Reporting Malware?

Started by GnothiSeauton, December 23, 2018, 10:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GnothiSeauton

So a question...

If I browse a thread, and it sets off my antivirus thing (repeatedly) about malware in an image, should I report it to moderators, or just to the person who owns the thread?

Last thing I want to do is to bother the moderators if this isn't something they should deal with.  I just wanted to know whether I should report it to have it looked into, or just tell the person who posted it.  It just kept setting my antivirus system off every couple of seconds whenever it tried to load it.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Peccavi

If you can tell who posted the exact image, I would just tell them so a quick edit can remove it? Unless they're MIA or something then maybe tag a Mod so they can try to help so it doesn't infect anyone!
She is the untamed. She is the wild. She will come to you like a storm and wash away your fears. And then when she leaves, you will wonder how you ever hated the rain.

[Check A/A thread for info!]
~A/A Thread Updated: September 16,  2020~     |     Peccavi's True Desires/Roleplay Search& Characters     |     Ons & Offs

Blythe

Yep, definitely let us know if something is setting off antivirus/malware stuff.

Tolvo

And it's important to tell them what page number it happened on, especially if it's in a really big thread.

Beguile's Mistress

Or you can click the 'report to moderator' link and the post will go directly to staff. :-)

Tolvo

Well depending on how it is setting off, they might not be able to click on the post because they can't see the actual page because of the malware/virus warning.

Blythe

Using the 'report to moderator' button is best when possible, or PMing us a link to the post. That's the most direct method and makes it easiest for us to identify/remove a problem.

If that's not possible, telling us the thread title, the page number the issue was encountered on, and what your antivirus/anti-malware program identified as an issue (as this will likely let us identify the problem--usually a hotlinked image from a bad site--setting off anti-virus/anti-malware software) works if you can't actually get to the post itself to report it directly.