Star Wars Force & Destiny [Recruiting!]

Started by Datawych, May 23, 2016, 10:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datawych

THE COURT OF MYSTERIES

Betrayal! Several cells of Sith agents have awakened within the Jedi Order, betraying their former allies and leaving the Order in disarray. It is a dark time for the Jedi. Their numbers have been vastly diminished, and what Jedi are available are occupied with the Sith threat.

Paranoia is everywhere. Even though the Jedi have begun to turn the tide, the Order begins to crumble from within. Friends turn on friends, and it is only a matter of time before mistrust tears the Order apart. The Jedi Inquisition has begun.

Amidst the betrayals and deceit, several Padawans have begun to have nightmares about the same mysterious ruin....

Seeking: 3-5 players for Fantasy Flight Games' Force & Destiny. A working knowledge of the Star Wars universe (particularly about the Old Republic era) is appreciated, but not necessary.

Setting: The 'Middle' Republic. Somewhere between 6000 BBY and 4000 BBY.

Character Application:

[b]Name: [/b]
[b]Species: [/b]
[b]Career: [/b]
[b]Signature Force power: [/b]

Don't worry about spending XP or giving your characters gear or anything yet. Feel free to leave signature force power blank if you aren't sure about it.

hellrazoromega

I love the Old Republic and the Jedi more than I can say...
Character Application:
Name: Ara-Vin Thanis
Species:  Human
Career: Consular-Healer (willing to take Sentinal-Shadow if someone else wanted healer)
Signature Force power:  Heal

LSWSjr

Honestly I really really really want to play a Force & Destiny game one day, but their refusal to do PDFs for these (always sold-out) Star Wars titles is a huge turn-off :(

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

hellrazoromega

Quote from: LSWSjr on May 23, 2016, 11:32:26 PM
Honestly I really really really want to play a Force & Destiny game one day, but their refusal to do PDFs for these (always sold-out) Star Wars titles is a huge turn-off :(

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

It is annoying, I can only imagine it is a Lucas Film/ Disney thing since FFGs other games are on PDF. Heck, even the 40K ones and Games Workshop are some of the biggest asses in the industry about their IP. I will say they can be found on PDF if one knows where to look.

Pumpkin Seeds

Ohhh...Why do I have to see this while at work!?

Muse

I'm very interested, but I need to aquire the book.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

LSWSjr

Quote from: hellrazoromega on May 23, 2016, 11:55:29 PM
It is annoying, I can only imagine it is a Lucas Film/ Disney thing since FFGs other games are on PDF. Heck, even the 40K ones and Games Workshop are some of the biggest asses in the industry about their IP. I will say they can be found on PDF if one knows where to look.
It's interesting that Wizards of the Coast never released PDF's of Star Wars Saga Edition either... but that's par for the course for them anyway.  I just assumed it was a way for FFG to maximize supply and demand for these book, just like with the splitting of a single RPG into three product lines (not including the separate squad/fighter/fleet based lines).

It's pretty disappointing to think a giant like WotC showed the restrain to put everything into a single product line, whilst a smaller and more community driven company like FFG would milk the crap out of the same property :(

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

HairyHeretic

Tentative interest. Will there be any non Jedi PCs, providing the skills they lack?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Apparently online publication is considered an online property or something which Disney won't license them to do.  FFG is licensed for publication only.

Thinking of making a Sentinel Artisan.  Not sure on the race just yet, leaning toward Mirialan or human at this point.

Muse

With Pumpkin's help I’m looking at two different ideas for an armored guy with a light saber and an attitude.  : )

Name:    Avan Rahl
Species:    Zeltron
Career:    Gaurdian (Armorer)
Signature Force power:

Name:    Kael Bax
Species:    Zabrack
Career:    Gaurdian (Armorer)
Signature Force power:

Avan Rahl would be a somewhat light hearted player, but with a rather grim past.  My original idea was that before he was a jedi, he was a student of holography, then was pressed into the Mandalorian Neo-crusaders.  He learned some actually mandalorian ways, but turned on his rally master save a jedi girl and became an apprentice. 

That's probably both the wrong erra and too much experience for starting characters.  ^_^;;  IF I went with Avan Rahl, I'd adapt that idea to fit. 

Kael is less complex, less lecherous, and generally a nice guy who's serious about protecting his friends and saving the universe. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Alright, going with a human Artisan from Nar Shada.  Will have more info later.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: LSWSjr on May 24, 2016, 02:17:02 AM
It's interesting that Wizards of the Coast never released PDF's of Star Wars Saga Edition either... but that's par for the course for them anyway.  I just assumed it was a way for FFG to maximize supply and demand for these book, just like with the splitting of a single RPG into three product lines (not including the separate squad/fighter/fleet based lines).

It's pretty disappointing to think a giant like WotC showed the restrain to put everything into a single product line, whilst a smaller and more community driven company like FFG would milk the crap out of the same property :(

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Yeah I guess to a point, to be fair WotC did come out with many an era supplement. Functionally it is all the same product line, the mechanics are all the same except for Duty, Obligation, and (I forget what the darn stat is for Force and Destiny because I changed it to Destiny in my game). I can't blame FFG, game company or not they are there to make a buck.

Anyway, I am excited about this, even though I have some deep reservations about the way the FFG system works for experienced, as opposed to neophyte Force users, I just love the Old Republic so darn much.

HairyHeretic

Name: TBD
Species: Chiss if allowed, otherwise Twi'lek
Career: Sentinel - Shadow (second choice Warrior - Starfighter Ace)
Signature Force power: TBD

Will flesh the character out once I know which race I can use.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Datawych

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 24, 2016, 02:27:09 AM
Thinking of making a Sentinel Artisan.  Not sure on the race just yet, leaning toward Mirialan or human at this point.
I already have a major NPC Artisan in the works, if that influences your career choice/potential future specializations at all.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 24, 2016, 02:17:38 AM
Tentative interest. Will there be any non Jedi PCs, providing the skills they lack?

I was thinking of attempting to avoid non-Force sensitive NPCS, simply because the balancing between F&D characters and AoR/EotE characters isn't the greatest. Based on the suggested monetary rewards compared to the suggested experience rewards, Jedi characters shouldn't really be getting their lightsabers until around 200ish XP, rather than 150. And that's taking lightsaber rarity during the Empire era into account. During the Republic Era, lightsabers would be easier to come across, so they'd probably get them EVEN EARLIER.

If someone is really interested in playing a non-Force sensitive, I can play around with an increased credit rate for that character. Just know that crossover play - while the game is meant to accommodate it - means more work for the GM.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 24, 2016, 01:42:09 PM
Species: Chiss if allowed, otherwise Twi'lek

Unfortunately, Chiss don't appear as a playable race in any of the core rulebooks. If anyone knows of another supplement where they are, I'll allow it.

Quote from: Muse on May 24, 2016, 05:15:37 AM
   With Pumpkin's help I’m looking at two different ideas for an armored guy with a light saber and an attitude.  : )

Career:    Guardian (Armorer)

I know that Armorer exists, but which book is it in? Also - anyone know why Guardians get 5 specs but everyone else only has 3? I assume they must be the first F&D career that FFG is working on expanding.

EDIT: I found it. And I have to be really honest, here... Looking at the Armorer talent tree, they kinda seem super broken. 2 ranks of Inventor 2 ranks of Gearhead, Tinkerer, Imbue Item, Reinforce Item, Saber Throw for (10!!!!) XP + no prereqs, Armor Master progression, AND Lightsaber as a class skill on a spec that has +1 Force Rating? I'm forced to ask - why would anyone ever take Artisan over Armorer? It feels like Artisan without any of their drawbacks.

I hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you, just... damn. Maybe I'm failing to see their weaknesses, but...

EDIT 2: WAIT, I SEE IT. Parry and credits. Go ahead and go for it if you wanna do Armorer - just know that you'll either be behind on getting your lightsaber, or you'll be SEVERELY strapped for money for attachments/mods. Particularly if you plan on having both heavily-modded armor AND a heavily-modded lightsaber.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Datawych on May 24, 2016, 02:53:05 PM
I was thinking of attempting to avoid non-Force sensitive NPCS, simply because the balancing between F&D characters and AoR/EotE characters isn't the greatest. Based on the suggested monetary rewards compared to the suggested experience rewards, Jedi characters shouldn't really be getting their lightsabers until around 200ish XP, rather than 150. And that's taking lightsaber rarity during the Empire era into account. During the Republic Era, lightsabers would be easier to come across, so they'd probably get them EVEN EARLIER.

If someone is really interested in playing a non-Force sensitive, I can play around with an increased credit rate for that character. Just know that crossover play - while the game is meant to accommodate it - means more work for the GM.

I was leaning towards a Smuggler / Pilot, but it looks like that could be handled with a Jedi character anyway, so no biggie.

Quote from: Datawych on May 24, 2016, 02:53:05 PM
Unfortunately, Chiss don't appear as a playable race in any of the core rulebooks. If anyone knows of another supplement where they are, I'll allow it.

I pulled this off a post on the FFG forums

Aleena - Nexus of Power
Aqualish (Aquala) - Dangerous Covenants
Aqualish (Quara) - Dangerous Covenants
Aqualish (Ualaq) - Dangerous Covenants
Arcona - Far Horizons
Bardottan - Nexus of Power
Besalisk - Special Modifications
Bothan - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Caamasi - Desperate Allies
Cerean - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Chadra-Fan - Stay on Target
Chagrian - Lead By Example
Chevin - Far Horizons
Chiss - Enter the Unknown
Devaronian - Nexus of Power
Drall - Suns of Fortune
Dressellian - Stay on Target
Droid - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Dug - Special Modifications
Duros - Enter the Unknown, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Falleen - Fly Casual
Gand - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Gossam - Desperate Allies
Gotal - Fly Casual
Gank - Lord of Nal Hutta
Gran - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, Far Horizons
Gungan - Nexus of Power
Human - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, Force And Destiny Core Rulebook
Human, Corellian - Suns of Fortune
Hutt - Lord of Nal Hutta
Iktochi - Keeping the Peace
Ishitib - Lead by Example
Ithorian - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Kel Dor - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Klatooinian - Dangerous Covenants
Lanniks - Keeping the Peace, Lead by Example
Mirialan - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Mon Calamari - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Mustafarian (Northern) - Special Modifications
Mustafarian (Southern) - Special Modifications
Nautolan - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Neimoidian - Desperate Allies
Nikto (Green) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Mountain) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Pale) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Red) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Southern) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Polis Massan - Strongholds of Resistance
Quarren - Fly Casual, Strongholds of Resistance
Rodian - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Sakiyan - Lord of Nal Hutta
Sathari - Chronicles of the Gatekeeper
Selonian - Suns of Fortune
Sullustan - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Togruta - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Toydarian - Enter the Unknown
Trandoshan - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Twi'Lek - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Verpine - Strongholds of Resistance
Weequay - Dangerous Covenants
Whiphids - Keeping the Peace
Wookiee - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Xexto - Stay on Target
Zabrak - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Datawych

Well in that case...

Chiss
Attributes: +1 Intellect, -1 Presence
Wound Threshold: 10 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower
Starting XP: 100
Skills: +1 Cool
Racial: Remove 1 setback die applied to checks due to poor lighting conditions.

Go for it. :P

Lockepick

Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Datawych on May 24, 2016, 04:09:44 PM
Go for it. :P

Cheers :)

I'll update the character a bit with some background.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Datawych

A few houserules to better reflect the mood of the Jedi Inquisition

• It Takes a Village - Until the Council is satisfied that the Sith have been purged from the Order, the single Padawan-single Master tradition has been suspended. The Order wants to ensure that no Padawan is taught exclusively by any single Jedi, in case that Jedi is actually a Sith agent. Small groups of Padawan are presided over by 2 or more Jedi, operating autonomously or assisting the Jedi directly as needed.
    Effects: the basic forms of Enhance, Forsee, Heal/Harm, Influence, Misdirect, Move, Seek, and Sense powers may be purchased for 5 XP, instead of 10. Purchasing a second specialization costs only 10 XP (5 if it is the same career as your first specialization).
  • Formal Force Training - There are firmly established levels of achievement within the Jedi Order, and neophytes must demonstrate sufficient mastery of multiple different subjects before advancing to a higher rank. After reaching the first rank of achievement, a Padawan is considered competent enough to operate semi-independently. From there, a Padawan achieves knighthood once able to demonstrate that he or she is capable of successfully completing tasks assigned by the council without any assistance from his/her Master(s).
    Effects: I'm aware that a major reason most people are interested in a Force & Destiny game specifically is because lightsabers are awesome. But I do think there is value in the PCs having a few adventures where they don't yet have that as a fallback. Characters begin with 75 XP. 50 of this XP must be spent on talents and skills, while the remaining 25 must be spent on Force powers. 'Knight-level' is achieved at 150 XP (think Obi-Wan at the beginning of tPM or Akakin in AotC), ~100 XP on skills/talents, ~50 XP on force powers. However, a Jedi is not considered to have come into his/her own as a Jedi Knight until around 225 XP (~150 skills/talents, ~75 Force powers).

TheGlyphstone

If Hutts are an option, I've always wanted the opportunity to play a Huttling/young Hutt, when they're in their 'active hyper-muscular slug' phase rather than sessile adulthood, and there's at least one canonical Hutt Jedi. Sure, he fell to the Dark Side eventually, but where's the fun without risk?

EDIT: As for how someone as fundamentally selfish as a Hutt becomes a Jedi to begin with? Challenging, but I think I could segue the natural Hutt egotism into a weird sort of nobless oblige - they're obviously stronger and better than regular people, so a little altruism couldn't hurt. Especially if it pays off down the line with respect or material rewards.

Feeling a Warrior (Aggressor) fits the mentality best, probably specializing in Move/Force Pull to compensate for his ponderous nature.

------
Name: Kadduth Shuusch
Species: Hutt
Career: Warrior (Aggressor)
Signature Force Power: Move (Force Pull)

Jaded

Name: Ora'sade
Species: Twi'lek
Career: Seeker (Ataru Striker)
Signature Force power: Enhance or Influence probably.

Tentative Skills: Charm*, Piloting (Space), Ranged (Heavy), Vigilance, Athletics, Lightsaber

A diplomat at heart, Ora was trained in the belief that if diplomacy devolves into violence, one must be prepared to end things quickly. 

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 24, 2016, 08:01:15 PM
If Hutts are an option, I've always wanted the opportunity to play a Huttling/young Hutt, when they're in their 'active hyper-muscular slug' phase rather than sessile adulthood, and there's at least one canonical Hutt Jedi. Sure, he fell to the Dark Side eventually, but where's the fun without risk?

EDIT: As for how someone as fundamentally selfish as a Hutt becomes a Jedi to begin with? Challenging, but I think I could segue the natural Hutt egotism into a weird sort of nobless oblige - they're obviously stronger and better than regular people, so a little altruism couldn't hurt. Especially if it pays off down the line with respect or material rewards.

Feeling a Warrior (Aggressor) fits the mentality best, probably specializing in Move/Force Pull to compensate for his ponderous nature.

------
Name: Kadduth Shuusch
Species: Hutt
Career: Warrior (Aggressor)
Signature Force Power: Move (Force Pull)
I might also recommend looking at Niman Disciple. The Draw Closer talent actually allows a character to use Force pull ass part of a lightsaber attack.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Datawych on May 25, 2016, 12:10:16 AM
I might also recommend looking at Niman Disciple. The Draw Closer talent actually allows a character to use Force pull ass part of a lightsaber attack.

I actually considered that when I looked at the charts, but the mentality of a Consular doesn't fit a Hutt at all. Getting Draw Closer would cost 10XP to unlock the tree and 65 XP worth of talents along the cheapest route, so it's not practical as a starting character. It's something I'd like to build towards in play, though - the description of form VI is precisely how a Jedi with limited mobility would fight. Warrior to start with, branch out later on and become a Niman Disciple as well.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 12:21:17 AM
I actually considered that when I looked at the charts, but the mentality of a Consular doesn't fit a Hutt at all. Getting Draw Closer would cost 10XP to unlock the tree and 65 XP worth of talents along the cheapest route, so it's not practical as a starting character. It's something I'd like to build towards in play, though - the description of form VI is precisely how a Jedi with limited mobility would fight. Warrior to start with, branch out later on and become a Niman Disciple as well.
I actually really like this idea, so I'm willing to work with you a bit on it. My gut-instinct, steam of consciousness writeup would be something like this...

Juvenile Hutt
Attributes: 4 Brawn, 1 Agility, 2 Intellect, 2 Cunning, 1 Willpower, 2 Presence
Wound Threshold: 12 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 8 + Willpower
Starting XP: 100
Skills: +1 Cool or +1 Negotiation
Racial: Hutts are ponderously slow, but their muscular bodies allow for surprisingly fast - if brief - bursts of movement. Hutts move at one-half normal speed, but move at triple speed rather than double if they spend 2 maneuvers to move.

TheGlyphstone

Lords of Nal Hutta has this as the 'official' Hutt statline:

Attributes: 3 Brawn, 1 Agility, 2 Intellect, 2 Cunning, 3 Willpower, 2 Presence
Wound Threshold: 13+Brawn
Strain Threshold: 11+Willpower
Starting Experience: 70
Skills: +1 Coercion or +1 Discipline
Talents: +1 Enduring and +1 Nobody's Fool
Racial: Ponderous - may only spend one maneuver to Move per turn.

Presumably it's for a mature-but-still-young Hutt, one who's out and about rather than old and sessile, but an outright juvenile hutt might be different if you want. I'm happy using the LoNH statblock though, and I do like your version of Ponderous better than the default.