News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Talk about police checkpoints and instituting fashion-model standards via body-mass index.

Alos, I learned that perfectly sculpted six-pack abs are quite unhealthy for men to have. Did not know that.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dimir

An Idaho and Wasington State fugitive named Arturo Mendoza was arrested after officers responded to an accidental 911 call placed by a child. LOL.

http://www.idahopress.com/news/washington-state-fugitive-captured-in-nampa/article_29f34df2-b6dd-11e4-9413-0f1a87b31ec1.html?mode=jqm

My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Dimir on February 17, 2015, 03:27:46 PM
An Idaho and Wasington State fugitive named Arturo Mendoza was arrested after officers responded to an accidental 911 call placed by a child. LOL.

http://www.idahopress.com/news/washington-state-fugitive-captured-in-nampa/article_29f34df2-b6dd-11e4-9413-0f1a87b31ec1.html?mode=jqm

Best part of that article:

A police robot found Mendoza sleeping in a bedroom, Ramirez stated. He left the home and surrendered without incident.

Dimir

I follow true crime cases a lot so I love it when fugitives get caught because of amusing reasons and when their apprehensions go off without anyone getting hurt.

Caehlim

In Melbourne, police fined a driver for playing a trumpet while driving. They had reports he was driving erratically and went to investigate resulting in the following line.

QuotePolice managed to catch up with the car and pulled alongside it to check on the driver. To their shock, they saw the man was playing the brass instrument as he drove.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Kythia

While over here the Church has sent a letter to parliament complaining about political culture, social issues being used as political football and a fostered sense of apathy.  It's being widely viewed as an attack on the ruling coalition but probably wasn't deliberately - as a organisation the Church sits far more to the left than the Conservatives so putting its view forwards is necessarily going to look like an attack.

Full text for those interested, very few I would suspect.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on February 17, 2015, 08:42:56 PM
I just - I have no words.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/oklahoma-legislative-committee-questions-legality-of-advanced-placement-courses-in/article_2b257556-b62c-5a92-862e-8e9821a29bbc.html

I'm more concerned about the bit at the end where they suspended using letter grades. Can't like Susy Snowflake be graded on her performance instead of her effort and participation, can we?

Oniya

I looked into that one, too - it appears to be directed at the grading of schools, not the grading of students.  Is the school performing up to snuff with other schools.  It also states that whatever 'mark' the school receives this year, will be carried over for the 2015-2016 session, so schools will simply have no improvement or decline during that time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Huh, okay. That's slightly less mindboggling.

consortium11

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 17, 2015, 08:46:58 PM
I'm more concerned about the bit at the end where they suspended using letter grades. Can't like Susy Snowflake be graded on her performance instead of her effort and participation, can we?

I don't think that's what it does; having glanced over the bill itself it appears to do with rating the schools rather than the students.

Edit: Oniya beat me to it.

Valthazar

As side point, there is a totally unrelated movement to do away with A-F student grading (especially in elementary schools).  A lot of times, the process of learning requires kids to grow at their own pace.  Getting a C is intended to give the student feedback on what they should focus on for next time.  But all too often, a C is seen as "failure" - resulting in crying and arguments at home.  The parent sees a "C" on a report card, freaks out, and then pressures the student unnecessarily.  This often leads to taking shortcuts, cheating, and overall bad education. 

Don't worry though, number/letting grading is here to stay with common core.  (I'm not a fan of common core).

Dimir

Wen Yen Gold, a fugitive out of California sought for four years in connection with a human trafficking investigation, turned herself in yesterday morning.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/02/18/human-sex-trafficking-bay-area-hayward-fugitive/

AndyZ

An Egyptian court put a student in jail for promoting atheism and insulting Islam.

http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-jails-student-over-facebook-atheism-page-184147297.html
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheGlyphstone

AndyZ

Sorry, didn't realize this was now a rather common ordeal over there.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheGlyphstone

I don't know about common, but the link even mentions that another student was jailed in January for the exact same crime.

Kythia

The One Ring Suspension kid from upthread?  Yeah, not true

Hemingway

So, one of the largest newspapers here literally posted a 'you won't believe'-type article about quotes from one of the parties currently in government. I've never seen that before. Now, I have nothing but contempt for that party, but . . .

Nah, I'm kidding. They really deserve it, with the sort rhetoric they spew, using the recent shooting in Copenhagen as fuel for their anti-muslim rhetoric. Even the prime minister called them out on it - and they're supposed to be in a coalition!

Caehlim

Fiona Patten, leader of the Australian Sex Party, has just been elected in the Victorian state elections being the first member of that party to win a seat.

As she says "Indeed I may be the first former sex worker to be elected to a parliament anywhere in this country, although no doubt the clients of sex workers have been elected in much greater numbers before me."
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

TheGlyphstone

Man, Australia is awesome sometimes. Pity about your insane censorship/game import laws, and the whole 'every living wild creature on the continent has a single-minded desire to murder you' thing.

Kythia

Prince Harry and Emma Watson are dating?  I think?  That seems to be the news but its pretty weird.

consortium11

Quote from: Kythia on February 21, 2015, 12:23:54 PM
Prince Harry and Emma Watson are dating?  I think?  That seems to be the news but its pretty weird.

Emma Watson may say that feminism liberates men from gender stereotypes but if you want to actually date Emma Watson then you'd better be either a tall, handsome, Oxford student and rugby player or an incredibly rich international playboy soldier who gets his own share of "sexiest" accolades and just happens to be a prince.

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on February 21, 2015, 12:23:54 PM

Huh.

Somewhat bizarre news from here: a theatre troupe named Pożar w Burdelu (Fire in the Whorehouse) tried to have their name patented as a trademark. But the Patent Office refused to issue a patent on the grounds that the name was indecent...  ::)

In another news, Warsaw lost one of its bridges last Saturday. It's a kind of mind-boggling situation, really: apparently, some planks lying next to the bridge somehow went on fire. That small fire spread to wooden installation inside the bridge... and that caused a massive fire that managed to damage the bridge itself. Now the whole bridge will have to taken apart and repaired - which, according to the authorities, is going to take over a year. As a Warsaw resident, I can tell that this situation is just fantastic  ::)

In yet another news, the Polish presidential campaigs intensifies. Some more candidates appear - for once, the left side of the political spectrum will be represented by four possible candidates. Not that any of them has any chance of winning... Also, the enigmatic Magdalena Ogórek (who has not appeared publicly since having been nominated as a candidate) finally presented some ideas for her presidency - in an emotional, yet scripted, speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4y_mrhm3vw

She still refuses to answer any questions asked by any media, though, making her campaign seem quite bizarre...

TheGlyphstone

...Can you translate the gist of it for the non-Polish speakers? What makes her enigmatic and/or bizarre?