Brown Eyed and Blue Eyed experiment

Started by Trieste, June 24, 2013, 03:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

I am posting this here rather than controversies because ... it seems more educational than controversial. It is a social experiment involving prejudice. I had read about this experiment before but I have never seen this video before. I have to say that it's a lot more powerful watching the video than just reading "In a third grade classroom, the teacher did an experiment and this happened."

http://www.upworthy.com/this-teacher-made-her-3rd-graders-hate-each-other-for-the-best-reason-imaginable?c=slt1

Haven

That was amazing.  Thank you so much for sharing.

Shjade

To think this was done decades ago, and yet...
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Kythia

Check out "The Lucifer Effect" by Philip Zimbardo.  He's the guy who designed and ran the Stanford Prison Study in the early 70s

Trieste

I'm familiar with Zimbardo and have seen several interviews from him. I don't recall if I've read The Lucifer Effect. The name rings a bell.

Kythia

It's a fantastic read.  Written in the wake of the Abu Ghraib abuse scandal, he was on the defence team.  The first half goes into details of a lot of experiments  - the one you mention, the Stanford one the one by <someone, long day and don't recall the name> where participants progressively "electrocute" someone on a doctor's instructions and others.  The second half is an in depth look at how all of those factors came together in Abu Ghraib.

Trieste

Millgram was the electrocution one.

And yeah, I have read some of that. I didn't read the whole thing - I think I had to return it to the library - but it was fascinating. I've read about each of those experiments separately as well.

Caeli

I've also read about Zimbardo's Stanford Prison Experiment and about Millgram. We actually read an excerpt of The Lucifer Effect in one of my Political Science special topics courses.

That was a fascinating video, Trieste. Definitely more powerful to see it in video, rather than just reading about it.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Torch

I remember watching Jane Elliott conduct this experiment on the audience of the "Phil Donahue" show years ago (yes, I'm old).

She received basically the same results with adults as she did with school aged children.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Ephiral

It strikes me, from seeing the actual video, that prejudice basically only needs two things to flourish: Confirmation bias and a trusted figure saying "That's because of X." Given that we can't eliminate the former, that speaks rather directly to how to eliminate it.

Kythia

Locking everyone in boxes so they don't interact and thus don't become prejudiced - being fed only by a series of tubes connected to a system operated by robots?  That's a little extreme, Ephiral.

Oniya

Except that the 'trusted figures' include parents that learned it from their 'trusted figures'.  We can try making more trusted figures who say 'That's not because of X', and hope that some of the people that trust them put aside what other trusted figures in their lives have said, but that's about all we can do on that front.

Yes, I grew up with a mother who said that she was 'not prejudiced' but that 'blacks and whites shouldn't interact socially'.  I'm glad to say that I saw that for what it was, but my older sisters have had a much harder time not pre-judging, although it shows up in different ways.

(@Kythia - isn't that the Internet?  A series of tubes operated by robots?)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ephiral

Quote from: Kythia on June 25, 2013, 11:29:54 AM
Locking everyone in boxes so they don't interact and thus don't become prejudiced - being fed only by a series of tubes connected to a system operated by robots?  That's a little extreme, Ephiral.
Some say my policies go too far. I say theirs don't go too far enough! (Also, free lynching for anyone who espouses a racist/sexist/classist position in public.)

In seriousness, though, Oniya has the right of it. Parents have huge influence - but it's not total. If we have enough of the remaining authority/trusted figures in a child's life preaching the right message, I think we can hit the point where more kids turn away from prejudice than stay with it. And then it's just a matter of time. The problem is that society very often turns a blind eye to this stuff, instead of condemning it.

Oniya

And on the Internet, nobody knows that you're _________ (insert relevant word here).  ;D 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ryven

Jane Elliott has been doing several racism experiments for many years now.  She's been known to go to college campuses and do them with student volunteers.  Some of the sessions get intense, and students have even walked out on some of them because of the emotional impact the experiment has.

'The Angry Eye' actually displays one of the more recent experiments she did.  I think it's really striking.

Part 1
"The Angry Eye" | part 1 | Brown Eye-Blue Eye Experiment

Part 2
"The Angry Eye" | part 2 | Brown Eye-Blue Eye Experiment

mia h

It's also worth looking at The Third Wave experiment which basically turned a High School into Nazi Germany in under a week.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Kichita

I am pleasantly surprised that I found this on this website.  What a powerful video.  Who would have thought I would have found this on a website I searched for adult role play?  Delightful!  I can hardly wait to peruse some more. 

Trieste

Glad you liked it, Kichita. We do have a good number of intellectuals around... and geeks of all flavors. It's likely you'll find something you like somewhere if you're accepted. :)

alextaylor

This is brilliant. I wish they could do this in school where I live. But a teacher actually educating people that they're the same would get fired; my whole country's politics is built on racial segregation.
O/O