How to Fall Asleep: The Diary of an Insomniac Part 2

Started by Autumn Sativus, March 01, 2012, 08:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn Sativus

Some nights, I just have to accept that there will be no sleep had.

I follow the rules of Sleep Hygiene. If you're an insomniac, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. The bed is only there for sleeping and sexytime. I don't read in bed, I don't watch television in bed, I don't use my laptop in bed, etc. Sleeping only. I don't eat for several hours before the first attempt at sleep and continue without food until some sleep has been achieved. I've heard recently that being hungry at night is actually the body's way of asking for sleep - so that's been another method for judging when to start hitting the sack. The bedroom is dark (even during daylight hours), quiet and comfortable. By the time I reach the bed, there is nothing I desire more than a few hours of unconsciousness.

I lay quietly and still, focusing on my breathing or on nothing at all. Despite the fact that my eyes are heavy and stinging and my body is exhausted, the cruel mistress that is sleep remains just out of my grasp. After twenty minutes of this, I follow my sleep hygiene practices and drag myself out from under the warm sheets to find something mindless to work on for about the same amount of time. And so this cycle continues - 20 minutes in bed, 20 minutes out of bed - for several hours until finally, I give up. Now, not just completely exhausted but also quite frustrated by the teasing advances of the aforementioned mistress, I pull myself from the comfort of my bed and prepare for a very long day.

A very long day which will more than likely involve said mistress coming to take me at the most inconvenient moment possible.

You win again...
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Trufaxer

I know this, my anxiety gets at me before a big day and I won't be able to sleep. Such a cruel way to exist.

Skadii

I can relate to your inability to fall asleep despite following the normal methods for ensuring that you are able to pass out when you hit the bed. However, I am envious that the reason for your lack of rest is far more enjoyable than mine...but I know that my insomnia has been hard on me and I just wanted to let you know that I can empathize.

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: colerie1974 on March 07, 2012, 03:38:48 AM
I can relate to your inability to fall asleep despite following the normal methods for ensuring that you are able to pass out when you hit the bed. However, I am envious that the reason for your lack of rest is far more enjoyable than mine...but I know that my insomnia has been hard on me and I just wanted to let you know that I can empathize.
I wonder if you may have mistaken my mentions of sleep as a cruel and frustrating Mistress to mean a real person. My lack of sleep unfortunately doesn't seem to have a reason - I wish it did. At least then I could try to resolve it.
Us against the world

Hurricane

Do all those rules about "sleep hygene" really help? It seems to me that all that focus would simply add to the pressure of going to bed, rather than helping the issue.

I'm the kind of person that can always fall asleep. In fact, I love to nap during the day for short stretches (if I can get away with it).

I read in bed, play games, watch Netflix on the iPad as well as other diversions. If you're really having all this trouble falling asleep, maybe try de-emphasizing the "specialness" of the bed and just try to be comfortable there?

Also, let me add that a regular physical exercise regimen can have a huge impact on your ability to fall asleep. The physical exhaustion plus the added dopamine in your brain can make a massive difference. If you're not currently physically active for at least 30 minutes a day, work up to it - I promise you'll see results!

Miss Lilly

I totally sympathise, Saph. As a long time sufferer of on-again-off-again insomnia, I have some idea of what you're going through. At my worst, a few years back, I was getting maybe two hours a night. That was pure hell in a handbasket.

I'm wondering...have you considered trying to get a referal to a sleep clinic?
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Strangler

I can empathize a little bit. I've only suffered true insomnia for a week when I was in the throes of depression and it was surprisingly draining and exhausting. It felt like someone was sawing away at my sanity with a nail file.

I've never had good sleep, but until that episode I hadn't really appreciated how much worse insomnia really is.

Wish you the very best,

xx

RedPhoenix

I've been an insomniac ever since I can remember. I empathize. I've tried breathing exercises and such. The only pills that work for me are the ones you can't take very often so I save them for when I really really need it. Other than that I just sort of hope to get lucky. Normally I don't. :(
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Koren

I had insomnia for a good long while, until I got hit with chronic fatigue which is the bigger swap around in history. As a result I still have a lot of trouble sleeping. The idea of just resting till you exhaust yourself is good, but doesnt always work if you do it a lot of times in a row

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Water Lilly on November 24, 2012, 08:55:57 PM
I'm wondering...have you considered trying to get a referal to a sleep clinic?
Honestly, I don't want one. >.> I could never sleep in a tiny bed with a bunch of crap hooked up to me. It'd just be an extremely long, extremely boring night.

It comes and goes for me, lately it's been not too bad. I'm not on any sort of 'normal' schedule, but I go to bed around the same time every day and have been managing to get at least 5 hours a night (with the occasional nap to help catch up) for almost a month now, so I'm not complaining too much.

I empathize with anyone suffering through it though and wish you all the very best luck in visits from the sandman. :-(
Us against the world

brokenxxreverie

There is nothing worse then to lay in bed, body exhausted and unable to shut off your mind. I went to my doctor who prescribed clorazepam (spell?) an anti-anxiety medication which really helped me. Not sure if that is something that could help? Good luck I hope you are able to get something to help you sleep. :S

Shjade

Quote from: brokenxxreverie on March 25, 2013, 09:32:23 PM
There is nothing worse then to lay in bed, body exhausted and unable to shut off your mind.

I'm not sure I agree. Having been kept awake for a variety of reasons over the years, I think my least favorite is "can never get comfortable." Some nights it just seems like no matter how I position something will be in pain, with the back and neck being the most consistent culprits.

Compared with that I much prefer the nights where I'm perfectly comfortable and relaxed and my mind just won't shut up long enough to actually lose consciousness.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

DeadCell

Since the turn of the new year I have also suffered many sleepless nights, I do not know what suddenly brought it on as I have had to change in diet or physical activities for quite some time. I lay awake and no matter what I do I just cant fall asleep. Sometimes I know, as soon as I pull the covers over my head that there will be no sleep had, and low and behold, perhaps forty minutes later I am still awake, and then an hour later, two hours, it is so frustrating.

Being exhausted and not being able to sleep is the worst. I think this morning at around three am was when I managed to get off to sleep, but even then, around six am I am awake, eyes heavy and a groggy feeling making me feel like I have been dragged through a day in hell.

ONS AND OFFS / Click Me For Story Ideas /
What is the colour of night?

DeadCell

Quote from: DeadCell on March 26, 2013, 01:08:10 PM
I can also relate somewhat.

Since the turn of the new year I have also suffered many sleepless nights, I do not know what suddenly brought it on as I have had to change in diet or physical activities for quite some time. I lay awake and no matter what I do I just cant fall asleep. Sometimes I know, as soon as I pull the covers over my head that there will be no sleep had, and low and behold, perhaps forty minutes later I am still awake, and then an hour later, two hours, it is so frustrating.

Being exhausted and not being able to sleep is the worst. I think this morning at around three am was when I managed to get off to sleep, but even then, around six am I am awake, eyes heavy and a groggy feeling making me feel like I have been dragged through a day in hell.

ONS AND OFFS / Click Me For Story Ideas /
What is the colour of night?