

Actually, no.  The Pro User Common Program Suite is found on page 232 of the SR 20th Anniversary Codebook...but yeah, program suites, if you're not going to be a full-fledged Hacker, is in your interest.

Kunoichi

Ah, I see.  Sounds like a good option, then.

NotoriusBEN

I'll put up another post tonight after work. Just need Paladin and Hikari to post first.

Paladin

umm where do we post? I have yet to see a link.

AllieCat

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on May 11, 2010, 12:45:28 AM
And Stuffer Shack Shuffle is available to post in! Im going to bed >.>

Bringing back from page 4 so everyone sees the link for the RP thread :)

Paladin

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Paladin

NotoriusBEN

Whoa... 8 hours in a sawmill... in 90 degree weather... in a flash 2 suit... then another 5 hours to drive to the next town...

I feel like Im wrapped in dirty plasti-wrap and it just rubs off in grodie-ness...  :'(  give me a few to clean up and I'll put a new post up and progress the story.

Kunoichi

*doesn't mind the wait, since she herself only recently got back from a movie*

Hikari

Sorry for the wait, I got tapped for a 16 hour shift today and I'm pretty destroyed.  As soon as I wake up I'll drop an introductory post and hopefully put out a finished copy of my character sheet.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

NotoriusBEN

yea, no worries. well, a little worried, but at least you chimed in Hikari ^^;
Im putting up the finishing touches on the map and I'm getting the post written up.

oh yea, is there a way to spoiler tag in this forum? kind of like over at penny arcade where I could hide maps and stats in a collapsable window so that views wont get bombarded by maps and numbers as they read?

Kunoichi

Hooray! ^^

*just wound up reading a rather interesting Shadowrun exploit elsewhere on the internet*

Ah, and I guess we'll get that OOC thread you mentioned soon, as well?

NotoriusBEN

Kunoichi

NotoriusBEN

Here's the link to the Recruitment Thread. Drop a character here so that you can be placed on reserve/cameo list. (Psst.) your already in the thread
Here's the In Character Thread. where all the action and fun stuff happens.
Here's the Link to the OOC Thread. where you the viewer can talk with me and the players.

Hey, my threads are starting to look a little offical now... front pages are updated with the links.

AllieCat

Hikari

Don't Fear the Reaper:

*Spirits Bound: 0

*Name: Yamato Yukina
*Street Name: Reaper ("Chibi-Shinigami," "Lil' Reaper," "Reaper the Kid," etc.)
*Metatype: Elf

*Condition Monitor
-P [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
-S [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

*Body: 4
*Agility: 8 (11)
*Reaction: 5 (7)
*Strength: 2
*Charisma: 3
*Intuition: 2
*Logic: 2
*Willpower: 3

*Essence: 5.24
*Magic: 6 (5)
*Initiative: 7
*Init. Passes: 1 (3)
*Edge: 1/1

*Qualities:
Adept
Ambidextrous
Martial Arts (Firefight) 1
~Multi-Strike, Full Offense
Exception Attribute (Agility)
Distinctive Style 2
Compulsive 2
Albinism

*Active Skills:
[Agi] Pistols 6 (+2 Semi-Automatics)
[Agi] Unarmed Combat 3
[Rea] Dodge 3
[Agi] Infiltration 2
[Agi] Gymnasitcs 2
[Agi] Palming 1
[Int] Perception 1
[Cha] Etiquette 1

*Knowledge Skills:
~World Religion 4
~Japanese Politics 2
~Yakuza 2
~Firearms 1

*Language Skills:
~Japanese [N]
~English 3

*Powers:
~Improved Ability (Pistols) 3
~Improved Reflexes 2
~Cool Resolve 1
~Nimble Fingers

*Contacts:
~Smith Wesson (Gunsmith)~
-Connection 2
-Loyalty 1

*Gear:
Cybereyes Basic System (Alpha) R3
-Eye Recording Suite
-Image Link
-Vision Magnifiction
-Vision Enhcancement R3
-Thermographic Vision
-Low-Light Vision
-Flare Compensation
-Protective Covers
Muscle Toner R3

Colt Government 2066
-Gecko Grip
-Ceramic Plasteel Components R2
-Silencer (Mod)
-Melee Hardening
-Voice Activation/Response
~Weapon Commlink
-Renrake Sensei
-Iris Orb
-Skinlink
~Weapon Personality
~Quickdraw Holster

Colt Government 2066
-Gecko Grip
-Ceramic Plasteel Components R2
-Silencer (Mod)
-Melee Hardening
-Voice Activation/Response
~Skinlink
~Weapon Personality
~Quickdraw Holster
~Spare Clips x20
-Regular Rounds x70
-EX Explosive Ammo x70
-Stick-n-Shock Ammo x70
-Subsonic Rounds x70

Form Fitting Half-Body Armor Suit
-Thermal Damping R4
-Chemical Protection R2
Zoe Executive Suite Line
~Long Jacket
~Blouse
~Skirt
-Nonconductivity R4
-Fire Resistance R2

Lifestyle: Middle (2 Months)

The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Hikari

Further reading: Reaper

Nichiren Buddhism
To understand Yukina's background, a bit must first be said about the Nichiren branch of Buddhism and its evolution in the Sixth World.  The religion was originally based on the writings of Nichiren, a Japanese monk of the 13th century who was viciously critical of what he believed to be dangerously dated or heretical teachings, and unusually militant for his era.  After an attempt to execute him was legendarily foiled by an astrological phenomena, he was instead exiled to an island where he composed his treatises on the topic of the Lotus Sutra over the course of three years.  Nichiren's exile was ultimately rescinded when the Mongolian invasion of Japan caused many to believe that his doomsday prophecies had come to pass, and after his passing his five lifelong students carried on his teachings in the first Nichiren schools.

The next major turn for Nichiren would come with World War II.  Prior to the second world war, Ishiwara Kanji, a major military strategist and politician of the day and adherent to a particularly militant Nichiren sect, had pushed forward his belief that the cataclysmic final battle between two world powers envisioned in Nichiren's prophecies--an unprecedented world-altering battle that would usher in a new era of unity and eternal peace in its wake--would come to pass in his lifetime, between what he saw as the pre-eminent powers of the day: Japan, the rising empire and civilizer of Asia, and America, the rapidly growing juggernaut of the Western power bloc.  This line of thinking became articulated as the Total War theory, and it enjoyed quite a bit of popularity among the officers of Taisho-era Japan.

Ironically, it was the followers of the Total War philosophy that were most opposed to the events that actually lead to Japan's attack on America: Ishiwara, in particular, preached that Japan had neither the raw resources, military technology, nor the industrial base necessary to win a protracted war, and further felt that entanglements in China and the looming spectre of the Soviet Republic put Japan in an untenable position for winning such a war, instead believing that several decades of relative isolationism and military build-up would be the wisest course.  (He was proven right, for the most part.  Hawkish military officers spurring on occupation of China in the wake of the Manchurian Incident ultimately forced Japan into war with the United States, and even by the end of the first year of fighting they were proven to be both hopelessly outmatched in production capabilities and divided due to their never-ending war in China.)  Even so, the Total War philosophy did not sit well with the "new" Japan in the wake of the war, which had forsworn the right to wage war in pursuit of its ends; it and the more radical Nichiren sects that spawned it were heavily censured and largely disbanded with the dissolution of Japan's armed forces.

The more apocalyptic variants of Nichiren saw a revival after the Awakening due to renewed interest in "mystical" religions of the past and growing ultra-nationalist sentiments in the resurgent Japanese Empire and conquering zaibatsu.  During the 40's and 50's, in particular, the articulation of certain "Awakened" elements--the Princes of Tir Tairngire and certain draconic interviews--which suggested that the world was on course through an endless cycle of "worlds" brought new cache to doomsday cults and Armageddon theorists.  Nichiren Shi, as many of the adherents came to call it, became a strange undercurrent running through the Japanese military, zaibatsu, and government apparatus.

The new-old sect had all the makings of a conspiracy, but for a lack of direction; the followers of Nichiren Shi included amongst their numbers many men in positions of influence and wealth, but with the world already grinding its way toward the Apocalypse quite nicely on its own, there seemed little reason to hatch grandiose schemes or take direct action.  A few unusual magical groups and "old boys" networks did emerge from the halls of the faith, but in the grand scheme of things they proved to be less sinister than idle, especially amidst an era that saw the rise of such groups as the Universal Brotherhood, Sons of the Dragon, and New Islamic Jihad.  The members were simply too diffuse across the scope of Japanese society to have real impact, considering their lack of a unified purpose.

Nichiren Shi saw its "second death" in the 60's, as the Japanacorps began to backslide from prominence, Renraku saw itself nearly torn asunder along with Fuchi from the Deus incident, and General Saito's "little coup" in California created an internal rift within the faith over whether or not the end times had begun.  The apparent return of the young emperor to semi-divine status further rekindled interest in Shinto while diminishing the significance of the more mystical branches of Buddhism within Japan.  At the end, however, it was the simple reality of the Crash that was Nichiren Shi's undoing; the members were too spread geographically and among the rungs of society's ladder to maintain cohesion without the network.  Though individual practitioners and a few temples remain, the go-nowhere conspiracy at the heart of the faith is essentially defunct.

Yamato Yukina
Yukina was born to one of the many lineages of relatives to the Imperial Line who, in ancient Japan, formed the network of courtiers surrounding the throne prior to the establishment of the military hegemony of the shogunate's bafuku.  The families were maintained throughout the shogunate's reign, albeit as petty functionaries with purely ceremonial duties and no real power, and even established as nobility under the system of Peerage in the initial Meiji Constitution.  The 1945 post-war rescript of the Japanese constitution, along with the Emperor's so-called "Rescript of Mortality" denying his divine status, essentially removed any semblance of these archaic distinctions up until the Awakening.

The renewed interest in mystical traditions, along with the Emperor's "return" to a position of formal sovereignty, brought the Imperial Line back into the spotlight; however, it also created a much clearer criteria on which to judge the "validity" of claims of relation: the displayed ability to practice Shinto-style shamanistic magic.  Because it was only necessary to prove this aptitude's in at least one member of a person's immediate family to qualify for relation, a great number of families (by hook or by crook) found a way to meet the requirement.  Yukina's family was not one of them; they remained Yamato in name only, having no Awakened members whatsoever in their living line.

This fact was apparently lost on a Fuchi executive who was friends with her father.  Yukina's albinism gave her traits which recalled the traditional Japanese ideal of the "pure" lineage: skin more pale than yellow, pitch-black hair (dyed out of self-consciousness over its natural white color, of course), and a generally very slight and delicate build.  The executive, a follower of the Nichiren Shi faith, believed her to be a forgotten heir to the Imperial Line.  He arranged for her transfer to his care--a process neither particularly difficult nor sinister, since her parents were lower-middle class sararimen working for Fuchi who were daunted by the difficulty of raising an elven child in Japan--and had her cloistered in the secluded Nichiren temple at Tharonja for safeguarding.  There was never a specific plan for the "use" of having a "pocket heir," just a general sense of the potential need for such a thing in the coming cataclysm, and as a result she was raised largely undisturbed in the manner of a militant monk.

Nichiren Shi eventually dissolved in the turmoil of the 2060's, and Yukina became lost in the shuffle.  An adult, she was released from the care of the temple to the Shiawase Corporation, who claimed legal responsibility of her through the ponderous machinations that had bought them pieces of Fuchi's fallen empire.  The corporation, however, had little idea who she was or what was to be done with her; for a brief stint they tried to put her martial skills to use as a "corporate asset," but found that her formal martial arts training had only limited applications in the field of corporate espionage since she had never been brought up to speed on modern technology, infiltration techniques, and espionage tactics.  The fact her identity had been erased by the Nichiren conspirators hoping to hide her from prying eyes gave her some utility as an assassin and "muscle" (in the loosest definition of the term), but she was too conspicuous for heavy fielding.

Last month, the department she was a part of was dissolved after a botched job brought down heat from a rival corporation and forced Shiawase to offer up a sacrificial lamb.  Yukina has no idea what happened, only that the calls from her former "benefactor" have stopped and her steady retainer paycheck has dried up, leaving her with only a few months of paid rent and limited employment prospects.

Personality
Raised as an ascetic monk and rarely allowed to venture from the monastery, Yukina has developed a very orderly (and in many ways, rigid) mind.  She is obsessively tidy and well-organized, and in particular has a dangerously obsessive-compulsive need for symmetry in situations where it is possible; the entire layout of her apartment is in perfect internal symmetry, even where it is highly impractical, down to the placement of items in cabinets and placement of pictures on the walls.  Likewise, her choice to use dual semi-automatic pistols is not so much a matter of practicality as it is of aesthetics; in situations where she has been disarmed of one pistol or otherwise unable to use it, she must actually pass a Willpower test to overcome her compulsion and use only one, otherwise opting for unarmed combat.  Similarly, she will usually opt for a more visibly symmetrical option whenever possible; for example, if having to choose between two getaway cars she would choose a stock Dodge Scoot over a sports car with armor and a passenger-side pintle mount, if only because the weapon mount would ruin the vehicle's external symmetry.  (Unless, of course, there was one on the driver's side as well.)  Additionally, she can easily become irate or even enraged when dealing with those whose sense of style is extremely asymmetrical (she understands, of course, that a person is naturally asymmetrical--but a go-ganger with one obvious cyberarm and his head shaved on only one side, for example, is just repugnant to her) or who takes actions which disturb the "harmony" and symmetry of her environment.

Aside from this particular quirk, Yukina is a very mild person with a calm and collected demeanor.  An outside observer would likely describe her either as very "Zen" or "a real downer," as compulsive temper-tantrums aside she rarely shows outward displays of emotion.  Her expression is generally dour and her tone, like most Japanese who speak English as a second language, tends to lack inflection and syllabic stress, giving the impression of a monotonous deadpan; her limited experience with--and mild dislike of--the English language can also cause her to speak slowly, be choosy with words, and generally taciturn.  This, combined with her habit of wearing a heavy black cloak to protect her sensitive skin from the sun during the daylight hours, is the source of her street name, "Reaper."

Yukina, while not truly tech-illiterate, is somewhat technology-deficient.  Aside from the advanced sidearms and corrective cyber-replacement eyes Shiawase equipped her with, she has a limited understanding of most of the advanced technology used in shadowrunning.  She does have a commlink, installed with a persona-soft control unit in one of her twin pistols--Asura--but generally runs it through skinlink, meaning her "internal network"--her cybereyes and their image link/cameras, primarily--is very often neglected or completely inactive.  Amusingly, it can take her quite a while to notice she's been hacked in minor, mostly cosmetic ways; she often goes a week or more RFID tagged as "Chibi-Shinigami" or a similar semi-derogatory nickname before someone calls her attention to the fact.

Yukina's understanding of corporate politics and the general machinations behind shadowrunning is also stunted.  Fortunately, having been raised by a sect of militant monks who believe that a devastating global conflict will one day lead to world peace and enlightenment, she's not particularly opposed to violence (or even over-the-top, cinematic ultra-violence) as a solution to life's problems or a way of making money, and doesn't tend to consider too deeply the moral ramifications and socio-political outcomes of her actions.  This makes her naturally well-suited to life as a shadowrunner, if perhaps not necessarily a long life as one.

Physical Profile
Yukina is relatively slight in build for an elf, at 1.75 meters in height and 55 kg in weight, with a very slim build.  Though what muscle mass she has is trained and toned to near-perfection, she is by no means an intimidating figure.  Like most albinos, she lacks any pigment in her skin, making it extremely pale white.  Her eyes, by nature, are a pinkish hue (due to the coloration caused by the blood in her eyes), but like most modern albinos she has opted for corrective cyber-replacement surgery to deal with chronic vision problems; her cybereyes are normally a bright, almost yellow amber color, but during the day or in bright areas she will often run with solid-black protective covers down.  (This is purely a force of habit caused by having grown up with severe light sensitivity, as her new cybernetic eyes are fully flare-compensated and no more discomforted by bright lights than any other.)  Her hair is naturally bone-white, but she dyes it jet black; unfortunately, because she crops her bangs so short they tend to grow out very quickly, revealing their natural color even while the rest of her hair remains black.  Normally, she will sweep them straight back to try and maintain symmetry, but her short bob cut lends itself to easily becoming ruffled when she's physically active--it's generally not a good idea to call attention to it when her bangs fall off to one side and form asymmetrical "lines" in her hair.

Yukina isn't particularly fashion-conscious.  As a monk she dressed almost solely in traditional garb, so when she took up employment with Shiawase she acquiesced easily to their request for her to dress in a "professional, corporate manner."  The fact that trim, tailored black three-piece suits aren't necessarily appropriate to all situations seems to be lost on her, though at least she is not especially resistant to a change in attire if asked.  Yukina finds direct sunlight extremely uncomfortable, and will generally wear a fully concealing black cloak during daylight hours with the hood drawn if outside.  This tends to make her stand out in a crowd, and despite being quite new to the Seattle scene her distinctive style has made her recognizable to almost everyone.

Equipment
Yukina has a limited degree of cybernetic and biotech enhancement, an investment made by her Shiawase handler to try and make her more viable as a corporate asset.  Aside from that, her only particular equipment of note are her pistols.

An artisan is only as good as her tools, as the saying goes, so Yukina has invested in the best.  Asura and Deva, the names to which her dual heavily-modified Colt Government 2066's answer, have integrated silencing, MAD-foiling non-ferrous composition, and dedicated personalities capable of responding (and replying) to voice commands.  Asura is the "master" system of the two, containing Yukina's commlink and associated operating systems, while Deva is primarily a "dumb" program (in more ways than one) slaved to the functionality of her "sister."  Asura performs the secretarial functions of a modern, automated PDA, maintains ammo counts (with verbal warnings when running low), and does an admirable if futile job of trying to keep Yukina's personal network from being vandalized by hackers; Deva annoys Yukina by calling her by whatever nickname she's been tagged with most recently and constantly asking to switch to EX-Explosive ammo.

Adept Powers
Yukina is a world-class shooter and one of the foremost practitioners of the unusual Firefight style.  Less a markswoman than a trick shooter, she rarely (if ever) adopts a proper firing stance or practices good marksmanship fundamentals, instead utilizing a very organic and often spectacular style of fighting in which her weapons of choice act as extensions of her arms; she's as likely to pistol-whip an opponent or slide behind them to shoot them in the back point-blank as she is to actually take aim in the conventional sense.  This lends itself well to her dual-pistol style of fighting, as using two weapons at once is extremely difficult and generally unwise when practicing "proper" marksmanship, anyway.

Aside from her highly focused martial training, Yukina has very limited experience in other fields.  Her rigorously-trained manual dexterity and quick reflexes make her naturally good at many of the tasks common to shadowrunning, but she's far from experienced or professional at them.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Chazy

Is this game capped with players? And hello Muse.....long time no see bro.....Anyways...I am interested in playing if there is room. Just need to know the theme for the most part and how long is this going to run. Drop me a line and let me know. Thanks.
Life is short. Live everyday as if it will be your last. For it may very well be.

NotoriusBEN

Yes, sorry, I should have placed a 'Recruitment Closed' tag in the title.

I have five players at the moment due to one dropping and another getting Restricted and Im going to keep it at that for a quicker turnaround.
I will put you on the board for second string though. If someone has to drop, you'll be one of the first in line for getting in.

Chazy

No worries...if you don't mind, may I lurk from time to time at least???
Life is short. Live everyday as if it will be your last. For it may very well be.

NotoriusBEN

absolutely!

head to the OOC thread and chat up with the players that are around.

Chazy

NotoriusBEN

the links are on the first post of this thread, near the the bottom

Chazy