Black screen after logging on to computer

Started by persephone325, April 11, 2018, 07:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

My dumb computer somehow automatically updated and now when I log on, it's just a black screen. I can load up the task manager, but I can't really do much else. It even does the same thing if I boot it up in safe mode.

I've tried everything I've seen to fix it, but nothing's worked.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Vekseid

From the task manager, can you run explorer.exe ?

persephone325

Do I run that via command prompt?

Derp. You said from the task manager... I can't tell if it loads or not because nothing pops up.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Amaris

Are you running windows 10? If so, turn off your computer and turn it back on. Right when it turns on, hit the 'f' keys on the top of the keyboard (I think it's f11 but I'm not positive, I generally just kinda hit them all until it brings up what i want) one of them will bring up an advanced menu. If that does show, you can try startup repair or even restoring your pc to an earlier date to when it did work. I would try startup repair first.

persephone325

Yeah. It's windows 10.

I tried startup repair, but that didn't work. Something wrong with a log file, and I don't know how to fix that. I did a system restore and that didn't seem to work. The laptop actually started up once and the screen came on. But I accidentally hit "sign out" and now it's back to a black screen again...

I'm trying another system restore. *sigh*
I don't know.

Amaris

I saw one here that mentioned something in your task manager. If i'm bothering you, please let me know. I'm truly trying to help! <3

I thought this also might be helpful?

persephone325

You're not bothering me, Amaris! I'm just frustrated that nothing seems to be working.

I did the suggestions listed, but I can't get the display to come on in safe mode. So none of those are really viable for me. And I did the power cycle thing twice. I'm don't know what else to do. Aside from maybe leave it on all night when it's on the black screen to see if it even loads. If that doesn't work, then I'm probably looking at a system recovery. And I really don't want to have to do that...
I don't know.

Kuroneko

Persephone, I know exactly what issue you're having. It happened to me after an update as well. It's an exe file not starting and a super simple fix. I'll PM you.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

persephone325

Quote from: Ryoga on April 11, 2018, 11:03:16 PM
Do you have a spare HDD around, or available to you?

If a hard drive recovery doesn't work, then I suggest installing a fresh copy on to another HDD, and get your files back that way. So at least nothing is lost. (If the HDD isn't soldered on your laptop)

I... Don't think there's one I could use, unfortunately... And I'm not too tech savvy that I could know if it was soldered in or not. Lol

Quote from: Kuroneko on April 11, 2018, 11:04:06 PM
Persephone, I know exactly what issue you're having. It happened to me after an update as well. It's an exe file not starting and a super simple fix. I'll PM you.

Oh, yay! Thank you!
I don't know.

persephone325

So, I think things are fixed now!

Though, all my files are gone. Specifically my writings and pictures. *panic mode engaged* Can anyone help me? I'm freaking out.
I don't know.

Vekseid

Without knowing what you did it can be hard to guess at. : /

persephone325

I did try a system restore twice - going back to April 8th. But after I did that, I could still see my documents in the "Windows Explorer"...

Is there any software out there that I can try to get my stuff back? Does anyone know of anything like that, or used something like that?
I don't know.

persephone325

OH MY GOD!! I FOUND THEM!!!!

*breathes deep sighs of relief* Fucking hell, I was so upset. I thought I had lost everything...
I don't know.

Amaris

persephone325

Same!!

Thank you guys for all your help! I really appreciate it. I was panicking thinking I would have to take it somewhere to fix it. I have not a penny to my name. >.<

Whew...
I don't know.

persephone325

Oh my fucking god!

IT HAPPENED AGAIN!! I was helping my mom in the kitchen, and when I came back the laptop was updating. And it fucking happened again....
I don't know.

Missy

Sounds like you ought to make sure you start keeping a regular backup of your files on a secondary device. A USB Stick or External Hard Drive.

persephone325

Quote from: Missy on April 12, 2018, 07:10:15 PM
Sounds like you ought to make sure you start keeping a regular backup of your files on a secondary device. A USB Stick or External Hard Drive.

All my files are still here. It's just the black screen is back.

I can load up the task manager and run things via the "New task" option, but I don't understand what the fucking hell is happening. I've tried every option I've found at least twice, and nothing has worked.
I don't know.

Amaris

You may have already found this, but here is another site with possible fixes... I'm so sorry you're having to go through this

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/windows-10-black-screen-after-creators-update.html

persephone325

Quote from: Amaris on April 12, 2018, 09:31:12 PM
You may have already found this, but here is another site with possible fixes... I'm so sorry you're having to go through this

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/windows-10-black-screen-after-creators-update.html

I'm trying them as we speak. *fingers crossed that something works*
I don't know.

persephone325

I don't know.

persephone325

I found one possible solution I missed somehow - creating a new account.

And that apparently worked. So, now I just have to transfer everything over to this new one I guess?

What a fucking pain in the ass...
I don't know.