News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Started by Obsidian Isolabella, May 27, 2014, 11:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obsidian Isolabella

Hi to all who visit this thread and thank you for stopping by!

This is actually a cry for help with this game. I'm a little embarrassed actually because its been about a year or more that I've played this game, so I feel rather stupid for not knowing the answer myself.

Hopefully any who visit this have played through Bitterblack Isle and have defeated Daimon's First form because this is in regards to Daimon's Second form and the second round going through Bitterblack Isle.

SPOILER Warning for those who haven't played this far:

So I've defeated Daimon's first form in the lowest parts of the Isle's dungeon or whatever you want to call it.

Number 1: I cannot defeat Death. This is irritating me to no end because I read on a bunch of other places that this is flat out easy as pie for others. If anyone knows a strategy for this I beg for assistance with no reserves in doing so. As of right now, my Arisen character is a warrior and I'm at level 116. I've already mastered Sorcerer, Assassin, and Strider. I'm working on Fighter, Warrior, and Mystic Knight for the boosts it is supposed to provide in the status areas.

Number 2: So far I cannot even make it through the first area or so of the Isle with enemies. I get ambushed by Grim Goblins, 2 Warms, and a Gorechimera which seem to nearly kill my main pawn with all of my other ones. I went into the Isle thinking it'd be pretty simple since I already know most of the enemies. Look out for Death since he still kills most of my pawns and myself. But, I couldn't even get through that first area with those enemies swarming us.

Not really sure if anyone will have an answer for me, but if anyone could help it would be appreciated. ^_^

Tsenta

Death...really isn't a kill in single encounter enemy. Mostly one wittles down his health, he flees, comes back, etc.   A good way to stop him is stunlocking him with exploding arrows.  Being a melee character...you're right in the fray, which is sorta dangerous.

FYI: Statboosts comes from getting character levels while being a certain class. Going all around...you're sorta nerfing your character (though with end-game gear, you won't notice really).   Mostly, I suggest running a couple mages at your level with you, to run heals/casting ability.

Oh, and as per his name. Death is a 1hit kill for anything. Even max leveled characters. Luckily, he's a little slow with his scythe swing. (as long as you don't let him put you to sleep with his lantern)
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Shjade

As Tsenta notes, melee vs Death is, in general, a Bad Idea. You're not going to do any more significant damage than you would at range anyway (since you can't grab onto Death as far as I know) and you put yourself in danger of immediate death. When Death shows up, if you want to kill him, just back up and plink away at him with arrows or your best spells, whichever does more damage for your build, and do as much damage as you can. He'll be back. Even at max level it took me about 8 or 9 Death appearances to actually kill him unless he decided to sit around beside a holy fire torch for a while and just eat damage for me.

Regarding enemies: the Isle gets a boost in difficulty after you beat Daimon the first time. If you can't handle it, go out into the world and level up/gear up some more, then come back. If you've already done everything in that regard, it might be worth starting a second playthrough and running things again to get some more levels under your belt. Otherwise, keep in mind that you aren't really required to kill everything you see. It's often much easier to progress by just running past enemies you find difficult to fight. Of course, if they're giving you that much trouble, Daimon 2.0 is probably going to tear you apart if/when you reach him, so...there's that.

Unfortunately, as Tsenta also points out, your style of play is gimping your character pretty badly. Leveling up works like the job system in Final Fantasy Tactics: you get different stats based one what class you are when you level up. By spreading yourself across all the classes you're making your stat investments very thin which, in this game, is a bad thing given the way enemy defenses work. You do exponentially higher damage once your attack stat is greater than their defense stat, and vice versa, meaning if you make a well-rounded character you're going to do very little damage compared to what you'd do if you focused on, say, the Assassin class to max out your attack stat, and you're also going to get wrecked by enemies because your defenses are lower than they'd be if you'd stuck with one of the Fighter classes.

You're made of cardboard and hit like a kitten. This is probably why you're struggling with the Isle's round 2 enemies.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Obsidian Isolabella

Well, let me point this out because I explained how I'm doing the vocation leveling. I'm not jumping from one to the next. I'm still in the warrior class and have been for a while. So I'm not doing like one level at Warrior and then going to the next. But, I get what Shjade said about maxing out for Assassin class.

I haven't gone up against Death just yet. He appeared a short while ago and I hit the ground runnin' like my characters ass was on fire. So I'm doing my best to avoid him until I feel more comfortable at least taking swings at him or arrows.

I guess I had read somewhere that you can apparently level out your stats in a very well-rounded way that was actually a plus for this game, but maybe I read the wrong thing? I will try to go back soon to the first area in Bitterblack Isle to change my vocation, but for now I can't really get out of where I am because I don't have any of the special crystals to get back.

Shjade

Ehhh...maybe you can in the super-long term for level 200, but even then I'm betting you'd do it by focusing on 2-3 classes rather than all six. And it's not like the game is unwinnable as an all-rounder. It's just harder. At least in my experience.

When you do start fighting Death, just keep in mind that his glowing lantern spell is basically his most dangerous attack, since it puts you to sleep for the scythe follow-up. The scythe's easier to see coming and outrun. The sleep spell has longer range and will do bad things if you don't notice he's casting it (he makes a specific sound and the light turns more blue/purple). Though if you're wearing gear that makes you 100% immune to sleep you won't care. ;p
◕/◕'s

Obsidian Isolabella

Right now, I'm just trying to claw my way back out of here. I went way farther down than I meant to and without those teleporting rift crystals for this specific area that was really stupid. I lost all three pawns and was all by myself which wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I think that I'm in the wrong class for this place, so I just need to get back up to the surface in one piece and change back to something I know I'm powerful as.

Tsenta

Essentially. For an end-game melee build. You'll want 500+ strength, and 300+ magic and melee defenses pre-gear (at lvl 200).  In Dark Arisen, Magick Archers got a HUGE boost and just...wreck in BBI due to their ricochet bolt ability.  I'm building a 600str/600magic build. It'll be a little squishy but come melee or ranged, I'll wreck.

There's no "right" class per say for BBI, but melee characters do tend to be a bit..gimped. Not just from Death but for a few other enemies (some of which are completely immune to melee/str damage)

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Shjade

I went fighter long enough to get a couple of specific job skills or it, then assassin all the way as soon as I could. Pack a pair of elemental daggers for the living armor (I'd rather use a pawn sorceror's weapon elemental enchants, but getting them to cast it is too unpredictable for my taste...and after a while I was going without pawns at all for the solo stat boost passive) and everything goes down pretty fast as long as you don't let them hit you. Except the big armored cyclopes. Those things are nasty.

I'd boot it up to check specific stats and skills and the like, but I exchanged it for some credit on Dark Souls 2, since I'd basically only gotten it to tide me over until Dark Souls 2 anyway. >.>
◕/◕'s

Tsenta

Elemental weapons are just...meh when it comes to living armor. Unless your MAG is up high, your damage output is minimum. The pawn system is tricky, training pawns to be a good pawn to suit your style is iffy.

Luckily Magick Archers, all their bow skills are elemental based. And their bow is magic based anyway.  So high magic...does a LOT of damage.  Then you can train your pawn to tank. Then use something such as immolation arrow/bolt I think it's called. Since MAs can't use special arrows.  Plug a few bolts into death, pawn runs up and whacks them. Setting off explosions. Good way to stunlock 'im that way.

Shjade

Quote from: Tsenta on May 27, 2014, 04:00:30 PM
Elemental weapons are just...meh when it comes to living armor. Unless your MAG is up high, your damage output is minimum.

It is, but living armor isn't really dangerous anyway, particularly with an assassin's ability to counter all of its attacks, so it might be a little slow but you get the job done.

Or you can just run by them if you're not interested in killing them.
◕/◕'s

Obsidian Isolabella

So I think I figured out, other than the vocation I was in, what was part of the problem. Getting swarmed with two warg's and a gorechimera plus like six greater goblins? Yeeaahhh, that was the biggest problem. It was too many enemies at once, so I figured out a way to kind of split up the enemies. I have no idea if it is going to help in the rest of the levels, but I'm going through the rest of the world again and going through the Everfall maybe a few more times to kind of make sure that I get some experience under my belt. I'm already nearing level 120, so maybe a bit past that I'll go back and run through the first couple of floors of Bitterblack Isle.

So far though, I've only found three people here who like this game. It's kind of nice to have a thread to go to and have other fans there. ^_^

Chris Brady

I love this game.  I went Fighter then Warrior...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Obsidian Isolabella

You only choose two of the fighter vocations then? I am just a bit curious is all. Did that prove helpful for going through Bitterblack Isle?

Tsenta

Chris just has a love for hitting things with huge weapons is all.  :P

Chris Brady

The bigger and more phallic, the happier I am.  ;D

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Obsidian Isolabella

I am like stunned speechless because I've never even thought anything remotely pervy towards this game and that totally just changed it all. *Chuckles*

Tsenta

It's an old anime and RPG addage. The larger the weapon is, the smaller the character's penis is.

Obsidian Isolabella

Ahhh, so basically just a gamer kind of "big truck = small penis" kind of thing.

Chris Brady

It's a common joke I make about characters I play in Fantasy video games, I prefer two handed weapons, or two offensive weapons, and a fighter type.  I like getting into the middle of things and just beating everything up, face to face, so to speak.

And someone once mentioned how big a certain blade was in World of Warcraft (If you know anything about it, the original Zul'Gurub instance's ultimate weapon, as in the end boss', was Jin'Rohk, Destroyer of Worlds, an elongated spatula of a massive sword) and that my Night Elf warrior was overcompensating, and thus I was.  So I ran with it.

(I also ran with a joke that lasted about a couple months after the release of the Raid.  See, for whatever reason my server didn't call it a Jin'Rohk, they called it a 'Destroyer of Worlds'.  And so for about a month after I got it, people in my guild would say, "Wow, you got a Destroyer of Worlds?"  To which I would reply, "*Hikes pants up* Why, yes, yes I do!"  And sometimes I'd also add, "I also have a Jin'Rohk.")

The cool thing about Dragon's Dogma is that they treat the Shield as what it is, a WEAPON.  It's defensive, sure, but it's not the assumed lump of wood and/or steel plate that most fantasy games make it into.  You strike with it, you bash with it, you kill with it, the fact that it makes a great blocking mechanism is cool, but to use it just for that?  Waste of your off hand.

DD doesn't, it gives you a whole set of actions you can do with it, which is cool.

Obsidian Isolabella

I don't know much about WoW. I tried to play it for a while and it was interesting and kept my attention at first, but slowly I lost interest. I'm not a big fan of MMO games for some reason. I guess I'm more of the type to enjoy playing one player RPG with either turn based or real-time battles. Which is why I love DD and KH. I am not a big fan of a ton of Final Fantasy games, but there are a few of them I definitely enjoy.

I haven't spent much time with the shield's in DD, actually. But, I do like that as well. It isn't just put there for the characters to hold or just pull up at a certain times. It is as much a weapon as any other offensive weapon in the game. Out of everything, though, I'm really big on the Sorcerer and Strider vocations. Those two I love the most using.