RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.

Started by Callie Del Noire, May 26, 2011, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

There are far too many games in my collection that I have never played, but if I had to pick one of the top of my head...In Nomine. I really like the look of it. Unfortunately religion is about the only taboo subject amongst my IRL gaming group and I doubt a game of angels & demons would go over smoothly.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Braioch

Demon: The Fallen, another good one I could have fun with ::)
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Crazy

I'd really like to play the Battlestar Galactica RPG,  and introduce some serious drama to my gaming group.  I'd like to cast the players as the headline characters of the show,  and run the events episodically as they are described in series.  Another exciting idea whould be to have the players as Cylons and work towards the extinction of the human race.

I can never pique anyone's interest in the Cthulu RPG,  people who have never played it are hard to convince and people who have played it are not interested in a game where "you either die or go insane."

Cyberpunk is a rich universe with netrunners and corporates and fixers,  but the game is often relagated to a 'Friday Night Firefight' as problem solving solutions are rare in a game where the characters are armed to the teeth.

I do run an exciting Paranoia game from time to time,  but these are usually one offs that result in a mix of apathy for characters that are doomed from the start to a series of revenge killings.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Crazy on June 28, 2011, 11:34:17 AM
I can never pique anyone's interest in the Cthulu RPG,  people who have never played it are hard to convince and people who have played it are not interested in a game where "you either die or go insane."
Try getting them in for a round of Cthulhu Dark. It's super rules light so it cuts down on player investment that way you can sell them on the idea of Lovecraftain horror first and then wean them onto a more complex system if that is your fancy.

I find the biggest obstacle to getting my players to play something new is the prospect of having to learn a new system.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

MasterMischief

I have run two sessions of PDQ/PDQ#, but have not had the opportunity to actually play in it.

I would also like to try FATE, any flavor.

I would not mind giving Savage Worlds a go.

TheGlyphstone

I've always felt the 'everyone dies or goes insane' mindset of CoC to be 'doin' it wrong', so to speak. The true feel of the mythos comes together when you die and go crazy, yes, but you don't do it wastefully. You sacrifice yourself to disrupt the cult's portal spewing forth an army of Shoggoths, or deliberately read the forbidden tome backwards and go nuts to foil the summoning of Shub-Niggurath. You've given your lives and minds to win your victory...and the horror is that in the end, the greater scheme of things doesn't care. They'll try again, years from now, with a different cult, and the world's only hope is that another band of investigators will appear to confront the evil in your place.

Callie Del Noire

I played several campaigns with a very good GM. Half the time we 'brushed' the Mythos connection. Stuff like the kid who dabbled and unleashed a bunch of deep ones or created zombies in an attempt to reap vengence. (that went very very very badly.. but made for an interesting Sadie Hawkin's dance.)

When REAL mythos elements creep out.. it comes down to this.

Do you fight it right up front? (Like my brother's Merc who stumbled into into an Insane Revelation and hosed down the Boston PD and three SWAT teams before going down)

Or did you get clever (shoving a fuel truck down the critter's throat, amazing what you can do with a cinderblock and repair skill)

Or hop in a car and move to the next time zone.

The secret is options. Don't let the players do an end run into a no win, give them options..even if they aren't all good.

MasterMischief

The problem I have encountered with any horror campaign is the one player who never takes it seriously.

Marikir

I think that is actually part of the reason why I like human World of Darkness games or Unknown Armies.  They have that feeling of weird, almost unknowable/unnameable horrors, and yet you feel like you can do something about it. 

UA also has an interesting madness system, one that I'd really like to try out.

Braioch

I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

HairyHeretic

I'd like to try Changeling The Dreaming, but the rest of the WoD I could take or leave.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Braioch

I know nothing of Changeling, so far have only read Apocalypse and Masquerade, as well as the Eastern Supplements for both. Just started reading Mage though

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

HairyHeretic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling:_The_Dreaming

Very modern day fairy tales, so to speak.

It has a VERY different feel to Changeling The Lost. Lost is much darker.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Avis habilis

PCs in Lost are also humans, if I remember right. They're all escapees from captivity among the fairies. In Dreaming the PCs were actual "fae kith". Our Dreaming party was two sluagh, a sidhe & a selkie.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Avis habilis on June 29, 2011, 08:44:29 AM
PCs in Lost are also humans, if I remember right. They're all escapees from captivity among the fairies. In Dreaming the PCs were actual "fae kith". Our Dreaming party was two sluagh, a sidhe & a selkie.

Not really. You were humans when you were captured, but spending time as the captives of the True Fae turned you into a Changeling, a part-fae part-human, and you never 'get better'. Ever - it's not nicknamed Abuse Victim: The Therapy needlessly.

Avis habilis

Huh - I thought the changeling bit in Lost referred to the fae having left one in your place when they carried you off. Good to know.

TheGlyphstone

Nope, those are called Fetches (constructs made of rubbish and animated by Fae magic), and they don't always do it. It's part of the pathos of Lost, when a newly escape changeling returns from ten years in Arcadia, only to find out it's been thirty real-world years and a Fetch who looks and acts just like them has been living their life all this time.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 29, 2011, 10:25:21 AM
Nope, those are called Fetches (constructs made of rubbish and animated by Fae magic), and they don't always do it. It's part of the pathos of Lost, when a newly escape changeling returns from ten years in Arcadia, only to find out it's been thirty real-world years and a Fetch who looks and acts just like them has been living their life all this time.

Glad I never picked up the nWoD.  That flies in the face of so many myths that it makes me wonder when White Wolf fired their research staff.

(A 'fetch' in every single other story I've read is an image that one sees that is an omen of their own death.  A duplicate is normally referred to as a 'changeling', although 'doppelgänger' is another possible term.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Seems like a minor complaint relative to how much else they changed between the Old and New Changeling, but okay.

Oniya

As I've never picked up the books, I haven't seen the rest of the changes.  I never hit nWoD because (in my opinion) oWoD wasn't 'broken'.  Hence, no need to get a whole new set of books.  I've heard complaints about new Vampire and new Werewolf, but so few of the people in my current circles play Changeling that this is the first concrete example I've seen.  (I'd pretty much assumed that nWoD Changeling would be a mess, but this confirmed it.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on June 29, 2011, 01:51:51 PM
As I've never picked up the books, I haven't seen the rest of the changes.  I never hit nWoD because (in my opinion) oWoD wasn't 'broken'.  Hence, no need to get a whole new set of books.  I've heard complaints about new Vampire and new Werewolf, but so few of the people in my current circles play Changeling that this is the first concrete example I've seen.  (I'd pretty much assumed that nWoD Changeling would be a mess, but this confirmed it.)

I don't think the folks at White Wolf had much of a choice. They lost a lot of the IP when they bought out the orginal owners. Look at how patchwork the old stuff was put into the nWoD. Folks who wrote the orignal books screwed them from what I heard.

Black Howling

Quote from: Oniya on June 29, 2011, 12:58:11 PM
Glad I never picked up the nWoD.  That flies in the face of so many myths that it makes me wonder when White Wolf fired their research staff.

(A 'fetch' in every single other story I've read is an image that one sees that is an omen of their own death.  A duplicate is normally referred to as a 'changeling', although 'doppelgänger' is another possible term.)
Fetch can mean doppelganger, actually. I imagine it was to reduce redundancy.

Callie Del Noire

I am contemplating getting the 20th Annuversary edition of Vampire:The Masquerade when it comes out.

consortium11

Quote from: Oniya on June 29, 2011, 12:58:11 PM

A "fetch" meaning a supernatural double or apparition of a living person has a long history in Irish and Northern English folklore... there's the wiki article and a quick google search for "fetch folklore" reveals more.

I haven't actually heard the term "fetch" used to describe the situation you suggest... I've heard it used to describe the disembodied ghost of a living person that appear to distant friends and relations (as opposed to the individual themselves) at the very moment before the death of those they represent and fetch-light or fetch candle being a light appearing at night and which supposedly foretells someone's death.

Marikir

Let me preface this by saying that, frankly, I knew the oWoD like the back of my hand.  I could run anything in that game system, with very little planning, cause I was so versed in the universe/setting, that I made it sit up and beg. 

That stated...I actually like the nWoD.  No, I'm not as familiar with the new setup, but...there's plenty in the new system and the new setting that I actually enjoy.  Vampire, Mage, and Changeling, actually, are my favorites.  I even like the vanilla human options for nWoD games.

The oWoD was the system I played when I was a young adult.  It spoke to me and probably influenced a lot of my development into the person I am.  I know and accept this.  It will always have a huge space in my mindspace, even now.

But, I do think they did more than an acceptable job in updating the system and the setting.  (Besides, I think the new Changeling meshes better with the setting than the old one ever did.  But, that's my own opinion.)

Frankly, I'd just like to play any PnP game.  I haven't done that in a LONG time...