My mouse has decided to double click itself.

Started by Missy, November 04, 2015, 10:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

It's very irritating and constantly creates little problems that are annoyingly unintended or just irritating to see. Basically the thing has decided that a good portion of the time it's going to behave like a double click even though I've only single clicked it. It's been doing this for a few days and after thinking it over and reviewing it a bit this seems to be the problem.

I don't know how to fix it though, I tried tweaking with the mouse settings, with what can be done with them, and it's made no difference. If anything tweaking with the mouse settings raises more questions or reveals a little more detail (albeit more confusingly so) on what the actual problem is??? I mean it's as if it's double clicking or reclicking randomly and sometimes it single clicks properly. If I hold the button down it sometimes single clicks only to 'reclick' or double click itself shortly thereafter. It's very frustrating and constantly resultant in things which are minorly irritating or just outright needless and unintended on my part (I don't need that darn file open, I just clicked it once, don't open that darn file please).

I've done a bit of research on what can be done to fix the problem and I can either say it's a hardware problem (which I can't test because I own only one mouse and one pc, so no control party on either side) or I can see if it's the drivers by unistalling and then reinstalling them, which I'm recalcitrant to do because: 1) I'm not a computer tech and have no idea what I'm doing even if I went and found myself a step-by-step instruction manual online or whatever and 2) I'm pretty sure unistalling the mouse drivers would disable the mouse, right? So if I did how am I supposed to reinstall them? Seeing as I would have no working mouse.

Anyway, that's my tech problem for the day, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thankyou very much.

Kye

What kind of mouse is it?

Just from what you've said it sounds like a hardware problem.  If a mouse gets dirty internally it can cause the buttons to stick sometimes, also if something inside is cracked or broken it can cause it to do odd things or sense pressure incorrectly. 

Beguile's Mistress

Try cleaning it by running a toothpick down into the edges of the buttons and using a Q-Tip (cotton swab) with a bit of alcohol to clean the optics (if it is an optical mouse that is).  Mice can get really weird sometimes.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Missy on November 04, 2015, 10:14:27 PM
It's very irritating and constantly creates little problems that are annoyingly unintended or just irritating to see. Basically the thing has decided that a good portion of the time it's going to behave like a double click even though I've only single clicked it. It's been doing this for a few days and after thinking it over and reviewing it a bit this seems to be the problem.

I don't know how to fix it though, I tried tweaking with the mouse settings, with what can be done with them, and it's made no difference. If anything tweaking with the mouse settings raises more questions or reveals a little more detail (albeit more confusingly so) on what the actual problem is??? I mean it's as if it's double clicking or reclicking randomly and sometimes it single clicks properly. If I hold the button down it sometimes single clicks only to 'reclick' or double click itself shortly thereafter. It's very frustrating and constantly resultant in things which are minorly irritating or just outright needless and unintended on my part (I don't need that darn file open, I just clicked it once, don't open that darn file please).

I've done a bit of research on what can be done to fix the problem and I can either say it's a hardware problem (which I can't test because I own only one mouse and one pc, so no control party on either side) or I can see if it's the drivers by unistalling and then reinstalling them, which I'm recalcitrant to do because: 1) I'm not a computer tech and have no idea what I'm doing even if I went and found myself a step-by-step instruction manual online or whatever and 2) I'm pretty sure unistalling the mouse drivers would disable the mouse, right? So if I did how am I supposed to reinstall them? Seeing as I would have no working mouse.

Anyway, that's my tech problem for the day, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thankyou very much.

If this is a Razr mouse,  I can confirm the issue.  It is a hardware issue where the contacts wear down over time.  Solution 1 is to buy a new mouse.  Solution 2 is to take it apart and attempt to build up the contact pad with bondo, reassemble, and hope it works.  Both hubs and I have had this issue and gone with option 1, and he's a computer guru.  I told him he's welcome to take one of the old ones apart and experiment, but he's queasy about doing even that.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Bloodied Porcelain

+1 to what Raven said. Eventually, usually after a few years, Razer mice contacts tend to get funky and not want to work properly. I had to ditch my molten naga mouse a couple months ago. Thankfully, I found a temporary replacement on Amazon that is pretty nice for like 10 bucks. It's not Razer brand, but it will work until I can afford to get new ones.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Missy

this mouse is only a couple of months old and its not a razor as far as I know. I replaced this one fairly recently when my old one decided to suddenly go kaput.

The brand logo on the bottom says "le" on it, very fancy-like. It's also made in china so it's possibly just cheapo.

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Beguile's Mistress

I've been using LogiTech Optical mice for several years now and they work fine for me.  I'm kind of tough on my peripherals, too.