News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Is the official, finished Dark Heresy 2E out? If so, I think I might want to buy that...

HairyHeretic

Have it, but haven't sat down to read it yet. Is there much different to 1st?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 07, 2014, 04:30:11 PM
Have it, but haven't sat down to read it yet. Is there much different to 1st?

Character progression is entirely different. Instead of the set ability progressions of DH1e, it uses the 'Aptitude' system introduced in Only War. YMMV on which is better.

Life on Mars

Gotta go with the "Aptitude" system. Let's you have a lot more control over your character's progression, though I haven't seen the 2nd edition way of doing it yet.

HairyHeretic

Only War is the only 40k RPG I never really looked at. It felt to me like Only War, and I suppose Deatch Watch perhaps to a lesser degree, seemed to have a very limited gameplay potential (Fight! Fight! Fight!), in comparison to Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader and Black Crusade.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Life on Mars

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 07, 2014, 05:00:58 PM
Only War is the only 40k RPG I never really looked at. It felt to me like Only War, and I suppose Deatch Watch perhaps to a lesser degree, seemed to have a very limited gameplay potential (Fight! Fight! Fight!), in comparison to Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader and Black Crusade.

That's true to a degree as they certainly focus more on combat than the others. But it is also all in how they are run. I've played an excellent Deathwatch game where we were investigating a space hulk and though it was combat heavy we also had alot of rp potential in deciding how leadership worked and using our various strengths together. Then we had dealing with human survivors, on whether we would help them, abandon them, or even kill them least they turn on us.

The Only War game I was in was pretty much fighting, but we had expected that and liked it = )

If there was any game I would love to run here it would be Black Crusade. Chaos-worshiping Heretics make great fun and it great roleplaying the plots and plans. Plus the book includes a great starter adventure I could go with at any time.

HairyHeretic

I'd love to get a Black Crusade game myself, but they seem very hard to keep going.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Life on Mars

Then follow me brother and I shall lead you on the glorious path of chaos. For while we talk here the cursed Imperium of Man still stands and that blasted corpse emperor mocks us from his throne of lies. Shall we simple stand here while those deluded fuels under his fascist rule remain ignorant of the bloodlust of Khorne? The inhuman pleasures of Slaneesh? The thrill of mutation under Tzeentch? Or the inevitable rot of papa Nurgle?

I say nay.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thorne

I sense a game that might be worth lurking. *sage nod*
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

TheGlyphstone

Life on Mars

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 08, 2014, 01:36:50 AM
Just As Planned.

Well now we HAVE to get a game going since someone has already started the Tzeentch quoting.

Beorning

So, today I went to the GW shop once again. I talked to the shop guy... confirmed that the "free delivery to GW shops" mentioned on GW website works...

... and I fear I kind of broke the miniature the shop guy was painting...  ::)

HairyHeretic

Hopefully it wasn't anything too important.

I spent part of this weekend converting and assembling the first of my new Night Lords army. Nothing painted yet, as I need to work out the colour scheme first and what paints I want to use. I'm aiming for a pre Heresy colour scheme as a base, so something like this.

Still, have almost a full squad done up. Some non standard stuff in there .. lots of it tbh, but I can handwave it with 'counts as' when using it on the table. It will look cool, and that is the important bit :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Life on Mars

That's pretty cool. I liked looking at people's miniatures and watching battle games back at college. I have a friend who is pretty into it and working on a chaos army if I recall correctly. He's apparently cut off bits of some miniatures and glued them onto others to make them look better. Is that common?

In other news, I was approved! Now I can get to work on a Black Crusade game here. Thought I would just see if the people who showed interest here wanted in on such a thing before I made any request threads though.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 08, 2014, 07:23:11 PM
That's pretty cool. I liked looking at people's miniatures and watching battle games back at college. I have a friend who is pretty into it and working on a chaos army if I recall correctly. He's apparently cut off bits of some miniatures and glued them onto others to make them look better. Is that common?

Pretty common. With the plastic kits, you have a lot of freedom in what you want to do with a particular model. Most of the Marine ones are compatable with each other .. I used a lot of Space Wolf plastics with my chaos renegades. When you add in 3rd party companies creating 'heroic 28mm scale' parts (which everyone knows are GW compatables) then your range increases further.

I'll post up a few of mine once I get the chance to snap a few pics in daylight.

In other news, I was approved! Now I can get to work on a Black Crusade game here. Thought I would just see if the people who showed interest here wanted in on such a thing before I made any request threads though.

I'd certainly be game. Put up an interest thread in the group games section and you'll probably get quite a few interested parties.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Heck yeah.

Beorning

I definitely would be interested, too!

HairyHeretic

Here's a couple of threads which I'm using as inspiration for my own conversions.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/172506-night-lords-18th-battle-company/

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/286362-the-night-lords-gallery/

The 'obliteration teams' are something that I think I first saw in the first thread, having a pair of Marines with heavy weaponry on a large base as opposed to the regular obliterator models.

I'm thinking of a biker unit modeled up after the Wild Hunt, so using a mixture of biker and chaos knight parts.

I also plan on having a unit wielding sonic weapons. They're not traditionally a weapon used by anyone other than Noise Marines, however I came across this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Certain low frequency noise can cause feelings of dread in people, and since Night Lords are all about the fear, that seemed a perfect thing to write into my army.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Out of curiosity: would you be coming up with some sort of original rules for this kind of weaponry?

On another note: I may be trying to buy (well, order) my first miniatures this week... I have worked out everything I need (and can buy for the meager money I have right now). The one thing that stops is one concern: will I be able to work on such small objects? Or will my eyes give up on me? Maybe all of this will turn out to be a waste of money...

But I guess I'll never know if I don't try...

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on September 10, 2014, 04:50:29 PM
Out of curiosity: would you be coming up with some sort of original rules for this kind of weaponry?

No, I'll just field them as regular Noise Marines when I use them. The low frequency noise would be more background related.

Quote from: Beorning on September 10, 2014, 04:50:29 PM
On another note: I may be trying to buy (well, order) my first miniatures this week... I have worked out everything I need (and can buy for the meager money I have right now). The one thing that stops is one concern: will I be able to work on such small objects? Or will my eyes give up on me? Maybe all of this will turn out to be a waste of money...

But I guess I'll never know if I don't try...

Buy a single box of minis, and a few paints. It's a minimal investment. Try them, and if it doesn't work out, then you won't be spending too much.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 10, 2014, 04:54:26 PM
Buy a single box of minis, and a few paints. It's a minimal investment. Try them, and if it doesn't work out, then you won't be spending too much.

That's the plan: one box of minis and paints I think I'll need to paint them. It'll cost me about $70.

The annoying thing is, $70 is all I have for hobbies right now. So, I'm a bit torn between buying minis and buying Dark Heresy 2E. But I'm more inclined toward the minis, as it's something new - and I'd really like to try doing something new...

Life on Mars

Thanks HairyHeretic! That's some neat stuff there.

Also I recently picked up the Dark Heresy 2nd edition rules. This stuff is pretty neat, apparently you can make an unsanctioned psyker for almost any background now (Psyker Tech-Priest for the win!) Just don't let anyone beside your Inquisitor find out. Of course that's the GM's call if you can do it. I'll be playing tomorrow night with some friends in real life so I'll let you all know how it is in practice.

Oh, and I posted an interest thread in the group section for Black Crusade: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=213270.0

HairyHeretic

So, here's some of my initial Night Lords work. Apologies for the quality, these were snapped with my phone this morning.

This guy will be a regular squad commander. There are parts from a number of models there. His sword arm came off an old metal terminator lord, the storm bolter in his other hand got swiped from the Space Wolves plastics. I think his backpack originally belong to Cypher, and his left shoulder pad is 3rd party. The squad leaders and other more important characters will be marked by more ornate helmets.

Another squad leader. Chainsword from the new raptors, powerfist from the Space Wolves plastics, with the wolfy insignia mostly filed off. You can see the shoulder pad better in this shot. It's not the official Night Lords insignia, but since they use a winged skull, this is close enough that everyone will recognise it. Chaos has a lot more freedom to do stuff like this than loyalist marine forces.

Another squad leader. The Nostraman Chainglaive is a Horus Heresy era weapon. Technically the rules don't exist for it in regular 40k, but its about on par with a powersword, so that's more or less how I'll use it.

This conversion used arms from a fantasy chaos warrior and chaos biker. The difference in colour is down to fact they used to be on another model that I had undercoated. They were going to be Chosen of Khorne, back about 4th edition, but I never quite got them finished off.

Regular rank and file troopers. The guy on the left sort of looks like a breaching squad member with the big shield. Again, Horus Heresy rather than 40k era, but I can call it a close combat weapon. The guy in the middle has an older metal autocannon, the one on the right has a chainsword from the new Raptors plastics.

So, Chaos technically can't have snipers, but I love the idea of them. In game, he'll either count as a regular bolter armed marine, or I'll say it's a plasmagun or something. I've added a sniper scope since I took the picture earlier today.

These will be my 'counts as' Obliterators. I'll magnatise their bases and mount them on a single large base when using them as Obliterators. If not, I can use them as heavy / special weapons, or even a squad leader.

This is another obliteration team member, who will pull double duty as a squad leader. His combi weapon and trophy rack came off the Terminators set, his left arm lightning claw from the Raptors.

I haven't started painting them yet, as my painting ability is only average, and I want to test the paint scheme on something expendible before I do it on anything good.

I do enjoy my converting though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Seems like a lot of precise work! Show us more photos when you start painting!

BTW. Why do the WH40K characters carry those immense backpacks? With pipes, electrodes and stuff coming out of them? The Sisters have them, too...