Why, oh why is the search engine so useless?

Started by Captain Maltese, June 26, 2008, 04:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

I'm trying to find a post, as usual, and the search engine finds nothing, as usual. I know by now that searching in specific groups is a waste of time. But why oh why isn't it possible to just write a word and a username and just come up with a list of posts where I used it? Isn't that what the search engine is for?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Sherona

I have issues with it myself. when I was looking for the post you had made a few days ago, I put in Captain Calico, and it came up wtih exactly ...4 posts...and none by you...really, I know you have made more then 4 posts ;)

I just chalked it up to human error since I am technologically disinclined.

Trieste

(Captain Calico won't bring up posts from CptCalico... you'd have to do *Calico...)

It's touchy, but it generally works for me... then again, it has a lot of threads and posts to search through... I'm sure it's just very tired. *grins*

Captain Maltese

For the sake of argument: Two or three days ago the word 'hottub' was used in the Steambox. A lot. By me. Now when I try to search on the word hottub and *calico, nothing comes up.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Vekseid

...I wonder if turning off the post count did it...

Sherona

maybe, I looked for Calico, and Greenthorn, and even Sherona, and could not find any posts by any of us that was in the steambox..

Trieste

I think it may be a problem with the user search. I entered the word "Happy" in the search, made sure the box next to "check all" was checked, and then put sherona as the author... no hits. Took out Sherona and replaced with * and got bunches of hits.

Apparently Sherona has never used the word 'happy' in any forum? I think not.

Sherona

Quote from: Trieste on June 26, 2008, 10:56:35 PM
I think it may be a problem with the user search. I entered the word "Happy" in the search, made sure the box next to "check all" was checked, and then put sherona as the author... no hits. Took out Sherona and replaced with * and got bunches of hits.

Apparently Sherona has never used the word 'happy' in any forum? I think not.

I thought my ears were burning for a reason...and I happily admit to using the word happy in copious amounts.