Malware Detected?

Started by Caeli, February 09, 2012, 06:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

When I clicked on this link to open it in a new tab for reference, I was instead re-directed to this page:

This has never happened to me before, and when I browse and click internal links elsewhere, this malware detected page doesn't come up.

I don't suppose someone can explain what this might be? ???

Edit: Actually, I tried to browse to that thread from my bookmarks, and came to the same error. Thread here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=126812.0

Is this an indication that something in the thread (most likely an image) is linking to an unfriendly web place?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Avis habilis

Looks like the image of a character called Angel Rey Santos is hotlinked from the site it's warning you about.

Oniya

Perhaps the image is hosted on a site that offers more 'adult' images?  Half the time that Mr. Oniya trips the virus detector, it's when he's looking at sites of that variety.  It seems that elporvenir has been the source of that enough of that to get Google's attention.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

No, it usually happens when the site in question is hijacked. Staff should snip the offending images in such cases, as it's possible to attack the users of this site (mainly, those using older versions of IE) through such vectors.

olive

I get those warnings too, not frequently though, when I'm browsing various threads on E. Should we report that to staff in the future to have the triggering image or link removed?

Avis habilis

horizen

This can be dangerous for some members here... Members running old versions of web browsers can get malware or trojans installed into their computers..

Avis habilis

Exactly. That's why we'd like to hear if this happens again, so we can snip the image that comes from a dangerous source.

olive

Okay. I think maybe three times in my year here, I have seen that warning pop up while at E, but I'll be sure to let someone know if see it.

Kendra

Hey *waves*

We've had three malware popup issues now in two days on our Character Sheet thread.

I've rehosted just about everything that wasn't on a safe image hosting site but removed image tags and simply left links instead for others.
I should just clear out the links as well shouldn't I?
>.<

K

Avis habilis

Which page of the thread?

Kendra

there was one caught on each of them  :-\
3 pages - 3 pop ups

I can pm you the sheets they came from though which will make it easier pm'd ;)